Is it okay to go running in the rain?

Options
Lately, the weather at my area has been going crazy, raining everyday at the time that I'm supposed to run - around the evening time. It's the only time I can exercise because I have school and all that.

Hence, ive started to run in the rain. However, I'm afraid of the repercussions it may bring, like will I develop a pneumonia over time? Is rainwater bad for my hair?? Etc!

What are your experiences with this?

Replies

• Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    I run in the rain quite a lot. If I was to wait for a dry day, I would probably only get to run once every few months. :laugh:
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    You'll be fine, just don't overdress (wet clothes get HEAVY in a hurry).

FWIW - I've run 26.2 miles in the rain on 3 or 4 occasions and I lived to talk about it
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    Yep go for it
  • WakkoW
    WakkoW Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    You'll melt.

True story.
  • sm1zzle
    sm1zzle Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    You'll melt.

True story.

Literally lol'd when I read that.

But yeah running in the rain is awesome. Just try to avoid slick pavement.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    You'll be fine. Rainwater won't harm your hair. And you can only get pneumonia from a bacterial/viral infection. I've been running/walking/hiking in the rain for 25 years, and nothing bad has happened to me. :-)
  • TomZot
    TomZot Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Of course. Dress properly and don't worry about it.
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I run in the rain all the time. It's FL, so it goes from sunny to pouring pretty quickly. As long as it's not lightening out, I go for it.
  • Manda_1986
    Manda_1986 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I love running in the rain :) Much preferred over running in the hot sun! Like everyone else has said, just dress appropriately and you will be fine.
  • Legs_McGee
    Legs_McGee Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    Is it acid rain?

I run in the rain all the time. No choice, since I think I live in the rainiest place on the planet. Just dress for it and you'll be fine.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    It's just water.
  • gobonas99
    gobonas99 Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    I enjoy running in the rain. not torrential downpour rain...but anything from "misting" to a steady soaking rain. I also am enjoying running in the snow....who knew? :smile:

As far as "dangers"...just be extra careful of things like road paint, tar snakes and manhole covers/sewer grates - all get extra slick when it is wet, so watch your footing. :smile:
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Depends on what is raining...
    Its+Raining+Men.jpg
    image.png
    tumblr_m14u610grr1qm7u0d.jpg
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    I did an entire marathon during the rain. Heck, there was even a small tornado. Running in the rain will do nothing except keep you nice and cool. Watch out for cars though.
  • fangmouse
    Options
    Should I wear like a rain coat when I run? I heard I should wear a hat to protect my head (for body temperature regulation) and all that. Is it necessary? What do you guys wear?
  • discoveredamber
    discoveredamber Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I run in the rain all the time. but I have a columbia pull over rain jacket. It is great for snow and all since it keeps the windchill out too.
  • blackNBUK
    blackNBUK Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Generally I agree with what everyone is saying, that you'll be fine running in the rain, but it's worth keeping a bit of common sense about you. The combination of rain, cold weather and light clothing mean that you can get cold pretty quickly, especially if you stop. Normally this is just uncomfortable but if you can't get back in the dry it can become serious, in extreme situations resulting in hypothermia. If I'm just running around town then I'm not going to worry about this but would I run out in the countryside or across moorland in the rain and wind? Probably not, and if I did I would definitely tell someone where I was going.
  • nathalier71
    nathalier71 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Depends on what is raining...
    Its+Raining+Men.jpg
    image.png
    tumblr_m14u610grr1qm7u0d.jpg

you forgot cats and dogs =) That could be painful!
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    Running in the rain is one of the most liberating ways of exercise there has ever been. It's just as well because I live in england and it rains every single DAY here!
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Should I wear like a rain coat when I run? I heard I should wear a hat to protect my head (for body temperature regulation) and all that. Is it necessary? What do you guys wear?

Yes. Do wear a rain coat and a rain hat. I sometimes dress like a fisherman when I run in the rain. Boots and all.