Is DOMS necessary?

Options
I've been wondering. Is DOMS really necessary?

I've running for a year now. The result is visible muscle gain and I'm obviously a lot stronger and more stable through my core, hips, legs and feet. However, until my half-marathon training long runs (and those were only once a week), there was little soreness after the workouts (and I worked HARD on some of them).

How come, when I lift, it's expected that I won't be able to raise my arms all the way the next day, etc.? I've never questioned this until now and wanted to know whether there was science behind that result or whether that was just a traditional expectation, like women doing high reps at a low weight.

Replies

• explosivedonut
    explosivedonut Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    There is a science behind DOMS. Essentially, when lifting, you are causing microtears in your muscle. The DOMS feeling is essentially bruising (not exactly, but essentially). The more you lift heavy, the less DOMS you feel (usually). Usually because your pain threshold goes up.

Hope that helps!
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    DOMS is a physical response to the work. Without progressive work, you won't see results. That said, your body will adapt to your new work loads and get better at it, resulting in less DOMS. In fact, most lifters miss DOMS when they subside. The no pain no gain mantra should have one more phrase in the middle to read, no pain no rest no gain. Let DOMS tell you when to go back at it, then hit it hard again. Your muscles will adapt and you'll be better for it.
  • InForBacon
    InForBacon Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    No, DOMS is not necessary. Even when progressing, after lifting for quite a while, I stopped getting DOMS. It wasn't because I was slacking or didn't get a good workout in. I wouldn't get them even when I upped the weight I was lifting. After a while, you may not get them anymore. Stretching has some to do with it I'm sure and your body adapting.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    That's what my understanding was. But I get the same microtears when I run, and I can still walk up stairs without pain.

My understanding is that the microtears are what cause muscle growth and why rest/crosstraining days are necessary (even if you feel "good," because it allows your body a chance to repair and build) and why stretching is beneficial (to ensure that the new muscle is aligned when it's laid down).

ETA: And sorry if this seems really basic.

ETA: And thank you for reading and responding!
  • DoingitWell
    DoingitWell Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Great info, wondering the same myself at times.
  • timbrom
    timbrom Posts: 303 Member
    Options

I've run for a year now. The result is visible muscle gain and I'm obviously a lot stronger and more stable through my core, hips, legs and feet. However, until my half-marathon training long runs (and those were only once a week), there was little soreness after the workouts (and I worked HARD on some of them).

How come, when I lift, it's expected that I won't be able to raise my arms all the way the next day, etc.? I've never questioned this until now and wanted to know whether there was science behind that result or whether that was just a traditional expectation, like women doing high reps at a low weight.

If you can't lift your arms, you overworked yourself. Going to failure, "burnout sets," it's all broscience that is not necessary to grow and get stronger.
  • okgal247
    okgal247 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    DOMS is a physical response to the work. Without progressive work, you won't see results. That said, your body will adapt to your new work loads and get better at it, resulting in less DOMS. In fact, most lifters miss DOMS when they subside. The no pain no gain mantra should have one more phrase in the middle to read, no pain no rest no gain. Let DOMS tell you when to go back at it, then hit it hard again. Your muscles will adapt and you'll be better for it.

What's enough rest? I was just having a similar conversation- and I'm not sure what I should be doing. I had a pretty intense workout the other day (didn't realize it at the time) and I could hardly move yesterday. I had trouble getting up from a sitting position, trouble getting into a sitting position- I was a hobbling mess. I drank a lot of water yesterday and got a lot of sleep last night. I'm still sore, but less sore than yesterday. Do I wait until I no longer feel sore at all? Or, if I'm feeling a little better today, go in?
  • explosivedonut
    explosivedonut Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    That's what my understanding was. But I get the same microtears when I run, and I can still walk up stairs without pain.

My understanding is that the microtears are what cause muscle growth and why rest/crosstraining days are necessary (even if you feel "good," because it allows your body a chance to repair and build) and why stretching is beneficial (to ensure that the new muscle is aligned when it's laid down).

Lifting weights and running are very different, it's not putting your muscles under exactly the same type of stress. That's potentially why you weren't seeing DOMS, more of a lactic acid buildup. Plus you have been running for a year (and are therefore more used to the "pain" of running), and not as used to lifting (yet), so you feel it more.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

I've running for a year now. The result is visible muscle gain and I'm obviously a lot stronger and more stable through my core, hips, legs and feet. However, until my half-marathon training long runs (and those were only once a week), there was little soreness after the workouts (and I worked HARD on some of them).

who says it's expected?

being sore is not an indicator of a good workout- all it means is you are using muscles you haven't used in a while.

If I started running again- like really running- I'd be sore too. And I'm in great shape... I lift 4-5 days a week. I'm never really incapacitatingly sore. maybe a little crunchy and slow- but nothing a good massage or foam roller couldn't work out.
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    No, it's not.
  • AllanMisner
    Options

The difference is your muscles (slow twitch) were already conditioned from your prior walking and running. Each run now is done with conditioned legs. When you lift weights, you're activating the fast twitch muscle (different fibers) which aren't conditioned from running. Your fast twitch muscle will reach a level of conditioning where DOMS will subside and may even go away.
  • AllanMisner
    Options

What's enough rest? I was just having a similar conversation- and I'm not sure what I should be doing. I had a pretty intense workout the other day (didn't realize it at the time) and I could hardly move yesterday. I had trouble getting up from a sitting position, trouble getting into a sitting position- I was a hobbling mess. I drank a lot of water yesterday and got a lot of sleep last night. I'm still sore, but less sore than yesterday. Do I wait until I no longer feel sore at all? Or, if I'm feeling a little better today, go in?

Early on, I'd give it 72 hours between working sessions. Once your muscles adapt, you'll be able to drop it to 48 hours. If you're really giving your all and feel fully recovered in 48 hours, it may be time to look into a split routine or make some changes to the overall program to keep getting results.
  • Poofy_Goodness
    Poofy_Goodness Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    DOMS is not necessary, nor does it indicate how much or how well you worked out.
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options

Where do you feel the DOMS when you lift? I'd assume part of why you don't get a similar feeling after running and then walking up stairs is that movement has become commonplace with your body. The majority of people walk regularly enough that even if you were a little sore after a run, you're likely to heal overnight. Other less-used muscles might take longer.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    The difference is your muscles (slow twitch) were already conditioned from your prior walking and running. Each run now is done with conditioned legs. When you lift weights, you're activating the fast twitch muscle (different fibers) which aren't conditioned from running. Your fast twitch muscle will reach a level of conditioning where DOMS will subside and may even go away.

I don't want to be argumentative but when I started running, it wasn't on conditioned legs. I started running when it was tough to walk a mile. Running itself was HARD. 30 seconds was HARD. I was hugely overweight and could barely lift my feet. However, I was never sore after.

At the same time, if I did squats and lunges, I'd feel it the next day.

When I got up to a 10 mile base, I started speed work. Intervals, specifically to build fast twitch fibers. I'd run until I couldn't breathe. I could barely lift my legs on the last sprint. The cool-down run was one of the toughest workouts of my life. Never sore after.

I was doing New Rules of Lifting for Women 3X/week and was sore the next day.

After I started running 7-12 miles, the next day felt a lot like "leg day" but, as I said that was once a week, and most of my muscle building had already been accomplished with no soreness.
  • AllanMisner
    Options

I don't want to be argumentative but when I started running, it wasn't on conditioned legs. I started running when it was tough to walk a mile. Running itself was HARD. 30 seconds was HARD. I was hugely overweight and could barely lift my feet. However, I was never sore after.

When I got up to a 10 mile base, I started speed work. Intervals, specifically to build fast twitch fibers. I'd run until I couldn't breathe. I could barely lift my legs on the last sprint. The cool-down run was one of the toughest workouts of my life. Never sore after.

After I started running 7-12 miles, the next day felt a lot like "leg day" but, as I said that was once a week, and most of my muscle building had already been accomplished with no soreness.

I get where you're coming from, but still different muscles and different muscle fibers. Yes, running sprints with rests between would work fast twitch muscle (some), it isn't putting the same load that you're getting lifting. Nor is it working in the same plane (requiring different muscles). My guess is your intervals included slow running/jogging rests.

To say you weren't conditioned for forward movement prior to running isn't true. You've walked most of your life, and your training over time was generally progressive (especially once you started running). Run a marathon when you haven't adequately built of the muscles for it and you'll get one hell of a DOMS effect.

As a little experiment, try this: On a running day with legs fully recovered, find a long hill that is at a grade greater than 20%. Do a short warm up like you would for a weight session. Sprint (running for your life hard) for ten to fifteen seconds, stop and rest (no walking or jogging) for 30 - 45 seconds. Repeat this ten times. Walk back down the hill for your cool down and stretch as you normally would after a weight training session.
  • likitisplit
    Options

I get where you're coming from, but still different muscles and different muscle fibers. Yes, running sprints with rests between would work fast twitch muscle (some), it isn't putting the same load that you're getting lifting. Nor is it working in the same plane (requiring different muscles). My guess is your intervals included slow running/jogging rests.

To say you weren't conditioned for forward movement prior to running isn't true. You've walked most of your life, and your training over time was generally progressive (especially once you started running). Run a marathon when you haven't adequately built of the muscles for it and you'll get one hell of a DOMS effect.

As a little experiment, try this: On a running day with legs fully recovered, find a long hill that is at a grade greater than 20%. Do a short warm up like you would for a weight session. Sprint (running for your life hard) for ten to fifteen seconds, stop and rest (no walking or jogging) for 30 - 45 seconds. Repeat this ten times. Walk back down the hill for your cool down and stretch as you normally would after a weight training session.

I'll do that. I need to work in some hill work anyway.

Well, I'm not sure I can find a hill that long :noway:

And thanks for the insights!
  • likitisplit
    Options
    But that kind of brings me to the second half of the question:

That would work me to failure. However, I've only worked to failure in running a couple of dozen times. But, I've seen more gains with this than I've ever seen weight training.

My understanding is that low weight, high reps is inefficient, but wouldn't that be the equivalent of "long, slow runs"? Would it make sense to do that with a one "ten reps to failure" session each week?
  • jhc7324
    jhc7324 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    But that kind of brings me to the second half of the question:

That would work me to failure. However, I've only worked to failure in running a couple of dozen times. But, I've seen more gains with this than I've ever seen weight training.

My understanding is that low weight, high reps is inefficient, but wouldn't that be the equivalent of "long, slow runs"? Would it make sense to do that with a one "ten reps to failure" session each week?
    At some level endurance and speed meet up. If you do nothing but run long slow workouts, you'll eventually get faster at running long slow distances. Similarly, if you do nothing but high rep weight work, you'll get better at that high rep low weight lifting. There will obviously be some carryover when you scale down either workout (you'll also be faster over a short distance than you were originally even though you didn't train it specifically).
  • ghiagirl893
    ghiagirl893 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Just to say, I go it very sore after doing a short run this week. Brand new runner. It was outside.