What is your actual TDEE?

Options

Replies

• PhoenixStrikes
    PhoenixStrikes Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    I can't math. But my BMF says I burn anywhere from 2200-2800 depending on the day.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Yep I can, but what was I wrong about?

That you have to measure the food put in, for the respiration method.
    That you have to measure the gas put in, for the exhaust method.
    I said, "I don't need to measure the exhaust because I already measured the amount of gas I put in."

"Don't need to measure A" != "you have to measure B."

Plus it's still not relevant or of even minor importance. Who cares about the details of technique of a hypothetical method that isn't going to actually be used. Nobody is going to wear special equipment to measure how much O2 or CO2 they inhale/exhale for an entire month.

And I'm pretty sure that would not be a good way to figure out how many calories I burned while springboard diving. :laugh:

Plus dragging around extra equipment would alter your normal activity level, NEAT and TDEE. But at least I'm having fun picturing doing deadlifts or bicycling or kayaking with that stuff in tow. :bigsmile:
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    Don't need to calculate it. My BMF does it for me; 1900-2100 on non-exercise days, and 2200-2300 on exercise days. On active days (not necessarily days I exercise, just move more) it can be anywhere from 2400-2600.

Once I spent 12 hours walking around NYC and burned almost 3,000.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    Options
    Don't need to calculate it. My BMF does it for me; 1900-2100 on non-exercise days, and 2200-2300 on exercise days. On active days (not necessarily days I exercise, just move more) it can be anywhere from 2400-2600.

Alrighty then.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

Alrighty then.

*sigh*

[pointflyingoverhead.gif]
  • gracielynn1011
    gracielynn1011 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I used the month of March. I lost 5 lbs that month. According to this, my Tdee for March was 2128.

I am probably eating that now, but I also am not as consistent on exercising as I was then. This is good info to have. I can plan my attack for the upcoming months.
  • MissPatty584
    MissPatty584 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    bump
  • pinktac0
    Options
    im bored
  • SmartAlec03211988
    Options

Alrighty then.
    lunch-alone-1.gif
  • paulperryman
    paulperryman Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    I've tracked mine on rest days with a Polar FT70 Heart Rate Monitor and i currently use a Fitbit Flex 24/7 and both came in around the 2700 mark on a day when i don't intentionally do exercise above and beyond my job.

If i eat around 2600 tho i seem to gain a little bit or atleast don't lose.
    2300 (exercise or not) is my sweet spot for still losing a little bit albeit much slower then i was 4 months ago and definately not gaining anything.

my intentional exercise i've toned down to be smarter then just going nuts trying to burn on paper the most calories, but it still averages out to 10 calories a minute which 30-60mins being the session lengths + i am on and off my feet most of the day clocking up around 14,000 steps (roughly 11km's)
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    Maybe this has been mentioned, but smaller people need fewer calories so as you lose, your number will go down. Mine at everyday active, with no formal exercise is about 1500. I am 5'5" and 125 lbs. If I was 6'5" it would be a different number as would 5'5" and 300 lbs.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Dear everybody who didn't actually do the math OP mentioned:

Please do the math. Your BMF or HRM or Fitbit or online calculator numbers are really interesting...and all that, but you're missing the point. Assuming you've been consistently logging for the past 30ish days, you have the information you need to do this math.

I think the easiest way to do this (if you aren't using an extractor to pull the data) is to go to this link: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/reports and select calories and 30 days. Hover the mouse over each data point and it will tell you the number. Record that in excel (or some other spreadsheet of your choice). Do that for all thirty days. Then change the report to weight and check the first and last data point. Do math as indicated by OP. Report the result. You may be surprised how close (or not) it is to your other methods of estimating your TDEE.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Quickie math (I rounded for ease)

November, so far, 2200 (eating at 1800, no working out, losing just over a pound a week)

October 2300

September 2350

Female, 26, 139.8 pounds as of today
  • SmartAlec03211988
    Options
    Math done.

Fascinating, BMF is accurate.
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    Dear everybody who didn't actually do the math OP mentioned:

Please do the math. Your BMF or HRM or Fitbit or online calculator numbers are really interesting...and all that, but you're missing the point. Assuming you've been consistently logging for the past 30ish days, you have the information you need to do this math.

I think the easiest way to do this (if you aren't using an extractor to pull the data) is to go to this link: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/reports and select calories and 30 days. Hover the mouse over each data point and it will tell you the number. Record that in excel (or some other spreadsheet of your choice). Do that for all thirty days. Then change the report to weight and check the first and last data point. Do math as indicated by OP. Report the result. You may be surprised how close (or not) it is to your other methods of estimating your TDEE.
    I'm going to post this on my wall and do it every 30 days, just to keep myself calibrated, so to speak. :flowerforyou:
  • sybrix
    sybrix Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    1694 with the maths. MFP estimates my maint at 1670. Scooby's gives me 1698. So.. all seems well.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    Options
    I've tracked mine on rest days with a Polar FT70 Heart Rate Monitor and i currently use a Fitbit Flex 24/7 and both came in around the 2700 mark on a day when i don't intentionally do exercise above and beyond my job.

If i eat around 2600 tho i seem to gain a little bit or atleast don't lose.
    2300 (exercise or not) is my sweet spot for still losing a little bit albeit much slower then i was 4 months ago and definately not gaining anything.

my intentional exercise i've toned down to be smarter then just going nuts trying to burn on paper the most calories, but it still averages out to 10 calories a minute which 30-60mins being the session lengths + i am on and off my feet most of the day clocking up around 14,000 steps (roughly 11km's)
    In other words, the HRM and fitbit are not giving you accurate numbers. (Not surprising because those numbers are averages, if you are not average the numbers will be off. This is why it's useful to double check the predictions against observed reality.)

(My fitbit does get me to within about +/-100 calories.)
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I get over 3,000 TDEE most days.. ... wayyy more then any calculator ever told me..

2800 is a low day for me apparently.

Your method only works if you are actually losing weight.. I'm losing inches not weight.. there is no way i'm eating 3000 calories per day.. i weigh and log everything.

You think you burn over 3000 calories a day.... but you're eating way less than 3000 calories a day..... and you're not losing weight?

I've got some news for you..

I measure and log everything. Good, Bad or in between. I leave out nothing. So unless the calories are way off in the database (which since everyone uses the database I doubt that) It should be fairly accurate. My body bugg might over estimate a little, but I cant' imagine it's over estimating that much. I don't think I burn that much, it's what it tells me. But I am super active. Even if it's off by a few hundred I'm still way under what it says I should be eating. I did gain some weight back a few weeks ago, but it's gone now. I've also changed my workout routine and increased what I was eating, so that might have messed with things?

Where did you get the 3000/2700 from?

If you're not losing weight, you are eating at maintenance. Whatever you are eating now is your TDEE.

from my body bugg. That is only off my body for 15/20 minutes a day. - I doubt my TDEE is 1700 or less.. gives me a reading of more like 3500 on the weekends,. because I am more active when not working.
    If you are eating X amount of calories and not gaining or losing, then X is your TDEE. How else do you explain that you are not losing or gaining?

I'm not trying to,. I have no idea. Scoobies gives me 2426 if I put in very active. Even with that number I still eat more then 500 calories less everyday. Maybe TDEE is a myth.. (haha).
    the IIFYM calc give me 2757 TDEE.. so not to far off what bugg says...on a light day.. If I put in everyday only (not intense) it give me 2617 and I do exercise over an hour every day.
    How much are you eating on average per day?
    1500-1800 calories..
    Ok. If your TDEE were higher than that, you'd be losing weight. Your TDEE is definitely not 3000 unless you are losing over a 2 lbs a week. ;)
    I think you can assume, like mine, that your BodyBugg is overestimating by 10%. Their own website says they are 90% accurate, so that's no surprise. So let's say the IIFYM calculation is right for you, like it's right for me. Then the rest is maybe hiding somewhere in your intake. If you're weighing and measuring everything then maybe something you always have is way off in the database?

That could be a possibility, but I still think that's unlikely.. .. It's a lot of veggies though.. My diary is open.. I check everything I log against labels and use the MFP entries not the user ones. .. Today is pretty typical of my days. If 1700 is my TDEE with all my exercise then I'm going to stop exercising. It's just not worth it.. I struggle to eat this much.. if I can eat less.. i'm all in.. I only wish I was kidding. Even if my bug is 10% off.. that still put me way above 1700, closer to what the iifym calculator says. I am still confused by all this stuff I guess. I know how to eat, I know how to exercise. but i an't put it all together for some reason..

hmm.. could I be messed up because I was eating under 800 calories for 2/3 months straight last year? and have only been consistently eating at this level for the last few months?
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    I get over 3,000 TDEE most days.. ... wayyy more then any calculator ever told me..

2800 is a low day for me apparently.

Your method only works if you are actually losing weight.. I'm losing inches not weight.. there is no way i'm eating 3000 calories per day.. i weigh and log everything.

You think you burn over 3000 calories a day.... but you're eating way less than 3000 calories a day..... and you're not losing weight?

I've got some news for you..

I measure and log everything. Good, Bad or in between. I leave out nothing. So unless the calories are way off in the database (which since everyone uses the database I doubt that) It should be fairly accurate. My body bugg might over estimate a little, but I cant' imagine it's over estimating that much. I don't think I burn that much, it's what it tells me. But I am super active. Even if it's off by a few hundred I'm still way under what it says I should be eating. I did gain some weight back a few weeks ago, but it's gone now. I've also changed my workout routine and increased what I was eating, so that might have messed with things?

Where did you get the 3000/2700 from?

If you're not losing weight, you are eating at maintenance. Whatever you are eating now is your TDEE.

from my body bugg. That is only off my body for 15/20 minutes a day. - I doubt my TDEE is 1700 or less.. gives me a reading of more like 3500 on the weekends,. because I am more active when not working.
    If you are eating X amount of calories and not gaining or losing, then X is your TDEE. How else do you explain that you are not losing or gaining?

I'm not trying to,. I have no idea. Scoobies gives me 2426 if I put in very active. Even with that number I still eat more then 500 calories less everyday. Maybe TDEE is a myth.. (haha).
    the IIFYM calc give me 2757 TDEE.. so not to far off what bugg says...on a light day.. If I put in everyday only (not intense) it give me 2617 and I do exercise over an hour every day.
    How much are you eating on average per day?
    1500-1800 calories..
    Ok. If your TDEE were higher than that, you'd be losing weight. Your TDEE is definitely not 3000 unless you are losing over a 2 lbs a week. ;)
    I think you can assume, like mine, that your BodyBugg is overestimating by 10%. Their own website says they are 90% accurate, so that's no surprise. So let's say the IIFYM calculation is right for you, like it's right for me. Then the rest is maybe hiding somewhere in your intake. If you're weighing and measuring everything then maybe something you always have is way off in the database?

That could be a possibility, but I still think that's unlikely.. .. It's a lot of veggies though.. My diary is open.. I check everything I log against labels and use the MFP entries not the user ones. .. Today is pretty typical of my days. If 1700 is my TDEE with all my exercise then I'm going to stop exercising. It's just not worth it.. I struggle to eat this much.. if I can eat less.. i'm all in.. I only wish I was kidding. Even if my bug is 10% off.. that still put me way above 1700, closer to what the iifym calculator says. I am still confused by all this stuff I guess. I know how to eat, I know how to exercise. but i an't put it all together for some reason..

hmm.. could I be messed up because I was eating under 800 calories for 2/3 months straight last year? and have only been consistently eating at this level for the last few months?
    If you are struggling to eat as much as you are, then I can't see any harm in eating a bit less and seeing what happens, (as long as it's nothing too drastic) especially being that it seems there is an overestimate in play somewhere. Being that the online calculators seems to agree with your BMF, it is probably in your intake somewhere. I have no idea whether the VLCD would still be messing with your TDEE a year later, but eating at maintenance for a while was probably a good thing, whether you meant to or not. I would say just keep tracking everything and stay consistent.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Math done.

Fascinating, BMF is accurate.

It can be for slight majority of users - and if they do the right exercise it is decent at estimating - you got a great tool in hand.

Some of the other posts have proved it's not always the best tool though.