Ketogenic diet meal plan?

Options
2»

Replies

• JaimeLaRae
    JaimeLaRae Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Excellent reading on the bodybuilding.com thread, thanks!
  • Deedee0075
    Deedee0075 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I didn't realize before that the fat intake would be upped to that degree. All the answers changed my mind, I'm on my first day today and feel great :) Buying the ketostix tomorrow, how long does it usually take for one to get into ketosis? I know it depends on the person and how they eat, but is 3 days a safe bet?

On the second day I was able to test. Working out and burning those little carbs will help achieve a darker purple color.

I think a lot of people here are confused about ketosis. I am a fan of eating low carb - I've been doing it forever. I don't eat rice, pasta, potatoes, bread (although it is my weakness), beans, sugar...etc. Ketosis is DIFFERENT - consuming 10 - 20 grams of carbs a day ONLY. Some veggies will take you way over that. When you add up the carbs in cheese and chewing gum alone, it could take you to 20 grams in a day.
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    I can tell you right now that any diet that requires you to be in a state of ketosis isn't going to last that long. You'll lose weight quickly but it will all come back just as fast. I have put my body in a state of ketosis during induction on Atkins. You can purchase ketostix to check your level of ketosis but honestly - this is not something that you want to do for long.

Disagree. Been doing this type of thing for years and it's the only diet I can tolerate for long periods of time. Works very well for me.

Also- What diet DON'T you gain weight back from if you start eating crap again?

There is a HUGE difference between eating low carb which I have been doing for over 10 years and being in a state of ketosis for 10 years. I needed to consume less than 20 grams of carbs a day to test for ketosis - and I don't know ANYONE who can do this forever. If you can do it, more power to you. But she asked for feedback and this is my feedback whether you agree with it or not.

Induction provokes a higher degree of ketone production in the body. Maintenance low carb, ongoing weight loss, etc. will still provoke moderate ketone production in the body, as will a 24 hour intermittent fast, as well as calorie reduction in a non-low carber over a period of time.

The carb curve to which this occurs depends on the person. They can test with Ketostix to see where they're at on the keto scale.

Even at 50grams carbohydrate intake, I'm still in ketosis.
  • MissKim
    MissKim Posts: 2,853 Member
    Options
    I didn't realize before that the fat intake would be upped to that degree. All the answers changed my mind, I'm on my first day today and feel great :) Buying the ketostix tomorrow, how long does it usually take for one to get into ketosis? I know it depends on the person and how they eat, but is 3 days a safe bet?

On the second day I was able to test. Working out and burning those little carbs will help achieve a darker purple color.

I think a lot of people here are confused about ketosis. I am a fan of eating low carb - I've been doing it forever. I don't eat rice, pasta, potatoes, bread (although it is my weakness), beans, sugar...etc. Ketosis is DIFFERENT - consuming 10 - 20 grams of carbs a day ONLY. Some veggies will take you way over that. When you add up the carbs in cheese and chewing gum alone, it could take you to 20 grams in a day.

yeah, that's not true. everyone goes into some form of ketosis at some time or another. everyone secretes some ketones if your losing weight. (ketosis is basically burning fat for fuel) if you go without eating for a few hours, your body can start using ketones. if you have a really hard workout after fasting all night first thing in the morning, your body can start using them. Anyone doing any form of low carb goes in and out of ketosis. and everybody is different. some people can stay in ketosis at anything under 100 grams. some people it may take a strict severe zero carb diet. You just have to find what works for you.
  • Deedee0075
    Deedee0075 Posts: 78 Member
    Options

yeah, that's not true. everyone goes into some form of ketosis at some time or another. everyone secretes some ketones if your losing weight. (ketosis is basically burning fat for fuel) if you go without eating for a few hours, your body can start using ketones. if you have a really hard workout after fasting all night first thing in the morning, your body can start using them. Anyone doing any form of low carb goes in and out of ketosis. and everybody is different. some people can stay in ketosis at anything under 100 grams. some people it may take a strict severe zero carb diet. You just have to find what works for you.

Ok, so then what is the difference between Atkins and a Ketogenic diet? According to Wiki, "Russel Wilder, at the Mayo Clinic, built on this research and coined the term ketogenic diet to describe a diet that produced a HIGH level of ketones in the blood (ketonemia) through an excess of fat and lack of carbohydrate."

I could believe that a person could enter ketosis with 50 grams of carbs depending on how heavy a person is. I considered myself to be pretty heavy but there were times that I would get a negative result even while consuming approximately 25-35 grams of carbs per day.
  • cacrat
    cacrat Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Atkins is a form of a ketogenic diet. But nit all ketogenic diets fit within the Adkins protocols. Like squares and rectangles.
  • beernutz
    beernutz Posts: 136
    Options
    I can tell you right now that any diet that requires you to be in a state of ketosis isn't going to last that long. You'll lose weight quickly but it will all come back just as fast. I have put my body in a state of ketosis during induction on Atkins. You can purchase ketostix to check your level of ketosis but honestly - this is not something that you want to do for long.

Disagree. Been doing this type of thing for years and it's the only diet I can tolerate for long periods of time. Works very well for me.

Also- What diet DON'T you gain weight back from if you start eating crap again?

There is a HUGE difference between eating low carb which I have been doing for over 10 years and being in a state of ketosis for 10 years. I needed to consume less than 20 grams of carbs a day to test for ketosis - and I don't know ANYONE who can do this forever. If you can do it, more power to you. But she asked for feedback and this is my feedback whether you agree with it or not.
    That may be true for you but many people can be in a state of ketosis while eating much higher amounts of carbs than 20 grams. And just because you don't know any, doesn't mean there aren't people who eat very small amounts of carbs forever. I have friends who've done almost zero carb diets for more than 10 years. This is my feedback on your feedback whether you agree with it or not.
  • Macb7263
    Macb7263 Posts: 1
    Options
    This is only recommended (rarely) in children who suffer form epilepsy/seizures. Otherwise, a balanced diet that incorporates all food groups is important. So, if you want credible nutrition advice, ask a dietitian. Everyone out there wants to be a nutrition expert just because they tried it or a friend acheived results.
    Remember, that ~50% of your cals should come from carbs, ~30% from fat and ~20% from protein, Your body needs a minimum of 130 gms of carb/day, just for adequate brain function. This is not counting the extra carbs your body needs to fuel your body w/ energy. By elminating carbs, you're not losing fat....ONLY WATER!!!!! Yes...I am a dietitian:)
  • seansquared
    seansquared Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    So, if you want credible nutrition advice, ask a dietitian.

Ahh yes, because appealing to authority is always a good thing (see the Milgram Study).
  • lloydfoster
    Options
    DEEDEE was talking rubbish...

for a start you are NOT allowed chewing gum in ketosis. For a total allowed foods list search google...

I have done keto diets like lipotrim, slim and save and exante and they all work they are all hard! and you can keep the weight off if you following the refeeding plan after where you eat what they say coming off building up your glycogen stores slowly.

you can eat up to 60ish carbs each day and be in ketosis... 20 a day is from the atkins ketosis induction phase.....

end of the day you can do a keto diet whatever way you want it as long as you stay within the allowable foods list and count carbs..

(my wife lost 12st in 10 months doing lipotrim... she visited the gym alot though and used a vibroplate)
  • lloydfoster
    Options
    This is only recommended (rarely) in children who suffer form epilepsy/seizures. Otherwise, a balanced diet that incorporates all food groups is important. So, if you want credible nutrition advice, ask a dietitian. Everyone out there wants to be a nutrition expert just because they tried it or a friend acheived results.
    Remember, that ~50% of your cals should come from carbs, ~30% from fat and ~20% from protein, Your body needs a minimum of 130 gms of carb/day, just for adequate brain function. This is not counting the extra carbs your body needs to fuel your body w/ energy. By elminating carbs, you're not losing fat....ONLY WATER!!!!! Yes...I am a dietitian:)

more bullshine...

you do lost fat and like in my previous post i said my wife lost 12st on a ketodiet 12st of water???? read up PROPERLY before casting oppinion. I also myself lost around two stone.

BODY BUILDERS USE KETO DIETS TO LOSE FAT AND REDUCE FAT PERCENTAGE AND THATS HOW THEY GET 'RIPPED' SO TO SUGGEST ITS JUST WATER IS WRONG.

on a keto diet for the first three days your glycogen stores are depleted, and in the first week you lose between 8-12lb much of this is water BUT from then on you lose BODY FAT.

if you take a multivitamin daily that will ensure your getting RDA... or if you follow one of the keto diets out there the sachets etc have your daily requirements in them.

during the keto diet important to drink at least 2 ltrs of water a day.

and yes im not a dietitian i know what im talking about
  • hadriker
    Options

This post if completely and utterly wrong. Carbs are not necessary in any way whatsoever. They contain no nutrients that can not be had elsewhere. I would expect a "dietitian" to know this.
  • maltedwheaties
    maltedwheaties Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Need to read this later, when I have no distractions very interesting.