im trying to kick pop, is mio ok to substitute?

Options

Replies

• MyQuest4HealthierMamaMichelle
    Options
    I agree with you MakingAChoice. NO need for her to be rude about it. I'm sure she ingests plenty of chemicals and doesn't even realize!
  • jcangelcat
    Options
    If anyone in interested in sweetening your drinks, why not try Stevia - which is a natural plant based sweetener, and is not an artificial sweetener.
  • jenchamb1
    jenchamb1 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I drink seltzer water, plain and flavored, it is really the carbonation I crave not the soda.
  • kingscrown
    kingscrown Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    I quit soda or pop as you like to call it in January of 2012. I was only going to do it for one month. Once I was off of it for 2 weeks I couldn't believe how much better I felt. My carb cravings reduced by over half. I attribute it to the artificial sweeteners. So, if you're going to do this make sure you don't get any artificial sweeteners. Mio probably has it. I did have withdrawals from my delicious diet coke. The fizz, the flavor, just something other than water to drink. What I got use to and love now is tea. I do also enjoy water now when it had started to become my arch enemy. I like to get carbonated water with lime in it occasionally. I had to find teas I love. That took some experimenting. I drink it iced and hot.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Mio contains propylene glycol which is one of the main ingredients in antifreeze. No thank you.
    No it isn't. Meth, eth, prop, but, hex...
    You have your carbons mixed up. That's like saying ethanol and methanol are the same...
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Mio contains propylene glycol which is one of the main ingredients in antifreeze. No thank you.
    tigerpalm.jpg

Propylene glycol is a food additive. They started putting it in antifreeze to replace ethylene glycol because propylene glycol is non-toxic. BTW, WATER is also a main ingredient in antifreeze, so you might want to avoid that, too.
  • CorlissaEats
    CorlissaEats Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I mix about 145mL of apple juice with a can of club soda. It gives me the fizz and bite of soda but way less sugar and chemicals.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    Ok, I can't, I just can't. I tried to leave this alone, but I can't. EVERY DAMN THING YOU STICK IN YOUR MOUTH IS A CHEMICAL. There are PLENTY of "natural" products out there that are 1000 times worse for you than the chemicals in MIO and the like (use of hyperbole to make a point). If you had taken one SINGLE semester of organic chemistry, that ingredients list wouldn't bother you in the least, but since you CLEARLY haven't MAYBE you should not make bombastic comments about topics for which you have not been properly educated.

Thank you,
    A science teacher
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Ok, I can't, I just can't. I tried to leave this alone, but I can't. EVERY DAMN THING YOU STICK IN YOUR MOUTH IS A CHEMICAL. There are PLENTY of "natural" products out there that are 1000 times worse for you than the chemicals in MIO and the like (use of hyperbole to make a point). If you had taken one SINGLE semester of organic chemistry, that ingredients list wouldn't bother you in the least, but since you CLEARLY haven't MAYBE you should not make bombastic comments about topics for which you have not been properly educated.

Thank you,
    A science teacher
    I wish more people would pay attention in your class...or even take it.
  • tigersword
    Options
    I mix about 145mL of apple juice with a can of club soda. It gives me the fizz and bite of soda but way less sugar and chemicals.
    Less chemicals? What do you think makes the fizz in club soda? Chemicals. What do you think makes the water in club soda? Chemicals. What do you think apple juice is made of? Chemicals.
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    It all depends on why you are quiting soda. If it is because you have a false belief that the artificial sweetners in it are bad for you, well then you are getting the samething from Mio, and your Powerade. Actualyl besides the carbination, there probably isn't a huge difference healthwise at all.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    I'm teaching aquatic science right now, seriously, the chemicals some animals use to maintain osmotic homeostasis would make that list look silly. Not to mention the fish that produce antifreeze naturally.... People intentionally ingest TDT's because it makes their mouth go all tingly and eat pounds and pounds of tuna without batting an eyelash, but clearly MIO is the real danger.
  • Lauren8239
    Lauren8239 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    There's nothing more refreshing than lemon juice and water. :drinker:
  • dizzow
    dizzow Posts: 65
    Options
    My opinion is that Mio is ok to switch to for now. If you are concerned about the chemicals then you can change from that to something more healthy when you are mentally ready to do so. The diet pop already pumps you full of nasty chemicals. I agree that what is best for our bodies is the organic, chemical free way, but for some, its too much of a change all at once, or is not feasible for whatever reason. There are alternatives, as many have mentioned. One thing I don't think I've seen in previous posts is tea, green or regular. If you are concerned about water retention then just make it weak, just enough to flavor the water.
    One thing I do sometimes is to add lemon juice and a sweetener packet (gasp, I know) You don't have to add the sweetener.
    If you are able to keep water in the fridge, you can slice up an apple into a pitcher and add a cinnamon stick. Let set for several hours. Yum. Others have mentioned other fruits as well.
    I'm all for you getting off of the pop because of what it does, the carbonation affects our joints, and studies have shown that the imitation sugar is chemical laden and can assist in maintaining "the sweet tooth" and other things, However, I think its up you to decide what works to get you to the place you want to be - even if it's one little step at a time.
  • sheldonz42
    sheldonz42 Posts: 233 Member
    Options

Thank you,
    A science teacher

So much this. Of course, one should never let the facts get in the way of a little internet fantasy danger - all the chemicalz!!!
  • tigersword
    Options
    My opinion is that Mio is ok to switch to for now. If you are concerned about the chemicals then you can change from that to something more healthy when you are mentally ready to do so. The diet pop already pumps you full of nasty chemicals. I agree that what is best for our bodies is the organic, chemical free way, but for some, its too much of a change all at once, or is not feasible for whatever reason. There are alternatives, as many have mentioned. One thing I don't think I've seen in previous posts is tea, green or regular. If you are concerned about water retention then just make it weak, just enough to flavor the water.
    One thing I do sometimes is to add lemon juice and a sweetener packet (gasp, I know) You don't have to add the sweetener.
    If you are able to keep water in the fridge, you can slice up an apple into a pitcher and add a cinnamon stick. Let set for several hours. Yum. Others have mentioned other fruits as well.
    I'm all for you getting off of the pop because of what it does, the carbonation affects our joints, and studies have shown that the imitation sugar is chemical laden and can assist in maintaining "the sweet tooth" and other things, However, I think its up you to decide what works to get you to the place you want to be - even if it's one little step at a time.
    Tea contains a couple thousand chemicals, just saying...
  • sheldonz42
    sheldonz42 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I agree that what is best for our bodies is the organic, chemical free way, but for some, its too much of a change all at once, or is not feasible for whatever reason.

There is, quite simply, no such thing as "chemical free" unless you ingest nothing. And by "nothing," I really mean NOTHING. No air, no water, nothing. _Everything_ is made of chemicals.
  • mortuseon
    mortuseon Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Another thread full of chemophobia :grumble: If it helps you meet your calorie goals, it's fine. Everything in moderation, but there has been no decent evidence to suggest that artificial sweeteners currently approved for sale i.e. those in Mio are at all dangerous for you (you will stumble across some dodgy 'all natural' websites purporting that it is the case, but those tend to be people with no idea what they are talking about). The likelihood is that (unless it's particularly acidic), Mio will be a bit better for you as it's less likely to have the horrendous effect that carbonated drinks can have on your teeth.
  • mortuseon
    mortuseon Posts: 579 Member
    Options

Thank you,
    A science teacher

thank you for existing
  • 1capybara
    1capybara Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    There's nothing more refreshing than lemon juice and water. :drinker:
    another thing 2 try:
    apple + blackberry juice or concentrate,no sugar added, 1 oz
    fill the rest of the bottle with water
    yumm!