Question about the QUALITY (not the QUANTITY) of calories

Options
I believe that excessive sugar and fat are bad for you, however my question isn't about whether certain things are good/bad/stupid/healthy to eat, my question is just on basic biology/physiology etc.

Question: (this is for the sake of argument, and I am not intending to try EITHER extremes of diet)

Will a person lose weight at the same rate if you eat 1500 cals of bacon and donuts per day, as if you ate 1500 cals of healthy foods (veggies, lean proteins, grains, whatever you deem to be healthy)?

People always say "calories in, calories out" but I wonder if it is really true. I know everyone has a theory, but does anyone have an actual personal experience where they changed from eating "whatever they wanted" to "eating clean" or "eating healthy," or changed in the reverse direction (possibly when starting to maintain?)

I know everyone likes to quote "calories in, calories out," but I am interested in personal experience instead of ideas and theories and internet blogs. Anyone with personal experience in changing the QUALITY of their diet, please tell me: when you changed the QUALITY of your diet, in what way did you change your diet, how did it affect your weight loss, if at all?

Just curious to what people's actual experiences have been with this.

Thanks in advance!

Voodoo Lady

Replies

• twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    Yep-I lost over 50lbs cutting back on calories and eating fast food 3-5 times a week, lots of frozen dinners, low fat/low calorie 'diet' foods, guzzling diet soda etc etc. I also didn't do any type of exercise while I was actively losing. Blood work done during this time has never been better, including no longer having a glucose level in the pre-diabetic range.

After I went into maintenance I tried 'clean eating' and the only thing I got out of it was I became obsessive over what I ate, for the first time in my life, stressed out and frustrated. I didn't magically feel better cutting out the foods I enjoyed and I didn't look better. I did lose my period and my hair started falling out though. My sleep got messed up too (I got sucked into the 'clean'/whole foods low meat/dairy thing and my fat intake dropped dramatically). I've ditched that and have gone back to eating how I like, watching calories, aiming to hit macros and enjoying life and maintenance.
  • Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    The last time I was on MFP, I ate 1500 "clean" calories a day plus exercise calories. I lost an average of a lb a week for 12 weeks before I just couldn't handle the stress and expense anymore. This time, I eat whatever I want within 1750 calories (TDEE method) and have lost an average of just over a lb a week, with last week being week 15.
  • VoodooAborisha
    VoodooAborisha Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Yep-I lost over 50lbs cutting back on calories and eating fast food 3-5 times a week, lots of frozen dinners, low fat/low calorie 'diet' foods, guzzling diet soda etc etc. I also didn't do any type of exercise while I was actively losing. Blood work done during this time has never been better, including no longer having a glucose level in the pre-diabetic range.

After I went into maintenance I tried 'clean eating' and the only thing I got out of it was I became obsessive over what I ate, for the first time in my life, stressed out and frustrated. I didn't magically feel better cutting out the foods I enjoyed and I didn't look better. I did lose my period and my hair started falling out though. My sleep got messed up too (I got sucked into the whole eat clean/whole foods, low meat/dairy thing and my fat intake dropped dramatically). I've ditched that and have gone back to eating how I like, watching calories, aiming to hit macros and enjoying life and maintenance.

That is interesting, thank you for your input. I have been having fast food a couple times a week, a cookie here and there, or cake, and diet soda, and I feel better than when I was just on salad and green beans. I don't feel so bad about doing that anymore :)
  • VoodooAborisha
    Options

I think the coolest part of this was that the guy's cholesterol levels got better too - how neat! Thanks for sharing.
  • VoodooAborisha
    Options
    The last time I was on MFP, I ate 1500 "clean" calories a day plus exercise calories. I lost an average of a lb a week for 12 weeks before I just couldn't handle the stress and expense anymore. This time, I eat whatever I want within 1750 calories (TDEE method) and have lost an average of just over a lb a week, with last week being week 15.

very nice. And you feel it is easier to maintain now that you don't have "forbidden" foods?
  • BenjaminMFP88
    BenjaminMFP88 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    If we forgo the body's necessity for essential nutrients then my answer is below:

There is suggestive evidence that indicates there may be a link between certain nutrients and their ability to increase the body's motabolism. I'm not certain how legitimate this all is, but if there is truth, then it would make a difference in weightloss. If this is true, the the quality of the calories would matter greatly, however if this is false, then it wouldn't matter at all as your body breaks down most macro nutrients into the same pieces anyways regardless of their quality.... for the most part

However, from personal experience, I noticed significent differences when adjusting the quality of calories I consumed. the main one being, the amount of energy I had to actually go to the gym. After a few days of eating a more natural diet (fruits veggies etc) I found myself wanting to be active. This in turn boosted my weightloss. When I ate a more junk food style diet all I wanted to do was sleep. There were days that I would eat pizza and want to go to bed right after.

*both diets were at about the same caloric value, but I would a few more lbs eating healthy, which can most likely be attributed to my increased gym activity.
  • cheddar2000
    cheddar2000 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I have lost a little over 100 lbs. I went the "clean" eating route. Minimal processed foods, farmers market veges, organic meats and more turkey, fish, than meat. Some fruits. No added sugar or sweets except for the occasional dark chocolate treat maybe once a week.

It has not been smooth sailing all the way and I have had several backslides. During the backslides where I would eat a piece of cake or some candy or even flour things like white bread or and even a couple of times a fast food hamburger and fries I felt ill and could not exercise to my usual capacity (4X a week cardio for 90 minutes and 3X a week 60 minutes full body lifting with a light swim for 30 minutes after). I also got out of sorts in the bathroom.

Blood work during clean eating was great. Cholesterol was a bit higher overall during the problem times. And my Doc is doing blood work every 3 months while I lose so pretty accurate.

For me my body responds well to clean eating. I really think everyone has to find what works for them. Note to that I have had a lot of genetic testings (got into a trial a few years back when it was still new) and I have one protective and one non-protective gene for heart disease (my mom had heart disease, my father did not). And the same for irritable bowel syndrome. So for me I do think the genetics also plays a role.
  • p4ulmiller
    p4ulmiller Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Will a person lose weight at the same rate if you eat 1500 cals of bacon and donuts per day, as if you ate 1500 cals of healthy foods (veggies, lean proteins, grains, whatever you deem to be healthy)?

In my experience, it is absolutely as simple as calories in, calories out.

I've lost 47 pounds in 25 weeks (1.9 pounds per week) eating fried breakfasts, drinking alcohol, sandwiches, crisps, fizzy pop andfocussing directly on calories.

I don't subscribe to "clean eating" and I think a calorie is a calorie. I believe the healthiest eating plan is one you are going to stick to for the rest of your life, which is why I don't subscribe to the WW, Atkins, paleo diets.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Sorry but your question is wrong - a unit of energy cannot have "quality".

If you mean does the quality of food matter then yes, of course it matters for nutrition and health.

If your sole aim is weightloss then a calorie is a calorie, if your aim is health then a person's diet (entire diet not individual foods) absolutely does matter.
  • BeccaBollons
    BeccaBollons Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    I have not denied myself anything, so no clean eating for me! (as my food diary testifies) I try to stick to about 2000 calories a day, and I have found that balancing my macros contributes more to wellbeing than what the actual food items are. As long as I get around 90g protein, at least 20g fibre and 50g fat, then any food goes. I'm very close to goal, so not losing very much weight at the moment (on purpose!)

I believe a calorie is a calorie as far as weightloss goes, but in terms of wellbeing, energy and body composition, macros is where its at.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Why do these questions always ignore macronutrients?

There is no such thing as calorie "quality."

The only things that matter are NUTRIENTS. There is no "healthy" food or "unhealthy" food. Nutrients are nutrients no matter what food they come from.
  • BenjaminMFP88
    BenjaminMFP88 Posts: 660 Member
    Options

The only things that matter are NUTRIENTS. There is no "healthy" food or "unhealthy" food. Nutrients are nutrients no matter what food they come from.

I think MICROnutrients are more commonly overlooked.
  • Seesawboomerang
    Seesawboomerang Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Lean proteins make me feel fuller for longer so I snack less.
    Sugary foods and carbs make me sleepy or 'crash' so I feel sluggish.
    Vitamin rich vegetables make me feel lively and energetic.

The effect of these things on my likelihood to eat well and exercise means they do have some influence on weight loss/gains and fitness.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

I think MICROnutrients are more commonly overlooked.

I think micronutrients are overemphasized, actually. Macronutrients are far more critical to pay attention to. Insufficient micronutrient intake is exceedingly rare and usually caused by a medical disorder.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Sorry but your question is wrong - a unit of energy cannot have "quality".

If you mean does the quality of food matter then yes, of course it matters for nutrition and health.

If your sole aim is weightloss then a calorie is a calorie, if your aim is health then a person's diet (entire diet not individual foods) absolutely does matter.

This is one thing I have had to learn. I am not a science person by any stretch, but a calorie is just a unit of energy. You lose weight cutting calories, no matter what they are in terms of macronutrients. Your macros (protein, carbs, fats) come into play depending on what your goals are, but you can get all of these by eating a variety of foods. It doesn't have to come from unprocessed "clean" foods.
  • maffff
    maffff Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    It's just a measure of energy...
  • cubsgirlinny
    cubsgirlinny Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    In for responses.
  • KateK8LoseW8
    KateK8LoseW8 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    A calorie is a unit of measurement for energy. That's it. If you provide your body with less units of energy than it needs to maintain your body weight, you will lose weight. If you provide your body with the exact number of units of energy to maintain weight, you will not lose weight. If you provide your body with more units of energy than it needs to maintain weight, you will gain weight. Period.

That said, it's harder to lose weight eating mostly "junk food" because junk food has a lot of calories, so you have to eat less compared to if you were to eat the same amount of calories coming from, say, leafy green vegetables. It's hard for people to eat less, so it's harder for them to lose weight if they ignore vegetables. Also, for the sake of good nutrition, healthy eating is obviously important. But for the sake of weight loss, it just comes down to food energy.

This is also why I hate the term "junk food." Even junk food has a purpose - ENERGY. If you already met all of your nutrition requirements for the day and have 100 calories left over, you can fill those calories with whatever you want. It doesn't matter. You simply need 100 more units of energy. It doesn't matter if those 100 units of energy don't come with micronutrients, because you already got everything you needed that day. There are no bonus points, your body filters out the excess.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    I lost weight and maintain my weight eating both "junk food" and "healthy food". I eat Taco Bell, drink alcohol, pizza, have ice cream, etc... as well as fresh fruits, vegetables, and lean protein. I haven't noticed eating either making a difference in the frequency and intensity of my workouts. (other than the alcohol...it's hard for me to work out with a hangover)