Favorite piece of advice

Options

Replies

• soehlerking
    soehlerking Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    "Do something today that future you will thank you for." and "A year from now you'll wish you had started today." I'm not sure that that second one is advice, but it motivated me through a lot of hard workouts and temptations. And when I wanted to starve myself and not take care of my body, the first quote came into play--it's important to keep in mind that you'll still have this body in a year, so you want to take care of it.
  • star5785
    star5785 Posts: 140
    Options
    "It's not how you start, but how you finish"
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Be patient. Don't starve yourself. And don't lie to yourself.

Edit: T-t-t-typo.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    From here?

Two pounds a week is too aggressive for the small amount you need to lose--up your calories.

I did.
  • MzLaLa29
    MzLaLa29 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    log everything. "if you bite it, you write it" I thought that was cute but realized how true it was when I logged a stick of gum and a cough drop. What the heck? lol
  • _namaste_
    Options
    Your food choices account for 80%. You can exercise all you want but if you're not eating right your results will be minimal compared to what they could be.

Muscle is so much sexier than fat (i.e. lift weights!) and muscle burns an incredible amount of calories at rest (as compared to fat). Start lifting as soon into your journey as you can! I didn't and got to my goal weight and thought "this is it?"... 1 year later from that experience and my body is entirely transformed due to lifting weights.
  • SherryIsRunner5
    SherryIsRunner5 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Hydrate! Still working o that one, but it is such good advice!!
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    Don't take *anything* you read on a public forum or website serious. That includes all of MFP. If you want legitimate information to follow, seek a professional, read some books, do your own research. All you will find here are opinions, and opinions are just like *kitten*. Everyone has one.
  • BenjaminMFP88
    BenjaminMFP88 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    *It took me 25 years to get this heavy, i'm not going to lose it all next week

*You can't outrun a bad diet
  • CassandraBurgos83
    CassandraBurgos83 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Eat your dessert first ;-)

My grandmother was full of great advice!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    keep it simple
  • janicebinva
    janicebinva Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Much of my food problem stems from what I call an addiction to chocolate.

The best piece of advice ever was "I don't take the first bite, I don't begin, I don't have any problem". That's from Stephen Gullo's book "Thin Tastes Better", in the section about going cold turkey on foods you have a history of binging on the most.

If I don't start eating chocolate, as in I don't take even one bite, I do so much better keeping calories in check. If I start eating any chocolate, I eat a lot of it. I find it easier to just not start, though it's still hard.
  • Hunnib23
    Hunnib23 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    DO NOT reward yourself with food, you aren't a dog.

I didn't even realize how much I would say, "I can eat this cause I earned it with my workout today."
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    that I don't have to have huge deficits in order to lose weight, and that losing weight isn't as difficult as I have always imagined or made it out to be.

log food accurately and measure with a food scale
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    A year from now, you'll wish you had done it.
  • beachgirl172723
    beachgirl172723 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    DO NOT reward yourself with food, you aren't a dog.

I love that!
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Keep your eye on the big picture rather than the minutia of the day to day. It's about "lifestyle" not "daystyle" or "weekstyle"

Another keeper!

One biggie for me was from a WW leader: "It really is just math."
  • Saramelie
    Saramelie Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Well, it wasn't advice, but I keep telling myself that I AM NOT A GARBAGE BAG
    So my responsability is not to finish my plate or the kids plate or all the left over, or to eat just because it's there.....
  • sheltony
    sheltony Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    If it's not hunger, food won't fix it.