Someone explain why we shouldn't eat legumes

Options

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    About a year ago I had a group dinner with some friends, and friends of friends that I didn't know. Anyway, one of the girls there was a Vegan or something, but she didn't eat legumes. I was talking to her about it and asking why she didn't eat legumes. Her answer to me was something along the lines of "Legumes come protected in shell/pod, which in her mind means that they aren't edible because that shell was put there for protection".

Whatever though. I didn't debate it cause frankly, I don't really care what she eats.

Where did she get protein? Nuts and most grains also come in a protective shell/pod.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    About a year ago I had a group dinner with some friends, and friends of friends that I didn't know. Anyway, one of the girls there was a Vegan or something, but she didn't eat legumes. I was talking to her about it and asking why she didn't eat legumes. Her answer to me was something along the lines of "Legumes come protected in shell/pod, which in her mind means that they aren't edible because that shell was put there for protection".

Whatever though. I didn't debate it cause frankly, I don't really care what she eats.

Animals come in a protective pod, too. We make shoes out of the pods these days. Some of them are even rather hard to get into, like lobster.

They are still delicious.

I agree 100% on eating them. Just stating what she said. I happen to love legumes, but animals don't come in a pod.

No? What do you call the integumentary system of a cow? The exoskeleton of a crab? The shell of a turtle? Are those not protective shell/pods?
    I call them the integumentary system of a cow, an exoskeleton, and a shell. None of which are pods. I did use the word shell, but should have just stated pod I suppose, but pod has a specific meaning. A shell on a legume is a pod. A shell on a turtle is a shell.
  • heykatieben
    heykatieben Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I think it's something about lectins...
  • Hornsby
    Options

Where did she get protein? Nuts and most grains also come in a protective shell/pod.

No clue. She probably didn't. She had a sickly look to her....lol.
  • Tanteee
    Tanteee Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    The only explanation I got from my Paleo husband is that it's not allowed on Paleo. Nothing more than that. And then the endless list of new things that are a legume that we didn't know were one. It's exhausting. I wish I knew where Mr. Paleo lived so I could stick some legumes up his man cave.

lol.
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    The same reason that vegetarians don't eat meat, keto eaters don't eat carbs, and "clean" eaters don't eat packaged foods...................it's in their rules book.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Keto eaters eat carbs, just not a lot of them :3
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    The only explanation I got from my Paleo husband is that it's not allowed on Paleo. Nothing more than that. And then the endless list of new things that are a legume that we didn't know were one. It's exhausting. I wish I knew where Mr. Paleo lived so I could stick some legumes up his man cave.

this is pretty much the only REAL actual explanation that makes sense.
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Ok, so I can see the reasoning behind eliminating grains and dairy, but I don't understand why eating lentils and beans would lead to negative health consequences. Someone who has gone paleo, please explain. I am curious.

It doesn't matter whether one eats Paleo or not, they will not be able to explain with anything other than "a book or blog told me so".

Statistically, the two healthiest diets (more people following them long term have good health) are vegetarian and Mediterranean. Both of those typically feature a lot of legumes. That one statistic alone argues they are not “unhealthy”.

And there simply is no scientific evidence to prove otherwise.

Wrong, wrong, and wrong.

A vegetarian is the healthiest diet? Why am I even responding to this....

Its not wrong.

There are a few noted "blue zones" where people are known to live extraordinarily long. While there are no true dietary constants, being vegetarian or trending toward it (less access to meat naturally, especially non-seafood) is one of the common traits.

Though so is legume consumption, most blue zones include some or a lot of legume consumption.

I'm not a vegetarian, or even close, but I do readily acknowledge if there is a dietary link with longevity, vegetarian or mostly vegetarian would have to be considered the longevity diet.

That paleo tries to claim that title is utter rubbish.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Zone
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    Eating-Popcorn-Soda.gif

:tongue:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,579 Member
    Options
    The same reason that vegetarians don't eat meat, keto eaters don't eat carbs, and "clean" eaters don't eat packaged foods...................it's in their rules book.

IDEA Fitness member

Keto eaters eat carbs, just not a lot of them :3
    Yeah, I should have stated " don't eat a lot of carbs".

IDEA Fitness member
  • lindustum
    lindustum Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I wish I knew where Mr. Paleo lived so I could stick some legumes up his man cave.
    :heart:
  • Hornsby
    Options

nice edit...
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    Eating-Popcorn-Soda.gif

nice edit...

i decided that trying to craft a joke about semantics arguments on MFP was too much work... so enjoy the popcorn gif instead.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options

Animals come in a protective pod, too. We make shoes out of the pods these days. Some of them are even rather hard to get into, like lobster.

They are still delicious.

I agree 100% on eating them. Just stating what she said. I happen to love legumes, but animals don't come in a pod.

No? What do you call the integumentary system of a cow? The exoskeleton of a crab? The shell of a turtle? Are those not protective shell/pods?
    I call them the integumentary system of a cow, an exoskeleton, and a shell. None of which are pods. I did use the word shell, but should have just stated pod I suppose, but pod has a specific meaning. A shell on a legume is a pod. A shell on a turtle is a shell.

GASTROPODS!

*runs off giggling
  • Hornsby
    Options
    I'm on a no gastropod diet. Yuck :)
  • Pinkranger626
    Pinkranger626 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Did no one else note that the article that was offered up as information had wikipedia as a reference site?? That's right there makes me go "nope! No a valid form of reference!!"

As for why they can't eat legume it beats the heck out of me
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Did no one else note that the article that was offered up as information had wikipedia as a reference site?? That's right there makes me go "nope! No a valid form of reference!!"

Wikipeida is a good resource, if you know how to use it. I hadn't heard of the Blue Zones but here is non-Wiki links, if you are interested.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2012/11/03/longevity-health-fitness-happiness/1677425/
    http://www.bluezones.com/

Here are some other links to Veg / Med diets being healthy.
    http://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/move-over-mediterranean-a-vegetarian-diet-is-equally-good-for-health-201306056352
    http://newsinhealth.nih.gov/issue/Jul2012/Feature1

The statistics or these articles do not prove that these diets caused people to be healthier. My point in posting about the statistic was that this many healthy people eating legume heavy diets long term does prove that legumes are not unhealthy. They do not increase mortality or risk of disease.
  • Mr_Excitement
    Mr_Excitement Posts: 833 Member
    Options

The very first line of that makes me rage:

"Recently my boyfriend has been straying from his normal Paleo ways because he feels that grain-laden cookies are more important than his overall health and longevity"

lol, no kidding. Maybe she can see the future, and has peered through an intricate string of events that connect cookies to his death. Like he will be run over while crossing the street to buy a cookie or something.
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options

Wikipeida is a good resource, if you know how to use it. I hadn't heard of the Blue Zones but here is non-Wiki links, if you are interested.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2012/11/03/longevity-health-fitness-happiness/1677425/

http://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/move-over-mediterranean-a-vegetarian-diet-is-equally-good-for-health-201306056352

The statistics or these articles do not prove that these diets caused people to be healthier. My point in posting about the statistic was that this many healthy people eating legume heavy diets long term does prove that legumes are not unhealthy. They do not increase mortality or risk of disease.

I think she was referring to the blog article posted earlier in the thread about why you shouldn't eat legumes. The references for that article include some other blogs, the book that is basically the bible for paleos, wiki, and a vaguely related research abstract.

Wiki is not a great source for proving a point, but useful as a reference aggregate.

The question "what diet and lifestyle choices will help you live longer" researched by looking at people that as a population live abnormally long is a question that absolutely has been studied. "Blue Zone" are the keywords you need to find the information related to that question.

Any longevity claims by any diet have to be evaluated against the backdrop of blue zones; IE actual evidence. To say that legumes are bad for your long term health, as paleos claim, it utter rubbish given their heavy presence in blue zone diets. Likewise longevity arguments put forth by people touting vegetarian, pescetarian, and mediterranian diets do in fact have a legit argument; while the magnitude of the importance is surely debatable (from virtually not at all to hugely important), that there is a link is not debatable at all, there is.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

Wikipeida is a good resource, if you know how to use it. I hadn't heard of the Blue ones but here is non-Wiki links, if you are interested.

Wikipedia is a good resource, yes. But it is not a source itself.

If you want to use Wikipedia to support a claim, and the discussion is anything other than extremely casual or inconsequential, follow the references in the Wikipedia article and cite them directly.