Would you take a job that pays

Options

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I would take any job I could to support my family. I would continue to look for a better job.

This is the only acceptable response I've seen thus far. If you can get a similar job with a similar wage closer to home, then get one. If you can't, don't be part of the lazy, selfish, unambitious masses who think it's cool to live on government assistance like you have some divine right not to have to flip burgers for a paycheck.

I couldn't even begin to calculate all the hours I spent working for FREE when I was in college. And I had no shortage of full-time job offers when I graduated.

Some humility and a little bit of work ethic will get you a lot farther than stubbornly insisting you are too good to work for minimum wage, and I say that more for the people responding in this thread than for the OP.

unemployment insurance is something we pay into. it's called insurance for a reason.

I used to think it was beneath me to take it... but the reality is I worked many hard long hours contributing to that fund. I love working- I'd never CHOSE to sit on my *kitten* collecting government money- but I'm sure not going to take a job I have to PAY to go to work for at 7.something an hour.... and when I was in construction- I worked 3 seasons and the winter seaons was pretty much part time- yup- I collected. no shred of guilt in me for it.

You gotta pick your battles- that one I'd stay at home and collect and find something else. ALthough I agree- there is nothing worse than people who think they can't work minimum wage.

One of my part time jobs paid 12$ an hour- and it was 30 minute blocks of time. Seriously- it was a joke- but I liked doing it.

I've applied to a lot of work in my time JUST to make ends meet- but someone on unemployment isn't necessary lazy.
  • karl39x
    karl39x Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I don't get out of bed for less than 20$ an hour any more.

I got $100 bucks an hour for you if you meet me at a hotel right now, no questions asked.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    For the people who seem to be implying that this would be a net-negative wage job. What the heck vehicle do you drive and how much do you pay for gas?

My wife's Ford Focus gets 35 mpg when driven well. 64 mile round trip = 1.8 gallons of gas. Round it up to 2 gallons to account for traffic. A gallon of gas in Missouri at the moment will run you $3. Let's call it $4 to account for the driving season and other fluctuations through the year. So that's $8 a day.

Even taking into account taxes, that's only about 90 minutes of your working day spent earning the gas money for the commute. You can improve efficiency if the option of 4 x 10 hour shifts is on the table instead of 5 x 8 hours.

Sure, perhaps you'd have a better initial net take home from benefits (I've never checked). But no one ever got promoted to manager/director/VP of collecting benefits. And sure, if you wait maybe you'd find something better paying, but you could also job hunt during your time off.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    For the people who seem to be implying that this would be a net-negative wage job. What the heck vehicle do you drive and how much do you pay for gas?

My wife's Ford Focus gets 35 mpg when driven well. 64 mile round trip = 1.8 gallons of gas. Round it up to 2 gallons to account for traffic. A gallon of gas in Missouri at the moment will run you $3. Let's call it $4 to account for the driving season and other fluctuations through the year. So that's $8 a day.

Even taking into account taxes, that's only about 90 minutes of your working day spent earning the gas money for the commute. You can improve efficiency if the option of 4 x 10 hour shifts is on the table instead of 5 x 8 hours.

Sure, perhaps you'd have a better initial net take home from benefits (I've never checked). But no one ever got promoted to manager/director/VP of collecting benefits. And sure, if you wait maybe you'd find something better paying, but you could also job hunt during your time off.

The shifts are only one hour a day.

BOOM. Net negative wage.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    I don't get out of bed for less than 20$ an hour any more.

I got $100 bucks an hour for you if you meet me at a hotel right now, no questions asked.

LMFAO- it's on like donkey kong
  • GratefulRCC
    Options
    6.5 hours a day
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    The amount of money you'd make would just go straight into your gas tank. You'd be lucky to be able to afford anything else.
  • stumblinthrulife
    Options
    The amount of money you'd make would just go straight into your gas tank. You'd be lucky to be able to afford anything else.

Again, what the heck vehicle are you driving, and how much do you pay for gas?

Even on a 6.5 hour shift and $4 a gallon gas, I've shown you'd be clearing 5 hours of wages if you have a relatively efficient car and you drive it well.

If you drive an H2 and you are in the position that you are looking at minimum wage jobs you should sell the frikking thing and get something smaller.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Waaaay better off working for minimum wage at a job within walking distance. Unless this particular job has upward mobility in a desired field.
  • stumblinthrulife
    Options
    Waaaay better off working for minimum wage at a job within walking distance. Unless this particular job has upward mobility in a desired field.

Well, yeah.

You're also much better off getting a job that pays six figures and allows you to work from home.

I think the assumption is that neither is an option.
  • JoRocka
    Options

Even on a 6.5 hour shift and $4 a gallon gas, I've shown you'd be clearing 5 hours of wages if you have a relatively efficient car and you drive it well.

If you drive an H2 and you are in the position that you are looking at minimum wage jobs you should sell the frikking thing and get something smaller.

I agree to an extent- I used to drive a beat up pick up that got 12 miles to the gallon if I was lucky- my office used to expect me to drive 35 miles to work in the morning and report for assignments- in the winter- for construction. If there was nothing they would send you home. Then they got mad at me when I told them I wasn't driving in for 1 hr of work I couldn't bill for- and the 1.5 hr drive time. Sometimes it doesn't pay. LOL

Yeah- if you are struggling with money- buying a fuel efficient car is king. I have a much nicer fuel efficient car- but it's still stupid for my needs- I'm getting ready to sell it because it's pointless to drive a car like I have. LMAO
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options

Well, yeah.

You're also much better off getting a job that pays six figures and allows you to work from home.

I think the assumption is that neither is an option.

So the working assumption here is the closest and only possible job this guy can get is over 30 miles away?

It's an unreasonable scenario. He'd be taking home $40/day before accounting for any expenses beyond gas.
  • Monkey_Business
    Monkey_Business Posts: 1,800 Member
    Options
    $7.75hr but you would have to make a 64 mile roundtrip??

Does it not really depend on what the whole benefits package is?

If its $7.75 for a part time job with no benefits: no brainer H311 No!

If its $7.75 +mileage+insurance+commission+bonuses+meals+housing allowance well then sounds like I would have to look at it alot closer.
    It also depends on where you are at in your career:
    For me, at the stage I am at, I would not even consider something then less $125K (annual); then it would have to be next store and I would have to unhappy with my current position.
    For someone with no experience and it has upward mobility with benefits, I would say look at it closer

Just one old man's opinion
  • Monkey_Business
    Monkey_Business Posts: 1,800 Member
    Options
    I would take any job I could to support my family. I would continue to look for a better job.

In the 80's I was making good money. $20/hr. Great money at that time. Lost my job. Went to a Temp Agency the next day. Got a temp job that was only paying $5 /hr. That's all there was out there. Had to make some adjustments, but I did. That job led to a permanent job. To a Management position. To where I am today.

It's easier to find a job when you have one.

Well said!
  • stumblinthrulife
    Options

I agree to an extent- I used to drive a beat up pick up that got 12 miles to the gallon if I was lucky- my office used to expect me to drive 35 miles to work in the morning and report for assignments- in the winter- for construction. If there was nothing they would send you home. Then they got mad at me when I told them I wasn't driving in for 1 hr of work I couldn't bill for- and the 1.5 hr drive time. Sometimes it doesn't pay. LOL

Yeah- if you are struggling with money- buying a fuel efficient car is king. I have a much nicer fuel efficient car- but it's still stupid for my needs- I'm getting ready to sell it because it's pointless to drive a car like I have. LMAO

I think we can conclude the real answer is "The question has too many unspecified conditions and is designed to cause dispute".

Basically, do the math based on personal situation. :smile:
  • JoRocka
    Options

I think we can conclude the real answer is "The question has too many unspecified conditions and is designed to cause dispute".

Basically, do the math based on personal situation. :smile:

GTFO of here with that logical rubbish!!!!

LMAO

I think the only way I would take an ultra low paying job was
    1.) close enough it's not an inconvenience
    2.) I LOVED doing it
    3.) it was NOT my main source of income- or it was toward the bottom of "i'm getting desperate"

I did take that 12$/hr job- and for what I put into it- I was NOT getting paid- I only got paid per client and often had them spaced out- so I would be there from 5-9 and only have 3 clients- that's 18$ and there was definitely a point when it wasn't worth the hassle no matter how much I loved it.

You can find a low paying job closer to home and save on the wear and tear- but yes easier to find a new job when you already have one.
  • GratefulRCC
    Options
    "seasonal", $7.75, 6.5 hr each shift, 64 mile roundtrip

And i Forgot its at 4AM each morning.

No Benefits
  • stumblinthrulife
    Options
    "seasonal", $7.75, 6.5 hr each shift, 64 mile roundtrip

And i Forgot its at 4AM each morning.

No Benefits

4AM is good. Less traffic = better gas mileage.
  • stumblinthrulife
    Options
    No benefits sucks, but my answer remains basically the same. If it's the choice between my family starving and taking a crappy job for low pay, then bring on the crappy job.

Would I like it? No, probably not. Would it suck? Yep - donkey balls. Would I have to sell my house and a car to cut down expenses to make it work? Yep. Mind you, if I were selling my house, I'd take the opportunity to move closer to the work.

Overall it's still better than starving. In that position you can't afford to get diva about what you are 'worth' or what you 'deserve'. You are worth what you can convince someone to pay you.
  • smittybuilt19
    smittybuilt19 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Someone bring me up to speed here. Can an individual choose not to work and just collect GA instead?

Also, I have worked low pay jobs that are far away from home while trying to find something better. I always say I'd rather be able to pay 75% of my bills than 0% of my bills.