Are Panko breadcrumbs bad?

Options

Replies

• AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    define "bad", panko are tasty. if they don't throw you over on calories for the day, you're fine.

Well people say "Wheat Flour" is a bad carb because it's a simple carb and it will eventually make me gain weight. is that true?

it's not true
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    Panko are just japanese style bread crumbs and as such neither bad nor especially good. If you want them, or better if the calories are worth it to you....enjoy. I personally avoid all bread crumbs, because I don't want the extra fat that all bread crumbs absorb.....but that is/was a personal choice even when I was not overweight.
  • stefaniemazz
    stefaniemazz Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    define "bad", panko are tasty. if they don't throw you over on calories for the day, you're fine.

Well people say "Wheat Flour" is a bad carb because it's a simple carb and it will eventually make me gain weight. is that true?

There is no such thing as a bad carb. Short of having a medical condition, it's calories in vs out.

Even if I don't want to look "skinny fat", my goal is not only to lose weight but to have a toned body, can eating simple carbs stop that from happening?

Being fit and toned is about body composition. At this point, it's not just about weight loss, it's about having low body fat and enough lean body mass to give you that defined look.

And are there certain foods I should be eating to achieve that look?
  • cheriebery
    Options
    I agree with others that no food is 'bad', moderation is key. As far as recipes go, I like allrecipes.com The recipes are all tested and also rated by site users. My fave fake fried chicken is made by lightly coating a dampened skinless chicken breast with shredded Parmesan cheese and salt and pepper. Bake at 350 till juices are clear and center temp is 160-170 degrees F.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,412 MFP Moderator
    Options

There is no such thing as a bad carb. Short of having a medical condition, it's calories in vs out.

Even if I don't want to look "skinny fat", my goal is not only to lose weight but to have a toned body, can eating simple carbs stop that from happening?

Being fit and toned is about body composition. At this point, it's not just about weight loss, it's about having low body fat and enough lean body mass to give you that defined look.

Nope... if you want to look toned, cut to a low body fat and maintain as much muscle as possible. this means aim for 1g of protein per lb of lean body mass and do some heavy weight training. Once you achieve a lower body fat, if you feel you don't have enough definition, its because you need more muscle. This is very common on those on the lower end of an acceptable weight or underweight. At this point, you will want to do a bulk phase followed by a cut. As a women, during bulks, 50% of your new matter will be fat. It's inevitable and can not be prevented.
  • cici1028
    cici1028 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    BAD panko!

Hah, no, panko isn't "bad". No food (as you've seen above) is "bad". Some are more nutritionally complete than others, that's for sure. But nothing is BAD.

I eat them from time to time. I think they are healthier than traditional breadcrumbs. Keep it light. A really great way to use them without soaking up a ton of oil is to OVEN fry it! Good for you on trying to cook better. I suggest "Cooking Light" for easy online recipes (free) that use a nice combination of fresh/packaged ingredients as you get started. The further you go with your weight loss, the less you'll want processed foods. But for now, nothing wrong with it! Do it!

http://thelemonbowl.com/2012/12/baked-chicken-fingers-with-panko-and-dijon.html
  • echofm1
    echofm1 Posts: 471 Member
    Options

You should be eating foods that are high in protein to help foster muscle growth. The most important thing to do though, if you want your body to be more toned and not just lose weight, is to strength train. To actually build the muscles up to get that toned look, though, you'll need to eat at or near maintenance. Otherwise you're just trying to keep the muscles you have as you lose weight.
  • T_X_L
    T_X_L Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    IIFYM, simple as that, assuming no food allergies.
  • stefaniemazz
    Options

Nope... if you want to look toned, cut to a low body fat and maintain as much muscle as possible. this means aim for 1g of protein per lb of lean body mass and do some heavy weight training. Once you achieve a lower body fat, if you feel you don't have enough definition, its because you need more muscle. This is very common on those on the lower end of an acceptable weight or underweight. At this point, you will want to do a bulk phase followed by a cut. As a women, during bulks, 50% of your new matter will be fat. It's inevitable and can not be prevented.

What does "cutting mean"? Sorry for all the questions, as you can see I need some advice on how to achieve the "toned" look.
  • somerisagirlsname
    somerisagirlsname Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Nothing, and I repeat, NOTHING that you eat is going to help you achieve a "toned" look. The only way you will get the look you desire is by weight training. Food has very little to do with it, aside from calories in v. calories out and getting enough protein.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,412 MFP Moderator
    Options

What does "cutting mean"? Sorry for all the questions, as you can see I need some advice on how to achieve the "toned" look.

Bulk - adding mass done with a calorie surplus
    Cut - losing mass done with a calorie deficit
  • HappyStack
    HappyStack Posts: 802 Member
    Options

No, this isn't true.

No carb is 100% simple or complex. Most of the digestible carbs in fruit are simple sugars, but nobody would tell you that fruit is going to make you fat, right?
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I think they are pretty good, but I make my own breadcrumbs when I am cooking something.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

Wheat flour is the main ingredient of wheat bread. People are stupid. Bread is awesome. How else you gonna make a tasty sammich?
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    That's broscience.
  • stefaniemazz
    Options

This may sound stupid, but shouldn't I cut first and Bulk 2nd?
  • arghbowl
    arghbowl Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    Panko is Japanese for devil food. So yes, they are bad.
  • ercaface
    ercaface Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I love them but I don't label any foods as 'bad' unless I'm allergic or they're just not worth their calories to me.

I think chicken is good off the grill, too. Also, pounding it thin and baking it into lemon chicken or sauteeing it into picatta or marsala is good, too. Or curry chicken on the stove top.

Life's too short to eat the same foods daily. Keep experimenting and don't get stuck on chicken, either.

I'm just learning how to cook, so it's kind of hard for me to come up with new ideas.
    But thanks for the reply! :)

You might look at www.eatingwell.com
    They have a lot of pretty healthy recipes that are simple. It helps me keep some variety!
  • Some_Watery_Tart
    Some_Watery_Tart Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options

This may sound stupid, but shouldn't I cut first and Bulk 2nd?
    If muscle tone is a priority for you over weight loss, I recommend this book: "The New Rules of Lifting for Women". It's a book about strength training and the supporting nutrition. You will not lose weight immediately on this plan, or as fast, but as you lose the weight you will notice what people like to call the "toned" look.
  • wmstormvet
    Options
    There are so many variations available. You can completely change what it tastes like with just spices and herbs. Try different ones and you probably wont get bored. You can mix spices into the breadcrumbs for a crunchy coating plus more flavors. My husband and I really love Emerills Essence Seasoning on our chicken. Gives it a cajun taste. Plus if you like that flavor, you can make it yourself at home and control the amount of salt in it and also make it spicier, if you like spicy food. I also love to get buffalo chicken sauce and marinate my chicken in that and bake or grill the chicken breasts.