What was your "moment"?

Options

Replies

• cajun_qt
    Options
    I decided I no longer wanted to die.

I wanted to live, instead.

So I have spend every day since then, proving I meant it.
  • kellybellyjellyn
    Options
    I started a private blog in April 2011. Sort of an online diary where I wrote things along the way and here is my first entry.. I think this was my "moment"

It's really embarrassing to post but whatever.

here goes.. first entry

"This all started roughly 48hrs ago when I got horrible bug. I didn't wanna even think about or be near food. Eeek. Greasy horrible chunky garlic cheese chips all over the toilet bowl, that horrible sick desperate sweaty feeling. Having to drag my 19st *kitten* off the bathroom floor away from said toilet bowl and back to bed. Enough enough !!

I wouldn't feed my worst enemy all the crap I feed myself.

I DESERVE TO HAVE A BODY I'M PROUD OF!!"
  • Jerrypeoples
    Jerrypeoples Posts: 1,541 Member
    Options
    1454775_10202652520377251_196351348_n.jpg

the moment i saw this picture in 2011 (obviously on the right) the pic on the left is about a month and a half old. i always knew i was a fatty and worked just hard enough not to get bigger and continue eating fast food 4-5 times a week.

once i got back from vacation and saw this pic with my family that switch just went off
  • kittykat1994
    kittykat1994 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    When I finished breastfeeding my triplets exercise became a way for me to get out of the house and have some me time. I've never looked back.

Wow, that's awesome! I know hard work, but still kinda cool. Grats!
    Agreed!
    I've breastfed three children, but not at the same time and that was hard enough haha :P

I'm one of a triplet. I can remember my sisters and I running my mum around in circles! I imagine me time for you is a struggle! Good luck :)
  • kittykat1994
    kittykat1994 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I have always been overweight. I lost a couple of stone all of a sudden (I didn't try?!) a couple of years ago and I felt it wasn't enough. I have been on here for a good couple of years off and on. I first joined just when I lost weight as I was trying to lose half a stone. I first joined i was 140lb trying to get down to 133lbs. I'm 5"2. All of my family were over weight and I was scared I'd be the same. I've always had a beer belly and I hated it.

I soon realised I was a healthy weight and to stop worrying I disappeared from here for a while. I came on here briefly and tracked a day or two saw each time I'd way a little more. Over the years I have gotten too comfortable and gained over three stone. Mostly since I started university just over a year ago. I gained 10 pounds in the last month from the ridiculous amount of takeaway I eat.

Now I am moderating what I eat and going to the gym. I may still have a domino, but instead of having a pizza and sides, I had a wrap and cookies today which I have tracked (and not gone over my calories!) and I now ALOT healthier. I'm not looking to be super thin with muscles, I just want to be able to wear a bikini on the beach next summer and not feel a whale. I've got stretch marks yet I have no children which is embarrassing for me.

My moment is very recent. I am determined to get it off and be 140lbs again! I
  • bobkat80
    bobkat80 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I had looked at MFP before and even signed in, but never followed through. My "moment" came seven weeks ago when I was almost crying because it was so hard to get dressed and I was struggling to tie my shoes. I had to ask my husband to tie them for me! I started on MFP the next day and have lost 20 lbs so far. I have a long ways to go, but I think I can stick with it this time because of ALL YOU PEOPLE who support me and each other. Thank you, thank you! Just hearing about others who are going through the same things I am is so encouraging.
  • ModernNerd
    ModernNerd Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    For me it was a particularly bad breakup. When I ended things, I was told by even my closest "friends" that I wasn't supposed to be the one doing the breaking up, that I wasn't pretty enough to be dating him in the first place, and that I should have enjoyed the opportunity to date a hot guy while I had the chance. My "moment" wasn't so much about a number on the scale as it was about perspective. I realized I had become passive about far too many things in my life from my nutrition and general health to the people I was choosing to surround myself with.

I started running as a way to relieve stress and remove myself from the temptation to go back to aforementioned boyfriend. At the nudging of a close friend I started incorporating weight training as well and educating myself on nutrition. The goal was always to just get out of my head a bit, but the physical results turned out to be fabulous perks:) I now am healthier, happier, and have consistently managed to find myself dating D1 athletes and models since then so a big HA! to the naysayers :drinker:
  • Aggrazel2
    Options
    My grandmother passed away.

I had always before worried about my weight problem in terms of how it affected me. How I looked, or how I thought people looked at me, those were always my primary concerns really, a sense of vanity. I can't really say that I cared that much about the lack of mobility I had, or the inability to do certain things. Maybe that's a matter of depression, I wanted to get up and move and excercise and go out and have fun but the fact that my obesity caused me to be unable to do those things didn't really bother me as much as it should have.

I failed on those diets. I failed on my goals. But it didn't bother me, because at the heart of it, I didn't really care about it. I had dealt with being obese all of my life, pretty much, but I didn't care because I thought the problem was just my problem and I could deal with it.

But then I watched my grandmother die. You have to understand, I loved her very, very much. She was a very strong woman, and a very powerful force in my life. However, toward the end, it felt like she was giving up on herself. Now, I don't mean to say she was a bad person for this. Its just, well for example, buying a "lift" chair for herself instead of doing more physical therapy to make sure she retains the strength to get out of a chair on her own. Refusing to do her physical therapy because she was "too tired".

She was a very old woman, I do not blame her for those things. But she was giving up on herself and it was so painful to watch. I loved her so much, but what do you say to someone who is resigned to the fact that they will not walk again instead of trying as hard as they can to gain back their mobility.

But she was 88. Maybe at 88 that is the natural way of things. Maybe she just simply did not possess the ability to continue. She was a very strong woman and she fought breast cancer and beat it, she fought sexism in her industry and still came out ahead. She raised 5 children mostly by herself. I say all this because I admired her so much for how much she fought against things.

I am 38. I have struggled my entire life with obesity. But it was always my fight, and a fight that I lost over and over again. My grandmother made me finally realize that this is not about me. I fight for myself for those who love me. Always before I had looked for inspiration from within. That works for some people, but it didn't work for me. I had to look outside of myself, and see how me being obese adversely, even indirectly, affected those who love me.

I look at my wife and son, who have always accepted me for who I am. Never have they pressured me to diet, or been embarrassed of my size. They accept the fact that sometimes I can't do things with them, like ice skating or bike riding. But they shouldn't have to do those things. They love me and I owe it to them to take as good of care of myself as I possibly can.

It may sound silly, but until my grandmother I never thought about it in those terms. It's been 7 months now and I'm still fighting every morning. I refuse to give up on myself anymore.
  • thatgirlkellib
    thatgirlkellib Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Well, "My moment" was when I didnt even want to wear a bathing suit to my own pool in my own backyard at my own party!
    I had a party with family and friends and everyone was going to lounge and swim at the pool and I didnt want to undress to a bathing suit because I was ashamed of my body! Had my first child at 22 in feb 2013. September 25 2013 I decided to make a change! I weigh 17lbs less now and I am still on track-- losing 1- 2-3lbs per week. I have been 45-60mins walking 4-5 times per week and some areobics at home. eating no junk processed foods / less refined carbs.
    I want to feel free in my own body again! im only 22! 53 lbs to go and I will be at my goal of 140 lbs.
  • melncuj
    melncuj Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hi!
    My moment was....

I was just sitting at home talking to my sister online and I took a photo to send to her saying "good morning" and when I looked at the photo I noticed that a double chin was starting. :( I knew I had gained a lot of weight, none of my clothes fit. My jeans wouldn't even come close to going over my butt lol. That was the moment I said enough is enough. I have to do something about this no matter how much it hurt. I started doing fitness at home and walking lots!
    I have always been a tiny person with the exception of a weight gain once before. My whole family is pretty much over weight with diabetes and I just didn't want to become that way if I could do anything about it.
  • AlbertaBunny
    Options
    In December 2012, I had two moments. My "big" pants were getting tight, and I stepped on the scale at the doctor's office only to find that I was 11 pounds heavier than the heaviest I swore I'd ever let myself get.

THIS!!! Except it was on my gym scale, not the doctors:)
  • melncuj
    melncuj Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    When everything except stretchy clothes fit me. I hadn't really looked at myself in a mirror and when I did, I was disgusted and disappointed. That moment is my reminder and motivation each and every day.

Now I have another problem....everything in my closet is too big!!!!

I have this problem too :) Feels good though :)
  • PaulHalicki
    PaulHalicki Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    This go-around, my "moment" was when I finally got the MFP app to work on my phone. I kept dismissing it because it wouldn't let me change my weight and gender and stuff. I finally signed up for an account here and the online version finally showed the right profile characteristics, and I could see that everything synched. Since then I've been using the app.
  • fat2fit72014
    Options
    After a series of events that happened to me in the beginning of the year I decided it was time to take over and change a lot. This is just apart of my change. I have also managed to pay off almost all of my debt, start a business and save quite a bit. I am in the process of making me the best I possibly could be, and I love it!
  • starryvagabond
    starryvagabond Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I think I had a series of moments. But none so profound as the one that finally kicked me into gear.

I always knew I was fat and out of shape. I always knew it was bad for me. But my thought was "I'm young, I've got time".

During my training for my job, I had to take a course. And one of the subjects was obesity-related diseases. My father had just died a few months beforehand, so I was highly aware of my mortality. And when they said you could have heart disease as young as 25 (which I am), I burst into tears. I cried for 5-10 minutes, and then realised I needed to change. I needed to reverse the inevitable if I kept going. So now here I am, working on it. :)
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    After a series of events that happened to me in the beginning of the year I decided it was time to take over and change a lot. This is just apart of my change. I have also managed to pay off almost all of my debt, start a business and save quite a bit. I am in the process of making me the best I possibly could be, and I love it!

:drinker:

Love it, congrats!
  • kaittea
    kaittea Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    My moment was after a night of drinking at university. There had been pictures of me wearing this tight blue dress, and after seeing it I realized how much weight I had gained. I was absolutely mortified, but after that I made the decision to committing my summer to losing weight. During this time I discovered tumblr and was so motivated and inspired by it that I fell in love with nutrition and fitness. :)
  • dovesouls
    Options
    My "moment" came when my new "middle-age-shrunken-height" put me into the "obese" category. I knew it was time to tackle the tire. :huh:
  • mapenguinkeeper
    Options
    I had just scored the job of a lifetime and had to submit health forms re: meds and ailments ( I work in a hospital). Being on blood pressure meds the nurse practitioner took my blood pressure at was freaked that was something like 170/100. I told her I had white coat syndrome, but she would NOT let me leave her office until she had spoken with my personal physician. It didn't help that she had asked me about familiy history and my mother died of a stroke at 60 and my sister of a heart attack at 45. They both smoked and had a horrible diet. I was afraid she wasn't going to give me clearance to get my badge and no badge=no job. I've always had a very clean diet, but I had been so depressed and sedintary for the last few years after losing my younger sister, my business and my will to live, so I joined the gym that a few of my co-workers also attend. We keep each other in check about going most days or we take a long walk on the days it is too pretty to be inside. I live in Boston so pretty days are few and far between for the next 6 months :wink: This morning I was down almost 5 lbs.
  • fat2fit72014
    Options

:drinker:

Love it, congrats!

Thank you :)