WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR DECEMBER 2013

Options

Replies

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Hello gals. This will be very short; I am exhausted after teaching for 4 hours today; tomorrow is 6 hours and then I'm done with the classroom part. Just waiting for grading. I was up 0.6 pounds, but that's ok after all the thanksgiving I had. I'm happy it was not more!

I read all your posts. Welcome to all the new ladies. Heather I think it was you who said I should post a new profile pic. maybe at the 45 pound mark! But I do have a nice one from Thanks giving if I can figure out how to post it. Any one want to give me directions? And remember, I'm a dinosaur!!! Take care Meg from Omaha where it is supposed to sleet tonight.

I don't know how to post a picture to the group, but I do know how to add one to my home page. If I can do it, you can. Go to your home page, and follow the directions. Go to your profile and edit pictures.
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Sorry I've been away. I was almost afraid to look at what page we're on right now.

Susan - my grandparents came to the US from Poland. To this day I regret the fact that they didn't teach me Polish. But I fully understand their thinking "we're in America, in America we speak English". My grandfather never really did learn English. At first that was fine, he could get along. but in the end he had to go to the hospital and there wasn't anyone who could translate for him. It was sad, but it was his decision not to learn English. They had it rough and I really have to hand it to them. To come to a foreign country, strange language, strange foods...but they still had a good life. I like the fitness DVD's better than the Wii, but the Wii is good for a change. To play on the Wii, you need the full setup along with the balance board. It was a gift to me from Vince, so I really don't know how much it was. I'm thinking like $150. I don't do all of Jillian Michael's DVD's. I don't care for kickboxing. The ones I have of hers I do like (burn fat, boost metabolism and some others). I personally don't know if I could take her all the time. I don't care for the strength training on the Wii, it doesn't work the opposing muscles (like it'll work biceps but not triceps). I don't know enough about yoga to know if their routine is good or not.

Sylvia - when Vince is not feeling well, you would think he was at death's door! He moans and groans around the house like you wouldn't believe! Now me? If I'm in my pajamas all day, you KNOW that I'm really sick.You had a wonderful dinner at Applebees. See, you can eat out healthily. Unfortunately, you have to request a salad without bacon, croutons or dressing.

Cindy - of course we don't have anything else to do excxept waiting around! How silly of you to think we do. Actually, Jessica wants to do a cat exchange where we meet her half way to here and then take the cats the rest of the way here while she goes to TN to see a friend. I'd like to get it down as to what day so that I make myself available and don't plan anything else.

margaretturk - hope you feel better. Glad you had a good time at the wedding.

katla - you havae no idea HOW surprised I was getting the TOM. It's like a real regular one, and I haven't had a regular one in years and years. It would start out very heavy, get lighter, and slowly dwindle down to nothing. Well, it was real heavy, now its light. I'm shocked, to say the least. How scary when your hubby has a reaction! Even before I read it, I was thinking to myself "he should just go by his blood sugar readings and not by anything else". I'm like you, I'll probably die logging food, and just like you otherwise old habits will take over

barbie - when we would take PJ to the vet, people working in the office would come in just to say "hello" to him.

Joyce - hope you feel better

Laura - that's great you can get a junior XL. Sometimes I can, too. But you have to be careful in the junior dept. I'm not 16 any more and a lot of their clothes are very "youngish". But I have been able to get some things in there.

Rita - I like that you made your goals very specific "I will do XXX and accomplish that by XXXXX and by doing XXXX"

Meg - I'm sorry you have to take statins, but that's really not all that bad.

Angie - happy birthday. Tell me more about the IF/5:2 plan.

Gail - hope the swelling is OK. Let us know, OK?

Cindy - hey, I like cold green beans. I like green beans anyway at all....lol

Cindy - tell me how dealing with adult children isn't fun. It's just so frustrating to me when they think they know it all, and don't even want to consider another point of view, that we might, just might, know a little something.

Pat - feel better fast

Welcome everyone new to a fantastic group!

auto63 - welcome, some people weigh in weekly (I'm one of them), some daily. Depends on what works for you.

Sandy - happy birthday to your daughter. Just a small piece of apple pie, you can do it.

Let's see, yesterday (mon) I did yoga, held my plank for 2 min 30 sec. and then took the extremepump class. After I got home Vince and I worked on putting out more Christmas decorations. Then at night was mahjongg. The one lady who usually leaves early because her TV show is on at 8 told us that her show is now moved to Fridays. Well, since they had at least 3 people, I didn't feel the need to have to stay real long. Maj'd twice, but then left to get some eggs at were on sale.

Today I went to the Y where I did this 20-40-60 interval workout. Basically, you recover at 3.5mph for a minute, then fast walk at 4mph for a minute, the briskly walk for 40 sec at 4.5 mph, then sprint at 5mph for 20 sec. Did this for an hour. Then went to Aldi for a bit, then home to help with more decorations. Vince right now is programming everything into the computer.

Found out that the gal who has the mahjongg on Monday nights proposed a cookie exchange at the next game. I was hoping secretly to get away without any of this. Well....I made chocolate chip cookies for Vince tonight and then these lemon cookies to take to the cookie exchange. Actually, I was going to make them for Christmas Eve so I just made a double batch. I still want to make these butter cookies too.

Have to make a banana chocolate cake for Vince later in the week.

Tomorrow I'm planning to do a step DVD then we have the Newcomer board meeting, then senior bowling, home to grab a bite to eat, then Newcomer bowling.

Michele in NC
  • Gardengail
    Gardengail Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Sleepy bump for tonight... The eye is still swollen, but not any worse. Must go to bed!!
    I like green beans any way - raw or cooked, so that is not a good gauge for me.

Gail, metro ATL
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Today was quite a day. I took my little birthday boy to the mall to see the movie Frozen, which he said he wanted to see. We were there early so we went next door to spend a few dollars at the arcade. Then paid $14 for two tickets, to the movie Free Birds because he changed his mind, $11 for one small popcorn and one small drink, then went in to the theater for the movie. After about 20 minutes of ads and previews and about 10 minutes of the actual movie, he told me he changed his mind and didn't want to see the movie at all. So I took him home. Then at 6:30 I went to the girls' school Christmas program at the big city auditorium. It was a zoo in there, with boisterous kids everywhere. I'm not used to that kind of chaos. So, I was happy to come home where it's quiet. Aaaahhhhh! But I'm glad to have this in my life. For more than five years I didn't get to see them at all.

When I got home I found hubby asleep on the bed with both dogs sleeping beside him. It was sweet.

I needed a snack so I had a pear. A snack used to be a bag of potato chips. My life has really changed.

I hope everybody is having a great evening.

Sylvia
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,709 Member
    Options
    morning ladies,
    had a pretty good nights sleep,yesterday was just crazy at work , i snapped at one of the girls late in the afternoon and that is not like me.. of course I apologized ,but still i felt horrible:embarassed:
    having my lemon water and icing my heel, think tomorrow im going to buy myself new sneakers and buy new orthodics some how the DH cant understand that if you work on your feet and walk and exercise that you cant wear a pair of sneakers for 3-4 years
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,221 Member
    Options
    Well, I have a wreath! It's very rustic :laugh: and I may add a few more berries, but I quite like it that way!:tongue: Very -'natural woodland' ! ! ! I have no means of securing it to the front door so might get DH to put a screw on the inside and hang the ribbon over the door. I don't think he wants our newly painted front door to be screwed into.:ohwell:
    The evening went well, though I was pleased to have my yoga friend for moral support. We had a glass of mulled wine and the actual wreath making was really easy! Unfortunately, as it is in a primary school the chairs were really low and my back suffered.:cry: I didn't sleep well and had to cut back on strength training today. Really annoying.:frown:

Quiet day today in preparation for our trip to London tomorrow. Soooo looking forward to seeing the grandchildren. Babies change so fast.:love: She should be awake more and smiling now. :heart: And I always love to see the wonderful relationship between DH and DGS. Magical!:flowerforyou: :love: :happy:

We will be carrying up a sushi lunch from the station as usual and staying for dinner cooked by DS#2. Then it's a mad rush across London for the train home before it gets too late as it takes 1hr 1/5 mins back to the airport station where we park if we are going to be late. A long day, but sooo worth it. The next time we see them will be Christmas Day.

I was doing my rowing this morning and I thought I would share this with you .:love: On the wall in front of the rower we have a large framed photo of the place where we lived for a while. Some of you Kent UK ladies will know it. Whitstable. North Kent coast. We took a photo from the beach, looking out across the estuary to the Isle of Sheppey. In the foreground are masses of wild flowers growing on the beach, then a stretch of blue water with the low hills of the island in the distance. When I am rowing I often imagine myself rowing across that water. It's a lovely feeling. I generally row about 2 3/4 miles a day. Occasionally I imagine I'm in the Oxford and Cambridge Boat Race and try to do 36 strokes a minute, but that is really going some! ! ! ! :noway: Mostly I go at a leisurely 31 across my lovely water picture.:laugh: :bigsmile:

Bye for now, my beetroot lunch is calling!
    Heather in drizzly Hampshire UK
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Good morning beautiful ladies:flowerforyou:

I`m back…yay! Company was nice, but it sure is great to get back in my routine:bigsmile: !

Yanniejannie :smile: Glad things have calmed down for you! My sofa is so comfortable I can fall asleep on it and sleep all night too:yawn: !

Heather :smile: My freezer is crammed too, I really need to clean it out, got the fridge part done last week, maybe I`ll tackle the freezer this week! I love reading the posts and getting inspired to do things. Just wish you posts would inspire me to love cooking:tongue: , hasn`t happened yet! Hope you enjoyed your wreath making class! 4 large portions for greedy people…:laugh: ! Your photo sounds beautiful…rowing across the water…ahhhh!

Barbie :smile: Oh wow, 1000 calories for latkes:noway: , I bet they are delicious!!! Hope Brandy and Sasha had a good vet visit! Congrats on doing your planks again!!!

Pat (Phoo) :smile: 3 Thanksgiving dinners:noway: , wow! The baked walleye sounds delish! When are you going home to AZ? I would be whining about the cold too:grumble: !!!

Jane Martin :smile: Good goals you have for Dec. I especially like the “don`t stress” one, I need to incorporate that into one of my goals too!

Joyce :smile: Hope your sore throat is gone:flowerforyou: !!!

Katla :smile: Hope DH is feeling better:flowerforyou: , that has to be scary when it happens!!! Glad you got the boat all decorated, and your “urgent” tasks done…I know I have “urgent” tasks too:laugh: !

Laura :smile: Woo hoo on getting a new shirt, and a junior at that:flowerforyou: !!!!

Rita :smile: Yay for not gaining!!!! Love your SMART goals!

Grandmallie :smile: Yummy lunch idea!!! New sneakers are a good idea, the guy who fit me for my walking shoes said you need a new pair at least every 3 to 4 months:huh: , of course they are in the business of selling shoes:tongue: ! I bought two pair while I was there so I had a back up pair!

Kemarryat :smile: Hope you`ve recovered from your surgery and injury:flowerforyou: !

Meg :smile: Ack…sorry you have to take meds., but look on the bright side, at least we have meds. to help!!! You are NOT a dinosaur:huh: :noway: :angry: :laugh: !!!! Did you have sleet last night?

Pat C :smile: LOL at the green beans:laugh: , I love green beans cold, or hot….

Sandy :smile: Happy birthday to your daughter:flowerforyou: !!! Hope your knee is feeling better:flowerforyou: ! LOL at your daughter using the bike behind you with a water bottle:laugh: ! Little slice of apple pie, and just eat the filling and not the crust!

Rori :smile: Always nice to see your posts!!! Your goals for December look good!

Katiebug :smile: I love this thread too:heart: , it`s like a wonderful family!!!

Angie :smile: Happy birthday a few days late:flowerforyou: ! Congrats on winning your dietbet! Both of your cruises sound delightful!

Gail :smile: Hope the swelling has gone down around your eye:flowerforyou: !

Javajudi :smile: Your goals for December sounds good!

Cindy :smile: Oh dear, adult children:grumble: , well, we still call them children for reason:laugh: . I sometimes have the same attitude from my daughter; I just roll my eyes and keep going! My granddaughter called early Thanksgiving morning just to chat with me, after we hung up, she called right back and said her mom wanted to know if she could borrow my meat thermometer, she called back a few minutes later and said her mom wanted to know if I had a roll of extra papertowels I could bring, then my daughter called me and wanted to know if I had poultry seasoning I could share:huh: …I thought about taking my entire kitchen over there:laugh: !

Sylvia :smile: What a nice day having breakfast with your son and grandson! Glad to hear you had a nice time with grandson, even if he did change his mind about the movie:laugh: !

Tina :smile: Welcome, where are you from? We have another Tina in FL. Hope you come in often and chat with us!

Barb :smile: Welcome! Come in often and chat with us! Some of us weigh weekly, some everyday. It`s just whatever you decide is best for you!

Linda C :smile: I try to limit my time on the computer too:frown: , time goes by really fast while on the computer! Oh your messed up fudge turning into a gooey cake sounds just delish:love: !!!

Anamika :smile: Your goals look good!

Mamma_nee :smile: Congrats on the WHOOOSH!!!! Is there a walking track close to you? I go to track every morning to walk and I`ve met a lot of nice walkers there!

Molly :smile: So nice to see your post!!! Give Mr. Binks an extra little cuddle:love: !!! Your Dec. goals look good!

Teral :smile: Hang tight, plateaus are most definitely “bah humbug”:angry: !!!

Michele :smile: How are the decorations coming along? TOM……NOOOOOOO:noway: :sad: !!!!

Barb (AHMOD) :smile: So nice to see you back:flowerforyou: ! I`ve missed your posts!

Oh my, I know I missed a lot, but I only went back two pages! I think of you all though:heart: !
    My brother just called, his car has died on the side of the road, he needs me to pick him up at the car dealership and take him to rent a car……

Hope everyone has a great day! Drink your water:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: and log your food!

Hugs,
    DeeDee in foggy warm NC
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,709 Member
    Options
    well I havent done anything constructive yet...but will race walk after Good Morning America, Sam Champion is leaving for the Weather Channel and he is just a riot
    on my second cup of tea, plus a cup of warm lemon water.. yes I get alot of fluids in
    I will go for a race walk after 9 am and then get ready for work, going in at noon.
  • Katla49
    Options
    Heather : you don’t have to put a hole anywhere in you door. My neighbor uses a wreath hangar. Here is a link to pictures. : https://www.google.com/search?q=wreath+hangers&client=firefox-a&hs=GNE&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=CzKfUsqxJK2JiwLV5oDoCQ&ved=0CGsQsAQ&biw=838&bih=764

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

December goals:

1. Log every bite and swallow
    2. Focus on fitness: cardio and strength every week
    3. Drink at least 3 glasses of water every day
  • cmbalint
    cmbalint Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Good morning Ladies
    day 5 of logging I live your thread I will have to try taking note to remember all of you.
    Someone posted on the tread they have a wreath to hang but doesn't want to put a hole in her fresh paint.
    I don't know if you have tried the 3m hooks but I think they work great without having to make holes.
    I love Sam Champion also so I will miss seeing him in the morning.
    Everyone have a great day:happy:
  • angie007az
    angie007az Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Good Morning Ladies, I'm working so this will be short. I wanted to post the link to some IF/5:2 information as someone asked about the plan I follow. Here you go.

Documentary from Michael Mosley
    http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xvdbtt_eat-fast-live-longer-hd_shortfilms#.UOOjXKz47XS

Link to Mosley's Website
    http://thefastdiet.co.uk/

The Fast Guide
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9Aj6hRYg4A&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DW9Aj6hRYg4A&app=desktop

http://www.shape.com/weight-loss/weight-loss-strategies/10-unbelievable-diet-rules-backed-science

Have a great Wednesday!
  • mamacindy81
    mamacindy81 Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Morning everyone:

Don't know why but am a little frustrated this morning. Probably the weather. I've got lots to do but can"t seen to get started.

But instead of giving into negativity I am going to wash my face, put some music on and make myself get started.

OK I did think of a question? I have made my donation to the "red kettle" outside of walmart yet everytime I go into a store where there is a ringer I feel guilty or judged when I don't drop something in. I know this is just plain old stupid but that feeling goes through me each time I pass one. Does anyone else have this happen to them>

BBL

Cindy
  • Katla49
    Options
    I've added some pictures to my profile page. The one showing is our boat in the foreground with the "green tree" on the front, and our neighbor's boat in the background. I've also added a picture of Alberta Spruce, our new Christmas "tree," and Rudolph with lights in his antlers.
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Heather, another option for the ribbon to hold the wreath is to use a staple gun to staple it to the top of the door. That way the holes made by the staples won't show on either side of the door.

Wreath hangers and nice and pretty when they work. I've never had a lot of luck with them. They always seem to be too wide or too narrow for the door. I just put a screw in my door, but it always has a wreath hanging on so it doesn't bother me. I would probably rethink my decision if I had a new door.
  • auto63
    auto63 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Good Morning! It is hump day going to make the best of it.

Grandmallie I would say yes time to get some new sneakers.....I am a nurse when I was on the floor working I changed mine out every 6-9 months. Now I am more sedentary I only buy every 18 months or so.

Heather Sounds like fun going to see the grand kids...I have 2 and another on the way due in June. They keep me going. Enjoy your wreath.

Katla Love the picture of the boat and the reindeer.

Today I am going to get a workout in after work, I am going to treat my self to a pedicure, manicure tonight can't wait.

Hope everyone has a great day :)

Barb/Illinois
  • hstnljean
    hstnljean Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    OK I am back with my Dec goals. In Nov I was slacking on every thing, even found a couple of the pounds I had lost! Now it is time to start over and get back on track. So here we go

my goals for December:

1. Ride my bike 15 - 30 min. on the days I don't work at Hardtimes or 3 times a week

2. Get back to 3 meals and 3 snacks a day - measure and log it all.

3. Drink 6 - 8 glasses of water

4. Lose at least 5 lb. For a total of 22 lb Dec gw: 242

I am determined to make this work and every day is a new day :flowerforyou:
    Jean from Decatur
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,057 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies,
    Watching it snow from my kitchen window. Makes everything look like Christmas. Getting back to normal now after recovery from a stomach bug :sick: and trip to Chicago. :happy:

Goals for December:
    Make a plan for a bedtime routine and stick to it.
    Make a plan to avoid foods high in salt, fat, and sugar reread Salt, Sugar, Fat: How the Food Giants Hooked Us if need to.
    Pace myself to enjoy the wonders of the Christmas season. Remembering a smile is a gift in itself.:smile:
  • auto63
    auto63 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Cindy,
    I know what you are saying about the red kettle especially if you are out all day shopping you can come across many of them...I do put in each one but sometimes it is just change I find in bottom of my purse.

Morning everyone:

Don't know why but am a little frustrated this morning. Probably the weather. I've got lots to do but can"t seen to get started.

But instead of giving into negativity I am going to wash my face, put some music on and make myself get started.

OK I did think of a question? I have made my donation to the "red kettle" outside of walmart yet everytime I go into a store where there is a ringer I feel guilty or judged when I don't drop something in. I know this is just plain old stupid but that feeling goes through me each time I pass one. Does anyone else have this happen to them>

BBL

Cindy
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,221 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your great advice.. of course I read it after I had got the wreath up! :laugh:
    In the end we screwed in to the other side of the door which is not newly painted and used a wing nut to keep the ribbon in place. Then the ribbon went over the door. Very satisfactory. I don't think DH had any idea what to do, but my first marriage was to an engineer so I got used to creative solutions! :tongue:
    I have posted a photo of it on my profile page. As I say, it is very rustic, but I like it that way!

Katla- love your decorations. Your boat looks terrific!

I made cranberry sauce this afternoon. I like it nice and sharp. In the freezer it goes.:laugh:

Enjoy my photo!

Love Heather UK
  • luckyinlove2
    luckyinlove2 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Love that this site is already on page 6 and it's only the 4th! November goals went okay, but not what I had hoped.
    So goals for December are:
    Exercise at Curves 3x/week
    Keep calories with in MFP guidelines 75% of the time and not over 1900 (my rate at sedentary TDEEP or whatever those initials are!)
    Drink at least 64 ounces of pure water per day; in addition to the other liquids I love to drink!

I have to remember that I am releasing pounds as a dear friend told me. I'm not losing them, because if you are losing them you might think you have to find them again!

Keep on posting!

:happy:
    Jeri in NW Illinois (currently foggy and drizzling which is okay for December!)