Fast Weight Loss

Options
I know, I know. The key is to lose it slowly with real lifestyle changes yadda yadda.

My husband is deployed for the next few months and I want to be at my goal weight when he returns....at that time I would love to be 1.) In shape enough to do the activities we have put off. Such as hiking and scuba diving. An active lifestyle that will keep me fit, but has been hindered by current lifestyle. 2.) I would love to have hit up the habit of cooking and eating healthy meals so much that it is part of my daily routine even when he comes back.

I really feel like losing all of the weight quickly will give me the confidence boost, energy, muscle to fat ratio, etc. that I need to keep it off AND surprise my husband.

So I know that 1-2 lbs is the max recommended, but 3-4 will put me where I need to be. Has anyone had success and what did you do?

Replies

• ikearch
    ikearch Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I started my dieting/exercising over starting Nov 1st and here's what I've done and lost: I've lost 9lbs in 3 weeks by doing cardio right after waking up, eating a sweet potato hours later (first food) and then chowing on grape or campari tomatoes throughout the day. I jump rope 2 min on 1 min rest for 25-30 min of actual jumping. After that I cooldown by walking 3.5mph for 1 min and running 6.7mph the next 3 min, then go back to 3.5mph and gradually decline to 2mph by 10-11 min total. I only drink water and sugarless tea. If you can do the cardio every day, great, if not, try at least 5x/week. The weight will shred very quickly.
    I limit myself to 800-1200 cal/day, also. I always aim low if I feel good about it. The sweet potato is large and very filling.
  • SnackHips
    SnackHips Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Do you eat anything else? I like the idea of heavy breakfast then smaller meals through out the day. I need variety though. Still, very encouraging. Did you have to work-up to your cardio level or have you been doing the same thing the whole time?
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    As the first poster said, he is starting OVER. When you lose weight quickly, you do not develop the life long habits that you will need to be successful. Plus, eating 800 - 1200 calories a day makes it very difficult to meet your nutritional needs.

You're both adults and can certainly do what you want, but if you want to be healthy - that takes some time. If you just want to be skinny - go for it.
  • SnackHips
    Options
    Well, getting the habits along the way is part of it for me. The grounds for keeping up with the lifestyle are in place. I just want to get to the part where I have to maintain more quickly than normal. I am not looking to starve myself for it. I also don't want to over train my body. Just here to see if others have had success balancing everything at an accelerated rate.
  • ikearch
    Options
    Let me rephrase: I resumed dieting and exercising Nov 1st.

After my workouts I have a protein shake with creatine (130 cal). After work, which is actually morning, I will have whatever food left that I allotted myself. For example, today I had a protein shake after working out, then sweet potato. At work I had another protein shake and a baked chicken breast. I brought tomatoes and a banana to work with me but I didn't eat them there. I planned on having a baked salmon filet after work. Right now I'm "allotted" a banana, some tomatoes and a salmon filet. This would be a 700 calorie day if I choose to eat this all, which I don't feel hungry for anything right now.

I have "fat days" too. I gave myself 4 fat days this month. I had to use one on day 3 (eat anything I've been craving), which was BWW and I went all out (big jack daddy burger, fries, and 20 boneless with ranch). The second fat day I had Famous Dave's (about 6 days after the first one). My third fat day I didn't really even feel like having, but I treated myself to asian take-out. I've been going on 8 days without a fat day now and my last one is tomorrow, which I still don't feel the need for.

It takes filling foods and a lot of will power to say no to temptation. I've done similar dieting before, typically 1200-1500 cal (lots of chili, bean recipes and, of course, sweet potatoes). I have more energy than before and I feel like I can really push the cardio more than I thought I could. Other foods that I switch it up with are broccoli, cauliflower, asparagus, oranges, pineapple, kiwi, cottage cheese, chili, tuna fish sandwiches and carrots.

This post was in reply to losing weight fast and this is how I do it and it works for me. I have kept off almost all of the weight lost from doing this type of dieting before despite what others might think. Hope this helps!
  • SnackHips
    Options
    Yes it is very helpful. Thank you!
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    Let me rephrase: I resumed dieting and exercising Nov 1st.

After my workouts I have a protein shake with creatine (130 cal). After work, which is actually morning, I will have whatever food left that I allotted myself. For example, today I had a protein shake after working out, then sweet potato. At work I had another protein shake and a baked chicken breast. I brought tomatoes and a banana to work with me but I didn't eat them there. I planned on having a baked salmon filet after work. Right now I'm "allotted" a banana, some tomatoes and a salmon filet. This would be a 700 calorie day if I choose to eat this all, which I don't feel hungry for anything right now.

I have "fat days" too. I gave myself 4 fat days this month. I had to use one on day 3 (eat anything I've been craving), which was BWW and I went all out (big jack daddy burger, fries, and 20 boneless with ranch). The second fat day I had Famous Dave's (about 6 days after the first one). My third fat day I didn't really even feel like having, but I treated myself to asian take-out. I've been going on 8 days without a fat day now and my last one is tomorrow, which I still don't feel the need for.

It takes filling foods and a lot of will power to say no to temptation. I've done similar dieting before, typically 1200-1500 cal (lots of chili, bean recipes and, of course, sweet potatoes). I have more energy than before and I feel like I can really push the cardio more than I thought I could. Other foods that I switch it up with are broccoli, cauliflower, asparagus, oranges, pineapple, kiwi, cottage cheese, chili, tuna fish sandwiches and carrots.

This post was in reply to losing weight fast and this is how I do it and it works for me. I have kept off almost all of the weight lost from doing this type of dieting before despite what others might think. Hope this helps!

I would be curious to know what you do for work outs. 700 calories day for a 30 year old male with only about 25 pounds to lose seems awfully low. What would you guess your weekly averages to be, with the "fat days"?
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,215 Member
    Options
    No. There is no way to safely lose 3-4 pounds a week and keep that sustained weight loss up week after week. Sure, people can have accelerated weight loss especially at the beginning but keeping that rate of loss up? No, especially for someone like you who isn't morbidly obese.

If people could lose 3-4 pounds a week and have that loss be fat and not water and lean muscle tissue, don't you think everyone would jump at that approach?
  • FindingMyPerfection
    Options
    Your body can only metabolize so much fat at a time. If you are going over 1-3 lbs a week depending on the amount you have to lose, you are losing more than just fat but muscle as well. This is a problem because as you lose muscle your metabolism drops drastically, makin your deficit harder to maintain and you just become a smaller version of your current squishy self.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    NO!!! Not with out damaging your health!!! I recommend slow and steady, 1 to 2 pounds a week.
  • writergeek313
    writergeek313 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Your husband is going to be so happy to see you when he gets back and so proud of the progress you've made even if you're not yet at your goal weight when he gets back. Adjusting your calories and exercise so that you can lose two pounds a week will mean you'll make a lot of progress toward your goal in the next few months and will (hopefully) be making lifestyle changes that are healthy and that you can realistically sustain. Use his return date as motivation, but don't put pressure on yourself than to lose more weight than is safe and healthy in the time that he's gone.
  • SnackHips
    Options
    Thank you for the replies. It is true that even at 2 pounds I could make some real change, especially if I exchange fat for muscle. I guess I just needed a little sense talked into me. lol I will still push hard, don't get me wrong. I just won't beat myself up about slow progress.
  • GingerLolita
    GingerLolita Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Starting on a weight loss journey, even if you're only losing two pounds per week, will definitely give you the chance to develop healthy habits by the time he returns. Also, if you focus on fitness rather than becoming skinny, it's more likely that you will be in good enough shape to do all those physical activities together!
  • SnackHips
    Options
    I want to be "athletic" more than I want to be skinny. I live on a tropical island...the outdoor adventure beckons me! haha
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I really feel like losing all of the weight quickly will give me the ..., muscle to fat ratio, etc. that I need to keep it off

sorry. that's not how it works. Lose too fast, and you will lose muscle, and still not like how you look.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    Definitely go for fitness goals, then, and start that right away! You have good time to get that kind of 'fit' compared to now :) You also have good time to lose a very noticeable amount of weight (imho), but you'll want to make sure to fuel those workouts. Don't try to lose too quickly or your physical performance (and muscle mass) won't be what it could be by then.
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,803 Member
    Options
    As the first poster said, he is starting OVER. When you lose weight quickly, you do not develop the life long habits that you will need to be successful. Plus, eating 800 - 1200 calories a day makes it very difficult to meet your nutritional needs.

You're both adults and can certainly do what you want, but if you want to be healthy - that takes some time. If you just want to be skinny - go for it.

QFT
  • collingmommy
    collingmommy Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    A grown man shouldn't eat "just 800/1200" calories! You're going to gain it all back. Don't throw away your"fat"clothes! You're goingto need them!

Eat at a deficit, like, 20 percent below your tdee and lose fat, not numbers! It's not hard! And I'm sure your husband would prefer a healthy wife, with healthy habits, not a bag if bones who had her hair fall out, nails brittle, dark circles under her eyes and saggy skin.

Do your self a favor and do it right.
  • SnackHips
    Options
    I already said I am going to slow the goal, jeeze. lol I was just getting overly excited about the chance to get back in shape and surprise him. It is just a very tempting prospect. I am good at choosing nutrient dense food. My weight problem was mostly caused by alcoholism, sugar addiction, random binging....but I have overcome the first two and am fighting the third one like never before. Thanks again for the input though. It is nice to have advice and caution.
  • ikearch
    Options
    RE: I would be curious to know what you do for work outs. 700 calories day for a 30 year old male with only about 25 pounds to lose seems awfully low. What would you guess your weekly averages to be, with the "fat days"?

So far this month, my daily average with "fat days" is 1466 calories/day. I've jumped rope for 500 minutes and ran at 6.7mph for 20 min = 9546 calories burned. I do not calculate any other exercises that I do (weights, pull-ups, chin-ups, cooling down etc...). Looking at my calorie log, it's averaging down as the month goes on. I'm also working out more as the month goes on. My "allotted" calorie intake is 1560/day in effort to lose 2lbs/week, per MFP.