day 4 and already blew it.

Options
So I was trucking along. Hitting net goal. Eating 1200-1400 each day. Exercise each day. Day 3 I exercised a lot and ate back more than half of my cals burned. But was still ok

day 4. That was yesterday. I did fine all day. Dragged myself to gym after work. Walked 4 miles. Around midnight, I blew it. Went to kitchen. Had 3 cookies. Two flour tortillas with cheese. Handful of chips. About 1000 cals right there
awful. So grand total cals for yesterday eaten was 2200-2500. I burned 400 thru exercise.

is this going to derail me? I can't believe I couldn't pull off one week on this. I am really ticked at myself.

Replies

• Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    you didn't blow it. you know what you did? you fueled up for an extra hard work out today.
  • joolywooly33
    joolywooly33 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    You didn't blow anything....and if you are committed to this for life you will have hundreds of day like this and moments of weakness. Learn from you mistake and move on. Tomorrow is ALWAYS a fresh start and we NEVER give up!! I know it is disappointing, but try not to sweat it too much and just try to move on - you can do it!
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    of course you failed... you are stuck in a mentality that leads to yo-yo dieting.

how do i know this?

because you're trying to eat 1200-1400 calories per day and then "splurging" after a few days. your body is starving for calories and you eventually "give in" to its demands.

get out of that mentality. eat at a MODERATE calorie deficit from your TDEE and you'll be able to stick with it.

take the time to get your settings correct. MFP will allow you to pick a 2lbs/week loss rate, but that doesn't mean it's the best option for you.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/833026-important-posts-to-read
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/952996-level-obstacles-lose-weight-target-fat-easy
  • maca416
    maca416 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Your doing too much too soon.

If your not used to exercise then suddenly doing loads is not going to do you any favours in the long run, I would take a look at the whole thing & just make small changes to your eating habits & exercise routine, just start off with walking for now.

Jumping in & doing everything at once will set you up for failure unless you are very strong willed.
  • connieannw
    connieannw Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Lesson learned: Day four needs to be a rest day and a treat day. Find a non-food treat to look forward to. I allow myself a twenty minute nap, or something else I used to do in kindergarten where all I ever needed to know I learned.
  • jobegone
    Options
    Don't let this derail you. You are the only one who can derail it for you. Just brush it off and start again. We are human and we all feck up. Have you worked out your BMR?? I only ask because 1200 kcal isn't a lot especially if you are exercising daily. Also is exercising daily something you can do for the rest of your life? I only say this as this as you need to change your diet and lifestyle in a way that is sustainable long term. Or else it's a vicious cycle where you feel like you've failed if you haven't been to the gym 7 days in a row. Also you need to allow yourself rest days for your body to heal and recover or you risk injury too. Doesn't have to be every other day or anything, just make sure you have a good balance.
  • Smiler106
    Smiler106 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Don't beat yourself up about it, and don't let it put you off. Dust yourself off and keep going.
  • jfauci
    jfauci Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Definitely didn't blow it! Look at it as an opportunity to reflect on what you could have done differently. Usually, when I attack the fridge, it's because I either didn't eat enough calories during the day or, I was particularly low on protein. Either way, every "slip-up" is an opportunity to learn what you can do differently in the future.

Just pick yourself up, go to the gym and get right back on track!
  • Lives2Travel
    Lives2Travel Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Meh. All you did was blow one day. What really matters is what you do now. Will you throw your hands up and quit thinking that since you can't be perfect there's no use in continuing or will you start again this morning? I guarantee that every successful dieter on this site has blown more than just one day, but they've all forgiven themselves and moved on. You can too.
  • tyediri
    tyediri Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    No, it wont derail you. Happens to all of us. I tend to have one bad day a week at least (not on purpose, it happens and I eat at maintenance or slightly higher). Then I will have another day in the same week where I would eat lower than the calorie limit because I have exercised more that day.
    What matters is that you keep to your goal on average.

I was on a 68 day streak and broke it last weekend as I was visiting family that cooked me food that I didn't even recognise, let alone calorie count. So I am on day 2 again now.

What matters is that you keep at it. Don't let one day get you down.
  • BlackandWhitePhotoOp
    Options
    RELAX...we all go through this. On the bright side of things you did workout and you realized what you did. Tomorrow is a new day !
    Remember this isn't a diet, it's a lifestyle change. One step at a time :wink:
  • p4ulmiller
    p4ulmiller Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    you didn't blow it. you know what you did? you fueled up for an extra hard work out today.

/thread
  • focuseddiva
    focuseddiva Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Thanks. Good advice. I'm definitely used to exercising a lot. I used to run 30 miles a week. That wad 40 lbs ago. I do a lot of walking and Elliptical and strength twice a week. My bmr is 1500. I tend to have an all or nothing personality. Either in on thisor I'm not.

past experience showed me I needed 1200-1400 cals to lose 1-2 lbs a week. That's with exercise. Was I hungry last night? Meh. Where is my willpower? I am hoping I can last the next 4 days and just get through one week. Btw, I didn't weigh myself before starting mfp. Couldn't face scale. But I have an idea. Just need to stop this nighttime binging. Wish I could fall asleep and stay asleep.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    Thanks. Good advice. I'm definitely used to exercising a lot. I used to run 30 miles a week. That wad 40 lbs ago. I do a lot of walking and Elliptical and strength twice a week. My bmr is 1500. I tend to have an all or nothing personality. Either in on thisor I'm not.

past experience showed me I needed 1200-1400 cals to lose 1-2 lbs a week. That's with exercise. Was I hungry last night? Meh. Where is my willpower? I am hoping I can last the next 4 days and just get through one week. Btw, I didn't weigh myself before starting mfp. Couldn't face scale. But I have an idea. Just need to stop this nighttime binging. Wish I could fall asleep and stay asleep.

ah, it doesn't matter how used to exercise we once were. your body does reset itself rather quickly.

but on the other side of the same coin, your body does reset itself rather quickly getting used to exercise. but not in four days. it'll take a while, but if you focus, you'll start feeling good about exercising. the muscle memory will kick in.

you probably just did too much too soon, and weren't fueling your body enough.
  • GoMizzou99
    GoMizzou99 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    A day over does not derail this...weeks on end do.

IMHO - Over days are the bomb! Just sprinkle them lightly into your regime.
  • LosingItForGood13
    LosingItForGood13 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    No u just t get yourself back up and start again u will have these days at the beginning when u are getting use to tracking exercising it gets better over time :bigsmile:
  • bamakmd
    Options
    You didn't blow it. This is just part of it. I've done the same thing! Worked out and burned 600 calories and went to my mom's house with my kids and had 4 cookies that have M&M's in them. I felt awful after I ate them but I just took it as a learning opportunity. Everyone hits this point so don't feel bad.

Drink plenty of water to help flush out what you ate and just keep going to the gym. It's ok! We all do it :)
  • So I was trucking along. Hitting net goal. Eating 1200-1400 each day. Exercise each day. Day 3 I exercised a lot and ate back more than half of my cals burned. But was still ok

day 4. That was yesterday. I did fine all day. Dragged myself to gym after work. Walked 4 miles. Around midnight, I blew it. Went to kitchen. Had 3 cookies. Two flour tortillas with cheese. Handful of chips. About 1000 cals right there
    awful. So grand total cals for yesterday eaten was 2200-2500. I burned 400 thru exercise.

is this going to derail me? I can't believe I couldn't pull off one week on this. I am really ticked at myself.

the only thing that derails you is your attitude.

Not what you put in your mouth.

So you put a lot of calories in your mouth, so what? You recommit to your goals, you make a plan to minimize the damage.

Maybe recalculate your TDEE because as Brainy Burro said, you're eating a little low.

but the ONLY thing that is going to derail you is you.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    If you average your calories over all those days, I imagine you will still have a calorie deficit. And even if you don't. It's just one day. You did not blow it. What you do today and tomorrow and the next day, etc. will determine if you blow it or not.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    If you're eating under your BMR your body is most likely rebelling. Feed yourself properly and you're far less likely to have a binge.