Weight lifting... where do I start?

Options
Hey guys! I just got a gym membership and I want to start lifting weights, but I don't know where to start! Anyone have any pointers as to what equipment I should use and how many reps and how much weight I should use?
I have two 5lb weights at home that I use every second day for my arms, and other strength training is just pilates... I would appreciate any guidance! :)

Replies

• Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Look into Starting strength (ss) its a book and really worth it, will teach you the basic compound moves and explain proper form.

Also stronglifts, it's free and you can find it simply by googling SL 5x5
    of great videos on you tube as well

There is also NROL (new rules of lifting) which you can look into is another good book
  • knightreader
    knightreader Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    what she said.
  • JustYandy
    JustYandy Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I got a personal trainer when I first became a member at a gym.
    She had me doing alot of things I cant explain most of them could only show you since it's not possible here's a idea of one:
    She had me start on a light weight like this 5lb weight 15reps...,10lb weight 12reps....,15lb weight 10 reps...,20lb 8 reps...
    or drills like grab a weight you're comfortable with mine was 10 lbs and do lunges forward and backwards.....if you can and you're not shy ask someone at the gym who do lift...it's difficult to explain online...good luck
  • moeisreal
    Options
    just go in..play around.. talk to people ask for help/advice at your gym. Youll get the hang of everything, the most important thing is form !
  • _TastySnoBalls_
    _TastySnoBalls_ Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend stronglifts 5x5 cause you only have to master 5 moves vs messing around with several machines and figuring out how to work them. Does your gym offer body pump by any chance? That's a good beginner class that will help you learn proper form, assuming there is a good instructor.... Though it won't allow you to progress to heavy weights.
  • FintanMcBride
    FintanMcBride Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Starting Strength, Stronglifts or Bill Starr. Master the basics before you attempt to progress.
  • MisterDerpington
    MisterDerpington Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Look into Starting strength (ss) its a book and really worth it, will teach you the basic compound moves and explain proper form.

Also stronglifts, it's free and you can find it simply by googling SL 5x5
    of great videos on you tube as well

There is also NROL (new rules of lifting) which you can look into is another good book
    '

Dat picture makes your suggestion carry a lot more validity. :o
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    I echo the above resources since they all more or less focus on a few multi-joint exercises which work almost all muscles of the body. Your main exercises should be: barbell squats, deadlifts, chest press, overhead press and pull ups (or lat pulldowns) - I'd even add lunges in that list, too. You can add a few accessory exercises to target isolated muscle groups. But all those mentioned will provide an excellent starting point. Mark Rippetoe is the author of Starting Strength and is a very good instructor with a deep knowledge in biomechanics. You can youtube 'Mark Rippetoe deadlift' or squats since he has many videos breaking down how to do these very beneficial exercises.
  • jb72908
    Options
    I echo the above resources since they all more or less focus on a few multi-joint exercises which work almost all muscles of the body. Your main exercises should be: barbell squats, deadlifts, chest press, overhead press and pull ups (or lat pulldowns) - I'd even add lunges in that list, too. You can add a few accessory exercises to target isolated muscle groups. But all those mentioned will provide an excellent starting point. Mark Rippetoe is the author of Starting Strength and is a very good instructor with a deep knowledge in biomechanics. You can youtube 'Mark Rippetoe deadlift' or squats since he has many videos breaking down how to do these very beneficial exercises.

I don't like the idea of suggesting squats and deadlifts for beginners because it is so easy to hurt yourself if you do not do those correctly. I still have problems with my lower back from injuring it squatting years ago. I would focus on very easy routines as a beginner. Over time you can build up. I have always gone too fast and done too much for me and then ended up hurting myself or I did not know how to do the move correctly even though I did read about form.

Getting a personal trainer a few times at first just to learn form is my advice because there are so many components to a move and often little things wrong in your form can get you injured. A few hours would not cost very much.
  • rgugs13
    rgugs13 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    +1 to getting a trainer to learn proper techniques.

If you've only ever used light weights (5 pounds is light), then you really risk hurting yourself immediately jumping up heavier weights. I did power lifting in high school, and proper form was a huge part of the competitions we competed in. Watching people use poor form, especially for squats and deadlifts is painful to watch, because they are destroying their knees and backs. Having a mirror to practice form is a good tool. We also had some 2x4s to put under our toes during squats to practice keeping weight in the heels. You should be able to wiggle your toes when you squat.

A trainer can also help you get comfortable in the free weight area, and teach you basic weight room courtesies like putting your dumbbells back in order, securing plates on the bar, and not cleaning your weights off the bar when you are done. It also helps to have a spotter while you figure out what weight to start with for lifts. You really should have a spotter for most lifts, but any time you are under the bar, like for chest presses, it is especially important!

It is also important to not do too much too soon. I did that way too much in high school trying to max out and set PR's, and sometimes I could barely walk, another time I over did my triceps and couldn't put my seatbelt on without using both hands, and in college I overdid it on a rock climbing wall and could barely hold a pencil to take notes for class because of my forearms! Slow and steady wins the race! It is amazing what 10 years teaches a person! :D

Good Luck!

Rachel
  • padams2359
    padams2359 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • SarahJayRigdon
    SarahJayRigdon Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Do Jamie Eason's LiveFit program. It's free on bodybuilding.com and you just print out that day's lifting plan and bring it with you to the gym.
  • minuz5
    minuz5 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Hey guys! I just got a gym membership and I want to start lifting weights, but I don't know where to start! Anyone have any pointers as to what equipment I should use and how many reps and how much weight I should use?
    I have two 5lb weights at home that I use every second day for my arms, and other strength training is just pilates... I would appreciate any guidance! :)

Start at the gym! :)

Then, compound exercises with heavy weights and low reps 4-6 reps for 3-4 sets.
    This seems to work really well for beginners who want to develop muscles :)
  • pavrg
    pavrg Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I don't like the idea of suggesting squats and deadlifts for beginners because it is so easy to hurt yourself if you do not do those correctly. I still have problems with my lower back from injuring it squatting years ago. I would focus on very easy routines as a beginner. Over time you can build up. I have always gone too fast and done too much for me and then ended up hurting myself or I did not know how to do the move correctly even though I did read about form.

So at what point does doing other weightlifting exercises imbue one with the ability to perfectly perform a squat or deadlift? I'm especially wondering because I lifted several years ago and did not do a single squat (leg press machine) or deadlift (just didn't do it). Lo and behold, I sucked at those exercises when incorporating them into my routine when I started lifting again, despite having good form on all my other lifts.

The only way to get good at form is to practice. Don't avoid an exercise altogether because you're a 'beginner,' just do it in a way that is safe (light weight first session to master the form, small progressive increments instead of just loading up the bar hte next session, etc).
    She had me start on a light weight like this 5lb weight 15reps...,10lb weight 12reps....,15lb weight 10 reps...,20lb 8 reps...
    *facepalm*

This is why a lot of PTs are a complete waste of money. Doing 15 reps for weight training is practically useless for the intended purpose of the exercise, which is to build strength.
    Hey guys! I just got a gym membership and I want to start lifting weights, but I don't know where to start!
    I will also plug a beginner's book like starting strength or strong lifts.

Whichever you choose, write down the exercises you want to do. Look up videos of them on youtube so you have a general idea of the motion. Then, find a friend who weight lifts, and ask him to show you how to do those exercises using a broomstick or something lying around the house. The point is to get the form before you go into the weight room, which will build some confidence. Next, use/pay for a day pass and ask him to show you all of those exercises with the 45 lb barbell and maybe some 5-10 lb weights added on if you can handle it.

If you don't have a friend who can do that, then you can consider forking over $100 for a PT. But still go there with the routine in hand and tell them you specifically want help getting started on that routine. If they start guiding you toward 5 lb dumbbells and high rep sets, tell them you no longer require their services and demand your money back.

It's not that difficult, but I won't lie: I would have never started lifting had I not had a friend to show me the ropes. And it definitely took more than 1 session to figure out when to increase weight, when to deload, and when my muscles were going to fail.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options

I don't like the idea of suggesting squats and deadlifts for beginners because it is so easy to hurt yourself if you do not do those correctly.

I will never understand this logic. How is someone supposed to learn squats and deadlifts by not doing them? No one is suggesting to start with a loaded bar of 45s. All of the programs mentioned have you starting with an empty barbell and progressing from there.
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Be careful, the most time wasting thing a newbie can do is try to mix and match exercise they like, or just follow any given program that promises results (*cough*jamie eason*cough*).

The best strength programs out there for beginners are based on the 4 fundamental compound (multi-joint) movements: bench, squat, deadlift, overhead press. The most basic, and well establish programs I know of for these are Starting Srength (book with tons of detail) or Stronglifts 5x5 (free online routine, good videos to show form).

Since you're brand new though, I HIGHLY recommend you buy and read New Rules of Lifting for Women. It's a very accessible book with tons of information for women on lifting weight and dieting (does a lot of myth busting too, which is great). I would start here no matter what you endup doing. The exercise routine at the end of the book is good too (though kinda "fluffy", but still good), or you could just go with the ones I mentioned above which are much simpler. Your preference.

If you do this, you will be off to a great start. Let us know how it goes!
  • BernadetteChurch
    BernadetteChurch Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    As a new member you should be entitiled to a session or two with one of the trainers to talk you through all the equipment and how to use it, and maybe create a program for you. I'd definitely recommend doing that. Then once you have an idea of how it all works and are comfortable you can have a look at some of the programs others have already mentioned.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    I don't think the trainers in my gym know how to squat or deadlift. Sadly, I don't think my gym is unique. On the plus side, the squat rack is always open (except when one of the trainers is having people do push ups there.. ). Anyway, if you want a PT, look for a PT with references and successful clients - as opposed to just taking what's available at your gym.

The most accessible (free, simple, videos, start easy) resource I've seen for beginning strength training is Stronglifts 5x5, which is mentioned many times in this thread for good reason.
  • pavrg
    pavrg Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I agree. I saw a trainer teaching someone to do squats by making him touch his butt to a stool. So far, so good, except the stool was too high and the person squatting was not going parallel or below. She was training him to blow out his knees one day.
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    I agree. I saw a trainer teaching someone to do squats by making him touch his butt to a stool. So far, so good, except the stool was too high and the person squatting was not going parallel or below. She was training him to blow out his knees one day.

Yeah those are called box squats, and they're great for beginners and even for intermediate/advanced lifters who want to do paused work... but the box needs to be the right height and a lot of people miss that point.