Losing weight but keeping my curves

Options
2»

Replies

• lisabinco
    lisabinco Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, you cannot spot reduce. If you want to lose fat off of your stomach it can only occur through fat loss which means losing from your entire body. Yes, this includes hips and boobs. In fact, for women hips and boobs are usually the first to go as we like to maintain fat around our mid section.
    This, however, you could still be curvy when you reach your goal weight, just smaller curves.
    Yep. I was narrow-hipped and wide-waisted, proportionately, when I was 50 pounds heavier, and I am now narrow-hipped and wide-waisted, just smaller all around. A 23" waist is just not in my genes.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Your shape is defined by bone structure but also muscle and fat mass distributed throughout the body. You want to reduce fat mass volume while preserving as much muscle mass volume as possible to maintain most of your curves and have a firmer physique. To accomplish this, eat at a moderate calorie deficit, engage in resistance training of adequate frequency, load and volume and consume about 100% of your lean mass (in lbs) of grams of protein.

Yeah, I agree with this.

You are going to get smaller all over, but you can still be curvy, just overall smaller and curvy (as other ladies mentioned). But, maintaining muscle mass is what will keep everything round and lifted, so it doesn't droop, deflate, flatten. Also, losing weight at a slow steady rate will help with this (not going too quickly).

And as your waist gets smaller, your curves will become even more defined. When you are bigger, you have bigger curves. When you are smaller, you have more defined curves.

Just start working at it now, and when you feel like you are getting too small for your liking, stop and maintain where you are.

You could do Strong Curves bretcontreras.com
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2 and weigh 183 lbs. I know, overweight. I have hips and a but and I want to keep those while getting my tummy flat and my thighs smaller. My boyfriend loves my curves and tells me I'm perfect the way I am but I want him to be able to touch a flat tummy when were cuddling or when we get intimate. I want this for myself, but I REALLY want to impress him.

So what exercises do I do and what food do I eat!?

He is already REALLY impressed by you and tells you this by saying he thinks you are perfect just as you are. Believe him.

An almost instant way to get a flat tummy is to be lying down when you get intimate.

But what fun is that?

OP - listen to what a few have said. If you have curves now (legit curves, not "make me feel better about myself by calling this curvy") you will have curves when you are smaller. And even if you don't, does it matter? Why not just strive for a happy, healthy body and not worry about whether or not your hip-to-waist ratio will be your imagined ideal?

Eat at a moderate calorie deficit, strive to eat nutritious foods most of the time, indulge in treats now and then, do some exercise you like, be patient, and you'll get there.

If you want a short cut though - strength training will help a lot. Body weight is good. Heavy lifting is even better.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    no one knows really
  • RozayJones
    RozayJones Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I had more curves when I was smaller - trying to get back to that.....
  • SpecialSundae
    SpecialSundae Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    Lift progressively heavier weights, eat at a reasonable deficit, don't starve yourself and get enough protein and your butt will be better than ever once you're done.

Breasts are less predictable, unfortunately.
  • trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options
    << lost 28 kg. Still has curves.

If you're actually curvy, then you'll keep them because that's part of your shape. People who claim to be curvy when it's actually extra weight are the ones who end up 'losing their curves'
  • ModernNerd
    ModernNerd Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Just echo-ing what the other ladies said, but yes, thin and curvy are not mutually exclusive. If the genetics are there and your present curves are frame and not excess weight, then you'll be still curvy when the weight comes off! I float around 105-108lbs and I still have a very obvious hourglass figure so don't fret. Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • shaynepoole
    shaynepoole Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    like the other posters say, it is really about your natural body shape. I dropped over 100 lbs and still have same proportions of hips, bust, and butt. Now I just have more of a waist to accentuate them more

I was really hoping to lose some of the bust though -- while my back size shrunk, my cup size didnt
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Here is a website full of people that are thin and curvy: http://www.thinandcurvy.com/
  • AprilMae1975
    Options
    <<<<<
    Three months progress pic and look at how my waist has changed. I have always been very curvy. As the weight comes off I can actually see my curves more defined. I am at 184 right now and I only see my body getting better. Like the other people said it depends on your body. There really isn't a way to determine how you will look after you lose the weight. I'm sure your boyfriend will like the results :)
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    I can 'lose my curves' to a great extent, but that's when I get down to bodyfat levels that are more ambitious than I ever go for now. I mean when you are looking at all muscle, basically. I do like that curve from the waist to the hips, and mine will go away at a low enough weight. It's really fat, apparently, but no matter - I like it :) My waist-to-high-hip section is much more straight up and down when it's only muscle.

But fear of losing weight at all? No, that's not what curves are about, imho. There may be increments that throw your proportions off, but they catch up at a new lower weight. For me it's like it goes in stages. If I don't like the relatively odd proportions at one stage, I go lower... or even higher if necessary. I know when I get to goal, I may prefer to put back on 5 lbs. There's a lot of fun in that, so no problem ;)
  • BossLadyDSimp
    BossLadyDSimp Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I wanted to same thing! When i started to lose my thighs I was so hurt. What I have found is that even though I am losing weight in those areas, I am losing weight EVERYWHERE. Everything is getting smaller so my thighs and my butt are still big compared to the rest of my body. Now I just have a smaller tummy which is what I wanted.

I still do squats like crazy which I enjoy. I read an article that made sense to me. It said that although we may like our lower half we haven't even begun to see the butt that we have underneath it all. We need to shed the fat on top and then the real butt muscles will show and we can still look curvy and HEALTHY.

Make sense?

50540473.png
  • missdrizz
    missdrizz Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    As all of the above, you can't spot reduce.

However, no matter how much weight I lose, my breasts stay pretty much the same size (I've bounced between a 10E and 8F for the last three years).
    Don't stress, and remember, healthy is sexy.
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    Your shape is defined by bone structure but also muscle and fat mass distributed throughout the body. You want to reduce fat mass volume while preserving as much muscle mass volume as possible to maintain most of your curves and have a firmer physique. To accomplish this, eat at a moderate calorie deficit, engage in resistance training of adequate frequency, load and volume and consume about 100% of your lean mass (in lbs) of grams of protein.

Yeah, I agree with this.

You are going to get smaller all over, but you can still be curvy, just overall smaller and curvy (as other ladies mentioned). But, maintaining muscle mass is what will keep everything round and lifted, so it doesn't droop, deflate, flatten. Also, losing weight at a slow steady rate will help with this (not going too quickly).

And as your waist gets smaller, your curves will become even more defined. When you are bigger, you have bigger curves. When you are smaller, you have more defined curves.

Just start working at it now, and when you feel like you are getting too small for your liking, stop and maintain where you are.

You could do Strong Curves bretcontreras.com

Great minds think alike.... all of this is exactly what I was thinking and you can see by my profile pic that I definitely still have my curves :wink:
  • laurenmaura
    laurenmaura Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I have bigger boobs and a bigger butt! I love them both, but I want them to be more defined. I also want to make my butt look bigger and get rid of cellulite! I want to loose weight but I am so afraid my curves will go away..
  • ladyoflb
    ladyoflb Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I love this post, because I love my curves too. I've always had big boobs, but they got too big when I was too big, losing a bit of them has really made me happy, (the hubs, not so much, but he can just deal) Bottom line: they love us no matter what, do it for you (which it sounds like you are) and you will still keep your curves if you lose the weight.

Don't forget to squat! That'll keep your booty nice and round:)

P.S. The hips just look better without the fat, a real hour glass shape!