2000 calorie daily deficit?

Options

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    If someone has enough body fat and is eating enough overall calories there's no reason why this wouldn't accomplish quick weight loss short term.
  • malimisko
    malimisko Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Why lose weight so quick ?

Look up

Why Zebras Don't Get Ulcers: An Updated Guide to Stress, Stress Related Diseases, and Coping by Robert M. Sapolsky
  • longtimeterp
    longtimeterp Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    Intramuscular fat:

3223312899_8ee3cffe91.jpg

Obvious when you think about it. :-)

WOW...very obvious...thanks for the visual!
  • longtimeterp
    Options
    consistently running a very large deficit will quickly deplete your glycogen stores. without eating more food to replenish them, your body will turn to stored fat AND muscle to make up the difference. your muscle mass is more metabolically available as energy than stored fat, so your body will burn both to meet its needs. therefore, you will lose muscle mass. you can try to retain as much muscle mass as possible by lifting and getting sufficient protein, but muscle mass will still be lost and it will be more than would be lost on a moderate deficit.
    i was under the impression muscle was the last to get used for energy, after stored glycogen and fat
    if you run such deficits for a long period of time, your body will start to compensate by getting more efficient and neglecting some low priority functions (such as hair health).

it's up to you whether those consequences are worthwhile.

ha...maybe thats why i started going bald in high school when i first went from 300lbs to 180lbs doing stupid stuff like ephedra and ipecac...those were some terrible years for me
  • longtimeterp
    Options
    I'm hoping someone can explain to me why anyone does a 2000 calorie a day deficit (even by exercising THAT much) just for a holiday??????? I don't get it and I'm trying to understand why everyone is in such a hurry to drop weight? Perhaps I am missing the point; but why in the world wouldn't you just eat and exercise reasonably and enjoy the holiday just like the other 11 1/2 months of a year? In these past 9 months the one thing I have learned is that this isn't supposed to be a diet or a temporary exercise thing to lose weight.....it's supposed to be a lifestyle you can sustain for years to come....are you planning on making a 2000 calorie-a-day-exercise routine normal as a lifestyle? I know if your goal is marathons I can see 2000 calories in a daily run; but even those training programs aren't daily and they include "short days" and "long days" so it likely might not average out to 2000 daily deficit.....

Help explain the thinking to a newbie here because I can tell I'm not getting it.....please and thank you :)

i actually have been consistently getting 1000-1500 calories a day over my bmr burned through exercising, however i have been doing calorie cycling so that on lifting days i get like 10% over and non-lifting days i shoot for 1000 deficit...therefor my weekly net deficit was less than 500/day

and i know this isn't a long term solution, i know diet and exercise is a lifestyle. i was just hoping it would help out in the short term and then i would go back to my regular routine after my vacation. the reason its so important is all my friends and family back home have known me as the fat guy (Fatty McBaldBald is my nickname) and i put on some weight after my last trip home when i stopped erecising for a month and put on like 15lbs of fat while losing like 5lbs of lbm. im just trying to get back to where i was before my relapse.
  • longtimeterp
    Options

Every time someone tries to "kickstart" their diet/metabolism/fat loss (etc), a kitten dies.

Broscience FTW

im a dog person anyways, kittens are annoying!
  • longtimeterp
    Options
    What's the huge rush?

I get that the holidays stress people out in terms of weight loss, but you're just going to make yourself even more stressed trying to do this. Putting a deadline on weight loss seems like a great way to make yourself crazy.

My personal experience is that too large a deficit leads to severe cravings and needing to eat everything in sight. I think that a month of running an extreme deficit followed by a few days of being around all that holiday food is a recipe for disaster. And that's in addition to all the other side effects of under-eating. I also worry about injury.

i dont think i could manage a whole month, heck 3 days in its already hard and i have less energy...i'm just hoping to push through for a couple weeks. i always eat like crap when im home and dont have access to a gym so its a double negative...hence the rush to lose so im not adding to a weight im already really unhappy with.
    Be patient. Eat a reasonable amount. Lift weights and eat enough to retain your LBM. And be patient.
    patience...i don't have much of that...i realize it is gonna take years to look even somewhat like a fitness model
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Intramuscular fat:

3223312899_8ee3cffe91.jpg

Obvious when you think about it. :-)

WOW...very obvious...thanks for the visual!

Yeah, I had someone point it out to me, too.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    You obiously seem hell bent on doing it despite multiple people with lots of experience telling you that it is a bad idea. That's why I turned your friend request down. I don't support self destructive people.

You need to sit down and honestly decided if your health (and sanity) is important to you. What you are doing has the potential to turn into the yo-yo effect especially since you are going to rebound on vacation (bodybuilders do it after a show when they suddenly eat whatever they want). It's easy to gain 15-25 pounds in a week that way vs sticking to a reasonable deficit and making slightly better decisions on vacation (a scenario that will help you at least break even).
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    Why are you so worried about gaining weight if you are bulking anyway? Even if you are cutting a few days off on holiday isn't going to make a huge difference in the scheme of things, but weeks of doing your idea is going to bun through all the lean mass you are trying to build with your bulk.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options

Key sentence:
    "It’s also one where there’s not a ton of research but I will happily provide a good bit of speculation on what I think may be going on."

In general I like Lyle's stuff, but that article is a mess.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    grumpy-cat-8141_preview_zps9177ab07.png
  • longtimeterp
    Options
    You obiously seem hell bent on doing it despite multiple people with lots of experience telling you that it is a bad idea. That's why I turned your friend request down. I don't support self destructive people.

You need to sit down and honestly decided if your health (and sanity) is important to you. What you are doing has the potential to turn into the yo-yo effect especially since you are going to rebound on vacation (bodybuilders do it after a show when they suddenly eat whatever they want). It's easy to gain 15-25 pounds in a week that way vs sticking to a reasonable deficit and making slightly better decisions on vacation (a scenario that will help you at least break even).

actually if you read through the thread, i have several people who haven't tried it tell me it is a bad idea, and amade very valid points i have considered. however a few people who have done that deficit say it can be an effective short term solution as long as i know it's not a lifestyle. that was the reason i am asking for continued input as well as responding to others comments where i feel i could do a better job of explaining my motivation.

But thanks for calling me self-destructive when i have lost almost 100lbs over the last few years while going from a size 48 to a size 34 pants and size 56 to size 42 jacket. and 3 years ago i couldnt walk a half mile, now i can and do run 12-15. i do feel like i have made a very non-destructive change to my life. i am very familiar with yo-yo dieting as i have gone from 300 to <200 three times in my life. these last couple years are the only time ive managed to maintain the loss for more than a year through consistent exercise and monitoring of my food intake. and by maintain i go between 190-210 depending on the month or my most recent habits. i am okay with gaining and losing weight as long as the overall trend continues downwards. its just kind of stalled lately and i was looking for thoughts on breaking the stall in the short term, 2 weeks...not the rest of my life...but thanks for your input.
  • longtimeterp
    Options
    Why are you so worried about gaining weight if you are bulking anyway? Even if you are cutting a few days off on holiday isn't going to make a huge difference in the scheme of things, but weeks of doing your idea is going to bun through all the lean mass you are trying to build with your bulk.

i guess RECOMP is better than bulk, sorry for misstating myself
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    Makes slightly more sense, but even so I believe you would be undoing a lot of the work you have put in.
  • longtimeterp
    Options
    grumpy-cat-8141_preview_zps9177ab07.png

growlingdog.jpg
    take that kitty cat! lol Dogs Rule!
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options

actually if you read through the thread, i have several people who haven't tried it tell me it is a bad idea, and amade very valid points i have considered. however a few people who have done that deficit say it can be an effective short term solution as long as i know it's not a lifestyle. that was the reason i am asking for continued input as well as responding to others comments where i feel i could do a better job of explaining my motivation.

But thanks for calling me self-destructive when i have lost almost 100lbs over the last few years while going from a size 48 to a size 34 pants and size 56 to size 42 jacket. and 3 years ago i couldnt walk a half mile, now i can and do run 12-15. i do feel like i have made a very non-destructive change to my life. i am very familiar with yo-yo dieting as i have gone from 300 to <200 three times in my life. these last couple years are the only time ive managed to maintain the loss for more than a year through consistent exercise and monitoring of my food intake. and by maintain i go between 190-210 depending on the month or my most recent habits. i am okay with gaining and losing weight as long as the overall trend continues downwards. its just kind of stalled lately and i was looking for thoughts on breaking the stall in the short term, 2 weeks...not the rest of my life...but thanks for your input.

I saw you have lost a lot of weight and that's great. The reason you are probably stagnant in weight loss is simply that you aren't as vigilant as you used to be. Instead of looking for a short term solution make sure you know your TDEE, select a reasonable deficit (no more than 20% below TDEE) and ensure you are logging accurately. Unless you are training for a marathon stop the endless cardio and stick with strength training combined with a little bit of HIIT.

What you are planning with the large deficit and tons of cardio is self destructive even if it is only for a few weeks. You aren't breaking through a stall by starving yourself then letting loose for a week on vacation.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options

Key sentence:
    "It’s also one where there’s not a ton of research but I will happily provide a good bit of speculation on what I think may be going on."

In general I like Lyle's stuff, but that article is a mess.

Before anyone researches something someone has to first speculate about it. I think there's a ton of stuff about weight loss we haven't even begun to learn yet. I'm always surprised when the Exer. Phys. students at my college talk to me about research and they have no idea what topics to look into.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    For sure. And I have no problem with Lyle speculating. The problem is when something that is clearly speculation gets presented as unvarnished truth.

Not that that would ever happen on MFP, of course... :laugh:
  • longtimeterp
    Options
    First i want to say how appreciative i am of the continued input on this thread. allows me to rethink and revise my strategy...

and on that note...thoughts on 2 days of a 30-40% calorie deficit followed by a day of maintenance or close too, and then repeat...would this be a more sound strategy for a short-term solution?