No Carbs for how long? How long could one survive?

Options
1235»

Replies

• kevinc69
    kevinc69 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I've gone 3 years with keeping it under 25 grams a day.
    Carbs aren't needed (if you have fat on your body), nor is fiber (If you don't have a problem with pooping).

I always love the opening lines for most of the answers to:
    Q: Do I need carbohydrates?
    A: Carbohydrates are the main source of energy for your body.

Glucose is not the preferred fuel of muscle cells under normal human resting metabolic conditions or even under most normal human movement patterns (exercise). Fat is. ( http://tinyurl.com/mzpz2t2 )

The main issue is storage. Your body cannot store glucose in abundance, that's why it's turned into fat. When you have a diet full of carbohydrates, the body uses the glucose for energy. When the glucose runs out, you get tired, feel fatigued. If you eat low carb your body is metabolizing fat for energy. So, as long as you have fat, you have energy.

On a side note, that energy crash you get at about 3pm every day, it's from your glucose level dropping and your body is looking for more for energy. (Fat is always there for you)

I can work a 9 hour day, walk 10 miles at night and not be tired. Remember, under 25 grams of carbs, usually close to 15. So, in my non medically trained, non carbohydrate eating (for the past 3 years) opinion is, No. No, you do not need carbohydrates in your diet as long as you have any body fat.

(ducking to avoid the hate messages)
  • fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    You could survive forever in great health without carbs. No such thing as essential carbs. Otherwise, fats and protein are essential. Go for it.
  • BigBrock420
    Options
    As a worried father of a son with type 1 (we just found out last week at Rileys) This question has been nagging at me. I just want to thank you for sharing your experience with us. It's helped me a lot. My worry was, how do we deal with an emergency where we would not have insulin for a week or so. All though this should never be an issue, as a father I have to plan of anything. Knowing we can drop his carbs to near zero for a short term stretch and not cause any serious damage helps a lot.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    FYI Carbs are not the enemy.

No there not you are correct, there's nothing wrong with carbs.

For best health it's just best consume them in moderation.

My own person view & experience is I am most healthy when carbs are last on my Macro nutrient breakdown.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    My worry was, how do we deal with an emergency where we would not have insulin for a week or so. All though this should never be an issue, as a father I have to plan of anything.

Plan to ensure continuity of supply of insulin for T1 diabetics. Blood sugar can climb in the absence of insulin, even without eating carbs.
  • jillybeansalad
    jillybeansalad Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I will just leave this here.

http://www.fi.edu/learn/brain/carbs.html
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Hi jellybean,

I think you dropped this!:smile:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2874681/
  • Whambam087
    Options
    The Inuits survived on a practically zero carb diet with no fruits and veggies and they did just fine. They didn't really have a choice though.
  • kiwicant
    Options
    Forever... you only need fats and protein to survive... carbs are non-essential, but i do love'em
  • infinitesign
    Options
    I see this is an old post, but I can't help myself. I think low carb 20g or 30g a day is the best diet ever. I lost weight, and felt better than I ever had. I don't think it is bad to eat fruit and veggies if you can and stay at a healthy weight. I obviously could not, and would say I was probably just plain over eating. It is easier to not over portion on low carb and still maintain or lose weight. With your medical condition, once and for all, we will get to find out if no carb is ok. For you, it will be healthier it sounds like. I assume you need a good amount of fat?
  • infinitesign
    Options
    I agree with you. A little alcohol sugar now and again is ok too.