no will power what so ever

Options
13»

Replies

• koos22
    koos22 Posts: 22
    Options
    Foods that are high in sugar/transfats/empty carbs are literally addicting.

Here is what BBC Science says:
    "Eating too much sugar can lead to unhealthy eating patterns. Sugar can be a mood-booster as it prompts the body to release the 'happy hormone' serotonin into the blood stream.

The instant 'lift' we get from sugar is one of the reasons we turn to it at times of celebration or when we crave comfort and reward.

However, the pleasant sugar rush triggers an increase in insulin as the body strives to bring blood glucose levels back to normal. This has the knock-on effect of causing a 'sugar crash' and makes many crave yet more sugar, which can lead to a cycle of binge-eating."

I have a major sweet tooth, too! But I've found lots of recipes made with Truvia/stevia, are high in protein, and really kill my sweet tooth. Mostly on Instagram :P Don't beat yourself up, but stay honest. If you grab one cookie, you can still stop there- it's never too late to be better :)
  • LVCeltGirl
    Options
    Pretty much what everyone else has said. Don't cut it all out at once, but log it regardless. For me, I'm trying hard to log everything, the good, the bad and the ugly (which is the sugar). I'd work on the little things and get a habit going with them and then tackle the big stuff. Also, I have noticed that I think twice about what I'm putting into my mouth knowing that I'm going to log it and that there are people that will see my diary and see what I ate. Some of those people are friends and family who will ask me what I was thinking if I fall back into bad habits. They all have seen how hard it's been to lose the current 23 lbs and how well I've been doing. Finding a support system like that will help you to reach your goals.

The last bit of advice, try finding healthier substitutes for the sugar. Fruit is the obvious thing. If you can find a fruit that satisfies your "sugar" cravings then that's half the battle. I can also satisfy the "sweets" cravings with a square of good dark chocolate. And if you can do it with 1 piece or half a piece then that also will win the battle in a way.

It's all about moderation and unfortunately moderation has a different definition for all of us but this is a lifestyle change and you have to learn what's right for you.

You can do it!!!!
  • Ev_Ah
    Ev_Ah Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm going through the same day I have even started going to the gym each morning before work which but if I don't go I feel bad and I need to get in the habit of not straying but not feeling bad. Honestly eating fried foods doesn't make me feel good anymore I actually feel sick..I've found that have a few french fries will curb the cravings but of course I eat the whole thing..right now I am trying to go cold turkey on Fries they are my weakness.

good luck don't give up one day and one meal at a time.
  • Ev_Ah
    Ev_Ah Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    this is a great idea especially for me I am very busy at work but I find if I am looking forward to a certain meal I eat better throughout so I could splurge a little.
  • Maggie_Pie1
    Maggie_Pie1 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    For me, it was a gradual process. Instead of cutting myself off COMPLETELY, I just started cutting them out slowly. If you have no willpower, don't go cold turkey. IMO you're more likely to binge. Taper them off slowly, don't try to completely deprive yourself.

See, I'm the opposite. I have no willpower, EXCEPT when I go cold turkey. Once I eat a little, I don't have the willpower to stop at 'just a little'. But if I don't have any, then I find it easier to do without.

I also don't keep any of my 'trigger foods', that I can't stop eating after one serving, in the house at all. Things like chips, cookies, ice cream, etc.
  • uconnwinsnc
    uconnwinsnc Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    Finding alternatives to your sugar habit is not going to cure the root of the problem. You need to figure out what is triggering your need for the sugar. Are you anxious? afraid? depressed? bored? Whenever you get a craving for sugar, look around you and consciously think "What am I doing right now and how do I feel?" If you keep asking yourself that question whenever you get a craving, you might be able to find the root of the craving. Sugar is a drug. It triggers the same chemical release in your brain as cocaine. You're addicted to sugar.

Motivation to break a habit has to come from within. You can do it as long as you push yourself. You need to reach a point where you look at yourself and decide that it is time for a change. We cannot change you, only you can change you.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    so i am really trying to log on to my fitness pal every single day. and iam really trying to log all my foods down everyday . each day i wake up determined to have a good day and really want to loose the weight. however i fail every single day and give into sugary unhealthy foods. its like i must have them. i then feel such a failure and guilty that i cant stick to a diet for one day. anyone else been like this and how have you turned a corner to make a permanent change to succeed. thanks for taking the time to read my post.

Throw the ****ty food away. All of it.

Stock your house with healthy food and prepare your own meals. Shop on the perimeter of the grocery store. Do not venture into the middle aisles of processed foods.

Do not even venture into stores/chains that will trigger cheating.

Avoid friends who you know are going to eat badly and drag you down that path.

You need to remove willpower from the equation as much as possible. I did not find any level of success until I did.

Good luck!
  • uconnwinsnc
    uconnwinsnc Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    so i am really trying to log on to my fitness pal every single day. and iam really trying to log all my foods down everyday . each day i wake up determined to have a good day and really want to loose the weight. however i fail every single day and give into sugary unhealthy foods. its like i must have them. i then feel such a failure and guilty that i cant stick to a diet for one day. anyone else been like this and how have you turned a corner to make a permanent change to succeed. thanks for taking the time to read my post.

Throw the ****ty food away. All of it.

Stock your house with healthy food and prepare your own meals. Shop on the perimeter of the grocery store. Do not venture into the middle aisles of processed foods.

Do not even venture into stores/chains that will trigger cheating.

Avoid friends who you know are going to eat badly and drag you down that path.

You need to remove willpower from the equation as much as possible. I did not find any level of success until I did.

Good luck!

"Don't eat anything you see advertised on TV." I don't follow that rule, but some people might actually find it as a fun little challenge for a week or two.
  • Larkart
    Larkart Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'd say keep your food diary private for the first month or so and be brutally honest with yourself. I lied a LOT when I thought my sister and friends were watching. Skip that drama and just do it for yourself at first.

The reminder function on MFP is great! I have it set to remind me to log in foods after breakfast and dinner. It allows me to really be consistent.

Once you have a couple of weeks logged in, you can evaluate and identify problem foods/drinks and indulgent times of day. One consistent rule I've heard is 'don't eat after dinner.' I can't quite do that, so I plan a decent 9 p.m. snack that won't sabotage me. I'm not losing as fast, but I'm losing.

My food was pretty good, so what I really needed to focus on was exercising consistently and enough to sweat for about an hour a day. A trainer helped me with that during the week and workout buddies for really enjoyable leisurely bike rides and hikes on the weekends.

I like the idea of Monday as the reset button. Keep a positive outlook toward your goal and if everything goes kerfluey, start over on a Monday. What I didn't do enough of in the beginning was setting enough intermediate goals or evaluating/recognizing progress as I went along. I keep a private notebook for that.

Good luck! Happy Thanksgiving!
  • Amethyst125
    Amethyst125 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I didn't post the original post but I have the same issues. What is even worse is that I am a nurse and know what this can do because I also have diabetes and high blood presssure. But after a while the cravings are more important.
    Thank you for your suggestion, I will take it and make myself open to others. You may be right this may help.
    Thanks again.
  • FattieBabs
    FattieBabs Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    Logging everything - even the bad stuff has really helped me. If I go over on one day I cut back over the next two to average out . If cake is on offer and I can fit half a slice into my cal allowance I can do it. I preplan quite a few meals and try to keep some cals back for treats. Good luck with MFP and take it slowly. It is more important to find our what triggers the need for the carbs and address it as this will help you long term. My diary is open to friends and I am learning things the hard way so feel free to sen me a friends request.