Sweet Potatoes without all the Goo

Options
I love sweet potatoes, but I am not a big fan of all of the ooey, gooey, extra sweet casseroles that usually show up at Thanksgiving. I am looking for a sweet potato side dish that is pretty au natural. Anybody have any good recipes to share? Hold the marshmallows please!

Replies

• Gail3260
    Gail3260 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    We don't have Thanksgiving here in the UK so I don't know what you would usually do with them.

I like them boiled and then mashed with a spoonful of natural yogurt (or sour cream if you have calories to spare) and a little garlic.
  • Lindaspencer
    Lindaspencer Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    butter - salt and pepper - are great - but if you dont want the butter - then i have done chicken broth - or vegetable broth - along with salt and pepper - bake and it is pretty natural - verses -butter, brown sugar - marshmallows - or even syrup ive seen on them - lol -
  • shannonshay1
    shannonshay1 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I like them cooked the the oven with skin on, then peeled, mashed (no dairy or butter) and sprinkle with cinnamon. The cinnamon really added to the sweetness of the potato.
  • angulasalajillo
    Options
    I prick them with a fork, stick in the microwave for 5 minutes and then cut into wedges, spray with olive oil and roll in herbs and spices.
    Stick them in the oven for 15 minutes and you have some crispy, tasty sweet potato wedges :-)
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Just plain old baked sweet potato is what we are having. In the past, I made sweet potato layered with apples and cinnamon or pumpkin spice. You can put a streusel topping on but I just like it plain, no sugar added.
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    Cut them into 1" cubes, toss in olive or canola oil, salt and pepper and roast at 400 until tender (20 minutes or so). You can add other root vegetables to this mixture too and do a medley.

Bake them whole and serve with a sprinkling of cinnamon and sugar

Cut into 1" cubes, combine with apple wedges, fresh cranberries and walnuts or pecans. Toss in canola oil, salt, a little brown sugar and cinnamon. Place on a large piece of foil that has been sprayed with cooking spray (big enough to close over the mixture and seal). Fold over foil and seal well. Place on baking sheet and bake at 375 for 30 minutes, turning over halfway through for even browning.
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    I agree, it's like pie casserole sometimes.

I think this year I'm going to do mashed sweet potatoes instead of regular potatoes. Just bake, cool, peel off the skin, smash, a little salt and a lot of black pepper, and cram it into a crock pot to keep warm. A little unsalted chicken stock if it's a bit too thick.
  • stealthSLOTH
    stealthSLOTH Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    I love the goo and the wee little marshmallows, but my mom made this last year and it was pretty good.
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/tyler-florence/roasted-sweet-potatoes-with-honey-butter-recipe/index.html

= = =

Also, the egg whites give these sweet potato 'fries' an interesting texture and help the spices coat the pieces of sweet potato.
    http://www.marthastewart.com/261838/baked-sweet-potato-fries

^Neither may be as 'au natural' as you had envisioned, but these are both good. The baked fries are surprisingly satisfying!

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!
  • MeredithLee11
    MeredithLee11 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I've never understood that dish… Marshmallows ar dinner? Bleh!

I love simple roasted cubed sweet potato. Toss them with olive oil, salt and pepper (garlic and thyme also play very well with this dish). In the oven at 450F for about 40 minutes, giving them a toss/stir about half way through.

You could also mash them the exact same way you would regular potatoes and throw in some salt, pepper and minced garlic.
  • BikerGirlElaine
    BikerGirlElaine Posts: 1,631 Member
    Options
    Sweet potatoes are already very sweet as is. I have made this before and really loved it. It's 'special' enough to do on Thanksgiving. This is from http://www.radiantrecovery.com/thanksgiving.htm There are some other sweet potato recipes there too that you can check out. I made the sweet potato and wild rice stuffing one year but I wasn't a fan of it.

Twice- Baked Sweet Potato With Citrus and Mascarpone

Ingredients:

4 lbs. (6-8 medium-large) sweet potatoes (to yield 2 lbs. cooked sweet potato pulp)
    ½ cup fresh orange juice, with pulp
    8 oz. mascarpone cheese
    salt
    white pepper
    1 whole orange
    chopped fresh chervil
    Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 375º.

2. Bake sweet potatoes until a fork can be inserted easily, about 1 hour.

3. Cut potatoes in half lengthwise and carefully scrape pulp out of skins, leaving about 1/2" of potato lining the skin.

4. In a food processor, combine cooked pulp, orange juice, and 4 oz. mascarpone. Purée just until mixed.

5. Refill sweet potato skins with purée. Heat through for 15 minutes.

6. Preheat Broiler.

7. Dollop remaining mascarpone on top of each potato. Place underneath broiler just until mascarpone begins to brown. Watch carefully to avoid burning.

8. Using a fine zester, grate zest from one orange over potato halves and garnish with chopped chervil. Serve immediately.

Edited to more fully link to the source page
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I love that version of sweet potato - but I can't eat it all the time.

I make them the same way i make mashed potatoes- only butter and a little brown sugar- with some S/P and maybe cinammin. BF dearest likes them super sweet so he is not allowed to add the brown sugar to the whole mix- just to his plate.

I like the idea of roasting them with apple wedges cran berrries stuff!
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    I love sweet potatoes, but I am not a big fan of all of the ooey, gooey, extra sweet casseroles that usually show up at Thanksgiving. I am looking for a sweet potato side dish that is pretty au natural. Anybody have any good recipes to share? Hold the marshmallows please!

My favorite way to eat them-thinly slice them and spread them out on a baking sheet. Drizzle with a bit of oil and sprinkle salt and cinnamon sugar on top. Bake @ 400 for 8 minutes, flip and bake another 7-9 minutes, until they're just turning crisp :heart:
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    These are all great ideas. Thanks so much. now I don't know which to choose!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I have never liked them with all that sweet goo either.

They are wonderful baked or mashed, but my favorite is roasted. Just cut up, toss in oil, season with whatever seasonings you like (I like garlic powder, black pepper, and just a little cinnamon and cayenne), and bake at 375 - 400 until they start to brown.
  • chezjuan
    chezjuan Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    We always used to just simply bake them whole when I was younger. I still love them that way, with just a touch of butter.

Some years we would scoop the insides out of the skin and mash them, but leave the seasoning (butter, cinnamon, etc.) up to the individual diner.
  • AliceLMS
    AliceLMS Posts: 2,428 Member
    Options
    Peeled cut up and baked in a casserole with tart apple slices topped with a little brown suagar and walnuts.
  • sunnshhiine
    sunnshhiine Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Enter Sweet Potatoe Casserole with Carmalized Apples -- just so happens to be a new favorite of mine and my mothers. :)

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/weekend/food/recipes/2013/11/15/sweet-potato-casserole/3477733/

There's a pan of it currently in my fridge at home... AND I'm making it for Thanksgiving this year!

I omit the oil in the sweet potato portion (not for carmalizing the apples) and use all applesauce instead. I also only use half the amount of suggested Ginger, and substitute cinnamon for the other half. I loaded the recipe into MFP and it's only about 175 calories per serving. Not bad if I say so myself.

OR you could just do the tried-and-true plain mashed sweet potatoes topped with cinnamon. also a favorite of mine. :)
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    I cut them into thick chunks and roast them in the slow-cooker with a drizzle of honey, another drizzle of sherry, and tons of garam masala.
  • myfrogs11
    myfrogs11 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Anything that's slightly sweet on it's own, sweet potatoes, squash etc, I like to go savory on. Just roast with some olive oil, salt and pepper, herbs. I don't like my dinner food sweet, so I go this route.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I cut them into thick chunks and roast them in the slow-cooker with a drizzle of honey, another drizzle of sherry, and tons of garam masala.

that's interesting- I would have never thought to do that!