Favorite Chain Restaurant Meal - Under 500

Hi All - I eat out a lot and I am going on vacation soon where I will eat out yet more so I need ideas. What is your favorite chain restaurant meal for under 500 calories that tastes good and leaves you full? It can be anything from fast food to fancy...

To get the ball rolling a current favorite of mine is Applebee's Roma Chicken and Shrimp - at 450 calories it doesn't break the calorie bank and it has plenty of protein to keep me nice and full.

Come on people - I know there are others out there who are hitting the chains!

Replies

• Fast-food wise Wendy's chili (no crackers or cheese) and a garden side salad (no dressing or a little bit) is a great go-to meal, under 300 calories and the chili will really fill you up for less than $5 for both. Oh and the grilled chicken with shrimp skewer on the Red Lobster lunch menu comes with rice and steamed broccoli ... you can always do double broccoli if you want to avoid the rice. I can't remember the exact calorie count but it definitely comes in under 500...as long as you can ignore the cheddar bay biscuits!
  • AddieOverhaul
    AddieOverhaul Posts: 734 Member
    When I'm on the go and need to hit up a drive through...2 McDonald's hamburgers is exactly 500 calories. Just don't get the pop and fries!
  • Brunette122
    Brunette122 Posts: 107 Member
    I just had Panera Bread today - The pick two broccoli cheddar soup and the bbq chicken salad come out to 440 calories :)
  • Brunette122
    Brunette122 Posts: 107 Member
    and...Panera bread posts all of their food calories on their menu boards so it makes ordering super easy
  • Justifier
    Justifier Posts: 336 Member
    Tendergrill (now called the Premium Chicken Sandwich on the menu) at BK is just under 500 as served. Without mayo it's even less. Sometimes I'll substitute mustard or BBQ on the sandwich instead of mayo.
  • Coming4U
    Coming4U Posts: 93 Member
    I love to go to The Cheesecake Factory. They have an entire Skinnyliscious menu where everything is around 550 calories or less I think. It is delish! Especially the Mexican Salad and the Gemelli chicken pasta.
  • Coming4U
    Coming4U Posts: 93 Member
    Subway is also a good standby. Wheat bread, lots of veggies, low calorie condiments and some turkey breast or sometimes I forgo the meat all together.
  • Au Bon Pain Tuna Garden Salad w/o dressing 270 cal w/lowfat viniagrette about 450.
  • Sarahnade42x
    Sarahnade42x Posts: 308 Member
    When I need something to go, Wendy's has an apple pecan chicken salad that's only 340 with the dressing - super filling and all the calories come from the right places. I also love the Cheesecake Factory and Panera because they give you all the cal info and it's fairly easy to figure out the best choices.
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Longhorn steakhouse has an under 500 menu that's pretty good. Steak, side salad, and veggies. Just don't eat the bread they bring to the table!!! My fav is either the flat iron steak or the napa chicken.
  • susangfinnigan
    susangfinnigan Posts: 2 Member
    I have a few.
    Quiznos - Regular Turkey Lite Sub - Turkey served with Lettuce, Tomatoes, Onions, Cucumbers, and Fat-free Balsamic Vinaigrette. - 490 Calories

Panera - You Pick Two - Black Bean Soup with a Classic Salad. - 250 Calories

Moe's - Personal Trainer Salad - With Chicken, Romaine, Pico de Gallo, Olives, Cucumber, Onion, Tomato, Cilantro - 359 Calories.

Chik-fil-A - Grilled Chicken Cool Wrap and a Side Salad (No dressing) - 410 Calories
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Hi All - I eat out a lot and I am going on vacation soon where I will eat out yet more so I need ideas. What is your favorite chain restaurant meal for under 500 calories that tastes good and leaves you full? It can be anything from fast food to fancy...

To get the ball rolling a current favorite of mine is Applebee's Roma Chicken and Shrimp - at 450 calories it doesn't break the calorie bank and it has plenty of protein to keep me nice and full.

Come on people - I know there are others out there who are hitting the chains!

No such thing, "filling" sub 500 cal meal?
  • impemberstar
    impemberstar Posts: 23 Member
    Jimmy Johns Turkey Tom sub is just under 500 and pretty darn tasty. Although, i'll admit i liked it better when they put sprouts in it instead of cucumber.
  • bekahlou75
    bekahlou75 Posts: 304 Member
    I love the Grilled Baja Chicken dinner at Cheddars. It has black beans, rice, pico de gallo, and grilled chicken. 490 calories.
  • mstina0305
    mstina0305 Posts: 3 Member
    WOW great question and some really good ideas!!!!!
  • juliehhallberg
    juliehhallberg Posts: 21 Member
    Chick-fil-A: 6 grilled nuggets, a side salad with light italian dressing, and a kids sized waffle fries is 505 cals.

Panera - the full sized BBQ chopped chicken salad (no tortilla strips) is only 380. I get the whole grain baguette for 180 more, or you could just do the apple for 70-90.

Mexican restaurants - I love the fajitas with no tortillas - just the meat and veggies. Calories vary depending on the size, but not generally over 500.

Now I'm getting hungry....
  • antxoable
    antxoable Posts: 86 Member
    SUBWAY FOOTLONG ham and turkey in hearthy italian with lettuce onions tomatoes sweetcorn and bbq sauce, just 560cals, a bit over what you ask but filling.
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    Panera You Pick 2: Mediterranean Veggie on White w/Broccoli Cheddar Soup (410 calories). Having it for dinner tonight--can't wait!
  • Fast-food wise Wendy's chili (no crackers or cheese) and a garden side salad (no dressing or a little bit) is a great go-to meal, under 300 calories and the chili will really fill you up for less than $5 for both. Oh and the grilled chicken with shrimp skewer on the Red Lobster lunch menu comes with rice and steamed broccoli ... you can always do double broccoli if you want to avoid the rice. I can't remember the exact calorie count but it definitely comes in under 500...as long as you can ignore the cheddar bay biscuits!

We all know that's a MAJOR challenge! lol
  • _errata_
    _errata_ Posts: 1,653 Member
    I like the Chick Fil A Chicken Sandwich with fruit and a diet drink. This book has more suggestions:

http://www.amazon.com/This-Thousands-Simple-Swaps-Pounds/dp/B002M3SP6O