good but cheap heart rate monitors

2»

Replies

• therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Probably not what you want to hear, but if money is an issue, then I wouldn't bother getting anything at all.

You can get reasonable estimates from the internet.

If you can't afford quality then rely on the internet information.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    For good but cheap HRM, I use the Timex T5K541 Personal Trainer HR which is less than $30 on Amazon. For many years I used to use $200+ Polar HRM's but it costs more to replace the battery with their factory authorized service at Polar than it does to buy a new Timex HRM.

Timex are cheap but they aren't reliable. They are notorious for giving exaggerated burns for women.
  • gypsyrose85
    gypsyrose85 Posts: 206 Member
    Do you know of any good mp3 players that are not pricy and not an ipod?
    I just looked at the reveiws and none of the more expensive ones seem to have a ton if great reveiws ether. Fitbit is only like 3.5 stars. Bodymedia seems to have the best but costs monthly.

I bought the Bodymedia in February. It also runs on estimates and isn't accurate. When I'm sweating my butt off at the gym, it usually thinks I'm sitting on the couch, half asleep. Most of the positive reviews that I've seen are from people that weren't active before, now they are, so they credit the Bodymedia armband. You could tie a ribbon around your arm to remind you to exercise and get the same results.

I've also used the Fitbit. It seemed accurate for cardio, but fell apart after about a year. I don't think there's anything that will give an accurate calorie count if you're weightlifting. I thought about getting a HRM next, but now I'm thinking I should just log my estimated calories and go off that. Fitbit and Bodymedia both give me numbers that are very similar to online calorie estimates. In fact, what Bodymedia says I'm burning in a day - that's EXACTLY the same as the internet estimation of what I should be burning. According to all these gadgets, I've been eating at a calorie deficit for awhile. Do I lose a pound for every 3500 calories? Nope. Not even close.

Save your money. Buy a tape measure and take your measurements every week. And maybe get some workout clothes, or an mp3 player or something that will help you enjoy your workouts. Good luck! :)
  • gypsyrose85
    I have a polar ft4 and I'm really happy with it. It's $60 on amazon, so just above your budget. maybe keep your eye out for a lightly used one? Or maybe there will be some black friday/cyber monday deals?
    I think I may go with this.
  • Adw7677
    Adw7677 Posts: 201 Member
    Off the top of my head, I can't think of anything. I've been using my phone as an mp3 player for awhile now. I'd probably look for something used and reputable on Ebay. I have an old Zune that was a total pain in the butt, so I wouldn't recommend it. Samsung makes great phones. If they make an mp3 player, it would probably be good. In fact, you could buy a used or no-contract cell phone. You could use the wifi, mp3 player, camera, and bluetooth without even activating the phone.

Avoid anything that CVS sells. They're all crap.

Do you know of any good mp3 players that are not pricy and not an ipod?
    I just looked at the reveiws and none of the more expensive ones seem to have a ton if great reveiws ether. Fitbit is only like 3.5 stars. Bodymedia seems to have the best but costs monthly.

I bought the Bodymedia in February. It also runs on estimates and isn't accurate. When I'm sweating my butt off at the gym, it usually thinks I'm sitting on the couch, half asleep. Most of the positive reviews that I've seen are from people that weren't active before, now they are, so they credit the Bodymedia armband. You could tie a ribbon around your arm to remind you to exercise and get the same results.

I've also used the Fitbit. It seemed accurate for cardio, but fell apart after about a year. I don't think there's anything that will give an accurate calorie count if you're weightlifting. I thought about getting a HRM next, but now I'm thinking I should just log my estimated calories and go off that. Fitbit and Bodymedia both give me numbers that are very similar to online calorie estimates. In fact, what Bodymedia says I'm burning in a day - that's EXACTLY the same as the internet estimation of what I should be burning. According to all these gadgets, I've been eating at a calorie deficit for awhile. Do I lose a pound for every 3500 calories? Nope. Not even close.

Save your money. Buy a tape measure and take your measurements every week. And maybe get some workout clothes, or an mp3 player or something that will help you enjoy your workouts. Good luck! :)
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    It sounds like you really want a new device but in case not... Probably the best way to estimate your typical daily calorie burn is to track everything that goes in your mouth for like a month or two and your weight loss, and back out your burn from that data. Completely free and not based on population estimates and it accounts for your food tracking measurement error, in effect. But you can't skip days or even meals of tracking.
  • gypsyrose85
    So I looked into body media. Dont want a monthly payment thing. I dont have a computer and have a samsung galaxy s2 so fitbit wont sync to that. If I went with a fitness budy what would be my best bet besides these two. I know nike makes one (did not research) and jawbone. I do like the idea of a sleep monitor. I am a very restless sleeper most of the time.
  • missmeee
    missmeee Posts: 41 Member
    i saw some on ebay for just $9.00, are those any good? i am looking into buying a HRM myself
  • FitHolly8
    FitHolly8 Posts: 52 Member
    I own the Polar FT4 and it works great!
    I Purchased mine through sears but now I see they have a refurbished one for $20 or they're about $60 new on Amazon. Well worth the money!

http://www.searsoutlet.com/FT4-Female-Fitness-Computer/d/product_details.jsp?stxt=polar ft4&md=srh1_md&pn=1&ps=24&pid=73519&mode=buyUsedOnly