What made you fall in love with lifting?

Options

Replies

• denniskillz
    denniskillz Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I think for me it was watching the gains I had, and also lifting was a competition between me and my friends at my crossfit gym.
  • jessspurr
    jessspurr Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Wow! Such inspiring stories! Everyone here should be so incredibly proud of themselves! Thank each and every one of you for sharing your stories and your advice!
  • bcl003
    bcl003 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Sschwarzenegger. As a kid growing up in the 70's I was completely in awe at the sheer size and power such a physique could bring. Then I realized it was the best way to control my weight..........and my temper. Now it's something I need just to sleep at night. Few days rest is great, but after 4 days I start to feel physically sick and start having a hard time sleeping at night.

Wow!! I thought I was the only one that got sick or restless after not working out!!! I love all the things lifting does for me and the high is pretty amazing!!
  • DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say that I love lifting. I like lifting. I like to have muscle definition. I like not being overweight. I like to be fit.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    I may not get a "high" when I hit the weights, but I get every bit of a "sense of power- and accomplishment." when I run as well as lift.

Good for you- that's quiet some work!!

I don't mean to say it's NOT an accomplishment to do those things- but the endorphin rush is not the same- there is a complete and different chemical thing going on. There is a fundamental basic- chemical difference between what happens when you run and when you lift. I've finished the BaTa'an Death March.. its' definitely an achomplishment- but there is no high I get from pulling weight from the floor.

it wasn't to belittle the accomplishments of cardio goals.
    I know what you meant hun. What I was saying I get the exact same rush from weights, as I do running, & cycling for that matter. Maybe I'm a special snowflake. Hahahhaa. Probably means I have a chemical imbalance in my head which would make more sense...
    Congrats on your accomplishments!
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    The results!!!
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Okay I'm going back to my original posting here. After reading people's good stories. I lost my dumbbells during my move but really I fell in love with lifting a long time ago when I took a class as an elective. I liked the feeling afterwards. Feeling strong. It was important in getting over something that left me feeling vulnerable. Every time I would finish and surpise myself what i could do, I felt better. Better and better. I liked the feeling of that was something I did all by myself, with no help from a machine or anyone. All me. This time around same thing. I surprised myself right from the start what I could do after a long held injury, finally fixed thru surgery. I feel strong afterwards and capable and whole. And it gives me great pleasure to know that anyone looking at me would never know what I can do. But I do. :wink: gotta find those free weights or put them on my santa list.
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    The feeling of strength.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    The feeling of strength.

^ I shoulda just said that. brb.

looking back at my post I guess you could say...empowering.
  • ssaraj43
    ssaraj43 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Ten weeks into Stronglifts and I can see where my legs stop and my *kitten* begins. :drinker:
    I
  • thatonegirlwiththestuff
    Options
    Quite simply, the only alternative to cardio, which I happen to loathe. I love the definition I have, every part of my body is tight and perky and I'm extremely strong; results I never got from cardio.
  • joleenl
    joleenl Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I find lifting theraputic. When I lift I go into "my own zone" which is my happy place. I like the focus and concentration. The challenge. I feel strong and empowered when I lift. It's outlet to release stress.

I love the visual differences in my body. I love that my body is starting to feel tight and my celulite is going away. I like the defination that is starting to appear.

I love the health benifits. I love the reduced risk of everyday injury.

For me it's been since the begining of May so this is my 8th month of lifting. Everytime I go up in a weight I feel a sense of accomplishment. Lifting has changed me as a person too. It has given me confidence which has helped me deal with emotional and mental issues too.
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Lifting is teh siht. I'm glad I found it.

It is an incredibly empowering feeling being able to lift heavy things... off the floor, over your head, off of your chest, through concrete walls...

Even more so when you can look back in your records to see that you are now lifting more weight than you were just a week or two ago. Progress isn't lightning fast, but it is easy to see where the hard work is paying off.

I like that I can look in the mirror and notice that I look different. Certain muscles appear that I couldn't see before. Ones I saw before are bigger than before. My shape is changing for the better. This isn't the same skinny me that I've always known.

And then there's the health aspect. Strong isn't just strong, it's healthy too.

This is something that I can see myself doing for the rest of my life. I want to go into the gym at 70 and be the crazy old guy who lifts more weight than the 20 year old bros. Then I can get my old man voice out and tell them, "I've been doing this twice as long as you damn kids have been alive!" If gyms and heavy objects haven't been outlawed by that time.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Results, release of aggression, progression and finally finding something I can immerse myself in, and be surrounded by like minded people, without breaking the bank.
  • emjaycazz
    emjaycazz Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Because "You must do the thing you think you cannot do." (c/o Eleanor Roosevelt)

When I step up to the squat rack or the loaded barbell on the floor, it's all about banishing the doubting voice inside of my head that says "you can't." I push increasingly heavy loads around because I CAN, and the feeling I get when I DO is awesome.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    Because I can look good and feel strong without having to do cardio. True story.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I hate cardio! I would rather lift for an hour than do 15 minutes of the elliptical. I have a really strong lower body, so I love to see what my legs can do. I do work my upper body as well, and I love the days where I up my weights to see if I'm getting stronger. Unfortunetly my body needs cardio so I've reluctantly put my weights down and bought an elliptical for my house and spikes for my shoes so I can walk in the winter. It sucks, but it has to be done right?

Why put the weights down? Why not do both?

I didn't, i just shortened the routine. I am in and out of the gym in an hour, but i've dedicated more to cardio this go 'round then to lifting. I still love to lift, but it became a procrastination to getting my cardio done. I've seen way more results by increasing my cardio, it just sucks.
  • MisterDerpington
    MisterDerpington Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Years ago I couldn't even Press an empty bar overhead. Though I haven't made a lot of progress from inconsistent training, I'm much stronger now than I was then. Picking up boxes and furniture isn't so difficult like it was before. I feel more useful.
  • theopenforum
    theopenforum Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    During the weight loss, I began to notice that I wanted to please my mirror. I figured if I am already loosing weight I might as well build muscle at the same time and the mirror agreed with me 0.0
  • samkelly89
    samkelly89 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    bump for later