Question about the QUALITY (not the QUANTITY) of calories

Options

Replies

• stackhead
    stackhead Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    For those advocating that you 'feel better' eating 'cleaner' - I sure as hell didn't. It made me grumpy and miserable not to mention sluggish and (surprisingly) bloated and just generally pants!

I don't eat clean and I don't like the word 'junk food' - food is food. I eat whatever I fancy at the time - as long as it fits my calories.
  • smh1067
    smh1067 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    In my experience, what the food is doesn't affect my weight loss, just the number of calories in vs. out. What the food is DOES affect how I feel overall though. Cutting fat out of my diet doesn't mean I burn more fat, it just means I feel foggy.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    For those advocating that you 'feel better' eating 'cleaner' - I sure as hell didn't. It made me grumpy and miserable not to mention sluggish and (surprisingly) bloated and just generally pants!

I don't eat clean and I don't like the word 'junk food' - food is food. I eat whatever I fancy at the time - as long as it fits my calories.

How do you define eating 'cleaner'? What changes did you make when you were eating 'cleaner'?
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    If you are fairly new here, be aware of what we call trolls. They have nothing to do all day so they post on this site silly things... Pay no attention. You can message to not have to deal with it. It is a big world, many strange people.

The only one saying silly things would be you.

Also, I don't think you know what trolling means.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    I believe that excessive sugar and fat are bad for you, however my question isn't about whether certain things are good/bad/stupid/healthy to eat, my question is just on basic biology/physiology etc.

Question: (this is for the sake of argument, and I am not intending to try EITHER extremes of diet)

Will a person lose weight at the same rate if you eat 1500 cals of bacon and donuts per day, as if you ate 1500 cals of healthy foods (veggies, lean proteins, grains, whatever you deem to be healthy)?

People always say "calories in, calories out" but I wonder if it is really true. I know everyone has a theory, but does anyone have an actual personal experience where they changed from eating "whatever they wanted" to "eating clean" or "eating healthy," or changed in the reverse direction (possibly when starting to maintain?)

I know everyone likes to quote "calories in, calories out," but I am interested in personal experience instead of ideas and theories and internet blogs. Anyone with personal experience in changing the QUALITY of their diet, please tell me: when you changed the QUALITY of your diet, in what way did you change your diet, how did it affect your weight loss, if at all?

Just curious to what people's actual experiences have been with this.

Thanks in advance!

Voodoo Lady

the laws of physics says it's true, so yes it's true.

weight loss is about how much you eat.

nutrition is about what you eat.

that won't sell books however, so lots of people (authors and weight loss industry types) try desperately to confuse the issue. they want your $$$ and will say and do anything to get it from you... see Dr. Oz for example.
  • BrainyBurro
    Options
    If you are fairly new here, be aware of what we call trolls. They have nothing to do all day so they post on this site silly things... Pay no attention. You can message to not have to deal with it. It is a big world, many strange people.

you constantly tell people that calorie counting doesn't work...

...while on a calorie counting website. :noway:

that sort of undermines any credibility you attempt to create for yourself.
  • minimalistmom
    Options

How do you define eating 'cleaner'? What changes did you make when you were eating 'cleaner'?

How you described how you felt when you ate 'cleaner' is how I felt after I tried cutting grains out of my diet. When I say I ate 'cleaner' I made sure I ate more fruits and veggies particularly one at every meal. I ate more balanced than 'clean'. Clean to me is a Paleo Diet which I do not agree with at all.
  • aakaakaak
    aakaakaak Posts: 1,240 Member
    Options
    You are right. Calories in .. calories out is out the window these days... There are too many added artificial ingredients and a calorie of one food is not the same as a calorie of another.... look at vitamin water for just one example.

It is about the quality not the quantity and it unfortunate that EVERYONE does not know that and is still listening to the media but the word is spreading... thankfully.

More information is in the group, [Promotion Deleted].

Joanne Moniz
    [Promotion Deleted]

[CITATION NEEDED]
    Please provide at least one scientific peer reviewed study supporting your statement on the "quality" of certain calories instead of simply promoting your group. At the very least elaborate on what you consider "quality". Are you speaking of the value of macro an micronutrients, or are you specifically vilifying artificial ingredients?
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    You are right. Calories in .. calories out is out the window these days... There are too many added artificial ingredients and a calorie of one food is not the same as a calorie of another.... look at vitamin water for just one example.

It is about the quality not the quantity and it unfortunate that EVERYONE does not know that and is still listening to the media but the word is spreading... thankfully.

More information is in the group, the Skinny on Obesity.

Joanne Moniz
    The Skinny on Obesity Group

And yet I lost over 50lbs eating 'junk' and my blood test results showed what eating this way did-no longer having a glucose number in the pre-diabetic range, a total cholesterol number in the 160s and being pegged 'very low risk' for heart disease. Go figure.

eta: I've spent hundreds of hours researching food/nutrition and how it relates to health, longevity of life etc. I've read all the books, watched the documentaries and lectures, read a ridiculous amount of articles etc. And what it came down to is I had to listen to my body-eating a strict 'healthy' diet was detrimental to me. Now I don't label food as 'good' or 'bad', focus on macros and I feel fantastic. Life is much better now that I've learned to listen to my body's cues.

If you lost weight and improved your health by eating junk, why did you change your diet for maintenance? I took a look at the past couple of weeks in your food diary and saw very little food that wouldn't be considered "healthy" by most.

I hit maintenance this spring and I had a different account here on mfp. I transitioned over to the 'clean' eating movement after that because of all the reading/watching about food/nutrition/health I had done (especially documentaries like Forks over Knives, Food Matters etc). And I went 'hard core'-organic everything, only fresh veggies and fruit and only from the farmer's market, cut out any extra fat (olive oil etc) etc. I even eliminated most dairy because it was still too 'processed' etc. Really jumped in with both feet :tongue: Tried it for several months over the summer/early fall.

Realized it was causing me way more grief than how I used to eat ever did, gave it up, quit MFP and went into kind of a funk. Then I got over myself, rejoined MFP and got plugged into sidesteel/sarauk2sf's group and I'm now focusing on IIFYM/macros/strength training. I now eat fast food several times a week, drink diet soda, use regular ranch dressing, use protein bars etc. Things that during my clean eating experiment were a big no no.

eta: eating clean sent me over into orthorexia territory. I began looking at food in a totally different way-everything was now 'good' or 'bad' and food was no longer just food. I had to analyze every single thing I ate to see if it was 'safe' to eat. I realize many people who eat a clean/whole foods diet don't get to that point, but there is definitely a push by those in the clean eating movement that say if you don't eat clean, you're harming yourself. It's very easy to get trapped into that extreme mindset and it only leads to bad things.
  • BarbyClare
    BarbyClare Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    There are a lot responses here so I might have missed someone else bringing up this point but if I ate only the higher calorie, "less healthy" food, I think I would just be so hungry all the time. Fast food etc. has so many calories that I could only eat one meal a day or so to stay within my 1,300 to 1,600 daily limit to lose about a pound a week. Of course there are a lot of high calorie extremely nutritious food that I try to eat very moderately in order to keep the calories down but this post seemed to be focusing on the fast food and sweet choices. I also believe it's calorie in, calorie out but common sense seems to say a diet rich in "empty" calories isn't giving your body much to work with. I guess I go with the philosophy of all things in moderation.
  • RinnyLush
    RinnyLush Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Personal Experience:

I have found that as long as I keep my calories within range and my portions under control, I can indeed drop weight eating a combination of any foods I like, regardless of quality.

HOWEVER, I choose to eat clean food because I can eat more of it, it keeps me full longer, it makes me feel better, and I truly enjoy cooking and experimenting with fresh ingredients. Also, I am much more likely to stick to it when I can eat large, tasty meals as opposed to teeny, junky ones. It's much more satisfying and keeps me happy. :smile:
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Lean proteins make me feel fuller for longer so I snack less.
    Sugary foods and carbs make me sleepy or 'crash' so I feel sluggish.
    Vitamin rich vegetables make me feel lively and energetic.

The effect of these things on my likelihood to eat well and exercise means they do have some influence on weight loss/gains and fitness.

Lean proteins are no good for my satiety, unless I am adding some other fat somewhere. For me, fats are better.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    I used to think certain type of calories were better than others. In other words, if I ate 200 calories of vegetables I would lose weight and 200 calories of fast food I would gain weight.

I don't eat a lot of fast food because I just don't like fast food. I don't eat a lot of foods with processed sugar because it makes me feel crappy. I don't drink a lot of caffeine because it makes me feel jittery and makes my ears ring. I don't drink/eat lactose or soy because I am intolerant to both.

However, I eat approximately 2,000 calories of food each day that is NOT clean eating and I have lost 21 pounds and have one pound to my goal.

In other words, a calorie is just a calorie no matter how you look at it.

Calories in, calories out .
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Bacon, Pizza, Pasta, Bagels, Donuts, Burgers, Candy, Ice Cream, Fried Chicken, Eggs, Lasagna, all are foods that help you lose weight.

*If Eaten with a generally healthy diet and exercise
  • badasdad
    badasdad Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I would encourage you to read up on Dr. Layne Norton's theory of If It Fits Your Macros. IIFYM dieting basically considers that your body cannot differentiate what is what when consumed. That is just uses the calories for fuel, and stores the excess. Check it out.
  • aakaakaak
    aakaakaak Posts: 1,240 Member
    Options
    Personal Experience:

I have found that as long as I keep my calories within range and my portions under control, I can indeed drop weight eating a combination of any foods I like, regardless of quality.

HOWEVER, I choose to eat clean food because I can eat more of it, it keeps me full longer, it makes me feel better, and I truly enjoy cooking and experimenting with fresh ingredients. Also, I am much more likely to stick to it when I can eat large, tasty meals as opposed to teeny, junky ones. It's much more satisfying and keeps me happy. :smile:

Let me be the first non-clean eater to say good for you. I'm glad you have something that works for you.

And thanks for not trying to tell someone else how to eat/live. That may be the most non-preachy statement on clean eating I've heard lately.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I love this quote from Eric Helms a leading nutrition and fitness expert.
    "Once our nutrient needs are met, we don’t get extra credit for eating more nutritious food."

:heart:
  • BrainyBurro
    Options
    Personal Experience:

Let me be the first non-clean eater to say good for you. I'm glad you have something that works for you.

And thanks for not trying to tell someone else how to eat/live. That may be the most non-preachy statement on clean eating I've heard lately.

yep! if all the clean eaters responded just the way she had, they would get much less grief on here. much less.
  • RinnyLush
    RinnyLush Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Personal Experience:

yep! if all the clean eaters responded just the way she had, they would get much less grief on here. much less.

I am a firm believer in the "to each their own" mentality. Far be it from me to condemn someone else's choices if they're getting the results they want! I know what works for me and what makes me happy, so that's what I stick to. Best wishes to you guys as well! Grub on. :flowerforyou:
  • ames105
    ames105 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Calories in vs Calories burned is very true. However, in my experience, the type of calories I ate made a huge difference. Fast food or processed food is usually higher in calories. Therefore, I got a smaller quantity of food to work with. I was hungry and ended up eating more to compensate. Also, fast food and processed food is usually higher in sodium. I found that caused bloating and water retention for me. Finally, there is just something about processed food that my body doesn't like. It seems my waste removal system became sluggish and didn't work quite as well.

I find I feel better and have more energy and eat less when I eat 'clean'. That being said, I also allow myself to have fun. I try to eat clean 80-90% of the time and if I want a cookie or icecream, I will still have it. Life is meant to be enjoyed. I just don't let myself have too much fun. 30 years of eating whatever I wanted with no thought of the outcome got me into this situation. Now I have to pay the price and be diligent about what I eat.

The biggest surprise for me is that I find I like the way I feel when I eat better. Therefore, Quality of calories may not be important to the science of losing weight, but it is important to the Quality of my life.