You reared your ugly face

Options

Replies

• FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    What were you eating to lose 35 lbs? Do that. The plateau can't and won't last forever. If lifting is new for you, your body is probably retaining extra water.
  • Siansonea
    Siansonea Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    So basically, eating more calories didn't work. Hmmm. Gosh, I wonder what it is then? :huh:

I plateaued when I was eating 1600 calories per day. So - eating less didnt work either. thanks for the condescending attitude though ;)

Oh, that one. Just ignore her rude comments. :smile:

Oh yes, ignore the people who have actually lost weight, by all means. I know no one likes to be told to eat less to lose weight, but to lose weight, you have to eat less. All the bargaining in the world won't change that. Sorry if I can't wrap up that simple concept with a pretty bow, but the truth isn't pretty. All the cardio, "clean eating", strength training, and calorie counting in the world won't result in weight loss unless you also happen to be creating an appropriate calorie deficit. If you aren't losing weight, you haven't done that. Period. So cut some more calories. Couldn't hurt to try it, could it?
  • The physical part of the calculation is the easiest to figure out. The mental and spiritual is the tough side of the equation.

The physical side is calories consumed- calories burned = net calories= weight loss, gain or stay the same.

Inside this equation there are variables the foods I am eating and the activity I am doing.

1. Forget about the BMR equation that is used through out the internet. It is a good starting point for people when they have no knowledge about their body but after you have Data you can do better on your own. You have more data to work with and it is specific to you.
    2. You know for example if we fill in the equation that the foods you have been eating and how much- the activities you have been doing and how much have translated into 0 weight loss the last 30 days? This is more valuable then the general BMR equation that is used. It is better data specific to you.
    3. To get a different result something in this equation will need to change.

You mentioned you are a numbers freak. With the data you have collected you should be able to easily figure it out and the BMR equation is not needed at your stage of the game.
  • LaLa482
    LaLa482 Posts: 82 Member
    Options

You mentioned you are a numbers freak. With the data you have collected you should be able to easily figure it out and the BMR equation is not needed at your stage of the game.

I agree with this statement wholeheartedly.

Use the data from your accurate logging over the last few months and take a look at what has worked and what hasn't and adjust accordingly. TDEE/BMR/NEAT is not always perfect math. Hormones, salt intake, water, new exercises, upping weights, a million other things can play a part. I use a heart rate monitor to measure calories burned AND a scale to measure about 90-95% of my food but I don't put 100% of my trust in either tool so I don't eat back exercise calories. Good luck to you.
  • TheSlorax
    TheSlorax Posts: 2,401 Member
    Options
    So basically, eating more calories didn't work. Hmmm. Gosh, I wonder what it is then? :huh:

I plateaued when I was eating 1600 calories per day. So - eating less didnt work either. thanks for the condescending attitude though ;)

Oh yes, ignore the people who have actually lost weight, by all means. I know no one likes to be told to eat less to lose weight, but to lose weight, you have to eat less. All the bargaining in the world won't change that. Sorry if I can't wrap up that simple concept with a pretty bow, but the truth isn't pretty. All the cardio, "clean eating", strength training, and calorie counting in the world won't result in weight loss unless you also happen to be creating an appropriate calorie deficit. If you aren't losing weight, you haven't done that. Period. So cut some more calories. Couldn't hurt to try it, could it?

Yeah, you're right. I haven't lost any weight at all. You are the expert here.

As you may learn, adherence is a real problem for many people. I would rather see someone on a smaller deficit and making real (even if slow) progress than have them gun for 2lbs per week only to binge/cheat and undo their progress. There is nothing wrong with what OP is doing in having a small deficit, but she clearly needs to adjust and tweak her numbers which is what the advice from knowledgeable and helpful people has been.

"Eat less" is only slightly better automatic advice than "eat more". The concept of weight loss is remarkably simple as you have figured out and keep touting off. However, the practice can be rather complicated. I believe your delivery also needs some serious work (as demonstrated in this thread) and I still have not witnessed you trying to expand your knowledge. Thanks for continuing to be as aggressive and condescending as possible though, at least you are fairly consistent in that.

Eta: and yes, given that OP has not lost weight in all likelihood she does need to "eat less." There is more than one piece to the puzzle though as she has exercise and the calories burned from it to contend with. Oh, and also that adherence thing I mentioned earlier. Not everyone can survive off of mcmuffins and taco bell soft tacos.
  • Sarie_Bronish
    Sarie_Bronish Posts: 255 Member
    Options

As you may learn, adherence is a real problem for many people. I would rather see someone on a smaller deficit and making real (even if slow) progress than have them gun for 2lbs per week only to binge/cheat and undo their progress. There is nothing wrong with what OP is doing in having a small deficit, but she clearly needs to adjust and tweak her numbers which is what the advice from knowledgeable and helpful people has been.

"Eat less" is only slightly better automatic advice than "eat more". The concept of weight loss is remarkably simple as you have figured out and keep touting off. However, the practice can be rather complicated. I believe your delivery also needs some serious work (as demonstrated in this thread) and I still have not witnessed you trying to expand your knowledge. Thanks for continuing to be as aggressive and condescending as possible though, at least you are fairly consistent in that.

Eta: and yes, given that OP has not lost weight in all likelihood she does need to "eat less." There is more than one piece to the puzzle though as she has exercise and the calories burned from it to contend with. Oh, and also that adherence thing I mentioned earlier. Not everyone can survive off of mcmuffins and taco bell soft tacos.

Lol I lost 35 pounds before I stalled out. It was working for months and one day it stopped. nothing had changed that I could really even recognize. lol I ate mcdonalds for the first time in a very very long time yesterday because I was upset over this. yep. I binged. I am not perfect. I just hope to figure it out soon. Thanks for all of your comments though, I really do hope to adjust some numbers and hopefully see a loss again soon. I took today and yesterday off (from working out) because the trainer at the gym told me I couldve "over trained" and freaked my body out... Is that even possible?
  • hilts1969
    hilts1969 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Sorry you are not losing at the moment but rather annoyingly asking for answers on here is not the best thing to do, people seem to have the inability to read what you are writing, some of the posts are quite laughable really it drives me mad
  • TigerBite
    TigerBite Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    When you do the TDEE method, you aren't supposed to eat you exercise calories back ... When you use MFP w/p any of your own adjustments, then you are supposed to eat them back ...

ETA: From what I skimmed, I didn't think this was made clear ...
  • JANETBPRICE
    Options
    Even though it's been a LONG time since I lost enough to plateau, I remember that I did the old shake up. Eating calories like 1200/1800/1000/1000/1800 or some combination, but a big up or down when I did it. I do recall reading somewhere that your body learns to minimize the burn when you do the same thing over and over. Maybe switch up the intensity and/or activity daily? Worth a try! Good luck...and DON'T give up!!

Janet
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    Also, online calculators are not exact science. Every body is different. It's a good starting point but if you are not losing, it seems like eating 100 or so less would be the way to go and see from there. As pp mentioned TDEE -20%, you would not eat back exercise, as it's already calculated into your daily intake.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    Switch to maintenance for a couple of weeks. Your weight will go up a few pounds, most likely, then you'll start dropping when you go back to a deficit.
  • hilts1969
    Options
    So op you have been told to eat more, eat less, eat more then eat less, mix things up a bit, ignore exercise calories, only eat half back, minus a certain percent of TDEE, ignore bmr calculators, avoid starvation mode

write all these down put them in a bag a pick one out and maybe buy a rabbit's foot for good luck
  • GBrady43068
    GBrady43068 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    Although I have not yet hit a plateau (*knocks wood*), I will just say ANECDOTALLY that if you feel like it's "fun" you might find yourself going harder than if it's "work" to you...so maybe after your couple days off, try a different class...Kick boxing, yoga, zumba...something you've never done before, whatever that is for you. Join a pickup basketball league/volleyball/soccer etc etc. Just look for something to do that will be different and novel.

And I will agree that all the different varying advice IS confusing because everyone seems equally convinced of the absolute 150% certainty of their own weight loss approach and they are probably are all right...for THEMselves. But weight loss seems to be all about finding what you can do consistently over and over again and finding some people in your life who can cheer you on as you work your own customized plan.

Good luck. :smile:
  • Siansonea
    Options

Oh, is adherence a problem? Gosh, that’s news to me. :huh:

And you would rather see someone on a smaller deficit making slow progress, and you think THAT’S the solution to adherence. Well, you know what happens when you have a really narrow deficit? You wipe out your margin for error, your “wiggle room”. So you have to be EXACT in your tracking calories, a level of precision that is VERY hard to achieve. And in return you get to lose weight more slowly. And you’re still not eating as much food as you’re used to, so you’re still miserable. And you had to give up all those foods you used to love. Oh, and better get to the gym, so you can eat a measly 200 more calories today! Yeah, not seeing how that’s supposed to motivate people to stick with it, it sounds profoundly disagreeable to me.

Believe it or not, I personally have struggled with adherence myself. Shocking, I know. So I looked at the conventional apocryphal wisdom being bandied about by all and sundry and I thought I’d be realistic and pragmatic this time around. Conventional wisdom dictates that to lose weight I would have to a) begin a rigorous workout regimen to burn those calories!; b) completely overhaul my diet so that I avoided certain foods and started eating other foods, whether I happened to like them or not and c) eat fewer calories overall. Well, I quickly determined that a and b were just not going to happen. If I had all this willpower to spare, I certainly wouldn’t have found myself in need of losing 17 pounds. So, I just did c. And c was all I needed to lose weight. And cue the “you may be skinny but you’re skinny-fat” rhetoric. Whatever. I look hot in my jeans. I don’t give a [REDACTED].
    ”Eat less" is only slightly better automatic advice than "eat more". The concept of weight loss is remarkably simple as you have figured out and keep touting off. However, the practice can be rather complicated. I believe your delivery also needs some serious work (as demonstrated in this thread) and I still have not witnessed you trying to expand your knowledge. Thanks for continuing to be as aggressive and condescending as possible though, at least you are fairly consistent in that.

Ah, so because I’m not a sweet little sugar pie my advice isn’t valid or valuable? You would do well to learn that listening to people because you like what they say and how they say it is a huge trap. You are better served by listening to people who don’t necessarily tell you what you want to hear. Those people will lead you to asking the right questions and finding out what’s actually true. Of course we all love being told that we are just working so hard and we get a gold star and the reason we don’t lose weight is because we’re working TOO hard and we need to reward ourselves a bit with tasty CALORIES! Mmmm! But as attractive as that advice is, it’s counterproductive, unless the goal is simply to get permission to eat more and not to actually lose weight. I mean, you might not lose weight, but you can still tell all your friends that you did EVERYTHING you could, so the fact that you’re still overweight is totally not your fault. Oh, and can I have more pie?

Actually, unless they have a gluten allergy, they can survive off McMuffins and Taco Bell soft tacos. I’d throw in some Vitamin Water Zero, just for health and whatnot, but it’s certainly do-able. Why, people do it all the time, or hadn’t you noticed?

If “adherence” is really the issue of the day, then it seems odd that people aren’t saying the exact same thing I’m always saying. It seems odd to me that when people set out to lose weight, they decide to ask their body to do a lot more activity, adjust to a whole new suite of foods, AND do these things with fewer calories than it’s used to. I wisely decided that since I’m not a paragon of willpower, I’d just ask my body to do the same activity it was used to, with many of the same foods it was used to, but with fewer calories than it was used to. And. It. Worked. My approach isn’t for everyone, some people need to make things a lot more difficult and arduous than they have to be, or they have health issues that require certain dietary restrictions and such.
  • Goal175lbs
    Goal175lbs Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    What is this obsession with having to eat at least BMR level calories? You can eat below your BMR, in fact, you should if live a somewhat sedentary lifestyle. Who made up this rule that you have to stay above your BMR to lose weight? It is not based in science or logic. You all realize that if you eat below your BMR, your body still gets energy to perform basic needs right? It's called from the fat on your *kitten*. Isn't this what we want?
  • hilts1969
    Options
    So you also don't spend your life holding a set of scales, doing lunges and eating celery?
  • Siansonea
    Options
    What is this obsession with having to eat at least BMR level calories? You can eat below your BMR, in fact, you should in you're kind of sedentary. Who made up this rule that you have to stay above your BMR to lose weight? It is not based in science or logic. You all realize that if you eat below your BMR, your body still gets energy to perform basic needs right? It's called from the fat on your *kitten*. Isn't this what we want?

Science? Logic? :noway:

This won't end well. "Everybody knows" that if you eat below your BMR, you'll go into Starvation Mode™ and you'll gain weight even if you eat NOTHING. I read it on the Internet. :huh:
  • Goal175lbs
    Goal175lbs Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Completely and utterly untrue. You still lose weight in starvation mode, muscle weight. ...and you do not go into starvation mode by eating below your BMR. You go into starvation mode by actually starving which is at least below 1000 calories a day. The stuff people believe is insane.
  • hilts1969
    Options
    What is this obsession with having to eat at least BMR level calories? You can eat below your BMR, in fact, you should in you're kind of sedentary. Who made up this rule that you have to stay above your BMR to lose weight? It is not based in science or logic. You all realize that if you eat below your BMR, your body still gets energy to perform basic needs right? It's called from the fat on your *kitten*. Isn't this what we want?

Science? Logic? :noway:

This won't end well. "Everybody knows" that if you eat below your BMR, you'll go into Starvation Mode™ and you'll gain weight even if you eat NOTHING. I read it on the Internet. :huh:

Yet to see a thread where starvation mode isn't mentioned by someone, if something is repeated often enough it becomes a fact for some people
  • fionarama
    fionarama Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    jillian michaels dvd's work for everyone. also her website has loads of helpful info including a very good calorie calculator.