Benefits of Cinnamon

Options
Ok all of you healthy people out there... Can anyone tell me the benefits of adding cinnamon to your diet?? I've heard that it helps with weight loss but not real clear on how.

Replies

• beethedreamer
    beethedreamer Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    i'm not sure, but it sure is tasty! :P

I'm curious to find out though
  • InsanlyIrene
    Options
    Studies have shown that just 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon per day can lower LDL cholesterol.

Several studies suggest that cinnamon may have a regulatory effect on blood sugar, making it especially beneficial for people with Type 2 diabetes.

In some studies, cinnamon has shown an amazing ability to stop medication-resistant yeast infections.

In a study published by researchers at the U.S. Department of Agriculture in Maryland, cinnamon reduced the proliferation of leukemia and lymphoma cancer cells.

It has an anti-clotting effect on the blood.

In a study at Copenhagen University, patients given half a teaspoon of cinnamon powder combined with one tablespoon of honey every morning before breakfast had significant relief in arthritis pain after one week and could walk without pain within one month.

When added to food, it inhibits bacterial growth and food spoilage, making it a natural food preservative.

One study found that smelling cinnamon boosts cognitive function and memory.

Researchers at Kansas State University found that cinnamon fights the E. coli bacteria in unpasteurized juices.

10. It is a great source of manganese, fiber, iron, and calcium.
  • Amarillo_NDN
    Amarillo_NDN Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Studies have shown that just 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon per day can lower LDL cholesterol.

Several studies suggest that cinnamon may have a regulatory effect on blood sugar, making it especially beneficial for people with Type 2 diabetes.

In some studies, cinnamon has shown an amazing ability to stop medication-resistant yeast infections.

In a study published by researchers at the U.S. Department of Agriculture in Maryland, cinnamon reduced the proliferation of leukemia and lymphoma cancer cells.

It has an anti-clotting effect on the blood.

In a study at Copenhagen University, patients given half a teaspoon of cinnamon powder combined with one tablespoon of honey every morning before breakfast had significant relief in arthritis pain after one week and could walk without pain within one month.

When added to food, it inhibits bacterial growth and food spoilage, making it a natural food preservative.

One study found that smelling cinnamon boosts cognitive function and memory.

Researchers at Kansas State University found that cinnamon fights the E. coli bacteria in unpasteurized juices.

10. It is a great source of manganese, fiber, iron, and calcium.

from: http://www.healthdiaries.com/eatthis/10-health-benefits-of-cinnamon.html
  • JoyceJoanne
    JoyceJoanne Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    Heard a lot of good things about it. Supposed to make your body process the fats and sugars better. Also somehow targets belly fat?? I have been (hit and miss) taking a cinnamon supplement (drops)- I have lost 17 pounds in about 2 months. I lost 8.5 inches the first month. (I only measure once a month, not due to measure again until next week). It may or may not be in part to the cinnamon....??
    Good luck!! :flowerforyou:

disclaimer: I choose to use supplements- this may not work for you, you may not like them. It is my decision to use them- they work for me
  • Alioth
    Alioth Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Thank you. That's great to know. I'm going to have cinnamon more often.
  • ahkunkel
    Options
    I heard that it helps boost metabolism but I'm not sure if thats true...
  • charlichickxx
    Options
    wow!! I knew absolutely none of that!! maybe i hould get some cinnamon in there too!!
  • josparkle
    josparkle Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Several Afro-Carribean moms I know swear by it to help with upset stomachs and I have to say it does seem to settle my kids' stirred into warm milk or porrage.
  • ymamyma
    ymamyma Posts: 227
    Options
    I take a cinnamon supplement daily. I can feel a difference in my body when I forget to take it. It's good stuff. :smile:
  • Wolfena
    Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
    Options
    I don't know where I heard it or read it, or if it's even true.... but I heard that if you have cinnamon with your breakfast it will work to curb your appetite all day.

I like cinnamon anyway, so I often will put some in my morning coffee, can't hurt - right?!? :wink:
  • caprica
    caprica Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I have never tried it. There are some studies that suggest it may not work.

http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/15877514.php
  • marniehodges
    Options
    On the show "The Doctors" they were just taking about that on the show today! Saw it while I was working out at the gym; how convenient is that! It boosts metabolism among many other really grrrreat things. Use it as much as possible!
  • 29bubbles
    29bubbles Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Just plain? Or does cinnamon sugar count? Not sure how to use it w/o the sugar.
  • NikkiJ17
    NikkiJ17 Posts: 295
    Options
    Add it to anything...Yogurt, bagels, coffee, cereal, applesauce, apples, smoothies etc. Add a very small amount to your meals, like an 1/8 of a teaspoon and you shouldn't be able to taste it. There are also cinnamon supplements out there. You can take it in a pill form.
  • MelissaL582
    MelissaL582 Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tip!!
  • vitamon
    Options
    If all else fails, try eating kraut. It's tasty and helps you feel full longer. When you have a craving, just eat a spoonful or two then leave the kitchen with a full glass of water. It works!
  • soulatomic
    Options
    Would taking it in pill form work? Is pill form an option?
  • ivikatasha
    ivikatasha Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Wow.... I am going to use cinnamon everyday now....
  • sandi228
    sandi228 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I believe it's ceylon cinnamon isn't it? I have the other (cassia) but I add it to unsweetened applesauce and to my oatmeal. I also dip a spoon in raw honey and then in the cinnamon, I think it does wonders. I have a huge bottle of the Cassia so until it's gone I haven't bought the Ceylon type.