Evening work outs good or bad!

Options
2»

Replies

• NotAllWhoWanderAreLost
    Options
    i love evening workouts! I sleep quite well, have a bit more interest in "bedtime activities" (TMI!) and don't eat so many evening snacks (although i always plan SOME refueling into my workout plan). It works for me and my schedule, but then again, i am a night-owl by nature. .... I am currently working on getting some daytime workouts in (and struggling a bit, honestly!)
  • TateFTW
    TateFTW Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    Workouts = good. This is true almost any time, unless you get into overtraining, which is really quite tough to achieve without some serious weightlifting in there too or repetetive workouts, such as long distance running to prep for a marathon.
  • razorbecky
    Options
    bump
  • WeightingForSara
    WeightingForSara Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I think a workout ANY time is great, and I especially love to do mine later at night.
  • rachieladines
    Options
    I mainly work out at night after work because that is usually the only time I can get to the gym, and it's never kept me from sleeping!
  • lcouterm
    lcouterm Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I do 2, 30min -- 1hr per day one at 3 when I get up (usually cardio) to wake me up for the day and I do Strength around 7-9 at night and it helps me sleep.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    Someone please answer this question. They say you should eat your excerise calories, and you shouldnt eat so late at night, so if you work out at night, do you eat some or all of your calories back afterwards or incorporate them during the day?

I work out at night...i get as close to my budget at i can before i go to the gym, get my deficit and then work my *kitten* off...when i come home i have a protein smoothy to sooth my poor muscles, and maybe a handful of nuts, as long as I'm above 1200 and below 1610 i don't worry about it.
  • maharet111
    maharet111 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    There are good points for both a morning or an evening workout. Some of the scientific studies have shown that a morning CARDIO workout has benefits due to the "afterburn" effect as well as working out in the morning before you eat burns more fat than carboyhdrates due to the levels in your body after waking up.

I emphasize cardio above, my research hasn't show whether other less intensive workouts would have the same benefit.
  • maryrshstattoo
    maryrshstattoo Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I usually do my abdominal workout at 10:00 pm. I also find it helps me sleep better. I've heard some people say that it does the exact opposite for them.

I partially pushed back some workouts until later at night because I was trying to kick the late night snacking habit. Now, they are just what I do at night.

Good luck!

L.
    That sounds like a good idea to break the late nite munchies habit. I work 2:30- 8:30 pm and usually home and ready to chill by 9:15 I think I'm gonna add a 20 minute burn to my routine at night to see if it helps me cut out the munchies and sleep better.
  • maryrshstattoo
    maryrshstattoo Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    There are good points for both a morning or an evening workout. Some of the scientific studies have shown that a morning CARDIO workout has benefits due to the "afterburn" effect as well as working out in the morning before you eat burns more fat than carboyhdrates due to the levels in your body after waking up.

I emphasize cardio above, my research hasn't show whether other less intensive workouts would have the same benefit.

That is good info I have been doing a cardio before I eat good to know I am burning more fat in the am!!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Someone please answer this question. They say you should eat your excerise calories, and you shouldnt eat so late at night, so if you work out at night, do you eat some or all of your calories back afterwards or incorporate them during the day?

The only reasons not to eat late at night are if you can't stop (evening binger) or if you have something like GERD or are ust plain uncomfortable in bed after a meal.

It won't make a difference in weight loss.

That said, don't eat if you aren't hungry. Generally, I plan my days based on how many calories I plan to eat and I "bank" them. So, if I have 1,000 calories from previous days workouts because I wasn't hungry enough to eat them and I go over on a day I don't work out, I don't worry about it. I just chalk it up to previous days' leftovers.
  • ganesha303
    ganesha303 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I workout in the evening, and I eat my exercise calories. I eat at night before bed and am working steadily on attaining my goals without an issue.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I would say it also makes a difference in what type of exercise you are doing. Yoga is a great start or great end to exercise. You can do an AM or PM type of yoga to rev up or relax. Just add some relaxing yoga moves. I'd also way if you were worried about being jacked up before bed, try taking some magnesium at bed, 1200mg is a max safe does, but start with 200-500 as it can make stools loose if you get too much too fast.

Muscles are supposed to be the most limber and flexible between 4-6 pm if you work a day job and are on that type of schedule. I find strength training easier in the evening and running better for morning. It keeps me sane and relaxed for the day, and when I strength train it tires me enough to want to head towards bed. Make sure you are drinking enough water if you are exercising late, but that could interrupt your sleep too if you are getting up to potty.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I totally agree that ending with some yoga stretches would be very helpful in relaxing you and helping you sleep.