You reared your ugly face

Options
12346»

Replies

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I have been about 197 for the last month...my body fat percentage went from 36.6% to 36.5%.

IMO you are significantly under-estimating your BF %. This in turn would likely mean overestimating BMR and TDEE, by as much as 400 calories.

My BF% is 36.6 - and we checked that 2 days ago, so thats as accurate as i can give you.

If that were true, you have more lean body mass than a typical male.

That number is not believable, sorry. I would add 10 to it, and then use Katch-McCardle to calculate your BMR. This will give you a number 300-400 calories lower than what you are currently using, which not coincidentally, is consistent with what you are (not) experiencing weight loss wise.

A typical male has less than 125 lbs of lean mass?

Not at 200 lbs, I wouldn't think? It just sounds so low.

A typical healthy male is 5'10", 160 pounds. At 20% BF that leaves 128 pounds of lean mass.

So yes...
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    I have been about 197 for the last month...my body fat percentage went from 36.6% to 36.5%.

IMO you are significantly under-estimating your BF %. This in turn would likely mean overestimating BMR and TDEE, by as much as 400 calories.

My BF% is 36.6 - and we checked that 2 days ago, so thats as accurate as i can give you.

That number is not believable, sorry. I would add 10 to it, and then use Katch-McCardle to calculate your BMR. This will give you a number 300-400 calories lower than what you are currently using, which not coincidentally, is consistent with what you are (not) experiencing weight loss wise.

Bump because now I'm here to learn.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options

A typical healthy male is 5'10", 160 pounds. At 20% BF that leaves 128 pounds of lean mass.

So yes...

That example seems true, yeah.
  • rb16fitness
    rb16fitness Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Assuming you've ruled out any medication that could effect your metabolism; then if your weight has been static for a month you are eating at maintenance level for your current weight.

You need to eat less calories to get the scales moving favourably again.
  • Sarie_Bronish
    Sarie_Bronish Posts: 255 Member
    Options

So yes...

That example seems true, yeah.

I am 5'6" - 5'7" tall. I was in the military for several years with a 19%Bf - it has been 4 years since I left the military. Even at 19%BF when I was in the military, I weighed around 147-150.

We checked my BF% AGAIN today - since you clearly want me to be equal to an elephant - and it is 36.3, which is down from 36.5. I dont know why you think that all women are nothing but skin, fat, and bones. Youre saying Its not possible to have decent muscle on my body?
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options

So yes...

This site says the typical male is 5'9", 196 lbs. with a 40" waist. The second link estimates his BF% (at age 35) as 58%. So 80 lbs. of LBM? I guess your's was for the typical 'healthy' male. Does he really have 50% more LBM than his fat buddy who weighs 36 lbs. more? Yowza.

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/bodymeas.htm
    http://www.healthyforms.com/helpful-tools/body-fat-percentage.php
  • Fit_Canadian
    Options

So yes...

A typical healthy male is 5'10? Darn it I need to go grow 2 inches to be healthy :(
  • Mr_Excitement
    Mr_Excitement Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    How are you measuring your bodyfat percentage? Calipers?
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options

So yes...

This site says the typical male is 5'9", 196 lbs. with a 40" waist. The second link estimates his BF% (at age 35) as 58%. So 80 lbs. of LBM? I guess your's was for the typical 'healthy' male. Does he really have 50% more LBM than his fat buddy who weighs 36 lbs. more? Yowza.

80 lbs??? I wondered how I was walking around relatively fine at 87 lbs scale weight (very ill). It was hard to lift the heavy covers in the winter with my legs; I remember that. My BF was so low my kidneys had dropped!

I was measured (after treatments for a long time, lol) at 115 lbs LBM. I am naturally muscular for a girl and have high testosterone, etc, so I don't take that to mean much for the population, but 80 lbs still sounds crazy!

Sorry, OP :D I don't have good advice for you other than to maybe wait longer. I had water weight gains from lifting for like 8 weeks, no kidding. Use a tape measure, definitely :)
  • Sarie_Bronish
    Sarie_Bronish Posts: 255 Member
    Options

My trainer measures my BF% with a caliper.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options

So yes...

80 lbs??? I wondered how I was walking around relatively fine at 87 lbs scale weight (very ill). It was hard to lift the heavy covers in the winter with my legs; I remember that. My BF was so low my kidneys had dropped!

I was measured (after treatments for a long time, lol) at 115 lbs LBM. I am naturally muscular for a girl and have high testosterone, etc, so I don't take that to mean much for the population, but 80 lbs still sounds crazy!

Sorry, OP :D I don't have good advice for you other than to maybe wait longer. I had water weight gains from lifting for like 8 weeks, no kidding. Use a tape measure, definitely :)

Yeah, that BF% estimator acted up. I re-did it and it said 26%. So that'd imply 145 lbs. of LBM. Makes more sense!
  • hilts1969
    hilts1969 Posts: 465 Member
    Options

My trainer measures my BF% with a caliper.

Your only mistake was eating more calories when you stopped losing weight after some dodgy advice on here
    The only advice i can give you and i am not an expert as i don't need to be is to go back to doing what you were as you have said and see how it goes

You have lost plenty of weight overall so you can't be bad at adding up your calorie consumption or your BMR, the simple truth is no one knows why sometimes doing the exact same thing results in a period when it stops working so people on here throw all sorts of nonsense around, ignore it

I have been eating healthy and exercising mon to fri for four months and some months i have lost a lot and others only a couple of pounds, why the difference i don't know or care

I only weighed myself once a month to avoid all this nonsense, give it two months before changing anything, your weight loss will slow anyhow as you get lighter which is just common sense

If this is going to be a life change of being slimmer does it matter if it takes six months or a year to get there?
  • Vicxie86
    Vicxie86 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    For your dinner, try eating mostly protein and less than 10g carb