How Can You Stop Evening Hunger

Replies

• jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Whichever of the suggestions you received that you try, just remember the possibility that your total calories are too low. This is easily (IMHO) the number one cause of derailed attempts at effective long-term weight loss. Track consistently, hit your targets, move more, reevaluate progress regularly (every ~6-8 weeks), and tweak accordingly.
    And what would be the side effects of having ur calories too low? besides hunger.....i will be hungry to lose weight if that's what its gonna take.

Lethargy, light-headedness, emotional volatility. Another clue would be if weight loss were too rapid.

Hunger because you *want* to eat more is perfectly acceptable to push through. Hunger because you *need* to eat more *will* lead to problems/non-compliance if ignored.

I forgot the emotional volatility. I definitely suffer from that one as well.

Indeed. "Hangry" is more than just a punchline to a joke.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,329 Member
    eat more protein and good fats.

my calorie goal is similar to yours (1600) and i do pretty well and am never hungry. i also have a tendency to have a HUGE appetite, so me saying i'm not hungry means something :laugh: looking at your diary i can say that i would also be hungry since nothing looks particularly filling IMO

feel free to look at my diary (although the last 2 day have been thanksgivinated) to see what i eat.
    Ur diary is not open.

oops it's open now.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,329 Member
    Whichever of the suggestions you received that you try, just remember the possibility that your total calories are too low. This is easily (IMHO) the number one cause of derailed attempts at effective long-term weight loss. Track consistently, hit your targets, move more, reevaluate progress regularly (every ~6-8 weeks), and tweak accordingly.
    And what would be the side effects of having ur calories too low? besides hunger.....i will be hungry to lose weight if that's what its gonna take.

other side effects are changes in how your skin, hair loss, brittle hair and nails, always cold
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,905 Member
    I'd like to know how you can stop evening hunger! My goal is 1600cals a day and ive eaten 1500already for break, lunch, supper. Doing good YES but hungy and only 100cals left! What am I gonna do? Starve and be miserable? Eat and feel guilty? Go to bed? Fyi, already drank a coffee, chewed gum......
    Eat less in the day and save the calories for the evening.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • VpinkLotus
    VpinkLotus Posts: 849 Member
    Night is the worst for me. I am a huge night snacker. Lately I've been having a lot of flavored teas. Tonight I was still hungry so I had cereal and half a banana. Maybe save some calories specifically for a night snack so you won't feel you are starving.
  • I'm thinking her problem is more like mine tonight.... she's hungry RIGHT NOW. It's all good and well to plan ahead and save calories for nighttime snacks in the FUTURE, but what about NOWWWWW lmao :laugh:

HANGRY!
  • B_TEEN
    B_TEEN Posts: 95 Member
    Drink 32 oz of water and if you are still hungry, eat (responsibly).
  • GingerLolita
    GingerLolita Posts: 738 Member
    The only solution for real hunger: eat. Have something relatively healthy and don't worry too much if you go your calorie allowance, as long as you truly feel hungry, and you're not just bored or having a particular craving. I try to eat around 1610/day (to lose 1 pound per week), but I'll let myself eat up to my maintenance calories (2110). I won't go higher than that to avoid weight gain, but if I can't lose for a day, it won't hurt my progress much.

I looked at your diary for today and you have some "light" options in there. I find that if I eat more real, whole foods, I stay fuller longer. I opt for natural peanut butter full of healthy fats and canola oil mayonnaise instead of light.

I also find the best strategy for all meals and snacks is to include lots of fruits and vegetables so that you can eat a generous portion, but also include lots of whole grains and protein to stay full all day into the evening.
  • PEIIslandGirl100
    PEIIslandGirl100 Posts: 62 Member

other side effects are changes in how your skin, hair loss, brittle hair and nails, always cold

Those other side effects sould like hypothyroidism. A disease in which i already have.
  • jofjltncb6

Those other side effects sould like hypothyroidism. A disease in which i already have.

So are you arguing that these aren't also side effects of genuine hunger?
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member

What Jof says. WJS.

All those symptoms can be part of long term under eating or hypothyroidism or a bunch of different things. They aren't part of a differential diagnosis. You can be under eating and have few of them. If you are eating too little, btw, one of the risks is thyroid dysfunction.

To lose weight you do not need to be hungry all the time. You might need to adjust what you eat but 1600 cals of boiled legumes is a metric load of food. Mix and match until you reach a good satisfaction level. Eat if your hungry, adjust your next day.
  • MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,585 Member
    Hi, I had a look at your diary, yeah there are some treats in there, but there's also some good stuff.

Then I looked at your profile. You do weights, my dear; I don't think you're eating enough calories and that's why you're hungry. May I direct you towards Eat More 2 Weigh Less, they have a group on here and a Facebook page. I'm sure you will get some good advice there. :flowerforyou:
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    You could have an 2 egg white omelette (34 cal.) with 1/8 cup of shredded cheddar (45 cals) and a low carb yogurt (60 cal.) for 139 calories. Add a cup of spinach to the omelette for another 10.

Hope you feel satisfied soon --

Every time someone throws away an egg yolk...

...a puppy dies.

Please don't throw away perfectly good egg yolks...

...for the puppies.

I don't like egg yolks. And puppies are cute, but I am not keen for dogs, which puppies end up being. Poor puppies. Now I am wonder if I can freeze egg yolks to make a custard later...... So the puppies can live.
  • MichelleLaree13
    MichelleLaree13 Posts: 865 Member
    I would go for some nice large cup of broth. It has a lot of sodium but is like 5-10 calories. After that I would probably eat a piece of fruit or a huge bowl of strawberries.
  • MichelleLaree13
    MichelleLaree13 Posts: 865 Member
    In response to what to do with extra egg yolks: I bet you could just throw them into about any recipe for pancakes, waffles or baked goods. I would but then again I just throw that kind of stuff together
  • PEIIslandGirl100

No not arguing. I was just saying......
  • jofjltncb6
    You could have an 2 egg white omelette (34 cal.) with 1/8 cup of shredded cheddar (45 cals) and a low carb yogurt (60 cal.) for 139 calories. Add a cup of spinach to the omelette for another 10.

Hope you feel satisfied soon --

Every time someone throws away an egg yolk...

...a puppy dies.

Please don't throw away perfectly good egg yolks...

...for the puppies.

I don't like egg yolks. And puppies are cute, but I am not keen for dogs, which puppies end up being. Poor puppies. Now I am wonder if I can freeze egg yolks to make a custard later...... So the puppies can live.

I should have been more specific. Every time someone throws away an egg yolk just to save calories...

I don't think it happens if you throw away an egg yolk because you don't like them...

...hypothetically speaking, of course, since everyone likes egg yolks because they are delicious...so if you don't like them, you're obviously an alien. Do aliens even like puppies?
  • jofjltncb6

So are you saying that these aren't also side effects of genuine hunger?
  • MrsGreenhill1005
    MrsGreenhill1005 Posts: 12 Member
    Drink...

Water and wait 20 minutes..:. You won't need to after that!
  • PEIIslandGirl100

So are you saying that these aren't also side effects of genuine hunger?
    No. Geez. Do u want an argument or something..... Cuz I can argue about something if u want. Lol