Why gluten-free?

Options

Replies

• mcjabber
    mcjabber Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    If you can eat it and it doesn't bother you, EAT IT. When I eat it, I look pregnant, feel lethargic, and clog toilets. I gave it up before it was super trendy, but my instinct is that this is an issue for a lot of people, since everyone I know who's given it up for the sake of the trend tends to feel better. This could merely be because giving up an ingredient that is in pretty much everything that's packaged FORCES you to have a really clean, unprocessed diet, or just to have better general awareness of what's going into your body, which will obviously make you feel better than your diet of easy-mac. But then again, I'm not one who tries to substitute (in my opinion, gluten free breads usually taste like gravel). If you do substitute with g free alternatives, they tend to be higher in calories and crap than the regular kind, and that's certainly not a path to health.
  • 33Freya
    33Freya Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I read the book "Wheat Belly" and went off wheat for a while, and I dropped 20lbs. When I tried wheat again after being off it for a few months, I discovered that I have no sensitivity what soever to wheat (lucky me).

What I do know about wheat is that it is in many of the high-calorie foods we eat! Crackers, cookies, pies, cream soups, cake, buns, pasta, etc etc etc. Aside from wheat sensitivity, this is a good reason to try a gluten-free diet.

BEWARE of gluten-free products though- they tend to have higher calorie content. The best way to do this is eat a CLEAN diet- all unprocessed/unpackaged foods.
  • fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    I cannot believe the neg talk and outright attacks. Seriously guys. If you don't suffer from allergies, count your lucky stars. But I kindly ask you not to cruelly attack those trying to help others. If you beg to differ and have a valid point with proof, then state it in an educated manner. If anything, it will enhance the validity of the point you are trying to make.

I have three personal observations on this issue:

1)

I see people buying a bevy of gluten-free processed foods in the grocery stores, which I would caution people to avoid eating. If you pick up the boxes and look at their list of ingredients, many times you will see tons of man-made substrates and all sorts of sophisticated chemicals. This advice goes for both gluten-free and non gluten-free processed foods. My advice is to eat REAL food, if it doesn't resemble what it looked like coming from animal or plant sources, then don't buy it, as it will likely cause damage to your health (wether acute or long range).

2)

What I observe in people is varying degrees of food allergies. For example, I know people who will literally die if they ingest a single peanut, while others get mild asthma symptoms after eating a handful of them. I believe that gluten sensitivity can be similar, with some people developing full blown diseases like celiac, and others mild symptoms like a bit of digestive discomfort. I have conducted a test on myself, where I eliminated wheat from my diet, and noticed that digestive discomfort was eliminated. What I did not prove however is whether it was the gluten in the wheat, or something else in the wheat. I would have to redo the experiment with gluten protein (and no wheat) to officially claim gluten sensitivity. The message here is everybody is different - and the more you pay attention to your symptoms, the better off you are attaining optimal health.

3)

I observe a growing amount of literature from doctors who specialize in wheat and gluten sensitivity. I don't think it is a bad thing to keep an open, curious mind, and keep up with the literature. Of course, always keep a sense of critical perspective, and pay attention to any hypothesis that was presented without it being adequately tested via rigorous methods.
  • XLombardX
    XLombardX Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I think when one looks behind a gluten "sensitivity" claim, you'll usually find the claimant has taken advice from a chiropractor, osteopath or other alt-med practitioner. You know, non-evidence based pseudoscience.

My medical doctor diagnosed me with gluten sensitivity.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I think when one looks behind a gluten "sensitivity" claim, you'll usually find the claimant has taken advice from a chiropractor, osteopath or other alt-med practitioner. You know, non-evidence based pseudoscience.

Which is why I used the modifier "usually". :smile:
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

Which is why I used the modifier "usually". :smile:

Agree that the hypochondriacs seem to be swamping the cases of real celiac and allergies. I still don't understand why people think food allergies are trendy but it's been the thing since I was a kid. Self injections aren't sexy.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Gluten..........the new blame child.

^^^^ this

it's much easier for people to blame being overweight on a popularly demonised food, than just say "well I'm fat because I eat too much and I'm not very active".......

noooooo............ it wasn't me, I'm not responsible, it was the wheat!!!!!

I`m not overweight, never have been by more than 30 lbs. I am gluten intolerant, wasn't diagnosed by a chiropractor either. Since some of you think a gluten intolerance is all in our heads or a fad let me fill you in on the delights of what happens when I eat gluten.

It starts off with a rumbling and cramps, progresses to severe cramping and bloating, moves on to either diarrhea or large, foul smelling, oily bowel movements that often contain a lot of mucus and possibly blood. Before I knew what the issue was my guts had gotten so inflamed my abdomen was actually sore to touch. Some lesser side effects are headache, joint pain, sinus pressure, rash, incontinence and anemia. I know it`s just my imagination because I have no science to impress you with but I honestly wouldn't wish it on anyone. If I eat something with gluten in it I'm usually about 3 days feeling like crap before I get back to normal.

The world is not made for the gluten intolerant so getting glutened happens quite often and I pretty much cook everything from scratch because gluten is hidden in just about all processed foods. It's not just looking for wheat on a label but a whole list of other things that contain gluten and if that isn't enough a lot of foods I can eat are processed in plants that process wheat so they've been contaminated. Restaurants have very little grip on the whole issue so eating out is always a gamble.

I hope all of the pompous *kitten* who think it's funny or that we're all hypochondriacs looking for an excuse for something never have experience any of this. If you really want to have a giggle you could come over and spend some time with my granddaughter when she's been accidentally glutened by someone. She's been celiac since birth and you really haven't lived until you've had to try to clean the bottom of a baby who has huge sores because her poop is so toxic it eats the skin off.
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    Why is there a gluten free craze? The only people who benefit from a gluten free diet are people with celiac disease and people who are sensitive to gluten. So why do people who are not in either of those groups think they need to go "gluten-free"?

I never knew how gluten affected me until I totally cut it out of my diet. I never tested positive for gluten during allergy testing nor did I have blatantly obvious symptoms. What I did have was reduced energy level, acid reflux after I ate gluten foods, indigestion, heaviness, and it is a migraine trigger for me.

I resisted cutting out gluten for years because I didn't believe the hype plus the allergist told me I was not reacting to it in tests. Well, I cut it out and man, did it make a difference. I won't go back to it if I can help it. I didn't substitute gluten products with gluten free products either. I just eliminated the entire thing. I do well with brown rice and quinoa.
  • california_peach
    california_peach Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    Because free will
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    I cannot believe the neg talk and outright attacks. Seriously guys. If you don't suffer from allergies, count your lucky stars.

the gripe isn't with people who have genuine allergies. It's with the wheat hating/demonising bandwagon.

I've had allergies. My 3 yr old daughter has allergies whereby she'll vomit the food about 30 mins after eating it then break out in hives, to several different foods.

But there's this whole trend currently whereby all the worlds ills are blamed on wheat and there are a lot of people who think that wheat is harmful to everyone. And also, why just wheat? Allergies can be to pretty much any food. Why aren't they also demonised? It's because it's the current trend to demonise wheat and blame a whole bunch of medical issues including obesity on it just so they can sell a bunch of books to people who'd rather believe they're fat because of wheat than because they eat too much and don't do enough exercise....
  • weinbagel
    weinbagel Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I eat gluten free because I have Hashimotos and I'm also intolerant to gluten. It makes me drowsy, depressed, inflamed, and bloated. I guess maybe people who are not sensitive to gluten want to try it out? Does it bother you that some people are going about their weight loss differently than you?
  • nccarolb
    nccarolb Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    My teenaged son has Celiac disease so I have done a LOT of research on the gluten free diet. I also have a friend who has a gluten allergy but not Celiac. I have to laugh at some of my Facebook friends who have gone "gluten free" for weight loss purposes because they are so woefully ignorant of the foods other than wheat that contain gluten. Join me in a chuckle about the guy who posts constantly about how he is losing weight because he is gluten free yet is a micro brewer who drinks his own product! Grains, like other foods, are healthy in moderation.

Unless you are gluten intolerant or sensitive, of course!
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    because they like spending more money than necessary ? gluten free bread costs $5 a loaf vs $2 for regular.

i also think some people who arent legitimately affected by it do it as a way to mask eating disorders

You can eat meat/veg/fruit

If you want to eat bread/biscuits/cake then buy gluten free products. But they will have more calories/salt/sugar in them.
    i's really not that simple. as some one with wheat sensitivities i can tell you that just cutting out bread/biscuits/cake will not automatically leave you gluten free. flavored coffees, pickles, prepared veggie burgers, sausages, prepped salad dressings, cold cuts, curry powder, most prepared soups etc all contain gluten. cosmetic wise, many lipsticks also contain gluten

that's part of the reason why i think it's hilarious when people with non gluten sensitivities brag about how easy it is to be gluten free but they still use soy sauce, eat regular fries and use flavored coffee beans.

personally i'm ok with the craze because now that's why someone like me who has to eat wheat free has more options. for instance now betty crocker has a separate gluten free facility and they make box mixes just like for the normies :happy:

I beg to disagree...it is really as simple as meat/veg/fruit. They are not processed foods. All natural foods are OK to eat on a gluten free diet.

If you add gluten free processed foods then they will be full of calories, more so then the processed foods that are not gluten free.

Coeliacs disease if diagnosed, is a debilitating illness and can cause serious issues.

If someone wants to eat `clean` meat/veg/fruit/non processed then go for it ..and why not
  • mteague277
    mteague277 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I think the real problem is so many people are eating highly processed gluten foods. If you cut those out and don't replace them with other highly processed foods, you will probably lose weight, feel better, your skin will probably start looking clearer, etc., because highly processed foods are bad for you in general.

*this does not include people who have legitimate allergies or intolerance to gluten, of course.
  • just_Jennie1
    Options

And you know this how?

People with a gluten sensitivity or celiacs have had a blood test done for the antigen that gives them the sensitivity. They're not going on your "non-evidenced based pseudoscience". Blood test is evidence of an intolerance.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    I eat a fairly gluten-free diet, but I don't drop $5 on a loaf of gluten free bread, that's crazy. I just don't eat bread.

Exactly.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options

And you know this how?

People with a gluten sensitivity or celiacs have had a blood test done for the antigen that gives them the sensitivity. They're not going on your "non-evidenced based pseudoscience". Blood test is evidence of an intolerance.

Really? From the NFCA:
    Currently, there are no recommended methods to test for non-celiac gluten sensitivity. Some doctors offer saliva, blood or stool testing. However, these tests have not been validated and are therefore not accepted.
    In NFCA’s webcast, Dr. Guandalini states:
    “As a matter of fact, right now, they are to say that there is absolutely no biological readout that is no way can this diagnosis can be supported by any laboratory investigation. No antibodies in the blood are specific enough, or sensitive enough, for this condition. No antibodies in the stools can be utilized to diagnose or screen for this condition.”

http://www.celiaccentral.org/non-celiac-gluten-sensitivity/testing-and-diagnosis/
  • Keep_The_Laughter
    Keep_The_Laughter Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I cannot believe the neg talk and outright attacks. Seriously guys. If you don't suffer from allergies, count your lucky stars.

the gripe isn't with people who have genuine allergies. It's with the wheat hating/demonising bandwagon.

I've had allergies. My 3 yr old daughter has allergies whereby she'll vomit the food about 30 mins after eating it then break out in hives, to several different foods.

But there's this whole trend currently whereby all the worlds ills are blamed on wheat and there are a lot of people who think that wheat is harmful to everyone. And also, why just wheat? Allergies can be to pretty much any food. Why aren't they also demonised? It's because it's the current trend to demonise wheat and blame a whole bunch of medical issues including obesity on it just so they can sell a bunch of books to people who'd rather believe they're fat because of wheat than because they eat too much and don't do enough exercise....

Who is blaming all these problems on wheat, people trying to sell something? I'm pretty sure this same conversation has occured about paleo, sugar, white flour, red meat, veganism, the raw movement and macrobiotics...etc. People being irritated with the consumerist nature of modern fitness and nutrition is not carte blanch to disregard someone else's reality.

Food intolerance is real, just go look at any reputable medical website or ask a doctor (http://dictionary.webmd.com/terms/food-intolerance). Anaphylaxis is only one extreme in the spectrum of abnormal reactions to food, not the measure of whether a food is appropriate for any one individual to consume.
  • SnicciFit
    SnicciFit Posts: 967 Member
    Options

Not in my case. No doctor could figure out was wrong with me. I took it upon myself to try eliminating gluten (I think the idea came from a family member who's husband had celiacs and she thought my symptoms sounded familiar). It turns out that my IBS, joint pain & extreme abdominal discomfort (to the point of missing work quite frequently) all disappear when I don't eat gluten. No chiropractor or other alt-med practitioner was involved.
  • Guinivere
    Guinivere Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    People should just experiment on themselves! If they suspect their IBS, tummy pains and/or bloating to come from wheat, stop eating it for a whole week. Then eat a slice of bread and record what happens to your body. If no change - great - it's not wheat making you feel yucky, try to eliminate something else like eggs or something. Then eat that after a week and record the result.

There's no one size fits all here. Just need to take our own health responsibility into our own hands.

I find the longer I don't eat wheat the more sensitive I have become which I find fascinating. It helps me say "no thanks" more easily!