Your tip for not caving to Christmas party tempting treats?

Options
Office party, family get-togethers, charity ball, fundraisers, happy hour....... I would love to hear your words of wisdom!
May God bless us and keep us healthy and happy!

The Little Woman

Replies

• eledit
    Options
    I usually eat something healthy (usually fruit or greek yogurt) before going so that I'm not so hungry when I get there. :)
  • howardheilweil
    howardheilweil Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Try to exercise self-control... Eat what looks good, just in responsible portions. Stop eating when you feel satisfied.
  • aerochic42
    aerochic42 Posts: 822 Member
    Options
    -limit the **** tails, drink water or seltzer maybe furit flavored,
    -eat something healthy and filling before going;
    -take advantage of special limited availability treats or rather avoid the things that are always available (storebought chocolate chip cookies -skip, but ONE of Aunt Helen's uber-duber special only made at Christmas cookies - eat)
    -try to find some healthier options at the party; veggie or fruit trays, cocktail shrimp, nuts
    -keep a drink in one hand and a plate in the other; It makes eating much more challenging, especially if it involves utensils
  • elainecroft
    elainecroft Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    talk to people, and position yourself away from the food. make conversation the goal, not just the yummy treats.
  • karlsantiago
    karlsantiago Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    sorry i cant give advice on this, my only 2 cents is to go all out, enjoy your holidays man! be with familyand friends! have fun! but MAKE SURE the rest of your year you stay on your grind....think about it, theres only about 3-4 holidays a year where food is a big thing... winter holidays, thanksgiving, 4th of july, superbowl etc.

4 days out of 365, i think you will be just fine, HAPPY HOLIDAYS!
  • leslisa
    leslisa Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    I cave. But - I eat small portions and when the belly's full - that's it.

The important thing is that I run an average of 5 miles a day on vacation, and, as much as I hate, hate, hate it; I actually work out too, so I have a calorie surplus if suddenly act like a moron and eat a half a pie or something...
  • kristensaav
    kristensaav Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    If you are too tempted than workout more than you normally do. That is what I did on thanksgiving. It works. Workout harder, keep you portions to a minimum!
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Per my nutritionist, never go hungry. Always eat before you go and eat enough that you really don't want to eat what's there. Make sure to stay hydrated with water during and keep yourself on the other side of the room from the food tables. You are less likely to graze if you have to go across the room to do it.
  • Cayjominara
    Cayjominara Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    AAUGH! The Christmas goodie season is HERE! You are going to have to decide TODAY that you aren't going to give into certain sweet temptations. You need to resolve in your mind RIGHT NOW that you won't give in to it. Don't wait until the Santa cookies are in front of you to make that decision. That'll be too late and you'll get beat! Make the choice NOW, set up your system of principles and then commit to them! That's the key. By the time you get to the first Christmas party, you'll have already fully developed your will power and resistance. I don't know: your decision might be to not eat ANY treats, or it might be to limit yourself, but whatever your DECISION, make the full commitment to it and don't deviate. I'm not going to tell you to avoid the sweets. It's impossible. My house is FULL of pies and cakes and cookies. MY GOD! But I made a commitment to myself, and I will NOT be swayed. I just WON'T. You can do it too!
  • dunnodunno
    dunnodunno Posts: 2,290 Member
    Options
    -limit the **** tails, drink water or seltzer maybe furit flavored,
    -eat something healthy and filling before going;
    -take advantage of special limited availability treats or rather avoid the things that are always available (storebought chocolate chip cookies -skip, but ONE of Aunt Helen's uber-duber special only made at Christmas cookies - eat)
    -try to find some healthier options at the party; veggie or fruit trays, cocktail shrimp, nuts
    -keep a drink in one hand and a plate in the other; It makes eating much more challenging, especially if it involves utensils

This. I would definitely opt for the foods you don't eat very often rather than the foods you could eat any day of the week.
  • gabrielleelliott90
    gabrielleelliott90 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Well the thing is, these things only happen once a year. I know all the health nuts won't agree with me, of course, but it's not bad to treat yourself. I'm not saying you have to eat everything, but save some calories up and use those on what you want. And if you go over, exercise it off. December is all about enjoying yourself.
  • charliex2202
    charliex2202 Posts: 4,281 Member
    Options
    I recommend a needle and thread... i will be sewing my mouth closed that is the only way i will survive Christmas lol :bigsmile:

temptation everywhere!
  • imgritz
    imgritz Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I drink a glass of water before I eat. It help fills me up and I eat a little less.

It's ok to have a treat. Just don't treat yourself to all of the treats. :laugh:
  • mapenguinkeeper
    Options
    eat a salad or piece of fruit before you go.
  • FishingFan123
    FishingFan123 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I eat my entire meal before I go. Then I bring an already popped bag of popcorn to munch on while there.

If it a sit down dinner, I have only a salad as the main course with dressing on the side that I dip the lettuce in.
  • thelittlewoman_2000
    Options
    Good advice. A serving of my favorite yogurt, Fage Total 0 Greek is only 33 calories per serving.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    EAT
    DRINK
    SHRINK
  • thelittlewoman_2000
    Options
    Will do! Anything on a buffet will have to pass the eye test first. Congratulations on losing 33 pounds.
  • thelittlewoman_2000
    Options
    That's good advice---Sample the homemade offerings and pass on the bucket of Popeye's.
  • thelittlewoman_2000
    Options
    Popcorn will fill me up! Microwave 94% fat-free butter popcorn is only 30 calories per cup. Smart. congratulatios on losing 11 pounds.