Eggs will kill you

Options

Replies

• JustAmy
    JustAmy Posts: 291
    Options
    I’m an eggbeater (cartooned eggs) person myself not because I don’t trust egg farmers but because overall it is just so much lower in fat and calories, of course also cholesterol ;)
    I just have a question about where you find your animated eggs. :tongue: :laugh:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • cutmd
    cutmd Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    I agree with those that point out that an unprocessed egg is a beautiful thing. My great-grandmother ate it, so it's alright with me. The jury's still out on the processed stuff, in my opinion. I eat tons of eggs, always with the tasty yolk. My cholesterol is high - my good cholesterol, that is.

My HDL (good cholesterol): 100 (over 60 is desired)
    My LDL (bad cholesterol): 50 (under 120 is desired)

Genetics and exercise come into play, but honestly I think it's all saturated fat and trans fats that ultimately do you in. There weren't a fraction of the number of heart attacks before we started eating processed foods. Cardiologists warn people off of egg yolks to be safe, but I haven't heard of one case of someone with high cholesterol that only ate eggs and no junk
  • binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    Eggs give me the kind of gas that lingers in the air. The kind so thick you can cut it with a knife. The kind that will make children jump from a moving car. The kind that will lead to a divorce, I am sure.

That is so disgustingly funny and even funnier that you are an attractive blond woman. I guess it’s true what they say, after kids you really do have no shame left, LOL
    So attractive blondes can't have that type of humor? Weird. I learn more misinformation on this site every day.

I think it's damn funny... Without laughter this world would be awfully boring...
    I disagree. Love and curses...jester
  • binary_jester
    Options
    Yikes...double post.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    it's for articles such as this that I wrote this post.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/131276-observational-science-and-the-health-industry

Not that I think it was wrong to post the article, but I think the article itself is a little unrealistic. Especially when they compare it to things such as that Hardee's burger.
  • cutmd
    cutmd Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    Med Sci Monit. 2007 Jan;13(1):CR1-8. Epub 2006 Dec 18.
    Regular egg consumption does not increase the risk of stroke and cardiovascular diseases.
    Qureshi AI, Suri FK, Ahmed S, Nasar A, Divani AA, Kirmani JF.

Epidemiological and Outcomes Research Division, Zeenat Qureshi Stroke Research Center, Department of Neurology and Neurosciences, University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey, Newark, NJ, USA. aiqureshi@hotmail.com
    Abstract
    BACKGROUND: We performed this study to examine the association between egg consumption and risk of cardiovascular diseases and mortality in a nationally representative cohort of 9734 adults aged 25 to 74 years.

MATERIAL/METHODS: Egg consumption was categorized into no or less than 1 egg, 1 to 6 eggs, or greater than 6 eggs per week. Cox proportional hazards analysis was used to identify the relative risk (RR) of incident stroke, ischemic stroke, coronary artery disease and mortality over a 20-year follow-up in all participants and subsequently in diabetic participants.

RESULTS: After adjusting for differences in age, gender, race, serum cholesterol level, body mass index, diabetes mellitus, systolic blood pressure, educational status and cigarette smoking, no significant difference was observed between persons who consumed greater than 6 eggs per week compared to those who consume none or less than 1 egg per week in regards to any stroke (RR, 0.9; 95% confidence interval (CI), 0.7 to 1.1), ischemic stroke (RR, 0.9; 95% CI, 0.7 to 1.1), or coronary artery disease (RR, 1.1; 95% CI, 0.9 to 1.3). In subgroup analysis among diabetics, consumption of greater than 6 eggs per week was associated with an increased risk of coronary artery disease (RR 2.0, 95% CI 1.0-3.8).

CONCLUSIONS: Consumption of greater than 6 eggs per week (average of 1 egg or greater per day) does not increase the risk of stroke and ischemic stroke. The increased risk of coronary artery disease associated with higher egg consumption among diabetics warrants further investigations.

PMID: 17179903 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Publication Types, MeSH Terms
    LinkOut - more resources
  • LongMom
    LongMom Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    My theory when I question whether or not I should be eating something is this:

Did my great-grandma eat it?

YES. She did. Eggs are a natural source of protein, and eaten in moderation, are good for you.

Did great-grandma eat processed meats? NO. Protein shakes? NO. High-fructose corn sugar? NO. Splenda? NO. Equal? NO. Regular sugar? Yes.

Maybe I won't be popular for this post, but it's how I decide what goes into my body and what doesn't. :happy:

I'm with this poster!!!
  • PanicAtTheBuffet
    Options
    Ehhh. It's a natural body function. It also makes me laugh that stuff like that doesn't bother you. I could talk about the nastiest stuff while eating an watching a c section delivery atthe same time :)

Wow, and I thought I sucked as a birthing partner! :happy:
  • sbilyeu75
    sbilyeu75 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I just ate 3 boiled egges for lunch (gasp)
  • chatal36
    chatal36 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    That is absolutley hilarious !!!
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,724 Member
    Options
    My theory when I question whether or not I should be eating something is this:

Did my great-grandma eat it?

YES. She did. Eggs are a natural source of protein, and eaten in moderation, are good for you.

Did great-grandma eat processed meats? NO. Protein shakes? NO. High-fructose corn sugar? NO. Splenda? NO. Equal? NO. Regular sugar? Yes.

Maybe I won't be popular for this post, but it's how I decide what goes into my body and what doesn't. :happy:

My Great Grandma grew up on a farm. They raised chickens, pigs, and always had a cow(because sometimes, you gotta have a steak). She ate eggs almost every day of her life with no ill effects. Unfortunately she passed away suddenly at the age of 101.
  • gambitsgurl
    gambitsgurl Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Ok. In honour of this thread I present my lunch:

Egg Beaters - Egg Beaters, 1 cup
    Eggs - Egg Whites (Large Egg), 1 egg white cooked
    Mushrooms - Raw, 1 cup, pieces or slices
    Earth Bound Farm - Organic Baby Spinach, 2 cups
    President - Fat Free Feta Cheese, 1 z
  • kimmrdodge
    kimmrdodge Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Good cholesterol vs BAD cholesterol....sigh.....thats all I'm gonna say....
  • MiloBloom83
    Options
    Eggs give me the kind of gas that lingers in the air. The kind so thick you can cut it with a knife. The kind that will make children jump from a moving car. The kind that will lead to a divorce, I am sure.

Me too! But only if they are hard boiled. It's why my children dread Easter.
  • MiloBloom83
    Options
    Ahhh back to the age old question and NO, it's not what came first the chicken or the egg but rather will eggs help you or kill you??? Good cholesterol or bad?? Seems like today the answer is EGGS WILL KILL YOU.

I just saw this article in a paper sitting in our office lunch-room today while I was getting my 5th glass of water and thought of you guys ;)

The most ironic thing that pops up to me is actually the fact that University of WO researchers are studying Hardees – a restaurant that’s not even in Canada but the rest of the article is Canadian focused (researchers and the Canadian egg market). Their point is brief but it is interesting.

The yolk just might be on us

One egg yolk fries up more cholesterol than some of the most larded fast foods ever sold, a new study published yesterday says.

And Canadian egg marketers are using “propaganda” in their “Get Cracking” commercials by suggesting the products are healthy, especially for people at risk of heart disease and other cardiovascular ailments, the paper’s lead author says.

“The Hardees Monster Thickburger has 210 milligrams of cholesterol and that’s more than four days of meat for what I recommend to my patients,” says Dr. David Spence, a University of Western Ontario neurologist and the paper’s lead author.

“And one large egg yolk has 275 (milligrams).”

That one yolk compares to a Hardees burger that delivers its cholesterol load in two one-third-pound beef patties, three slices of cheese and four strips of bacon, he says.

The infamous KFC Double Down, which features bacon and cheese sandwiched between two hunks of deep-fried chicken, has a mere 150 milligrams of cholesterol.

Bonnie Cohen, marketing and nutrition manager with the Egg Farmers of Canada, says it is “irresponsible” to compare eggs with junk food like the Double Down, which carries a wide variety of known nutritional hazards.

http://www.metronews.ca/toronto/local/article/679479--the-yolk-just-might-be-on-us

The leading author in a neurologist? Maybe if he were a nutritionist, i might be more willing to listen. Besides, Canada's best doctors all move to the USA.
  • mmatteson
    Options
    Well, I have to thank all of you for the posts concerning this subject. It sure made me laugh and it brightened my lunch time. Thanks again!!!
  • NatalieWinning
    NatalieWinning Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Now I need to go find the study that had 2 groups of people consumed high cholesterol diets...people with and people who had normal levels. NEITHER groups showed a difference. It is genetic.

Some of it is genetic. Not everyone has to watch their cholesterol. Some people have high cholesterol no matter what they do, but that doesn't mean they are bound to die of heart disease, either.

But, I think the point is it's part of a total diet. Just like calories are not the enemy, too many are. Especially for the people prone to getting overweight!

Cholesterol isn't the enemy, too much is.Especially for those that it's a issue for!

We are not all at risk for disease, but the ones of us that are can at least cut back on what they know might be issues for them.

Eggs, potato, bread, dairy: cutting out food groups is never the answer. Neither is making one or a few foods the best things to eat ever in your overall diet.
  • binary_jester
    Options
    I eat 3 whole eggs a day, never a problem.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Now I need to go find the study that had 2 groups of people consumed high cholesterol diets...people with and people who had normal levels. NEITHER groups showed a difference. It is genetic.

Some of it is genetic. Not everyone has to watch their cholesterol. Some people have high cholesterol no matter what they do, but that doesn't mean they are bound to die of heart disease, either.

My grandmother has super high cholesterol. Even on meds, it's WAY higher than it should be.

She's never had a stroke or heart attack or any other serious illness. She's 94 and still living on her own.

So, when I saw my cholesterol was high, but all my other numbers were good, I made the decision to continue eating well and exercising (the RD I spoke to basically told me to eat what I already eat, anyway) and not worry about it.

I don't overdo the eggs, but more because there are other things I'd rather eat. I have them when I want them.
  • mizyvee
    mizyvee Posts: 74 Member
    Options

Wow really?? An obese person making this joke may make you chuckle but an attractive person saying it makes it more funny since beauty is = to perfection therefore admitting a flaw, a BIG one is funny.

Humour 101. Good grief!

At some point during my husband's long and grueling illness (am sure it was in the beginning) while I was literally covered head to toe in his feces because I was tired and cranky and literally threw his wheelchair seat into the shower to clean it....On that day, while I was covered head to toe in his feces, someone rang the doorbell to call on us. I answered the door, while covered head to toe in feces and proceeded to have a genteel and polite conversation. They ignored the feces. I ignored the feces. I gave up even PRETENDING there was anything near to perfection in this world. Feces happens :D

Great sense of humer and confident enough to be a female who can talk about farts and poop is my kinda gal. Move over Miss Congeniality and let the REAL WOMEN in, lol.
    By the way, I eat 1 real boiled egg with my oatmeal almost every morning. I think the egg has a bad rap.