What made you fall in love with lifting?

Options

Replies

• LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Realizing that I didn't HAVE to be the scrawny girl who could barely pick up a backpack. Feeling strong as a girl who had dealt with anorexia for years was a feeling I can't really put words to. Not needing to wait for someone else to help me lift things, get things, open a jar, etc... Realizing I could depend on MYSELF to do things that required strength, both small and great, was life-changing. It's shifted my goals from wanting to be the 95 lb weak girl to being able to be the amateur person at Highland Games (not that I've done that, but I WANT to be able to do that).

Falling out of clothing I fit in 20 lbs lighter also helps.

And like others have said... sometimes I don't love lifting. Sometimes I get a bit of malaise, and drop it down a bit, before going back, or just dread doing it... but generally, the fact that it's helped me conquer so many fears about calories I had with my ED (wait, you mean I can eat MORE doing this? And not get "fat"?!), I always make sure to be patient when my passion ebbs. Because it comes right back.

I <3 you Shelbs
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    I am the opposite. I only do cardio because i should. However, when i first walked into the gym and saw how beautiful those bodies looked with muscle definition i wanted in. I fell in love with seeing how hard i can push my body out of its comfort zone.

It has changed me so much inside and out and it is like a therapy to me. If im having a bad day i can go workout and not think about it....you cant do both....

^^^Totally agree with the last part. A lot of the time my mind flies at 1,000 miles a minute, but once I start lifting, it's like my mind is completely clear and all I focus on is lifting. I love it.
  • NikkiSixGuns
    NikkiSixGuns Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    Feeling like a boss when I get done with a session.

Doing things that I never thought I could do (or even thought I shouldn't do).

Achieving, after only 2 months of lifting, the changes in my body that I really wanted and didn't get with years of cardio.

Catching people scoping out my guns or being told that my legs are amazing, and knowing that it's all from lifting.

Knowing that I can take care of myself in this big bad world.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Realizing that I didn't HAVE to be the scrawny girl who could barely pick up a backpack. Feeling strong as a girl who had dealt with anorexia for years was a feeling I can't really put words to. Not needing to wait for someone else to help me lift things, get things, open a jar, etc... Realizing I could depend on MYSELF to do things that required strength, both small and great, was life-changing. It's shifted my goals from wanting to be the 95 lb weak girl to being able to be the amateur person at Highland Games (not that I've done that, but I WANT to be able to do that).

Falling out of clothing I fit in 20 lbs lighter also helps.

And like others have said... sometimes I don't love lifting. Sometimes I get a bit of malaise, and drop it down a bit, before going back, or just dread doing it... but generally, the fact that it's helped me conquer so many fears about calories I had with my ED (wait, you mean I can eat MORE doing this? And not get "fat"?!), I always make sure to be patient when my passion ebbs. Because it comes right back.

I <3 you Shelbs

:blushing: :flowerforyou:
  • jessspurr
    jessspurr Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I have been going to the gym 5 or 6 mornings a week for about 8 months and have lifted weights intermittently and not enough to really see any results that I can firmly thank lifting for.

OP, remember that you can't fall in love with something or someone if it isn't working.

If you've been lifting for 8 months and had no results, then you are doing something wrong, and that's why you haven't fallen in love with it. Just like a relationship fails when 1 side is the problem or when both sides are the problem.

Either:
    You aren't following a program
    The program you are following sucks
    and/or
    Your diet is messed up.

Fix it and then you might fall in love.

Well I think the reason I haven't had results is because I am not in a consistent lifting routine. So yes, I am not following a program. Good point.
  • belle_of_the_bar
    belle_of_the_bar Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I love love love lifting. Nothing in the world compares to the feeling of exhaustion, power and strength that I get after a lifting session, which I never got with cardio. I hated going to the gym before I started lifting, but now I'm addicted to the feeling I get afterward. Endorphins or whatever, it's like my mind and body are settled and working together. I know, sounds crazy. Plus, I have gotten to know the other ladies who lift at my gym, and we're all like a bada$$ sisterhood.

Oh, and actually having a butt from squats is a big bonus for me. :blushing:
  • zoober
    zoober Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Looks like the most important points have already been covered. Weight training should always be a little bit of a struggle. If you do a lift at one weight and can handle it without any discomfort, you need to go heavier. 8-)

What hooked me first was vascularity. When I saw my first bicep vein, it was a big deal. Then you start seeing some definition. And if somebody (cute) thinks your chiseled calves/thighs/shoulders/abs/whatever looks sexy, well. You'll never go back.
  • kellenas
    kellenas Posts: 154
    Options
    I've always loved cardio and never really got into weight training or lifting because I didn't know what to do, where to start, etc. After joining MFP and seeing the results that ladies were getting, I figured I'd give it a try. Finding the Stronglifts 5x5 gave me a clear workout plan and was simple. I'm on my fourth week and I absolutely look forward to my lifting days...not so much the cardio days. I just really like the way I feel after I'm done and seeing what I've accomplished.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options
    - the awesomeness of adding more weight to each lift. It comes much slower for me now, but I'm still able to increase the weight by a good 5 lbs for chest and shoulders and 10 lbs for lower body (squats and deads) pretty much every 4 weeks or so. It's a huge sense of accomplishment.

- having a little bow in your barbell is pretty awesome

- Getting tight...when all I did was cardio and diet I was losing a lot of weight but was pretty flabby. I actually weight about 5 Lbs more now then when I hit my goal but I'm leaner and tighter.

I'd personally recommend doing an actual program that is progressive and structured. If you're just sorta willy nilly going in and doing some machines or whatever here and there, you're never going to get the results you're after. When you do an actual intelligent program, it will dictate what you're doing on any given day and whether you should be trying to do more than last time or de-load or whatever...it's all laid out for you and you get the results.

DSC02436.jpg

^^190 Lbs in January 2013...cardio and diet only

DSC02617.JPG

^^^ 183 Lbs...just a few Lbs shy of my goal. This is after about 3-4 months of lifting and following a progressive programming routine.

20131124_151450.jpg

^^^@ 185/186 in November 2013...5-6 Lbs heavier than my initial goal but leaner and tighter. Roughly 10.5 months of following a progressive programming routine.

The barbell is mighty indeed...
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Looks like the most important points have already been covered. Weight training should always be a little bit of a struggle. If you do a lift at one weight and can handle it without any discomfort, you need to go heavier. 8-)

What hooked me first was vascularity. When I saw my first bicep vein, it was a big deal. Then you start seeing some definition. And if somebody (cute) thinks your chiseled calves/thighs/shoulders/abs/whatever looks sexy, well. You'll never go back.

chicks dig vascularity man.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    You will never experience a runners high like you will from lifting- the chenical reaction just isn't there.

It's different.

It's a sense of power- and accomplishment. Not a high.

I walk out of my gym feeling like I'm a motherfncking god. I do not do that when I run. I feel good- but it's not the same.

When you start to get really heavy- if you are doing a real weight training progressive lifting program- you set goals and accomplish them it gains satisfaction.

All the sudden lifting triple digits isnt' scary- it's your warm up. All the sudden your PR is now your OWN body weight.
    All the sudden the idea of lifting 300 some pounds off the floor doesn't' seem like an impossible feat for you.

These things make it satisfying. Keep at it- it gets better as you start gaining.
    I've started lifting over 30 years ago. I loved it from the first drop of sweat & the first callus on my hands. I am a effing god as you mention before, during, & after I step into the gym. Its a amazing rush.

But in all respect, I have only been running for 10 months. Two months into my first steps, I ran two half marathons in two days. That is 26.2 miles in two days. A month later I ran my first 5K ever, taking 2nd place in my age group. Two months later I took first place after pulling my hamstring 5 days prior. Last month I ran over 175 miles after been being hit my a car on my bicycle and injuring my hip and wrists. By the end of this year, I will have ran 1200 miles. All while lifting heavy & all while dealing with a joint destroying disease that had me walking with a cane last Christmas Eve. When I finish each and every run, I am just as bad *kitten* as when I walk out of the weight room.

I may not get a "high" when I hit the weights, but I get every bit of a "sense of power- and accomplishment." when I run as well as lift.
  • stretch0823
    stretch0823 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Being 50, I feel that it gives me an edge to compete with people younger than me. Maybe not but good for my ego
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I may not get a "high" when I hit the weights, but I get every bit of a "sense of power- and accomplishment." when I run as well as lift.

Good for you- that's quiet some work!!

I don't mean to say it's NOT an accomplishment to do those things- but the endorphin rush is not the same- there is a complete and different chemical thing going on. There is a fundamental basic- chemical difference between what happens when you run and when you lift. I've finished the BaTa'an Death March.. its' definitely an achomplishment- but there is no high I get from pulling weight from the floor.

it wasn't to belittle the accomplishments of cardio goals.
  • Bernadette60614
    Bernadette60614 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I don't love working out, but I work out 6 days a week, including lifting seriously 3 of those days.

What I love is having finished a work out and knowing that I did the most effective workout possible.

Also, after age 30, you lost muscle mass pretty steadily..so even though the number of the scale may stay the same, the composition of your body has shifted from less muscle to more fat (just aging and metabolism).

If you lift seriously (you don't have to kill yourself, but lift progressively), you can reduce that muscle loss.

I've been lifting seriously for 10 years, my bodyfat is 21% and I'm 50...now that is also diet, but unlike my peers my body shape hasn't dramatically shifted.

Finally, it may be hard to believe...but one day...we're all going to be old..I mean 70, 80, 90 (we're all living longer...). I don't want to be that frail old lady who can't carry a 5 lb bag of groceries, is afraid of falling cause her bones are so fragile, or who has to wait for someone to open the door for me.
  • EmilyJackCO
    EmilyJackCO Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I started out very underweight, sickly, weak, and terribly broken down. What weight training has done for my mental state is incomparable. I was falling over doing bodyweight lunges. I couldn't do a squat, even at 113 lbs (I'm 5'9"). But I also worked with trainers that were afraid of pushing me, and I was still too afraid to push myself. Add into that terrible anxiety issues and severe asthma, and I'm a bit of a mess.

It took two years of consistent work to get to the point where I felt confident enough to start pushing myself, but that's an internal issue. It took me another year of working with a REALLY good trainer to learn REAL form and weight work and start gaining in strength. But then, I started from 20 pounds underweight - and I think it's a little different...

Things went really really haywire last fall, and I lost all of my grounding. I started gaining stress weight really fast, and I couldn't find focus at all. I sat down with my trainer and talked to him about how to fix it and how to heal, and I also started reading and learning a lot more about fitness and diet and found MFP. So about a year ago, I recommitted, changed my goals, and started lifting progressively heavier. I have been in a deficit for most of the year since, so I haven't been building much muscle, but ZOMFG, what I have gained in strength and confidence and control.

Lifting helped me cope with a whirlpool of tragedy. It helped me find my center, myself. The aesthetic gains have been nice, but when you have zero self-esteem, it doesn't matter much. I keep lifting heavy 4x a week because I love what I can accomplish, both in the gym and out of it. I can manage my grief and my stress, knowing that none of that matters in the gym.

I see the strength gains every day in my life - just last week, I was able to walk into Target, pick up a great big 5-shelf bookshelf I've wanted for 6 years, but couldn't lift into my car or up the 2 flights of stairs into my house. I refused the help of the clerk and the gentleman in line behind me and it's now built out and bolted perfectly set in my living room. I was able to out-lift my 10 year younger, 100-pound heavier cousin at Thanksgiving. And I can do anything I want, all on my own.

I keep lifting because it has taught me to respect myself, something I didn't have for 37 years. I have confidence in myself that I have never had either. And, I hope that someday, it will start to grow into self-esteem... I have stopped hating myself for the most part in the past couple of months, so it's a start.

TL;DR - I lift much more for the mental health aspects than for the physical aspects, and that's completely fine with me. Like I said, the physical is a great bonus, but I've grown so much more mentally and emotionally, and that's what I needed.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I hate cardio! I would rather lift for an hour than do 15 minutes of the elliptical. I have a really strong lower body, so I love to see what my legs can do. I do work my upper body as well, and I love the days where I up my weights to see if I'm getting stronger. Unfortunetly my body needs cardio so I've reluctantly put my weights down and bought an elliptical for my house and spikes for my shoes so I can walk in the winter. It sucks, but it has to be done right?
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    I hate cardio! I would rather lift for an hour than do 15 minutes of the elliptical. I have a really strong lower body, so I love to see what my legs can do. I do work my upper body as well, and I love the days where I up my weights to see if I'm getting stronger. Unfortunetly my body needs cardio so I've reluctantly put my weights down and bought an elliptical for my house and spikes for my shoes so I can walk in the winter. It sucks, but it has to be done right?

Why put the weights down? Why not do both?
  • sarahi2009
    sarahi2009 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I was like you, I did not like doing weights even when I was younger, I felt it was useless and didn't "sweat" enough. As I got older I saw how beneficial it is and how much I craved to be lean an fit not only skinny...basically I thought "everybody can look good in clothes with the right fit, I want to look good naked" I really started seriously lifting about a month ago, I know not long but I feel so accomplished when I go up in weight...you wont' see it on the scale as much so don't depend on it, but you will see it on your clothes and to keep motiviated take progress pics...that will keep you going.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Because it makes me look awesome and makes me feel awesome. :smokin:
  • sammniamii
    sammniamii Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    The fact that I can now carry things (like the 50lb bag of litter) with no effort.
    The fact that my hubs asks me to open things he can't now or to hold this (insert heavy *kitten* thing) while he does this....
    I can carry ALL the groceries in at once with no effort.
    The fact that I can do positions with said hubs that neither of us could because neither of us where strong enough. :blushing:

Plus the looks of the guys at the gym who months ago laughed, now see me and go get a heavier weight to match me.

And, the all important reason - I was told as a child after my spinal fusion to NOT EVER lift anything more than 10-20 pounds. FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE..... :noway:

Because I was stupid and uneducated, I obeyed. The last few years have taught me that they know BUNK about things - if I had lifted earlier in my life, my joints wouldn't be so bad and I would have been in less pain.

And as to not seeing it - in a few months, I noticed a change. The more you stick to it, with a program (or atleast a good list of moves) the better results you'll see.