Best way of getting over a break up?

Options

Replies

• 33Freya
    33Freya Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Get drunk and sleep with anything with a pulse
    ^^ ewww. Can you say STD?

Activity, NO CONTACT WITH THE EX, and working on yourself- push at the gym, take up a new hobby, make new friends (meetup.com is a great way to do all 3)

Good luck!
  • bonmomi
    bonmomi Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Meeting new people at completely different places than you would normally hang at. Best advice ever. I met great people and got out of my comfort zone. Try an exercise class you wouldn't normally do, an art class, pottery, a cooking class, a tae kwon do class, or volunteer! Do not go looking for love, but look for friendship and self expression. And above all, do NOT tell the new people you just broke up. Wait a bit. Otherwise they will try to set you up and we all know that rebounds are a no go! Good luck and get yourself out there!
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    Meeting new people at completely different places than you would normally hang at. Best advice ever. I met great people and got out of my comfort zone. Try an exercise class you wouldn't normally do, an art class, pottery, a cooking class, a tae kwon do class, or volunteer! Do not go looking for love, but look for friendship and self expression. And above all, do NOT tell the new people you just broke up. Wait a bit. Otherwise they will try to set you up and we all know that rebounds are a no go! Good luck and get yourself out there!

Great advice!!!
  • Donniedarko13
    Options
    Bang sloots, block that person completely cell, Facebook ect
  • TC1728
    TC1728 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I don't mean to sound like Dr. Phil but I'd nail one of her friends. Hard.
  • 2Heavy2Long
    2Heavy2Long Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Whine about it on the internet then smash the hot women that want to comfort you.
  • Twinkielingus
    Twinkielingus Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Lots of hot distractions
  • vanessalkl
    Options
    Strip club
  • arathena720
    arathena720 Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine once said that breaking up with someone should be like surviving cancer - cut the tumor out, throw it away and pray it never comes back.
  • Artaxia
    Artaxia Posts: 185
    Options
    After reading this thread, I have realized I'm not like most people. I feel the best way to get over someone is to stop thinking about them. If you block them out of your life, you'll soon forget your feelings thus getting over it. Get a hobby. Don't catch STDs or make unwanted babies. -_-
  • csmullins78
    csmullins78 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I had a very painful break-up at the end of the summer. I read a good book: "it's called a breakup because it's broken." It was helpful to me and helped me feel somewhat better. My therapist suggested "doing the next best thing" whenever I was missing him. So, I couldn't be with him, but I could take a long walk. I did increase my exercise to fight the mood swings and depression. I got rid of all his stuff. I leaned on my friends and family. I went on a few dates.

I got to the point (in about 3 weeks) where I could acknowledge that I loved him and still wanted him in my life, but that I would be just fine without him.

The funny thing is, when I got control of my emotions and could get through a day without crying, I started communicating with the ex again. Six weeks after the initial breakup and we got back together. Because I made such positive changes in my life, I was more confident, had higher self esteem, and learned not to sweat the small stuff. These changes made me generally more attractive and drew good things into my life.
  • walleyclan1
    walleyclan1 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    Find something you can really enjoy doing alone as a reminder that your happiness should come from within rather than from another person.
  • kariplz
    kariplz Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I also needed to read all of this. My ex and I broke up three weeks ago and in a way I was expecting it so it was easy for me to be like this is it and hit the gym more, stop thinking of him, get rid of his stuff etc... then on Thursday, he begged I go see him, he made me dinner, we laughed, had a wonderful night then he asked to see me again this weekend.. he came over my house, we had a wonderful day cooking, watching movies, snuggling, etc then all of a sudden he got quite and was like ' i need to go home, I don't feel in love with you like I did when we first started dating. I want to love someone more than they love me and our relationship doesn't feel right.' and he left... I haven't stopped crying since yesterday and this time it felt like it just hit me. I was a fool for going back to him after he already broke up with me and I am disappointed for allowing myself to just fall back into his arms.

Life must go on .. I'm just having a hard time figuring out where to start..
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    I also needed to read all of this. My ex and I broke up three weeks ago and in a way I was expecting it so it was easy for me to be like this is it and hit the gym more, stop thinking of him, get rid of his stuff etc... then on Thursday, he begged I go see him, he made me dinner, we laughed, had a wonderful night then he asked to see me again this weekend.. he came over my house, we had a wonderful day cooking, watching movies, snuggling, etc then all of a sudden he got quite and was like ' i need to go home, I don't feel in love with you like I did when we first started dating. I want to love someone more than they love me and our relationship doesn't feel right.' and he left... I haven't stopped crying since yesterday and this time it felt like it just hit me. I was a fool for going back to him after he already broke up with me and I am disappointed for allowing myself to just fall back into his arms.

Life must go on .. I'm just having a hard time figuring out where to start..

Ohhhh that wasn't nice of him do!!! REALLY inconsiderate and silly.

I suggest that you start by forgiving yourself for falling for his foolishness (because it WAS his foolishness) and see it for what it is: his immaturity.

Good luck, honey!
  • MM_1982
    MM_1982 Posts: 374
    Options
    No contact. No contact whatsoever.

Hit the gym harder, focus on self improvement, and find a new hobby (running, badminton, whatever).
  • tonybalony01
    tonybalony01 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Take every picture of the ex you can find down to the shooting range and use them for target practice.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options
    Craigslist Tranny Hookers, Jack Daniels and Blow.
  • 1989lukemyers
    1989lukemyers Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Wow...how fantastic this community is :) didn't expect four pages worth haha thanks everyone just reading all your posts it's amazing :)

And as for keeping busy I am at full time college studying sports and science also am at part time college studying swedish massage also volunteer at local fire station and with all the above i work any hours left working with vulnerable adults and children so don't think I can do much more on that lol

I don't want to sound soft and I get that there is a lot worse of people in the world but dam you women can hurt us men too, planning a life with someone and boom it's all over...

But Time is the best healer they say... Who's they,what do they no..fuarrk clearly got that wrong how much time is time god
    Keep busy they say, take your mind of it they say well guess what it don't work... I need chocolate now and lots of it :)
  • ACepero79
    ACepero79 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Hookers and blow. Wait, what?