Should GIRLS do weight training?? in front of guys

Options

Replies

• RECowgill
    RECowgill Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    You have to learn to not care if men look because they will. And the answer is:

E
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Yes girls should.

and perhaps you're more interesting than the floor.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    You are paying for your gym membership (or college tuition or whatever). Use it how you want.

There is exactly one male regular in my Pilates class. The first time I saw him I thought: oh, I hadn't noticed there aren't more. And then never really thought about him again.
    Just do your thing. They are doing theirs.

ETA: be nice, polite. Say hi. I wouldn't flirt though. To me hooking up or meeting someone at the gym is like hooking up (or meeting someone) at work. Uncomfortable after.

PS: You're not a girl. You're a woman. :smile: Women rock.
  • ambiences
    ambiences Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Who cares what they think? Do whatever makes you happy. :)
  • jjscholar
    jjscholar Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I would say why not...

It should not matter...
  • don666car
    don666car Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    GUYS WILL "LOOK" ITS NEXT TO IMPOSSIBLE FOR US TO NOT BUT YOU SHOULD FEEL FREE TO LIFT AS THEY DO PLANT FITNESS IS ALL ABOUT NO "LUNKS" OR JUGEMENT I SEE LOTS OF WOMEN "TLIFTING" AT MY GYM AND THINK NOTING BUT "GOOD FOR THEM" AND POWER TO THEM BEING YOUNG YOU WILL GET MUCH ATTENTION FROM THE YOUNG MALE GUYS BUT AS A DAD I SAY BE A STRONG WOMEN AND NEVER AND I MEAN NEVER FEEL YOU CANT DO ANYTHING YOU WANT TO DO BECAUSE OF WHAT SOMEONE ELSE THINK OR SAYS OR JUST LOOKS AT GO GET THEM YOUNG LADY LIFT ON LIVE STRONG
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    Say hi to them and be friendly, you'll see them regularly and it pays to not be a mysterious female. Be one of the guys. Then put your music on and don't look at them - be flattered that they look at you but don't make eye contact and focus on yourself.

There's a lot of hormones flying around! Of course, if there's one you particularly like then ask them to show you how to squat properly. Being in the guys bit does have its benefits.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    The weight room is there for the benefit of ALL member of the gym, not just the males, not just the people who lift over X amount of weight. You pay the same membership fees and are entitled to the same benefits.

Honestly, they were probably just checking you out and it would have been partly because you were new to the weight area and a novelty. Keep going and they will get used to you being there.

A comment on your routine, make sure you have clear defined goals and do a program that is designed to help you move towards those goals. It's important to know why you are doing what you are doing. Not that you need justify your routine to anyone, but if someone were to approach you in the gym and ask what you were trying to achieve with all those reps, what would your response be? There may be a better way to achieve what you want (and in much less time)
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    You need to man up and put your big girl panties on and ignore them no matter what they are thinking. Or...put on a little show for them.
  • ggxx100
    ggxx100 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Men are humans, and biologically and neurologically inclined to look at other humans, more specifically women. I wouldn't think too much of it.

Put on your big girl pants and lift weights without paying mind to others around you in the gym.

And what are these muscular creatures thinking as you lift your 4 pound weights around them? Most likely nothing, beyond what rep they're on, the game playing that night, or what their going to eat next. I assure you, every one is more worried and focused on themselves at the gym.

A last tip, keep your headphones in. It lessens the chance of being interrupted or approached in the gym, in my experience. Also add in a mean scowl and don't shower for a few days.
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    You need to man up and put your big girl panties on and ignore them no matter what they are thinking. Or...put on a little show for them.

Haha! I was so self conscious at first, but when I do my bent over rows or dead lifts I think it's hilarious to see them trying NOT to look at my big booty! The other funny thing is when you are looking at your own form in the mirror and some big guy is in the way and thinks you're looking at him! Uh uh I've only got eyes for.....moi!
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Say hi to them and be friendly, you'll see them regularly and it pays to not be a mysterious female. Be one of the guys. Then put your music on and don't look at them

This is good advice to anyone. A lot of guys are intimidated too, and people think there is a lot of tension or whatever, but there really isn't. They're just there to get stuff done.
    So say hi, be friendly, but then get your stuff done too.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    Hello,

Okay I'm 18 years old and I've done weight training (light reps, e.g. 10 kg lunge weight) but with more than 800 reps in a single workout (which includes both upper and lower body). Therefore it's high reps and low weight training.

I'm petrified of the weights section at my gym and usually weight train at home. That's because the majority of that section is filled with huge, muscular guys pumping, some with their nostrils flared, teeth clenched. eeeeeeeeeek Anyway I went there yesturday with my light weights (lol I know) but I did enjoy a full body workout which was good. However, I felt so many stares from the guys, which was emphasised by the use of mirrors :O

Therefore, I felt self conscious... I've been to weight training classes so I hope I have good form and stuff, but are they just staring because of the light weights?? And should I train at home instead.. leave that domain to the guys??

What do guys actually think of girls who weight train?
    a) ARGHH she's trying to get buff and it's not looking good
    b) those weights are light pfft
    c) oh a girl who isn't doing cardio, interesting
    d) she's trying to hang out with guys
    e) that's awesome

Thanks!!

E

Go in their and lift like a boss....my heavans woman, on that place.
    Get your workout on, and if they stare, stare back at them......

I am glad to see women working out, I hate looking at guys after a while, I prefer some pretty scenery in between my sets.
    And that ain't guys.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    Hello,

Okay I'm 18 years old and I've done weight training (light reps, e.g. 10 kg lunge weight) but with more than 800 reps in a single workout (which includes both upper and lower body). Therefore it's high reps and low weight training.

I'm petrified of the weights section at my gym and usually weight train at home. That's because the majority of that section is filled with huge, muscular guys pumping, some with their nostrils flared, teeth clenched. eeeeeeeeeek Anyway I went there yesturday with my light weights (lol I know) but I did enjoy a full body workout which was good. However, I felt so many stares from the guys, which was emphasised by the use of mirrors :O

Therefore, I felt self conscious... I've been to weight training classes so I hope I have good form and stuff, but are they just staring because of the light weights?? And should I train at home instead.. leave that domain to the guys??

What do guys actually think of girls who weight train?
    a) ARGHH she's trying to get buff and it's not looking good
    b) those weights are light pfft
    c) oh a girl who isn't doing cardio, interesting
    d) she's trying to hang out with guys
    e) that's awesome

Thanks!!

I'm old enough to be your mama, and I lift in the men's section. I don't give a rat's *kitten* what the guys think of me in there. As a matter of fact, I have noticed recently that people seem to know MY schedule, and stay out of the power rack at *my* time. My old trainer says they are intimidated by my awesomeness :heart:

I have gotten about 3 comments:

" I haven't seen overhand grip front squats in a while. What made you decide to do them?"

"wow. You do ALL the squats" ( this from a foriegn guy from about 20 feet away)

" those squats look good" ( from the fitness attendant, who calls me his "little sister")

In the next few months, I want to start benching, doing deads and OHP.

ETA: I also started getting smiles and nods from the big scary muscle dudes about 6 months ago. Feels like respect to me :D
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Did you mean "body attack" referring to your aerobics class?? heeeheeee :)
    Shhhhsssshhh!... yep. I got it confused with 'body combat', which I told myself has some 'manly' element to it, because you're pretend-punching - I tried to do it more like proper shadow boxing, keeping my guard up etc. If I end up doing it again, will probably end up with some Kram moves in.

As for the OP, also; if it was a bloke doing those weights, they'd probably get more looks - for so light, while it's more 'expected' of a woman to be going for light and lots.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    Haha! I was so self conscious at first, but when I do my bent over rows or dead lifts I think it's hilarious to see them trying NOT to look at my big booty! The other funny thing is when you are looking at your own form in the mirror and some big guy is in the way and thinks you're looking at him! Uh uh I've only got eyes for.....moi!

I tell you what....
    I will check your form also......won't give any advice, but I will check it and make mental notes.

Sound good?? :laugh:
  • Sarahnade42x
    Sarahnade42x Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    1 no one cares
    2 e

This^

I strength train at the gym. No one really cares what anyone else does...the goal is to improve yourself. And the guys I've gotten to know there are awesome and motivating, not scary. I say keep doing it!
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Lol I am going to go with C
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    Nike said it best...
  • Vincentsz
    Vincentsz Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    e) that's awesome