Embarrassing fat stories!

Options

Replies

• musycnlyrics
    musycnlyrics Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    This thread has made me laugh and cry.

I have had plenty of dressing room meltdowns, but one instance sticks out:
    My aunt is a seamstress and was preparing for a fashion show and she wanted me to model one of her tops for her. She said I was "too pretty" not to participate. I went into the bathroom to try it on so I could "walk" for her and it was waaaay too tight. Like, I SQUEEZED into it and she said nicely "never mind, take it off, lets try it on Nee" and I went back into the bathroom and it wouldnt come off.
    It was stuck.
    There was NO elastic, give, stretch or anything that would help me take that shirt off and it was an original and would have caused issues if I ripped it off me.
    I must have been in that bathroom for 20 minutes prying it off me with tears streaming down my face. terrible.

I've been overweight my entire life and everyone my age (when I was younger) would tease me mercilessly about it. My favorite cousin STILL calls me "fat girl" everytime he sees me and asks me if I'm pregnant again while laughing at me. His girlfriend is heavier than me though
    I've had boys tell me that I'm prettiest girl in the class and they would "go with me" if I wasnt fat.
    Harsh.

I had my first love break up with me in junior high because his friends ribbed him to death about me being fat. We ended up dating in high school for a year after I lost weight and my hips and butt filled out.

I have broken chairs, ripped pants, fallen and all kinds of things and it never really bugged me until the WORST DAY EVER

That day was at Six Flags and 2 people couldnt strap me into a roller coaster and they both looked away while one of the recited the script about me being too fat for the ride. the shame i felt as I ran away with tears on my face. my husband was with me (it was part of our weekend getaway) and he just walked around the park with me for the rest of the day because I was terrified to attempt to ride anything.

I only had 2 bridesmaids at my wedding and I let them pick their own dresses, I just told them the color and length...They were drastically different weights, heights and builds and appreciated me letting them choose
  • stephwh42
    stephwh42 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Today in class, we were talking about a case study of a girl who was the same weight and height as me. No one obviously knew those were my stats, but this one girl in my group (who is obsessed with working out) could not get over this girls BMI. I can just hear her words over and over in my head (if you're 5'2" and 185 lbs, yeah, you're obviously obese; wow, just wow).

Same girl freaked out when she saw my daily calorie goal (because she was reading over my shoulder...). She acted like it was way too little and ridiculous for anyone it be eating only 1350 calories a day... well how are you supposed to lose weight??!? I also give myself extra calories when I work out. She just made such a big deal about it in the middle of class, so it was awkward.

I can't tell you the number of people who think I'm pregnant. I used to work in a nursing home and so many of older people thought I was preggers. One guy insisted that I was preggers (he was losing it, mentally) and when I told him I really wasn't, he then told me about his new diet pill that I should try.
  • Cathi888
    Cathi888 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    saving for later.
  • lucystacy71
    lucystacy71 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    This may sound ricidulous, but this is one story that sticks in my mind.

I was teaching 5th grade and the students were working with writing prompts. I had a whole box of prompts that we used at random, and one day the prompt was to write a short story about winning a baby hippo named Tiny. One student asked if she could change the name of the hippo, and I told her that she could as long as she didn't name it after a classmate or a friend. Later, some students volunteered to read their stories. A boy stood up in front of the class and began to read his story about a hippo named Miss Lucy (my name) who was so fat she had to be driven to school in the back of a flat bed truck. I stopped him from reading, but I was so mortified and hurt.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    Today in class, we were talking about a case study of a girl who was the same weight and height as me. No one obviously knew those were my stats, but this one girl in my group (who is obsessed with working out) could not get over this girls BMI. I can just hear her words over and over in my head (if you're 5'2" and 185 lbs, yeah, you're obviously obese; wow, just wow).

People are so rude!! When I was at my all-time HW (307) my supervisor at my former job was talking about her sister-in-law gaining lots of weight and a friend and I both made comments like, "Well, some people gain a lot under stress" just trying to sorta downplay it because me and another even heavier woman were there. Supervisor continued to go on and on and she addressed me and the heavier woman, saying, "You guys I'm serious she HAS TO weigh like 300 lb, I am not even joking".

yeah so that was a great feeling :-/
  • uconnwinsnc
    uconnwinsnc Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    Man boobs. Everything a fat guy has experienced. It really was disastrous for self-confidence.
  • pain_is_weakness
    pain_is_weakness Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    Being told IO am so lucky my 13 year older husband accepts my weight, sol lucky he actually wants to be with me. Like they are surprised an average sized guy would even attempt to be with me. Yeah that was embarrassing because they kept going on and on like they were complimenting me on "scoring" a guy like him. I was like actually he is the lucky one asshat cuz I am pretty awesome lol
  • HermioneDanger118
    HermioneDanger118 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    In 2010 I had a summer internship teaching first grade in Guatemala. The school had basically 0 resources (some rooms didn't have 4 walls) and all my kiddos sat at these plastic desks. There weren't any chairs for the adults so occasionally we'd sit on unused desks. One day I say on the desk and it totally broke and scattered crayons everywhere. My kids were all like, "you weigh a MILLION pounds!" Granted, they don't have the same weight issues in their community as we do here and they didn't mean anything malicious by it, but it struck a nerve and I ended up spending the next 45 minutes hiding out crying because I was so embarrassed. Then I had to explain why I was crying to a bunch of very concerned 7-year-olds in broken Spanish. It doesn't help that "embarrassed" sounds like the Spanish word for "pregnant." Sadly, that was at a lower weight than I'm at currently. :ohwell:
  • Needachange84
    Needachange84 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    It's pretty disgusting the way doctors and nurses talk to/treat fat patients. It's one thing to say "you might want to think about losing weight," or to talk about specific measurements like blood pressure or heart rate, but doctors who shame and mock their patients should have their licenses revoked.

I once visited a Dr who wanted to run the works on me to see what was going on with my weight because of the way I was gaining. I knew already. I ate bad food, drank too much, and did absolutely nothing. Everything came back fine. She told me I needed to quit being so lazy or end up dead :/ Coming from a lady just as tall as me and a lot bigger. She got an ear full...never saw her again.
  • LGrill27
    LGrill27 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    This happened last year... I got off work, went to the gym. When changing out of my work clothes into my jogging pants I thought one of legs felt odd. No biggie it must be bundled up from being in my gym bag. Two minutes later running on the tread mill a pair of my underwear pop out of the bottom of the leg and shoot back onto the floor! ARGH!

Sad thing is it could have been one of my new stylish boxers, but nooooo it had to be one of my 10yr old, ultra cozy, broken elastic, will never give up tighty-whities. I thought to myself are you fkn’ kidding me! I got off the tread mill while it was still running, quickly picked them up, squeezed them into the tightest, smallest ball to fit in my hand went into the locker room grabbed my stuff and left. I wasn’t sure if anyone saw what happened but I did skip the gym the next day. I'll never dry gym pants with socks & underwear again.
  • MrsMck22
    MrsMck22 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    My embarrassing story is actually reoccurring every day (which sucks balls!!). My office chair at work is one of those gas lift chairs and since about June 2012 it has gradually gone down to the bottom and wont go back up. Everyone keeps asking me why my chair is so low and I just say that I like sitting low... and I'm too embarrassed to ask for a new chair or bring it to my boss' attention. Sigh!! Oh well, when I get smaller I'll get a new chair. If I'm still there :)
  • BlueAngelChar
    BlueAngelChar Posts: 1,364 Member
    Options
    I have so many but this I'd say was the worst, heading to NYC and DC for my 30th B/Day and on the BA flight from Heathrow and the seats are pretty small as you know so i couldn't get the seatbelt round my middle even with the extender on so the poor air hostess gave me an upgraded seat - wider and more leg room because the person complained next to me that I was a safety risk :sad: never been so mortified or embarrassed in my life .

and i've had countless chairs collapse on me
  • jazzygurl81
    jazzygurl81 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    My goodness, such terrible stories! But on one hand, it's good to know I'm not the only one. People have no idea that their little prank or joke about someone's weight can stay with them for years, because you have no idea what's going on in their mind!

I could give millions of examples, but one that really stands out was when I was 17, and walking along the strip at Myrtle beach one evening (wearing a t-shirt, shorts, and flip flips - not a swimsuit or anything like that). Anyway, I'm walking along with some friends, minding my own business, and this guy yells out "fat *****!" at me. When I look up, shocked, he looks at me and says, "Yeah, I'm talking to you!"

I didn't do anything to deserve that; not only was I completely humiliated, but my spirit was broken.
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I have bounced up and down in weight since I was maybe 12 years old, and when I was in high school I was heavier than I am now. I was probably somewhere between 180 and 190 lbs at 5'4" and dressed in giant clothes - partially because I thought it masked my fat and partially because, hey, it was the late '90's.

Anyway, I was in freshmen year history class and the teacher had asked everyone to pass their homework up front. I tried to pass it to the kid in front of me and he wasn't turning around to take the work. I was like "Excuse me.. Hello?" or something like that. He turned around and said "Why don't you walk it up to the front, you look like you could use the exercise." Devastating. Just thinking about it still makes me feel squirmy.
  • goalss4nika
    goalss4nika Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    About 2 summers ago, I needed two attendants to push down on the handle bars so I could fit into the roller coaster. I had to suck, suck, and suck for me to fit. :sad:
  • cvenhorst414
    Options
    I have had medical issues for years that doctors have yet to figure out. Anyway, When I went to the newest doctor she asked if I was working out and eating right. I told her yes and that I was eating a low carb diet and that I had lost 3 pounds in the last week. She gave me that look like "yeah right" and i could feel the heat rise in my face. (note: she was not a small woman by any means). Then she basically told me I was overweight (DUH!) and every issue I had was my weight. It was so embarrassing I was gonna cry but it has been a good motivator.

Now I want to hit my weight goal and then walk into her office and rub it in her face lol
  • kathystrauss1
    kathystrauss1 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Now I want to hit my weight goal and then walk into her office and rub it in her face lol
    [/quote]

And she'll say "You're welcome!"
  • SeattleJill
    SeattleJill Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I got one. At the park with my then 5 year old niece. We are walking back to the playground from the restroom. Right as we pass a pic nic table full of, I don't know who they were but they were young, fit, and beautiful men. (I'm calling them European soccer team because they were all so pretty). She says, in the loud voice that only a 5 year old can have about an inappropriate topic and an inappropriate time "Auntie, why are you so fat?" The men have all stopped talking and start watching up. Me, an ever increasing shade of red "I Don't know. it probably has something to do with my mayonnaise addiction. I eat like 7 jars a day". Her "That's not healthy, how much do you weigh?" Me: "783 pounds (or some obscenely high similar number I made up" Her: "You should lose weight. You should probably only be like 500 or 600 pounds, and only eat 3 or 4 jars of mayonnaise". Me: "Hmm. That's a good idea. I'll take your advice into consideration." The men all burst out laughing, but at least I made myself part of the joke instead of having them laugh at me. Ugh. Kids.
  • SherylShug
    Options
    I went to a new doctor in my neighborhood and had had my blood pressure and vitals taken by a nurse, who said "The doctor will be with you shortly." The doctor walked in and it was one of the girls from my circle in high school - she'd gotten married and changed her name and I had no clue.

She literally didn't recognize me. At first I wasn't sure if she was being nice or what, but I realized this person who I had sat across from many times and had many conversations with didn't recognize me because of all the weight. I'm married with a different name so she had no clue from the name.

To boot, she and I used to have many conversations about fat girls in the school, why they were so big, and shaking our heads.

She pulled open my robe and I was totally conscious of my belly hanging out and covering my entire thighs, and I hoped a light bulb wouldn't go on over her head and she'd realize it was me, 150 pounds heavier, 12 years later.

• TossaBeanBag
    TossaBeanBag Posts: 458 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Those are funny stories. I got one for you.

I took a job to deice planes early in the morning, and I had to do some training in the bucket - picture one of those trucks with a bucket lift attached. Yeah, you know where this is going. Well, I was the last one of 10 people. It was required that each one ride up with an instructor. My instructor weighed in at a buck fifty, and I was probably two and a half. Well, the motor just grinded and that bucket would not budge off the ground, and people were laughing. I had to go up alone with a radio, and the instructor had to communicate to me that way. I still got the job, though.