Smoothies!

Options
ruthmfrey
ruthmfrey Posts: 17 Member
Im a smoothie newbie, and whenever I try to make them myself they turn out awful! So please share with me your favorite - and simple - smoothie recipes. Thanks!

Replies

• jhloves2knit
    jhloves2knit Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I make an afternoon "pick me up" of ice, leftover coffee, a scoop of chocolate protein powder, half a mashed banana, and Truvia (or other sweetener) to taste. I put it in the blender until it's smooth. It's healthy and gives me energy.

I've seen a lot of smoothie recipes in threads. Just search for "smoothie" and you'll see them.
  • iKapuniai
    iKapuniai Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    Here's my favorite:

1 can of V8 Fusion Blueberry Pomegranate energy drink (50 cals)
    1/3c frozen blueberries
    1/2 frozen banana
    1/3c frozen raspberries
    1c spinach
    1-3 TB hemp seeds
    .5c Fage greek yogurt

This exact recipe usually turns out to be about 400 calories. Sometimes I'd rather not have so many calories in a smoothie, so I'll get rid of the greek yogurt, and cut the hemp seeds down to 1TB, which brings the calorie count down to about 225, of course that cuts out practically all of the protein as well.

Smoothies are pretty hard to mess up.

For the perfect (and nutrient dense) smoothies, you'll need...
    1. A liquid.
    Water, tea, kefir/drinkable yogurt or juice [I use organic 100% juice - preferably one with fruits and veggies in it.)

2. Fresh/frozen fruit
    This is where you really get to play around with flavors. I buy fresh seasonal fruit while they're cheap, chop it up and freeze them in individually gallon size bags. My frozen fruit staples are blueberries, raspberries, strawberries and bananas. I also have mango, pineapple, papaya and avocado, though sometimes those are harder to freeze.

3. Fresh vegetables - Optional.
    This is how I get my extra greens in my diet. I usually go for fresh spinach and/or kale. Spinach is mild in flavor, so it won't be quite as noticeable as kale. I also use avocado, carrots, tomatoes, squash, etc. You really have to experiment with these as well, some veggies are very strong and can really overpower everything else. But still, great way to get extra veggies in, especially if you don't necessary like to 'eat' them... like me. lol

4. Protein
    I use hemp seeds, which are very high in calories, but uber healthy.
    I also use Fage greek yogurt... must be fage. I love fage. <3<3<3 lol Any greek yogurt would work though, obviously.
    I've also used silken tofu, which is okay but not my favorite.
    Of course, there's always the protein powder. I prefer to drink my protein powders solo though, but to each their own.
    And if you're a hardcore body builder not afraid of possibly contracting salmonella or other nasties, there's always raw eggs lol Buuutttt I prefer my eggs over easy on toast. :)

5. Herbs/Spices/Seeds - Optional.
    If you're into health, super-fruits, interior-healing herbs and all that good stuff, there's also a lot of spices and herbs you could add to your smoothies. Couple of my favorites in this category are cinnamon, ginger, chia seeds, hemp seeds, and walnuts. Not necessarily together lol Depending on the flavors I decide to go with. Mint is a good one. I've heard of people using basil and other odd sounding things, but whatever floats your boat.

Anyhow, do your research, there's all kinds of crazy fruit/veggie/spice combinations when it comes to smoothies. Possibilities are literally endless.

But please... whatever you do... don't juice. It's such a waste of the pulp, which is basically where all the nutrients are. While juicing is great, being able to eat the entire fruit, insides and out, while taking advantage of the health benefits that the fruit/veggie in its entirety has to offer, is much better.

Good luck! :)
  • iKapuniai
    iKapuniai Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    Here's a great website that has TONS of smoothie recipes, and you can choose to look for recipes that include a certain fruit/flavor:

http://www.incrediblesmoothies.com/green-smoothie-recipes/

I LOVE SMOOTHIES!! :)
  • ruthmfrey
    ruthmfrey Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    wow! thanks for the great info guys! I will be trying out these recipes shortly :)
  • Jilleelicious
    Jilleelicious Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    The secret for me is to keep it thin! We are talking green smoothies, right? I get some awesome chai green tea in the bulk section of the grocery store, brew it in my coffee pot and a pot is a weeks worth. I pour in about a cup or so add a couple leaves, a banana, I eat raw farm eggs(so good for your hair), smoothie shakedown protein powder and some frozen fruit. You can always top it off with real coco or cinnamon. Spices are so healthy!!!
  • k2charmed4u
    Options
    Yikes shouldn't have asked this I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE smoothies. My absolute fav is the most simple one Banana.

1. Banana Smoothie - 1 Banana, 1tbsp of honey, cinnamon/nutmeg and Milk.
    2. Banana & Strawberry - 1 Banana, 5 strawberries and milk.
    3. Banana & Mango - 1 Banana, 1/2 mango, honey and milk.
    4. Banana & papaya - 1 Banana, 1/2 papaya, honey and milk.
    5. Banana & Blueberries - 1 Banana, a handful of blueberries, honey and milk.
    6. Banana & Apple - 1 Banana & 1 apple, cinnamon and milk.

As you can see I love bananas and I love honey lol :laugh:
  • Mini_horse_lover
    Mini_horse_lover Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I personally just have 2 or 3 (sometimes more, depends how hungry i am) scoops vanilla protein powder, 200ml unsweetened almond milk with either half a banana and a few strawberries or both. :)
  • crystalhorodyski
    Options
    Yeah, every morning this week I've been having this smoothie:
    1 frozen banana
    1/2 cup frozen blueberries
    1 cup vanilla almond milk
    1 big leaf of kale
    lots of cinnamon!

YUM!
  • teelynn35
    teelynn35 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    my fave is 2 handfuls of spinach or baby kale, 1 cup of any frozen fruit, 1 cup vanilla milk and 1 scoop vanilla whey protein. YUMMY!! Not too mention a very pretty green color :)
  • CTONDO
    CTONDO Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Here is my favorite. I have it every morning after my workout. It is so yummy.

1 packet of stevia
    1/2 C. Almond Milk - Original - Unsweetened
    1 tbsp. ground flaxseed
    1/4 cup frozen blueberries
    1/2 banana mashed
    1 scoop Vanilla protein powder (optional)
  • CTONDO
    CTONDO Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I make a similar one but without the kale. I have yet to try kale. Can you taste it your smoothy?
  • Marrowshard
    Options
    Kale definitely has a flavor ... I make a lunch smoothie that's:

1/2 cup coconut water
    1 cup almond milk
    1/2 cup raspberries
    2 cups loose kale
    4 oz. Greek yogurt

Tasty, but the kale tends to be strong. Use baby kale if you can, otherwise prepare for a slightly bitter tone. Using a sweetener can help cut that but for me it adds too many calories and I don't use artificial sweeteners.
  • TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    This one of my favorites. It's low in calories, high in protein, and tastes like dessert!

1 cup plain Greek Yogurt
    1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
    1 cup frozen dark cherries
    1 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
    1 tsp vanilla extract

225 calories and 25g protein!
  • BringingSherriBack
    BringingSherriBack Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    1 can of diet Sunkist soda
    1 scoop of Vanilla protein powder
    lots of ice

Put ice in blender, put in protein powder, pour entire can of soda over the ice and powder and blend until smooth. You can make it as thin or as thick as you like depending on how much ice you use. I like mine thick like a milkshake.

Tastes like a dreamsicle.
  • lqmustang
    lqmustang Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    My current favorite tastes like a wendys frosty

1 cup unsweetened almond milk
    1 banana
    1.5 tablespoons hershey's cocoa
    1 tsp agave sweetener
    1 scoop vanilla protein powder
    as much ice as your blender can handle to make it thick

totals right around 300 calories
  • paleojoe
    paleojoe Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Love smoothies... here is my go to site...

http://www.youtube.com/user/GreenRegimen?feature=watch

This morning I made a smoothie of...
    2 cups almond milk
    1 banana
    1 cup frozen strawberries
    1 pear
    1.5 cup spinach
    2 raw eggs
    2 tbsp peanut butter
  • lorrierobertson
    Options
    If your looking for low calories-

1 cucumber peeled
    2 handfuls of berries (your choice.. raspberries, blackberries..etc)
    1 handful of spinach

the cucumber should have enough juice in it but you could also add some orange juice, cordial or other fruit juice.. reeeally refreshing, healthy and around 60calories!!

favourite breakfast smoothie:

1 banana
    2 handfuls of any berries
    150g low fat greek yoghurt
    1 cup orange juice
    30g oats (optional)
  • FarTooJones
    Options
    I keep mine pretty basic, frozen fruit, cup of almond milk and a scoop and meal replacement shake. I made one this morning using orange juice instead of frozen fruit, and it was really good, almost like drinking an orange julius.
  • ayamagali
    ayamagali Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I usually do half and half with soy milk and water, some kind of fruit, cocoa powder because I'm a chocolate fiend, some type of leafy greens (even my salad mix), and rolled oats. And stevia to taste. But, here's a delightful combo for when I want to diverge from chocolate. Tastes like cookies.

1 banana
    1/4 cup rolled oats
    1 cup milk of choice
    1/2 tsp cinnamon
    a dash of ground cardamom
    1 tbsp raisins (I usually soak em in the milk overnight so they blend better)

Another fun idea to change things up is adding fresh basil or mint. I like both with peaches.
  • evanblove
    evanblove Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    1 small banana, 3/4 cup frozen fruit, 1/2 cup different frozen fruit, 1/2 cup greek (or other) yogurt
    I put this together in my blender cup at night and blend in the morning. If blending while fruit is still frozen, you will need a liquid

I started doing green smoothies recently:
    3/4 cup frozen fruit, 1 cup baby spinach, 1/2 cup coconut water, 1 banana

try http://simplegreensmoothies.com/ for other ideas