Bored of dieting, cal counting and exercising?

Options
As per the title.

I just cant be bothered to spend hours running anymore, or working out. Or calorie counting. Or worrying if I skip too many meals if it is ok or if I might pass out (I don't have an ED but sometimes I skip meals if I am too tired to eat).

Do you ever get bored? its so much easier to stay in with your partner, a pizza and DVD than to get changed and run around a few laps of the park in the cold and rain for an hour. It is much easier to eat thanksgiving nice foods than a salad....it is so much effort to count all your cals...

Replies

• Nicola1944
    Nicola1944 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I got bored on day 1..... I'm still here 3 years later!!

It's SO much easier to get a takeway than cook, its so much nicer to stay in your nice warm house instead of going to the sweaty gym, its a pain in the *kitten* counting every single calorie.... But if we want something, we HAVE to keep on going... and going, and going, and going!!!!

Keep going, fight through the boredom, keep exercising, keep tracking, keep counting cals and keep getting back on the wagon!!!!

Good luck! :)
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    As per the title.

I just cant be bothered to spend hours running anymore, or working out. Or calorie counting. Or worrying if I skip too many meals if it is ok or if I might pass out (I don't have an ED but sometimes I skip meals if I am too tired to eat).

Do you ever get bored? its so much easier to stay in with your partner, a pizza and DVD than to get changed and run around a few laps of the park in the cold and rain for an hour. It is much easier to eat thanksgiving nice foods than a salad....it is so much effort to count all your cals...

I don't get bored of training, but I do get bored of dieting. This is where something like a diet break can be very useful, both physically and psychologically, and especially so if you are going to a period of depressive disorder (in which case a variation in eating habits, lack of interest and fatigue are part of the symptoms of depression)

If you have a few minutes, have a read of http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/the-full-diet-break.html
  • 1LoveChips
    1LoveChips Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Well... yes!

But the thought of an obesity related death and long hospitalization before that is even less appealing.

And besides... no need to exercise on ALL rainy windy days, plenty of room for cheat days if you're being sensible the other time, stuff your face with Thanksgiving turkey, but also have a nice long walk later in the day.

Most of my exercise is walking my dogs and I'm having a pizza today :smile:

MODERATION!
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    This is why a rest day or "cheat" meal/ or day when it suits you is a good idea. You can't just be full on 100% full steam ahead ALL the time everyday. Do you eat a reasonable amount (not too big a deficit)? Do you have a rest day from exercise once or twice a week? Do you let yourself live a little how you wish you could really live instead of being on this thing where you HAVE to eat/do/suffer/whater all the time? Relax it a bit! Why are you running HOURS?
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Sure. We all do. But the secret to succeeding is to keep doing it no matter how you feel about it.
    However, finding an exercise that you think is fun might help a bit.
  • SkinnyMarni3
    SkinnyMarni3 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I sometimes take breaks in my dieting, I stop couting calories for a few days but make sure i stay kind of reasonable, and try to always exercise at least 3x/week, even if its just a few squats and jumping jacks, or going for a long walk with the dog.
    I just had about a month "break", and I didn't put any weight back on, and I've started seriously again and lost 2.2lbs (1kg) in 3 days just by counting calories again (i have 1550/day) and still exercising.
    I find it easier that way. I just can't be eating right and counting everything i eat 24/7. Just make sure exercise is always part of your routine. At least that's what worked for me, you have to find what works for you!
    Best of luck with your goals :)
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    I don't get bored of training at all because I love the activities I've chosen. They are fun and progressive and allow me to get out of the house. I love my workout almost more than anything else in my day. Hiking is especially dear to my heart and is even somewhat spiritual for me.:smile:

I don't get bored of dieting because I don't diet per se. I have a way that I eat that has become a habit for me. I don't like a lot of grains or sugars now and at this point I get somewhat ill when I eat too much of them so I just don't. I practice intuitive eating (per Intuitive Eating by Evelyn Tribole and Elyse Resch) when I want to maintain and I maintain perfectly fine with no calorie counting at all.
  • 2essie
    2essie Posts: 2,863 Member
    Options
    As someone said (don't know who):-

It is hard dieting and exercising. It is hard being overweight. Pick your HARD!!
  • 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    Hell yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am bored too, Spending hours in the gym every week when my friends are out having fun, Trying to not going out for meals constantly, and just eating WHATEVER!

It is annoying, but then for myself being 5ft 9 and under 10 stone is really good, and people do say I have a lovely figure - So sometimes them compliments keep me going I suppose

But YES - I would rather get a DVD and pizza anyway, then go out in the cold and get over the gym
  • rhondatime2chg
    rhondatime2chg Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    As someone said (don't know who):-

It is hard dieting and exercising. It is hard being overweight. Pick your HARD!!

This!!!
  • gina_nz_
    gina_nz_ Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Yep, but it's better than having overwhelming anxiety not doing anything.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I don't really get bored.

I've learned to love running. I ParkRun each Saturday morning, and am second in the points table at the minute, so that encourages me to keep going (and to train during the week). And I set myself new running challenges. And run with my dogs. In lovely areas like forests and by rivers. So no, that doenst get boring.

My other main fitness activity is dancing, and I NEVER get bored of dancing! I can't imagine my life without it <shudder>

Diet wise - I like to experiment in the kitchen. I love trying new recipes - the Hairy Dieters cookbook is great, as is Gok's Wok

Recording the calories - meh, I've done it so much now that it's just a habit, doesn't take too long. If I forget to record something it's not the end of the world.
  • MzzFaith
    MzzFaith Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Yep, but look at it positive, just count the calories, not the burn.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    No :-D
    Been here a year and a half, this is working for me and nothing ever has before so I'm a happy bunny :)
    now don't get me wrong some days I just don't want to log my food, but I do it, it takes 2 mins and I still feel I can't do without logging that...maybe one day :)
    As for working out....since I started working out 5 days/week in January this year I've never looked back and I'm feeling a 100 times better as well as looking pretty darn good as well - its all worth it :-D

p.s I don't DO dieting!! nothing is forbidden in my food list, but I always stay under my daily allowance..but thats easy when you're eating at 1400-1600/day anyway.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Just eat at a mild deficit and do some kind of physical activity that you enjoy. The fat will fall off without you noticing the struggle as you're having too much fun. My current preference is tennis. I can play for hours on a summer's day. And I enjoy it so much that even when it's cold and miserable (but dry) I'll still play until I can barely walk.
  • FarAway02
    Options
    Sometimes. With regards to eating the trick is planning and preparation..

Make sure you always have ready prepared meals that you can defrost and eat whenever you get in etc...tends to stop that impulse of eating something crappy just because you can't be bothered to cook.

A break won't kill you though, sometimes we all need to fall off the rails, remember why we were doing what we were doing and come back to it.

Re pizza etc...I'm actually having a pizza/DVD meal etc with my other half tonight, but I opt to MAKE the pizza instead of order one. Sure, it's a higher calorie meal than my having soup or something, but it's fresh ingredients, lots of veg on it, I know it's only got 1.5 spoons of oil in, no added salt, etc etc. If you must eat 'bad' food, eat it right!!

With exercise...that's what I focus on just doing the exercise I enjoy. If I'm at a real low in motivation I just go for a walk, or do some yoga etc...anything that's remotely active that I actually enjoy. Better than sitting on your *kitten* all day!! Don't beat yourself up, we all lose sight of our aims sometimes.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's easier to be a lump.

Lumpiness is comfortable. And the real epidemic is that it is very easy to just stay lumpy.

I chose activities that overall I enjoy and create goals that I enjoy. Moving a weight back and forth is really not that exciting. But being able to lift my body and control it in new ways? bam. pow.

dreadmill for 30 minutes? Not a goal unto itself. But preparation to ride up Mount Ventoux or across Iowa or from Paris to Munich?

Choose goals that make you dream. Meet and exceed them. And yeah, intially you have to fake it to make it. But you get better and then you go places you didn't know you could. Strong habits form succcess.

Or just stay lumpy.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's easier to be a lump.

Lumpiness is comfortable. And the real epidemic is that it is very easy to just stay lumpy.

I chose activities that overall I enjoy and create goals that I enjoy. Moving a weight back and forth is really not that exciting. But being able to lift my body and control it in new ways? bam. pow.

dreadmill for 30 minutes? Not a goal unto itself. But preparation to ride up Mount Ventoux or across Iowa or from Paris to Munich?

Choose goals that make you dream. Meet and exceed them. And yeah, intially you have to fake it to make it. But you get better and then you go places you didn't know you could. Strong habits form succcess.

Or just stay lumpy.

Good post. Not just staying lumpy but worse than that - becoming more lumpy as time passes.
  • losingth3fat
    Options
    girl dont give up or one day youll wake up and look like me!!!!!! i support ya!!!!!!!!!
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Go from being home bound for 2 years because you gained so much weight that you could no longer walk and had to use a computer chair to roll yourself around the house to use the bathroom and get food from the kitchen. At 560 lbs. I was just existing, for over a decade I sank deeper and deeper into depression and severe social phobia until I finally hit rock bottom and spent 3 days in a recliner with a loaded handgun trying to figure out a way to check out without leaving a mess for my family to come home too.... Yeah I find counting calories and exercising now after losing 312 lbs. the easy part. It takes effort but so does breathing and at some point that just becomes second nature because in the big picture I do all these things because it is my life and I am in no hurry now to rush that process.......... Best of Luck