Obese...with defined abs?!

Options
sarahrbraun
sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
I am obese. There is no question about it. I have 30 pounds left to lose before I hit the top of the "overweight" range according to BMI.

I started taking progress pictures on a monthly basis back in february, and occasionally I will take one if I *think* I see a change in the mirror that I did not expect. This morning was one of those days.

the picture on the left was November 14th (my normal picture day), the picture on the right was this morning.

11180932935_b09afe5fef.jpg
Untitled by crochetmom2010, on Flickr

Replies

• strangeone25
    strangeone25 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Some definite progress in those two weeks
  • Hauntinglyfit
    Hauntinglyfit Posts: 5,537 Member
    Options
    You have definitely lost some fat, great job!
    I don't see the abs, though.
  • CJ_Holmes
    CJ_Holmes Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    It's so great you're documenting your changes like that. And you can bet you're going to have some killer abs- keep up whatever you're doing to get your fierce muscles. Great work!
  • Sovictorrious
    Sovictorrious Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I don't see the abs,

I agree
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    don't give up, they're in there somewhere.
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    I don't see the abs, though.
    This, but awesome job on what you have done so far :-)
  • Ophidion
    Ophidion Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    great work but I tend to think it is wishful thinking on your behalf about the abs...they are in there but you have a whiles to go before you see defined abs.
  • Candi_land
    Candi_land Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your progress so far! You do look a little smaller, and I see a slight waist definition on your sides but no, I don't see abs. Keep up the good work though, you'll get there!
  • LesaDave
    LesaDave Posts: 1,480 Member
    Options
    The visible formation of your abs (rib area) is coming thru. Keep up the good work!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    you are doing great...but the defined abs are still a ways to go ..however, it is a great goal to have..
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    you are doing great...but the defined abs are still a ways to go ..however, it is a great goal to have..

Agreed. Great progress and you should be proud of your losses. What you're seeing is your waistline and shifting as you lose. You're not at the point of having abs yet, but if you keep working hard, you will get there!
  • Amadbro
    Amadbro Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    From what I've read you just started last month. You have a long journey ahead of you, don't rush it. One thing I've learned (as impatient as I am) is to not rush results, they will come. Instead, focus on your training and meals. Preparation is the key and if you're prepared and know what your doing the next day, week, month when it comes to your fitness goals and nutrition you will be sure to succeed. Good luck.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    great work but I tend to think it is wishful thinking on your behalf about the abs...they are in there but you have a whiles to go before you see defined abs.
    This.
  • TamaraKat
    TamaraKat Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    From what I've read you just started last month. You have a long journey ahead of you, don't rush it. One thing I've learned (as impatient as I am) is to not rush results, they will come. Instead, focus on your training and meals. Preparation is the key and if you're prepared and know what your doing the next day, week, month when it comes to your fitness goals and nutrition you will be sure to succeed. Good luck.

Agreed.
    And remember, abs are made in the kitchen! But whatever you are doing, keep it up because the results have already started!
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on the great progress.

Since you asked the question in the title, no, those aren't abs. It's an absence of adipose tissue in some areas of your stomach that have caused a 'dent', creating shadows and giving the appearance of abs. I have the same thing going on. Those shadowed areas are not my abs, just pattern of fat distribution that causes shadows.

e0737975-75ea-4343-a6d5-aa03dbc577c3_zps078f2d8c.jpg

Don't let it discourage you though. Keep up the great work and you'll see those abs one day.

Good luck!
  • MGinAK
    MGinAK Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your progress!
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options

Ummm. Wrong. The "before" picture is from a few weeks ago...but that is NOT my true before picture. Here are a few more pictures to give you a better idea of where I came from, and why I am so proud of what looks like some beginning ab definition to me.

the picture on the left is May 2012, and I had already lost 10-15 pounds. The picture on the right is back in August or September of this year.

10067067346_a131833b47.jpg
    Untitled by crochetmom2010, on Flickr
  • hastingsmassage
    hastingsmassage Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    You look better but no abs there :) not yet. good luck!
  • crimsontech
    crimsontech Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Nice FitBit hehe - you are doing great! It's great to watch things shift around and improve your overall shape. I started at almost 350 pounds and it didn't take too long before I actually had a defined waistline and now I wear different types of shirts than I used to in order to show it off. Enjoy it, and keep at it! :D
  • martha19652013
    Options
    You definitely are doing something great, your motivation is seeing the abs sure. Go for it cos to me i feel it's a way of motivation.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!