HELP! Going to go over my maintenance tomorrow! :(

I'm going out tomorrow night for a meal with my friends, at a Man v. Food type Burger joint franchise called Almost Famous (it's in the UK) This particular franchise deliberately has a a zero-information policy to whip up business on 'word of mouth' which unfortunately means no calorie or fat info on any of its' products. Even the menu is kept secret - WTF!!??

There doesn't seem to be anything in the database regarding generic 8oz burger, bun and fries either - so I can't track it. I'm genuinely terrified about going over my maintenance - and not even knowing by how much!!
It's a typical US diner type place - does anybody know what the standard calorie count seems to be across the board for 8oz burger, bun and fries?

Should I make my excuses and not go? Or do I give an absolute Rocky IV Training Montage in the gym tonight and skip meals tomorrow to earn the calories in advance?

Replies

• Ahh I know this place, I live in Liverpool and haven't been to Almost Famous but have seen pictures by people who have been !!
    Walked by it the other night and the smell....oh boy...vegetarians would be offended by even walking by it, it just stunk of meat :)

I'd not make excuses though, you have to have a life I'd try and eat light during the day and use your judgement to get the 'healthiest' option then just maybe take it easy for the next day or two food wise or up your gym work a little bit. I'd not cut yourself up over one meal though, just enjoy it and let us know what it was like !!
  • Poods71
    Poods71 Posts: 502 Member
    Just enjoy it. A treat once in a while won't kill you. Go to the gym and eat lighter during the day and the day after if you like.

I am going on my Christmas night out soon and I won't be counting one single calorie. It's not one day that puts the weight on, it's being consistently bad.

Enjoy :smile:
  • one meal is not going to make you fat is it! you have to put more effort in and consistently overeat over a period of time, it's not as easy as fat people make it look

obviously don't have fries or anything like that
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    why are you going to eat all 80 ounces? that's crazy. google "sunk cost fallacy." answer to avoid the sunk cost fallacy is portion control. you're going to pay the same amount whether you ruin your diet and make yourself sick or not.

work out regularly. eat at a deficit by a hundred to a few hundred calories per day the rest of the week if necessary. don't over think this.
  • moya_rargh
    moya_rargh Posts: 1,473 Member
    Ahh I know this place, I live in Liverpool and haven't been to Almost Famous but have seen pictures by people who have been !!
    Walked by it the other night and the smell....oh boy...vegetarians would be offended by even walking by it, it just stunk of meat :)

I'd not make excuses though, you have to have a life I'd try and eat light during the day and use your judgement to get the 'healthiest' option then just maybe take it easy for the next day or two food wise or up your gym work a little bit. I'd not cut yourself up over one meal though, just enjoy it and let us know what it was like !!

Yep - that's the gaff!

I'm more concerned about tracking how many I'm going over by so that I know whether I need to do ONE OR TWO MILLION WEIGHTED CHIN-UPS to work it off over the weekend! :laugh:
  • moya_rargh
    why are you going to eat all 80 ounces? that's crazy. google "sunk cost fallacy." answer to avoid the sunk cost fallacy is portion control. you're going to pay the same amount whether you ruin your diet and make yourself sick or not.

work out regularly. eat at a deficit by a hundred to a few hundred calories per day the rest of the week if necessary. don't over think this.

80 ounces!? I'm not THAT greedy! The burger is 8 ounces - typo recitified! :embarassed:
  • why are you going to eat all 80 ounces? that's crazy. google "sunk cost fallacy." answer to avoid the sunk cost fallacy is portion control. you're going to pay the same amount whether you ruin your diet and make yourself sick or not.

80 ounces!? I'm not THAT greedy! The burger is 8 ounces - typo recitified! :embarassed:

Haha, read that first as 80 myself then realised it was 80z you'd written !!
  • Dovekat
    Dovekat Posts: 263 Member
    If I can't find exactly what I want in the database I find the closest thing try adding two 4oz burgers a large white (assuming it is white not wholemeal) seeded bap/bun type thing one large portion of either Burger King or McDonald's fries etc etc it will not be accurate to the last calories but it will be a good estimation. Also as others have stated one meal will not undo all your hard work so enjoy your evening :happy:
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    Look at it this way........

If you're consistently maintaining a deficit of 500 cal per day and go over by 1,000 cal one day you've still managed a deficit of 2,000 cal for the week.
  • adorable_aly
    adorable_aly Posts: 398 Member
    Sounds like an amazing place :)

Honestly OP I wouldn't worry too much, eat a little lighter and throw in another workout. Things like this will crop up occasionally, just deal with it the best you can and move on.
  • silveropes
    silveropes Posts: 36 Member
    My first thought is order off the kids menu! get a burger and side from the kids meals so it will be closer to a normal burger.
  • einzweidrei
    einzweidrei Posts: 381 Member
    I would:

1. Just eat it.
    2. If I still had second thoughts, just reduce my calories the day before or the day after.

(I pay attention to weekly calorie counts.)
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Go. Have fun. Take what you don't eat home and have it for lunch tomorrow.

You can log anything. Type in 'hamburger, 85% fat' and log 8 oz. Type in 'kaiser roll'. Type in 'onion'. Type in fries - a zillion come up - and log in the closest to what you ate. I rarely eat in a chains. I travel a lot. I always log.
  • CanGirl40
    CanGirl40 Posts: 379 Member
    Maintenance should never feel like you're "white knuckling" it, or that you have to cancel fun plans for fear of going over your allotment. One meal shouldn't trigger a downward spiral if you're truly in control...

Go and enjoy, but modify. Save up some extra calories throughout the week. Or cut burger in half when you first get there...don't eat the bun, ask for only half the amount of fries...no dessert. You will feel great that you enjoyed a "fun" meal but got right back at it the next morning (instead of before when you might have just completely gone off the wagon!)
  • nccarolb
    nccarolb Posts: 858 Member
    If you really want to log it, try logging "ground beef - 8 oz" then hamburger bun. I do a lot of my foods by individual ingredients to get a a better estimate of calories.

And, have fun!!
  • moya_rargh
    Thanks, folks - I can log it now. Nearer to 1,000 than the 2,000 I initially dreaded. Good call on leaving the bun, too.

Lower body weights session to fire up the metabolism tomorrow afternoon and a 10km run on Saturday morning it is, then! :wink:
  • emjaycazz
    emjaycazz Posts: 330 Member
    Thanks, folks - I can log it now. Nearer to 1,000 than the 2,000 I initially dreaded. Good call on leaving the bun, too.

Lower body weights session to fire up the metabolism tomorrow afternoon and a 10km run on Saturday morning it is, then! :wink:

Have fun! I bet you kill it on your Saturday morning run because you'll have fueled up the night before.
  • here's my strategy. as soon as it lands in front of you, cut it in half, push aside half the fries and ask the waiter to put it in a doggie bag for your lunch on Saturday.
  • gregpack
    gregpack Posts: 426 Member
    This is maintenance- learn to make adjustments around the meal to account for the excessive calories.

Fast up to the meal if you like. when you sit down to eat, get the burger the way you want it.- add bacon or cheese if you like. Enjoy it and the company, don't worry about the calories at that meal. just make sure you don't go back for a few weeks for another one.

The next day, have a "diet day" 1000 calories below maintenance will take care of your overindulgence.. Its just one day, it won't be hard.