Average weight for a 5 foot 6 inches female

Options

Replies

• Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    This is a fun way to look at 'averages':

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-18770328

At my lowest weight I have the same BMI as the average woman my age in poorer parts of Africa or Asia. Pregnant, right now, I'm closer to the norm for the UK.

This doesn't determine how big I should be. For that I take into account a family history of heart problems and high blood pressure at the top end of the normal range, a shocking waist to hip ratio at the top of the normal range, gaunt cheeks as I slip towards the bottom of the range, all of which point to a BMI in the low 20s (unless there is a change in body composition), which at 5'5" is in the 120-130lb range.
  • rehughes22790
    rehughes22790 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I looked on the internet and it said that basically it depends on your frame and age. I think for 5'6" the range is about 120-155.
  • emilyisbonkers
    emilyisbonkers Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    i'm 5 ft 6 and 150lbs at the minute, but would like to get back to 133lbs.. I looked good then!
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    When lifting, I know I like myself under 150 and no lower than 130. My favorite was probably 140-145, but I don't know that I'll build quite as much muscle this time because I'm not using the same equipment.

I start losing just my boobs and my waist-to-hip curve under 130, though, and I saw no reason for that for me :) No need to lose those if I can help it, lol. You can see my muscles well enough (for me) at whatever body fat that is where I still have most of my boobs.

On the frame thing, it can be weird, I think. I have small wrists, actually. And small ankles. But my frame is very wide. I have broad shoulders and a very broad ribcage for a girl, and my hips are wide across, too. I think I come up small-framed by the wrist test, lol. Somehow my watch size doesn't dictate my whole frame, and I might not be the only one!

Bra band size is 38" and you can see my ribs there. No fat at all right there to make up that size 38.
  • guessrs
    guessrs Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Great thread I'm wondering the same thing at 5'6. I am at 135 quite athletic. I did lose my curves and feel too bony. I am trying to lose to 130 for a marathon I am running. The less I carry the better.
  • Cardiobunny1313
    Cardiobunny1313 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    5'6 and currently 125 lowest weight was 110 and definitely borderline eating disordered behaviour at the time. I wear a size 4 right now aiming for 120 for now

And women who lose their boobs I've gained and lost weight throughout the years but had generally larger sized breasts currently sitting at a 32 DD..let's not mistake fat for 'curves'
  • vickilynch946
    Options
    I am 5'6 and weigh 155 with a goal of 147-I am rather large framed and have a lot of muscle. I am almost 65 am quite active and use an elliptical 4x weekly. I wear size 8 to 10 in my jeans and slacks and feel that getting below 147 will be unhealthy for me.
  • sweetpea129
    sweetpea129 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    I am 5'6 and weigh 155 with a goal of 147-I am rather large framed and have a lot of muscle. I am almost 65 am quite active and use an elliptical 4x weekly. I wear size 8 to 10 in my jeans and slacks and feel that getting below 147 will be unhealthy for me.

This is how I feel. I'm 5'5 and weigh 150 right now. I wear a size 6 and do not have much fat on me. My goal is set for 140, I honestly do not think much lower than that would work for me. I think if i went much lower I would start losing lean muscle mass to be honest. But sometimes i do think my goal is too high when i see people at my height striving to be 115 lbs!
  • Fabfitgirl5
    Fabfitgirl5 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    OK, this all depends on your body type. My nutritionist and my old trainer said that I would look perfect between 150-155 or so. That is because at that weight I can have approx. 22% body fat be lean and I would look stunning. I am 5'6 3/4.

I have been 128 lbs and everyone, including myself said I looked sick. I have been 145 and that was ok, but I prefer the high end of the 140's to the low to mid 150's.
  • foodiscomplicated
    foodiscomplicated Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    You may want to try a different approach, your waist - hip ratio. It's believed to be a more accurate indicator of fitness. This calculator also provides many other measurements, all in one-go.

Let us know how you stack-up.

http://home.fuse.net/clymer/bmi/
  • chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    When I was in high school I was 143-147. I had rocking abs, and wore US size 6-8 clothing.

I am now 158-160, US size 10-12. I am stronger and faster than I was in high school, but have a layer of fat over the muscles.

I estimate I will be happy with my body at 140-145. I am 28 years old.
  • LovelyMarie774
    LovelyMarie774 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I am 25 years old, 5 ft 6.5 in, and 135 lbs. I have been everything from 106 lbs to 147 lbs. I was not cute at 106 (skin and bones and my cheeks started looking thinner) and I was chubby at 147. I have fairly broad shoulders and carry weight in my boobs (and my cheeks.. I have chipmunk cheeks!). I and everyone I am close to think I look best between 115 and 120, but this might have been shifted up since I started weight lifting more seriously 6 months ago. I am cautiously cutting down to 125 at the moment to see what my muscle situation is under my "winter fluff".

ETA: I have been reading through the other posts and it is really interesting how much variation there is! Since others are mentioning their boobs, I thought I would add my two cents. I start noticing major shrinkage in the boobs when I drop down to 110 and below. At 106 I was a small 32 C. At 147 I was a 34 DD or bigger I just wore sports bras when those got tight. It was tooo much boob for me. I was super insecure at my highest weight. Most of my life I have sat at a 34 C to 34 D.
  • FitGirlMD
    FitGirlMD Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Currently 137 and my goal is 128
  • dancinrascal
    dancinrascal Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    At one point I was 110 but it was very hard to maintain. 115-120 is good for me as I have a small frame. 110 lbs and I looked a little scary.
  • Tahsuda1
    Options
    Hello i am 52 year old woman i was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism 2 years ago went from 150 to 110 in less than a month i am 5'6 was told i am triangular in shape..it took me 2 years to get up to 132 and would like to stay in weight range of 128 to 135 i take synthroid everyday as i had the radio active iodine done had a hysterectomy 11 years ago and notice that my nicely shaped stomach even after kids is not that great anymore,,,not like there are rolls of fat i would like to know what is a good exercise to tone my stomach back up. i do kegels ...it is hard for me to do imapct exercises as i have alot of chronic pain and weakness throughout my body...and would like to strengthen my arms and legs and stomach basically my whole body i bought the fluidity bar am getting ready to start using it ..oh i know breakfast is most important meal of day and with my synthroid i i can not eat anything for 2 hours after taking..also should you eat before you exercise or wait until after...i do drink a lot of water...any advise Thanks!!!! one more thing i am medium boned..
  • rachael726
    rachael726 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5 3/4..I started at 302.6 and I am currently fluctuating in the 220's. I would ultimately like to lose another 80 lbs to get to 140. I will see how I look and feel when I get to around 180. I've always had what I consider to be a larger frame. It's not an exact science. I say what you look like and feel like is important. I know that I am not comfortable in my own skin yet. Just means I have some more hard work to put in :)

Good Luck!
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    What do people mean when they say they have a small, medium or large frame? I don't think I understand that. What makes your frame a particular size? And how can you tell the sz of your frame? How can I tell the sz of mine?

You can get a quick and easy estimate of your frame size by simply wrapping your thumb and index finger of one hand around your wrist of your other hand. If they overlap you have a small frame; if they just meet you have a medium frame; if they can't touch you have a large frame. You can also calculate it by measuring your wrist with a tape measure or by measuring your elbow breadth (need assistance for the second measurement).

The following website shows you how to determine your frame size using a tape measure:

http://www.myfooddiary.com/Resources/frame_size_calculator.asp

The following website has a calculator that gives you an ideal weight range for your height after you have determined your frame size:

http://www.divine.ca/en/ideal-weight-calculator/c_317/

The ideal weight for each frame size gives you a weight range of about fifteen pounds. A more muscular person would likely aim for the higher end of the range and a less muscular person for the lower end. Of course, these are just guidelines and each individual has to determine a weight where they feel comfortable at what is sustainable for them.

Pear shaped women are often a combination of frames. Smaller on top and larger on the bottom per wrist and ankle measurements.

I am a combination. At 5'6" I weigh 127 lbs. I consider weight to be interesting, but body fat % is what really counts. I am currently sitting at probably 18 - 19%.
  • kgreenRDLDN
    kgreenRDLDN Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Ideal weight range (meaning for your height-and to be within a normal BMI---yes I know this is not the best tool to use, but it is a tool to use) for 5'6" woman is about 117 (BMI: 18.9) to about 151 (BMI: 24.5).
  • Edensienna
    Edensienna Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I'm currently at 126lbs at 5'6

My goal weight is 118...

I was comfortable at that weight for years but gained after two pregnancies.
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    Relevance of average female weight with regard to YOUR body: none

This.

I'm 5ft, 6in and my maintenance range is 117.5-121lbs.