Rescued puppy that was left to die -what is he?

Options

Replies

• LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Not helpful here but hes beautiful!!
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I don't know specifics about the breed but generally, to raise a puppy...

Crate train. I always let my dogs sleep with me, but crate them while at work or away until they are older and trusted to not tear things up or go potty in the house. My 2 jack russels went 3 years without being in a crate and I recently started using one again at certain times. If we have company they go nuts at first so I put them in there and they are calm, one is scared of storms and likes to go in when its thundering, and the best is traveling in the car with them in the crate. It is a comforting safe place for them, not for punishment.

Get some Nylabones to keep him occupied when you cant play with him, and rope or tug of war type toys to play with you. Teach him what toys are vs anything he wants to chew in the house. This should also help with the nipping. Does he still have baby teeth? For the puppy bites, I used to turn my dogs' lip under its tooth while it was "biting" and calmly / sternly say NO. It kept my hand from getting scratched and let's them know that it hurts!

If there are any habits you might not want him to have when he's older, start on those now. For example, if you don't want him on the furniture when he's bigger, he can't get on now. I wish my couch wasn't constantly covered in hair, but I'd rather vacuum constantly than not snuggle them every night. :smooched: If I decided to try to keep them off at this point, there is no way they would have it. Lol

Hope that helps!

crate crate crate!!! Best thing we ever did for our dogs it's their home and their security. Once you get over the initial puppy protest and whines you'll be so happy you crated the dogs.
  • gingabebe
    gingabebe Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I put a treat in the box and took a toy and said here is where it goes - Toys Up is what I say now and point or walk over to the box to let her know. They really are a intelligent breed. I had a Bull Mastiff once and she was a big baby but not so trainable. Cattle Dogs go through the toys! She shredded a tire toy in a week or so into tiny little tire pieces. She only chewed up one chair leg as a pup and sticks with her toys now.

Here is pic of her as a pup- crossing my fingers this works, first time posting an image:

b5.jpg
  • featherbrained
    featherbrained Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Australian Cattle Dog (Blue Heeler)- I have one myself and she is the best dog in the world. We have cattle, but she mostly herds our chickens. They can be very dominant and need a strong leader. She is fine with my oldest son, but my youngest she tries to nip at. We are working with her on that, it helps if they can be exhausted through long walks or runs and lots of fetch. They are extremely smart and very trainable. My Bindi puts her toys up and can sit and stay on command. I never had much luck training dogs before, but she's so darn smart she picks up on everything I teach her.

Ditto! Mine is half heeler half Border Collie, but the heeler personality is dominant. Best dog I ever had. But training is essential.

Mine is annhilating the coon population that is currently stalking my chicken flock. Every morning, dead coon in the yard, smiling heeler :p
  • gingabebe
    gingabebe Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    i wish mine would have taken care of the fox that took out 9 of my chickens this summer. We have been keeping them in their yard instead of free ranging and they are not as happy as they should be. I know some people have problems with heelers killing chickens, looks like we have two well behaved ones.

To the OP, I am so glad your husband heard him barking. The cruelty of some people astounds and sickens me.
  • ldrosophila
    Options
    I put a treat in the box and took a toy and said here is where it goes - Toys Up is what I say now and point or walk over to the box to let her know. They really are a intelligent breed. I had a Bull Mastiff once and she was a big baby but not so trainable. Cattle Dogs go through the toys! She shredded a tire toy in a week or so into tiny little tire pieces. She only chewed up one chair leg as a pup and sticks with her toys now.

Here is pic of her as a pup- crossing my fingers this works, first time posting an image:

b5.jpg

too adorable
  • tiggerhammon
    tiggerhammon Posts: 2,211 Member
    Options
    awe cute can we track the person down and tie them to a tree. poor dog thank you and your family for showing him love

Right!!! I can't believe someone could do this. Sometimes there is a dog that doesn't work out for a family (even I question still if he will for sure work out here) but I can't see how anyone could ever ever abuse an animal and how someone can feel good about leaving him to die!
  • tiggerhammon
    Options
    Australian Cattle Dog (Blue Heeler)- I have one myself and she is the best dog in the world. We have cattle, but she mostly herds our chickens. They can be very dominant and need a strong leader. She is fine with my oldest son, but my youngest she tries to nip at. We are working with her on that, it helps if they can be exhausted through long walks or runs and lots of fetch. They are extremely smart and very trainable. My Bindi puts her toys up and can sit and stay on command. I never had much luck training dogs before, but she's so darn smart she picks up on everything I teach her.

I guess this partly sums up why I am scared. I am not a strong leader, not good at being the stern owner, lol. I am a pushover, which is why my only pet until now has been a tortoise :p
    Also, with morning sickness and many other things, I dont have the energy, time or desire to go on long walks every day. My daughter takes him out 3 times a day. I will be taking them to the park to play and run around together after he's been fixed and had his shots.
  • mmipanda
    mmipanda Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    awww, glad your husband found him! I have a cattledog x kelpie. He's insane. This is what photos of us look like:

94b59308c4b711e2bc6c22000a9f38d4_7.jpg
  • tiggerhammon
    Options
    Get some Nylabones to keep him occupied when you cant play with him, and rope or tug of war type toys to play with you. Teach him what toys are vs anything he wants to chew in the house. This should also help with the nipping. Does he still have baby teeth? For the puppy bites, I used to turn my dogs' lip under its tooth while it was "biting" and calmly / sternly say NO. It kept my hand from getting scratched and let's them know that it hurts!

If there are any habits you might not want him to have when he's older, start on those now. For example, if you don't want him on the furniture when he's bigger, he can't get on now. I wish my couch wasn't constantly covered in hair, but I'd rather vacuum constantly than not snuggle them every night. :smooched: If I decided to try to keep them off at this point, there is no way they would have it. Lol

Hope that helps!

Looks like all his baby teeth are gone but we have been struggling with him chewing on things. That is a habit I would definitely like broken - and soon! Oh, and face licking, he definitely can't keep doing that.
  • MM_1982
    MM_1982 Posts: 374
    Options

b5.jpg

Cute puppy. wouldpet/10
  • tiggerhammon
    Options

b5.jpg

Very adorable puppy! I imagine that's probably a lot how mine looked when he was really little.
    I need to get him more toys, hopefully this will help with the chewing.
  • sarahg148
    sarahg148 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    That person who did that to that poor dog needs to be tied to a tree! F ing people.
  • mmipanda
    mmipanda Posts: 351 Member
    Options

Hope that helps!

Looks like all his baby teeth are gone but we have been struggling with him chewing on things. That is a habit I would definitely like broken - and soon! Oh, and face licking, he definitely can't keep doing that.

lots of chew toys! And be strict - if you let him have one old crappy sock, he'll think all socks are ok. :laugh:

best of luck re: face licking though, mine is the worst for it. hence the face i'm pulling in that blurry picture
  • Redbird99ky
    Redbird99ky Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    He looks like an Australian Blue Healer to me. He's cute as a button!
  • Slrajr
    Slrajr Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Duff a kong with treats, add some yogurt or wet dog food and freeze. It will keep him occupied and give him something fun and challenging to do. I used to have a dog who would drop the kong down the stairs outside if a treat was wedged in too well. (Great problem solving skills)
  • SuperCrsa
    SuperCrsa Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Aw you and your husband are just awesome! that is all!
    :flowerforyou:
  • ldrosophila
    Options

I guess this partly sums up why I am scared. I am not a strong leader, not good at being the stern owner, lol. I am a pushover, which is why my only pet until now has been a tortoise :p
    Also, with morning sickness and many other things, I dont have the energy, time or desire to go on long walks every day. My daughter takes him out 3 times a day. I will be taking them to the park to play and run around together after he's been fixed and had his shots.

You can do it! There is something amazing when you and your dog connect and he understands you and you are the leader. It's a very cool experience my girls got in trouble tonight for digging again, and I just had to give them the look and click my fingers and they knew it was time to go into the kennels for time out. Once he grows up and learns his boundaries and your children fall in love with him to pieces you wont imagine your life without his cute, chewy, obnoxious ways.

BTW finally saw the pic and his such a cutie.
  • ldrosophila
    Options

Hope that helps!

face licking loud stern Stop! or whatever you use to show you are displeased, and turn your head and ignore until he stops. On the other hand, that's a good sign puppies and submissive dogs always lick the face of the dominant dog.

chewing lots of chewies and cant stress enough the crate training this is where he can go and chew on whatever he is allowed to chew. He's going to have to go through the chewing stage dogs have to, but if you can make it positive and give him something to exercise his jaw and teeth. I got a great destructive proof nylabone "tree branch" I fill it with pupperoni and it gives the dogs something to chew and try to get the treat out.
  • tiggerhammon
    Options
    Just an update for anyone still following this ...

We did get him to a vet (three times actually), he got all of his shots, got neutered and got a clean bill of health. He is approx 9 months old and vet believes he is full blue heeler.
    We got him fattened up and happy and healthy before he left. He is house trained (only goes potty outside), doesn't lick faces, responds to his name and was doing lots better on not chewing on things, almost had him broke on that.

He left just this past weekend for our friend's ranch. It really is in his best interest. We only have an apartment and he is so much happier with room to run. He always wanted out and I just didn't have the time for him that he needed. But, we can always go visit him and he is learning to be a true ranch dog now, he is really better off there.

Oh, my daughter named him Stryder.