Doing everything right - my skin looks like cr*p!

Options

Replies

• MsJulielicious
    MsJulielicious Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Hormonal issue: It presents like that's the issue, but I'm on a birth control pill that is supposed to be helpful for preventing breakouts.

Dry skin: I don't use a lot of products on my skin. Just the face wash after working out (which I started after the problem began) then a light moisturiser with some added almond oil. I wear make up for work, but not loads, and it hasn't changed recently.

I'm just a freak, clearly!
    [/quote
    I was on ortho tricyclen lo for a year. It's supposed to help your skin so I didn't think that could possibly be causing the horrible acne I was getting.
    The minute I switched to a different form my skin cleared right up
  • CorlissaEats
    CorlissaEats Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I read once that breakouts around the chin and mouth are related to hormone imbalance. Talk to your doc or ND? The added exercise might have disrupted something.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Not a smoker correct? Cause youre right your fats look good.

I would talk to a dermatologist the one product shown to consistently turn over skin cells is retinol or retine-A ( might be spelling it wrong). Along with some of the acids like alpha hydroxy. A little extra vitamin E especially found in oils like sunflower or peanut, and of course water and fruit (vitamin A & C).
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Same thing happened to me and my dermatologist recommended aloe. Not the kind you buy at the drugstore, but the actual gel from inside the plant. I have used it for about two months now, and my skin is flawless. I wash with Dove soap, and then dab on the gel all over, in place of moisturizer. My skin feels hydrated and no more bumps or dry patches from the stuff I was using before.

i like aleo too i buy a big bottle of pure aloe gel mixed w/ citric acid for preservative. I'm not consistent though :grumble:
  • gracielynn1011
    gracielynn1011 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    May need to check your make up. For some reason, I new can not use foundation without breaking out. I can use a tinted powder, but nothing heavier than that.
  • fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    I used to suffer from dry skin too. Used to buy the expensive creams from France and Switzerland. Until I switched to a low carb, high fat diet. 10% carbs, 20% protein, 70% fat. Not only am I losing weight, The skin on my face cleared up and now feels like a baby's butt. I seldom use creams anymore - in fact I use them sometimes cause I miss their perfumed smell.
  • 4theking
    4theking Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    How has weight loss been since being on the birth control. It can and will slow metabolism. When metabolism gets slowed, one of the first things to go is the blood supply to the skin which will result in acne and dry skin. The body just does not have enough energy to take care of everything so it works from the inside out.
  • nohaynicknamesdisponibles
    Options
    I do wash my face with an antibacterial face wash once I've cooled down after my morning workout.

Help me please.

Yes, you probably should go and see your dermatologist because in my opinion this is coming from your antibacterial face wash.
  • TigerBite
    TigerBite Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Have you changed your diet to include more acid/citrus fruits ... citrus and acidic fruits (pineapples, oranges, kiwis, etc.) can irritate your skin and cause a reaction ... I know from personal experience, I break out with what look of like pimples (though, they never come to a head), they are painful and red, kind of like cystic acne, all around my mouth, if I eat too much citrus ...
  • kdjfalkj
    kdjfalkj Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Some all natural cold cream sounds like something that might help. For most people it works as a cleanser & moisturizer all in one and is great for removing makeup. Etsy has a really nice selection of cold creams, if you want to take a look.

Or you could do what I do and just use homemade finely ground oatmeal as a daily cleanser. It removes dirt and excess oil on the skin's surface without disrupting the pH balance like soap does. I've been using this for months & my skin has never been clearer. Charliex2202 is quite right, sometimes it's best to just let your skin take care of itself for the most part. :)
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Try washing with an antibacterial wash BEFORE you work out. Doing it after is kind of like closing the barn door once the horse has bolted. :smile:
  • sassysmom35
    sassysmom35 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I have this exact same problem...I could've written your post. I've lost 20 lbs and for the past 6 weeks I keep breaking out right around my mouth only, mostly on the right side. Its very painful...it will start to clear up then bam there it is again. I don't know what to do. I tried a cold sore medicine and that does seem to help some but when I quit using it it comes right back. I never and I mean never have had acne or skin problems, not even as a teenager (I am now 35). I have noticed however that since ive started losing weight that my monthly cycles have gone a bit wonky as well. I thought weight loss was supposed to regulate hormones, not screw them more up than they already were. My infertility dr recommended a weight loss of 20% to normalize hormones and increase fertility. Ha! That is so not happening. I am worse now than ever. I hate this and don't know what to do to fix it. If you figure something out let me know.
  • rosemary98
    Options
    also...maybe irrelevant...but clean your cell and work phone with alcohol wipes.
  • 4theking
    4theking Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    @sassysmom If you are interested, I will try to help you with your hormonal problems. PM me if you would like to.

Jason
  • coral_b
    coral_b Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    A few things; Do you exercise out doors? Sometimes going from cold/wind to warm indoors can cause break outs.
    Secondly- be mindful of how much you're touching your face during a work out, quite often if you're sweating, or feel hot you can touch your face more which will spread any bacteria.
    Good fats, too as stated.
    Sounds ridiculous, but try NOT using many face products, Wash lightly with a warm wash-cloth (no chemicals), and repeat a few times after rinsing if you wear make-up. finish with a good quality moisturiser. If you wear make-up then make sure brushes are cleaned or replaced.
    My B/C pill actually made my skin worse, and along with sweating during workouts I've figured the above help loads. Good luck!
  • uconnwinsnc
    uconnwinsnc Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    I don't want to sound like a jerk, and this is only meant in a matter of fact thing, but you're 32 years old. When you get into your 30s you're going to notice your skin aging compared to when you were in your 20s. That's just how it works. I would bet that the skin blemishes are more related to age than diet.
  • lulabellarama
    lulabellarama Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the input!
    Though some people seem to have missed some of my posts, or misread them.

It's not an issue with blemishes/aging, it's spots
    It's not primarily caused by my face wash, I started using that after the breakouts began
    I eat plenty of fat

I'm going to try several ideas, primarily using a gentler cleansing routine and upping my water.

To the poster so asked about my weight loss on bc, it's been slow, but I'm only trying to lose vanity pounds so I would expect that. Plus I have pretty regular treat days. My scale is also broken, so I have no idea how much I've lost. I look and feel much better though, breakouts aside :)
  • sabified
    sabified Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    Sorry, OP, I'm no help, I have this issue too... bump for the info!
  • schondell
    schondell Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Keep eating healthy and drinking water. Your skin will clear itself up
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    Are you eating any thing now that you weren't before? Or eating a lot more of it? My daughter breaks out if she eats corn, gluten or dairy and I have another friend who breaks out with just dairy. Even having cream in her coffee with make her break out. Just another angle to think about.