Tip controversy - Hoax or misunderstanding?

Options
2»

Replies

• BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    in because I am always looking for a tip

don't take candy from strangers in panel vans.

you're welcome.
  • 2Heavy2Long
    2Heavy2Long Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    not really, if the waitress and/or restaurant in any way disclosed the patrons identities, they have grounds for a libel suit. i have to assume that was the case, since why would this couple otherwise come forward to defend themselves.

The couple asked NBC not to reveal their names. Not sure why that would matter if the server revealed this information on FB. According to the story, they came forward because the story wasn't going away and they wanted people to know the money they were donating was under false pretenses.
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,779 Member
    Options
    they wouldn't know, but i have seen people leap to conclusions based solely on looks (and sometimes less info than that) all over the place.

True. But I would hope someone wouldn't leave a note like that based on someone's haircut or something.

I suppose it's possible she mentioned a "girlfriend" in passing chit-chat in a way that context made it clear the GF was an SO and not just a friend, though.

yeah...i would hope someone wouldn't leave a note, but at the same time, nothing would surprise me.
  • TheSlorax
    TheSlorax Posts: 2,401 Member
    Options
    in because I am always looking for a tip

don't take candy from strangers in panel vans.

you're welcome.

nice tip brah!
  • carriem73
    carriem73 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    this would have been so easy for the server to pull off- as a server, you run the credit cards throught the machine that charges- it is possible to reprint checks... she probably reprinted a check, and wrote on the duplicate.

There is an easy way to prove whether or not she received the tip- at the end of a shirt, the servers have to reconcile all thier credit card charges in the machine- the tip had to have been added in at the reconciliation stage, or the charge would have shown up on the credit card statement at the original amount.

If you want the video of the news confronting her, she can't give any answers- she is busted and she knows it....
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    Would they have had a conversation about her lifestyle? I don't imagine so.

If you look under the red circle on the reciept to the right, it says: 11/13 19:19 93.55 and it says Customer Copy so it would have already been processed through the terminal.

Strange situation.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    $15 for a wonton? :noway: Now THAT"S controversial!

Ahahaha!
  • 2Heavy2Long
    Options
    Picture of server and one copy of the receipt.

2D9697201-today-waitress-receipt-131115.blocks_desktop_tease.jpg
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

Going out on a limb to say she probably was not in uniform when she was waiting tables. :-)
  • 2Heavy2Long
    Options
    this would have been so easy for the server to pull off- as a server, you run the credit cards throught the machine that charges- it is possible to reprint checks... she probably reprinted a check, and wrote on the duplicate.

There is an easy way to prove whether or not she received the tip- at the end of a shirt, the servers have to reconcile all thier credit card charges in the machine- the tip had to have been added in at the reconciliation stage, or the charge would have shown up on the credit card statement at the original amount.

If you want the video of the news confronting her, she can't give any answers- she is busted and she knows it....

You provide a great explanation for how she could have pulled it off, but what is still unclear is why the restaurant originally supporter her story. They should have been able to easily tell whether or not the lower amount was processed.
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    What bothers me even more... how would the customers even KNOW about her 'lifestyle' unless she outright told them?
  • 2Heavy2Long
    Options

Going out on a limb to say she probably was not in uniform when she was waiting tables. :-)

lol Of course that was used by the media to make it more of a story.

waitresstip.jpg?ve=1
  • carriem73
    carriem73 Posts: 333 Member
    Options

You provide a great explanation for how she could have pulled it off, but what is still unclear is why the restaurant originally supporter her story. They should have been able to easily tell whether or not the lower amount was processed.

As far as the restaurant supporting her from the get-go... I would think they would be too afraid to be labeled as "unfriendly" to gays. The PR would have been a nightmare for them- even if they could prove she was wrong, the media jumps on these things so quicky, then prints a tiny retraction if they are wrong. The management probably didn't think any customer would actually recognize the receipt and come forward to dispute her story.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

lol Of course that was used by the media to make it more of a story.

waitresstip.jpg?ve=1

Ah. I bet the customers are against guages.
  • 2Heavy2Long
    Options
    As far as the restaurant supporting her from the get-go... I would think they would be too afraid to be labeled as "unfriendly" to gays. The PR would have been a nightmare for them- even if they could prove she was wrong, the media jumps on these things so quicky, then prints a tiny retraction if they are wrong. The management probably didn't think any customer would actually recognize the receipt and come forward to dispute her story.

Reasonable explanation. It certainly wouldn't shock me if a manager gets fired over this incident.
  • eazy_
    eazy_ Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    What bothers me even more... how would the customers even KNOW about her 'lifestyle' unless she outright told them?

Whatever happened, the couple believes it may have begun with a misunderstanding.

They said they thought the hostess who sat the family told them their server would be “Dan,” and when Morales showed up at their table, the wife exclaimed “whoa, you’re not Dan.”

Morales wrote in her Facebook post that the wife said, “oh I thought you were gonna say your name is Dan.

You sure surprised us!”
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options

Whatever happened, the couple believes it may have begun with a misunderstanding.

They said they thought the hostess who sat the family told them their server would be “Dan,” and when Morales showed up at their table, the wife exclaimed “whoa, you’re not Dan.”

Morales wrote in her Facebook post that the wife said, “oh I thought you were gonna say your name is Dan.

You sure surprised us!”

except that has nothing to do with claiming that they didn't tip and that they wrote a nasty note on the receipt.

unless the waitress decided to invent the whole scenario to "get back at them" over a perceived insult.

in which case, it would provide motive for why they were singled out.
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options

You sure surprised us!”

This is a whole lotta noise for a whole lotta nothing. >.<

My name is one of those names that could be easily mistaken for a guys name. I wouldn't be offended if someone was like: OH! I thought you'd be male...

I'd laugh it off and agree that yes my name can cause confusion and then get on with the order...
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    Hoax and pitiful attempt to raise more controversy surrounding her lifestyle and get some sympathy.

This.