I HATE THE TASTE OF WATER!

Options

Replies

• winningthin
    winningthin Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I can truly relate. There was a time where I really just did not like the taste of water at all, but overtime it became bearable and now it's second nature for me to fill up my water bottle (with a sprig of lemon juice - a must!) every day and keep at my desk. I sip on it and am done before I leave for the day. I average 6 to 8 glasses a day. I keep the lemon juice in the fridge at the office and use it religiously. It really really helps with the taste!
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    Tea & decafe tea do not count as water according to every diet I have ever been on. Although your herbal teas do count as water. I even do not mind them cold. All your crystal light & sugar free sweet ice teas are loaded with chemicals that your body really does not need. If you do use them I think it would be smart to use them in moderation. Putting lemon or lime slices in your water makes the water taste different for those who do not like plain water. Green teas are also good but do have caffeine in them.

i make sure there is NOTHING in my tea but green tea...pure herbal lol it doesn't give me the stimulant i need to keep awake, but at least i can count it as water
  • MizzFitness
    MizzFitness Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Tea is a diuretic & will remove water from your body. You should try to drink at least 4 glasses of regular water a day without any additives to ensure your are getting enough. I don't count anything as water but pure water. The water in your area is probably high mineral content causing the flavor you don't like. Try various bottled waters or even the distilled water at the store. It's really good for you! :)
  • barbarella
    barbarella Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    Sorry people, WATER IS WATER! Our bodies need it....... PLAIN & simple! :drinker: :love:
    Every health care practitioner I've seen or book I've ever read says so.

I also fill up plastic bottles to keep track of the quantity drunk each day.
    Lemon is a good idea but can be hard on tooth enamel. :grumble:

Please don't use any funky flavorings because guess what?
    All that stuff = crap = chemicals. :sad: :noway: :grumble:

Get a Brita water filter (or similar) because guess what?
    TAP Water = CRAP Water = chemicals = like chlorine = tastes LoUsy! :bigsmile: :flowerforyou:
  • kikina
    kikina Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    i just bought this stuff at costco ZIPFIZZ you add it to water.. it gives you energy has a great taste and no sugar (made for type 2 diabetics) but it has electorlytes and stuff so it should replace gateraid and all that stuff..

i used to use Emergency in my water but my kids don't like it .. this we all like and it seems healthier than other additives.. but of course water is water!!
  • StuAblett
    StuAblett Posts: 1,141 Member
    Options
    I have real trouble with artificial sweeteners, if I do drink something with it, I go into slow motion, I really hate it. I used to drink diet coke by the gallon, not I avoid it like the plague :sick:

I drink 2L of water mixed with 1L of 100% fruit juice, I have been liking Acerola lately, it is not that sweet and has a lot of vitamins in it, mixed with the 2L of water is has taste but it is certainly NOT sweet. When I'm doing big miles on the bike, the only thing I want to drink is water.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    Tea (or any caffeinated beverage) doesn't dehydrate you, it's a mild diuretic, which means it forces the kidneys to produce more urine. That's all it means. The liquid in tea and coffee balance out any dehydrative effects that the caffeine has.

http://www.webmd.com/balance/caffeine-myths-and-facts?page=2

I found similar info from a study published in the European Journal of Clinical Nutrition. The study found that it didn't have a dehyrating effect.

Question...does forcing the kidneys to produce more urine have an adverse effect on them?

other than putting more stress on them, I don't believe so. If you have kidney problems to start with, it's probably not a good idea to force them to work harder, but other than that, I've not heard of any reason it's bad.
  • Ahzuri
    Ahzuri Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Sorry people, WATER IS WATER! Our bodies need it....... PLAIN & simple! :drinker: :love:
    Every health care practitioner I've seen or book I've ever read says so.

I also fill up plastic bottles to keep track of the quantity drunk each day.
    Lemon is a good idea but can be hard on tooth enamel. :grumble:

Please don't use any funky flavorings because guess what?
    All that stuff = crap = chemicals. :sad: :noway: :grumble:

Get a Brita water filter (or similar) because guess what?
    TAP Water = CRAP Water = chemicals = like chlorine = tastes LoUsy! :bigsmile: :flowerforyou:

So true on the Tap water! For a long time we would buy bottled because neither me or my husband could stand the tap water. After awhile we got a filter and now its awesome so I think if you aren't liking the water getting a filter may help a lot more than you think.

I used to hate drinking water too but over time I've come to love it. Anything like soda or crystal light now leaves a weird taste in my mouth (kinda like dry mouth if that makes sense!) but the water has to be cold, can not drink lukewarm water lol
  • SouthernBell86
    SouthernBell86 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Okay, well if you don't have a Brita filter, I HIGHLY suggest you get one, because that can make some of the weird taste go away. Secondly, I think you need to tell yourself you are going to learn to love water. You really need to be drinking a lot of it everyday and if you put bunches of stuff in it all the time, that will have a negative effect.

Wean yourself into it if necessary. Make weaker and weaker tea over time or something, but bottom line is that NOTHING is a substitute for water. It's okay to drink a glass of unsweet tea occasionally, but it shouldn't be the main way you are getting liquids. Crystal Light shouldn't be seen as a bunch of "nothing" you add to water. As soon as you add it, it isn't just water anymore. I understand that it can be really hard to just drink water at first, but for your whole body's health you need to learn to love it.

Water is literally a miracle substance. Without it life on earth would be unable to exist. You need it for every cell and cell membrane in your body, every process that takes place requires it. It can cure diseases (caused by dehydration) and relieve many of the aches and pains throughout your body. Try to drink it with the attitude that it is like oxygen, a non negotiable necessity for life. Because it is.
  • DalesWife
    DalesWife Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your help..... I *can* learn to like water, I just prefer tea. Glad to know that on WW it counts, since that's the program I've decided to go with. Thanks again.
  • DalesWife
    DalesWife Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry but I just can't get this. It's water. Drink it already or try to add lemon juice to it. I'll avoid my full on rant.

Full on rant? Are you serious? Re-read my question: I wasn't saying I wouldn't be open to drinking straight water, but was questioning whether I need to drink water in ADDITION to tea.

Maybe lay off the attitude a little. I'm new here and have encountered only kind, inspirational people, and can't understand why you would add any negative energy to a legitimate question.

I DO, HOWEVER, THANK THE MANY KIND, INSPIRATIONAL, MOTIVATIONAL PEOPLE HERE WHO HAVE UPLIFTED ME AND LET ME KNOW THAT THIS SITE IS FULL OF PEOPLE JUST LIKE ME! YOU ALL ARE GREAT!
  • Oceanmama
    Oceanmama Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I too can definitely relate!!! Personally, I strongly dislike fresh fruit or fruit juice in my water, store-bought fruity waters, tap water from any location, real tea and coffee. I also can not drink store-bought iced tea drinks or mixes, lemonade, gaterade, etc. because I have a food sensitivity to man-made citric acid (I get an aweful rash on my face and break out in hives). I have never been a big drinker of any kind to start as I am rarely thirsty, so my fluid intake in general has always been lower than it is supposed to be.

But drinking water is a MUST for any healthy body, whether during weight loss or not - so many valid research studies have concluded this. So I am desperately trying to remedy my non-drinking/non-thirst issues.

Here is my recent solution: Freezing cold bottled water!!! All bottled waters are NOT created equal, however, as some are just glorified tap water and/or have varying amounts of minerals in them, but I have found Poland Spring to be relatively inexpensive and amazing tasting. I know that unfortunately it is not good for the environment or as frugal as I should be, but I also only get the 16.9 fl oz sized-bottles, because I can drink it relatively quickly and it doesn't have time to sit out and absorb any stale flavor as I have found the larger bottles do.

But if you like tea, I'd say go for it! I wish I liked real tea! Or I wish I didn't react to the fake stuff! I'd work the calories into my daily count if I could drink it!!!

On a different note, I too can't understand why people have the need to add negetive energy to such a site as this. How does that help anyone???
  • deshaine
    deshaine Posts: 195
    Options
    Frozen fruit pieces helps add a little flavor, along with a bit of Honey. I like lemons, oranges, or berries but please do not freeze a banana and add it to your water, you will be disgusted in the end

no.. but you can freeze a nana and then dip it in your sugar free chocolate jello!! O. M. G!!! :love:
  • JDMPWR
    JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry but I just can't get this. It's water. Drink it already or try to add lemon juice to it. I'll avoid my full on rant.

Full on rant? Are you serious? Re-read my question: I wasn't saying I wouldn't be open to drinking straight water, but was questioning whether I need to drink water in ADDITION to tea.

Maybe lay off the attitude a little. I'm new here and have encountered only kind, inspirational people, and can't understand why you would add any negative energy to a legitimate question.

I DO, HOWEVER, THANK THE MANY KIND, INSPIRATIONAL, MOTIVATIONAL PEOPLE HERE WHO HAVE UPLIFTED ME AND LET ME KNOW THAT THIS SITE IS FULL OF PEOPLE JUST LIKE ME! YOU ALL ARE GREAT!

Your title says it one. "I hate the taste of water" well I hate a lot of things but thats life. Just deal with it. I hate whiners but you don't see me making a post about it. Their is stuff that I have to do that I don't like to, to get what I want out of eating right and I consume a lot of stuff I don't want to but I don't need to make a post over such trivial things or maybe the title could of given a better view with something like "alternatives to tap water" or "what can I do to add flavor to my waters", etc.

When you state I HATE WATER, I take it as YOU HATE WATER.
  • JDMPWR
    Options

Your title says it one. "I hate the taste of water" well I hate a lot of things but thats life. Just deal with it. I hate whiners. Their are of stuff that I have to do that I don't like to to get what I want out of eating right and I consume a lot of stuff I don't want to but I don't need to make a most over such trivia things or maybe the title could of given a better view with something like "alternatives to tap water" or "what can I do to add flavor to my waters", etc.

When you state I HATE WATER, I take it as YOU HATE WATER.
  • JDMPWR
    Options
    I do. I've tried to like it but I HATE THE TASTE OF WATER!

Instead of drinking water, I make unsweet iced tea - decaffienated.

Is this okay? Does it still count as water?

I can't see how adding a bit of unsweetened, un-caffienated flavor could matter, but thought I'd ask nonetheless.

Thanks for your help and I love this site!

This says nothing about in addition to tea do you need to drink water or am I blind? This was a straight whiny post about you not liking the taste of water. Point Blank.
  • TennVolsGal
    TennVolsGal Posts: 218 Member
    Options

YOU GO GIRL....water is hard for me to drink to....but I make myself. I L O V E the bottles you get when you buy Smart water at the gas station....so I get a few and fill them up. IDK but something about the lip on the lid allows me to basically chug it. I do know that if you force yourself for a while it will get better and easier to drink! Guess thats where determination comes into play. Good luck....buddy me if you would like :drinker:
  • superhippiechik
    superhippiechik Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    Love Herbal Tea.
    Water makes me gag!
    Don't you people know what fish do in that water?! LOL
  • jenthestrawberry
    jenthestrawberry Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    The "Water is Water" is a myth that has been debunked. Water is a great way to keep yourself feeling full, but the idea that you have to drink 8 glasses of straight water to meet a "requirement" has been exaggerated.

Here is a great explanation of how the myth came to be: http://www.diet-blog.com/08/the_mythical_daily_water_requirement.php

Also: here is another site with a bunch of other "Medical Myths" and good references to the information they were citing! http://www.bmj.com/content/335/7633/1288.full
  • mush1958
    mush1958 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I use sugar-free Singles to go packets. My favorites are the Hawian Punch, orange is the best!