I hate the gym!

Options
2»

Replies

• waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    'Eh, the flipside to this is that is a failure in goalmaking.

You make the assumption it seems that in the long view goals cease to be relevant, therefore tools only used to reach short term goals should be discarded.

Whereas the thing that most makes one successful long term is the consistency of having goals (they don't need to always be the same goals), moving forward toward reaching those goals. The tools can change with the goals. The challenge of reaching a goal, the game of fitness (working toward a goal using a strategy is a game), is itself enjoyable.

Whereas doing P90X as a lifetime fitness plan isn't a good strategy (though a certain member of the US House seems to think it is); deciding that you'd like to shake up your getting stale routine by dominating the P90X program for the next 90 days before coming up with a new routine is absolutely a good strategy for many long term goals.

Goals cease to be relevant? Absolutely not. Quite the opposite, in fact.

Goals have to have the long term in mind. Too often people look for the quick fix and then don't think about what to do after the quick fix. Someone who ups and decides to lose a bunch of weight with P90x but doesn't think about how they're going to maintain that weight loss is setting themselves up for regaining that weight.

The entire point of my post is to look beyond the quick fixes like workout DVDs and imagine what you will be doing to maintain your success and achieve your long-term goals after you're done with the quick fix. Now skip the quick fix and start doing that stuff now.

Again, goals are the problem. Using a tool as a quick fix and not thinking about what to do beyond that quick fix is a goalmaking failure, not a failure of the tool.

By discarding workout DVD's with a wave of the hand you are missing some enormously successful people out there. Sure doing one program over and over isn't the answer, but there are plenty of people with big collections of programs that mix and match at times, do single programs at times, include non-video workouts, etc... and use them as part of a very good fitness plan.

For someone that has 30-60 minutes a day, 7 days a week, that has to be home during that time (moms with young kids....), or for somebody that doesn't like or can't afford the gym, videos are a very good option.

Exercise and fitness is very much an acquired taste. Couch potatoes certainly don't try running and think "gee this is really fun". Heck no. But if they stick with it for a while, many do come to find that they do in fact enjoy running. The same can be said for almost every form of exercise. Most people starting out really have no idea of what types exercise they would and wouldn't enjoy.
  • _EndGame_
    _EndGame_ Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    When I started at my gym, I was kind of nervous, wouldn't say intimidated, but after a while it became the norm.

My gym membership also includes the swimming pool and steam/sauna room, now I find I use the swimming pool ALOT more than the gym. So perhaps you could try swimming if you have a facility nearby? Most of my weight loss (exercise wise) has come from swimming!
  • rabblerabble
    rabblerabble Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Virtually no one at the gym is looking around and thinking "hey that person is sure taking it easy on the cardio equipment" or "they are sure not lifting very much". Everyone is into their own workout and not paying attention to others. By all means DON"T skip going to the gym because you think others may be judging you.
  • trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options
    I quit the gym last week. Realised I hadn't been since July and in that time I'd dropped weight, toned up, and got fit without going.

I walk, do some muscle work myself, and do some netball.

The gym has it's place, I simply no longer need it to be fit.
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    No shame in your game, get in there!
  • cvanicek
    cvanicek Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I was NEVER a "class" person...I always went to the gym and did my own thing. Taking classes with other people intimidated me! But then I sucked it up and tried a class...and now I LOVE taking classes! I'm not extremely coordinated but I've managed to figure out step class and love it :) Everyone is there for the same reason - and should not be judging others!:smile:
  • RonnieLodge
    RonnieLodge Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Anyone have any suggestions on good workout videos I can do at home? The gym intimidates me. So many people running on treadmills and lifting while I'm trying to walk 3+ mph for 1 hr without dying.

I hate the gym too. Used to go there for 45mins 5 x a week and watch tv, listen to music and read magazines while working out to try and distract myself.

Chucked it earlier this year in favour of doing the Jillian Michael's workouts (Ripped in 30, 30 Day Shred, 6 pack in 6 weeks, No More Trouble Zones) - they are 30-60mins long and can be found on Youtube.

Now I do 20-30mins of focused exercise 5-6 x a week.

I am enjoying saving time, money, getting to work out in my underpants, not having to carry around sweaty gym gear and looking better than I did when going to the gym!

I totally agree the most important thing is to find something you enjoy doing.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    I do have a DVD library, and many of the titles are years and years old :) I think being able to pop in a workout in your own cozy home is a wonderful thing, and you can put one in that matches your mood. Recently I've really been into 2 different belly dance choreographies, so that's my aerobics after lifting. Believe me, jogging is not nearly as fun for me as learning a great dance to great music :)

But to suggest something, I always wonder what the person wants out of a workout. I mean there are ten million ones you could do, lol. What sort of thing do you think you'd enjoy?

Edit: May as well give examples :) Maybe someone can tell me exactly how this dancer is lifting herself in the first move, lol! All glutes and quads? I've been working on that for ages. Then I skip to the fast part of the dance, because I'm at home and can do that!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTDfLK2qvuA

The DVD to learn that dance includes like 3-4 other dancers instructing for theirs. All very cool. You might like it! Pick up a beginner bellydance DVD to learn the basics first, and you're set :) The other choreo I love right now is Ansuya's 'Istanbul Nights'.
  • NavyKnightAh13
    NavyKnightAh13 Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    I admit, I still get that way and I have belonged to a gym almost a year. why? Mostly because I get intimidated by the high school athlete and or the ladies that look amazing that can run faster then me or that lift.

But I don't let that stop me from going. Why? Well I have to get over it somehow, and I know that I am doing it for me. I still get butterflies going into the dance studio at college because i know i am the biggest girl in the room especially since I still have a tummy that isn't flat (see profile pic) but I can go in proudly knowing that even at 25 years of age, I can dance rather well and am pursuing a dance minor.

As far as the at home work outs, yes they do wonders for those that must stay at home full time (kiddos, work, whatever may be the case) and the one that I like has been Insanity. I tried doing JM but it never kept my interest.

Moral of the story: find what interests you: for me it's running, weight lifting, Insanity, and dance. Seems like a lot, but I don't do it all at once, I alternate so Monday it was dance class (I'm in Modern dance this semester) and insanity, yesterday was running and full body weight lifting. (the running was in between the weight lifting). Do what makes you happy.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    Anyone have any suggestions on good workout videos I can do at home? The gym intimidates me. So many people running on treadmills and lifting while I'm trying to walk 3+ mph for 1 hr without dying.

don't worry about what other people are thinking! When I walked into my gym almost 2 years ago, I was almost 100lbs overweight. I was intimidated by everyone there, and was almost scared to even talk to staff. But you know what? The staff noticed me, and noticed my dedication, and they TOLD me they noticed. And every once in a while, random other gym members would come up to me and tell me they had noticed my body changing in good ways. All this was going on while I was struggling to walk 2.5mph for 30 minutes.

In the last 2 years, that trainer who noticed how dedicated I was 2 years ago has become one of my very close friends. He's been to my house, and we text regularly. The fitness attendant who also noticed...he's my "gym brother". Another trainer, I just made 2 baby blankets for his baby due in March.
  • MisterDerpington
    MisterDerpington Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Everyone is intimidated when they're first starting at the gym. You need to stick with it. 3-4 years ago, I was afraid of walking next to someone on a treadmill. I had a hard time getting up from the benches after lying down on them (I still do, but now I know how to use the bar to help myself up). I'm unfit again, but I'm not afraid of the gym because it's been a part of my life for a while. The only way to get over intimidation is to build a bridge and get over it.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I caution people to avoid the "temporary trap."

What this means is that to achieve long term success, you need to take a long term view.

I know a lot of people who are in fantastic shape. I know a lot of people who used to be fat and are now in fantastic shape. I know a lot of people who used to be fat and have maintained fantastic shape for years. I also know a lot of people who are not in fantastic shape, despite attempts to get into fantastic shape. Some of those people have achieved fantastic shape but regressed.

Let me tell you something every single one people who have maintained good shape for years all have in common that the people who have failed do not share: none of them started with a temporary plan. None of them. Not one. None of them did P90x, none of them signed up for a gym and went there to run on a treadmill for an hour three times a week. None of them stocked up on Jillian Michaels DVDs. Literally none of them.

That's because those things suck. They're boring. No one plans on doing workout DVDs in their living room for the rest of their lives. No one plans on running on a treadmill four hours a week for the rest of their lives.

No, the successful people all do active things that they genuinely enjoy. Some run because they love running. I hate running. I enjoy tennis and racquetball and lifting weights. Some play frisbee with their dogs. Some just walk on their lunch breaks because they like getting out of the office. Some joined a local recreational Ultimate league. Some have taken up martial arts.

It doesn't matter what you do, to a certain extent. Resistance training/weightlifting is something everyone should do, but that's kind of a different story. The point I'm trying to get across is that if you look at this as "I will do activity X that I don't enjoy for a certain period of time until I lose weight and then life will be rainbows and unicorns forever" then you will probably fail. That's the short-term view. Once you're done making yourself miserable with activity X you will go back to your old ways and go back to looking like your old self.

Take the long-term view. Find things you enjoy. Find things you enjoy.

applause.gif
  • Any nice parks around your home? Start walking. A couple of weeks later, walk faster and faster and faster... If you have some extra pounds, start eating a bit healthier and add some cardio to your lifestyle. After a while, you'll feel a lot better and you can start some weight training as well. Your stamina will be way higher and you'll be able to do some more fun cardio like jumping jacks.
    Youtube everything! You'll make the ideal workout for yourself :D
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    1. Any movement is better than none at all. If you don't like the gym, there are plenty of options. Walking, running, etc. Honestly, if you are intimidated at the gym, most of the videos will be too intense for your current level of fitness, especially insanity, etc.

2. Don't worry about what others "think" at the gym. Honestly, unless, you are sitting on a recumbent bicycle, reading a book and pedaling 2 rotations per minute, we probably don't think much about what you are doing at all... and if we do, we are just glad that you are there and doing what you can... If you are the book reader, we sort of know you won't be there long anyway....

3. We all started where you are at... or worse... I was 344 when I started losing weight... got down to 213 and am hovering about 230 right now during the holidays... When I first started, I could not get up to 3 mph.. but I kept trying. After a while, I could do more and some of the guys at the gym would mention how much I had accomplished... Yes, OK, they noticed but when I persevered, they also noticed that... In the end, I wound up making some great friends in the process...

4. There are different types of gyms and not all are the same. As one mentioned, the Planet Fitness seems to be a relatively relaxed atmosphere, conducive to non-athletes trying to get fit. At least I have heard that from several sources. I am a member of the YMCA and also another gym in town (that has a cheaper rate but much better hours)... I am no longer intimidated but that was a process.

5. This is about YOU... do what it takes to get healthy and fit. You owe it to yourself.

Best wishes on every success. We are pulling for you.
  • nuttyfamily
    nuttyfamily Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    I run on the treadmills and I don't judge those who walk and tbh, I don't even pay attention much to those around me. I'm usually plugged in thinking about my own thing.
  • CharChary
    CharChary Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Don't pay any attention to anyone else! I certainly don't care what anyone thinks. The gym is all about me and I go there to get my workout in and leave. I also go to Planet Fitness and had a wonderful experience. There are all different kinds of people that go. Different body shapes, different fitness levels, etc. Nothing to be ashamed of.
  • Kiayaxo
    Kiayaxo Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    30 day shred and insanity got me good results and have me the fitness levels and confidence to hit the gym without fear. Give it a go abc try not let things stand in your way, good luck