At home Cardio exercises that will help lose weight

Options
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone knew any at home cardio exercises that I could do for 20/30mins? mostly exercises that will help lose weight on my lower and upper stomach, thighs, legs, buttocks and arms? Although I mostly have stomach and thigh/leg trouble with losing weight so stomach and thighs/legs would be most helpful in the meantime.

Thanks in advance :)

Replies

• lindsayvernon
    lindsayvernon Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    there's really nothing you can do to spot reduce fat on your body, you just have to keep working and eventually you'll start to lose the weight over your entire body. I joined a great boot camp and one of the perks was getting a set of 7 at home workouts. These are full body workouts that require no equipment. I do them at home on the days that I can't make it to a class and I love them all. This is them:

The following are at-home bodyweight only workouts that you can do anytime you want.

Some general points:

Each workout is only about 10-20 minutes long
    You only need your body! (no equipment needed)
    You will be counting “reps” during the movement (for the most part) and looking at your watch during the rest periods to keep yourself honest. Just make sure you move fro one exercise to the next with little or no rest until the small break period!
    You can do these exercises at any point of the day
    Try to vary your workouts (don’t do the same workout over and over again)
    You may even consider doing 2 home workouts per day split with at least 6 hours apart (exception: don’t do a home workout if you’ve come to boot camp that day)t
    Believe in yourself!

Warm-Up:

Always warm-up with the following routine:

20 seconds of running in place
    20 seconds of running in place “butt-kicks”
    20 seconds of hands behind head “high-knees”
    20 seconds of fake “jump-rope”
    10 arm circles to the front
    10 arm circles to the back
    10 leg swings each leg (forward and backward and side to side)
    REPEAT ONCE MORE

Workout #1 – The Dirty 30

30 Push-ups (rest if you need to but get it done)

30 alternating reverse lunges with hands on head (15 for each leg)

30 squat jumps

30 straight leg raises

rest for 1 minute then repeat 2 more times!

Workout #2 – Up The Ladder, Down The Ladder

5 Close Grip Push-ups

10 Mountain Climbers

15 Reverse Crunches

20 Bicycles

25 Toe Touches

30 Squats

35 fake jump ropes

40 alternating forward lunges with hands behind head (20 each side)

then go in reverse back to 35,30,25 etc.

Rest 90 seconds when you have gone up and down the ladder, then repeat one more time!

Workout #3 – Tummy Toner

15 full sit ups

20 toe touches

25 straight leg raises

30 bicycles

45 seconds in planks position (just get on your forearms and hold your body tummy tight for 45 seconds

rest 30 seconds and repeat 3 more times!

Note: Please don’t do this home workout every single time! The name sounds tempting but you’re going to burn more fat with full body exercises and our general boot camp workouts! You can’t do a million sit ups a day and expect a lean, body-fat “free” midsection without full body resistance training workouts and smart eating. I put this workout in because there is nothing wrong with having a workout dedicated to a problem area but don’t fall into the trap of only doing ab stuff and expecting a new body! The 3am infomercial promise is NOT what we are about! We are about hard work, commitment, science, patience, failing forward and believing in yourself!

Workout #4 – Double Time

10 Burpees

20 Front to Back Jump Squats (jump and squat to the front, then backwards)

40 – Ab Windshield Wipers (20 each side)

rest one minute then repeat 4 more times!

Workout #5 – Why Did I Choose This One!

10 Squats

10 Right leg reverse lunges

10 Right leg forward lunges

10 Left leg reverse lunges

10 left leg forward lunges

10 Burpees

10 “up, up, down, down” push-ups

rest 1 minute, then repeat 3 more times!

Workout #6 - Outside Workout

If you’re gonna be outside in a park, this one is perfect!

20 seconds of all out “someone is chasing me and he looks mean” running immediately followed by 10 squats with hands behind hand and finishing with 10 push ups.

You rest 40 seconds then you repeat 6 more times for a total of 7 “all-out” sprints.

Workout # 7 – Cardio Equipment Workout -“The 20 Minute Solution”

If some of you still have your chain gym membership and you use the cardio machines or you have an elliptical or treadmill at home, here is a good workout to do that is way more effective than “steady-state cardio” and it’s faster. This can be done any piece of equipment.

Note: Level 1-10 is a “perceived level of difficulty” meaning level 1 is super easy for YOU, level 4-6 is moderate and level 10 is your absolute limit.

This is not “what the treadmill or elliptical speed or level is or says” – this is what YOU perceive to be tough for YOUR BODY.

Person A might think that a level 5 for her is running at a speed of 6.7 on the treadmill while person B that is out of shape might think that level 5 for her is simply walking.

Min 0-2 – level 5 (for you)

Min 2-3 – level 6

Min 3-4 – level 7

Min 4-5 – level 8

Min 5-6 – level 9

Min 6-7 – level 6

Min 7-8 – level 7

Min 8-9 – level 8

Min 9-10 – level 9

Min 10-11 – level 6

Min 11-12 – level 7

Min 12-13 – level 8

Min 13-14 – level 9

Min 14-15 – level 6

Min 15-16 – level 7

Min 16-17 – level 8

Min 17-18 – level 9

Min 18-19 – level 10 * this is the all out minute

Min 19-20 – cool down back at level 5

I printed these workouts out and take the paper with me. I'll mix them up sometimes, do two of one workout and two of another. These aren't easy workouts but you can give them a try. I'm already seeing the benefits.

Hope this helps!
  • Solbina
    Solbina Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    You should try 30D Shred or ripped really
  • joolywooly33
    joolywooly33 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    INSANITY!
  • sweetpea101077
    sweetpea101077 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    bump
  • maasha81
    maasha81 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I do home workout DVDs ...I started off with Jillian Michael 30 day shred and actually bought a couple more of her DVDs. I'm now doing insanity and I'm loving it,

I'd also recommend zuzkalight.com ....you can check YouTube for some of her workouts called ZWOW. It's short but can be intense.
  • DoingitWell
    DoingitWell Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Jumping jacks.
  • ScottF83
    ScottF83 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    +1 for Insanity.

I did P90X and then Insanity and lost 25 lbs :) Not all about the net weight loss anyway as you kind of adjust in programs like this.
    08782021 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Jollywooly is right. Insanity is great. I get better results from Body Attack though so went back to that.
  • maryjaquiss
    maryjaquiss Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Running works for me - I burn a lot more calories running for 30 minutes than doing a 30-minute workout video. Unfortunately you'll have to be patient in terms of losing thigh/belly fat. It'll come off eventually but only as you lose weight all over!
  • YouHadMyCuriosity
    YouHadMyCuriosity Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    PPs have it covered! DVDs will be your best friend for this :) I really like 30 day shred, and have recently been doing Kettleworx- my best advice is to find something that challenges you without being so difficult that you sacrifice form- when you are doing workouts at home without a spotter or trainer, you need to make sure your form is correct if you do anything too intense. (Speaking from experience, having messed my back up trying to do an exercise I didn't really know how to do)

The workouts I listed are, though, based a bit more in strength training mixed with cardio. When I used to focus on cardio exclusively (I don't anymore since my focus is more on strength training), I would go to Barnes and Noble, or Sports Authority, and buy their discount DVDs so I could try them out and mix them up- some days I would do belly dancing, yoga, Tae Bo, etc- if you can get a good variety of DVDs for cheap, you can figure out what you enjoy.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    You can't spot burn. Why do you think cardio workouts are the way to go?
  • Gilla22
    Options
    I have started doing the 30 day shred workout today.can you tell me how it was?did you lose weight?
  • BenjaminMFP88
    BenjaminMFP88 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    Hello,

I was wondering if anyone knew any at home cardio exercises that I could do for 20/30mins? mostly exercises that will help lose weight on my lower and upper stomach, thighs, legs, buttocks and arms? Although I mostly have stomach and thigh/leg trouble with losing weight so stomach and thighs/legs would be most helpful in the meantime.

Thanks in advance :)

There is no such this as targeted fat loss. Easiest thing to do would rotating the following:
    >Burpees
    >Jumping Jacks
    >Jump Rope
    >Jogging in place

For increased difficulty, throw in some light strength training in between the above:
    >Pushups
    >Squats
    >Lunges
    >Crunchs *various positions
    >Dips *you can use kitchen chairs for this
    >Reversed crunches
    >Romanian Deadlift *if you have anythings that weighs of an amount that you struggle to lift
  • LaraeTX
    LaraeTX Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I haven't read any of the other posts, but I like the Nike training club app.
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    Eat at a calorie deficit, that is all you need to do to lose weight.
  • IronPhyllida
    IronPhyllida Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Walk around with a plastic bag under your t-shirt :)
  • mertzk14
    Options
    Go to blogilates.com ...she has great workout videos!
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Get a barbell and plates.
  • NatsLady
    NatsLady Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    (1) Do you have a small step stool? Use that for "stair climbing." You can be watching/listening to TV at the same time.
    (2) Do you have an extension cord (unplugged)? Use that for a jump-rope.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    Get a barbell and plates.

+1