Cold weather running

Options
13»

Replies

• greenhudler
    Options
    I actually have one of those face masks things!!! Looks just like that, but is pink camo. (my mom won some weird giveaway online!) But I feel like I look like a total scary weirdo in it!!!! Don't have the guts to wear it out just yet, but maybe once it gets even colder out I'll be singin' a different tune! haha!
    I completely understand lol!! I almost didn't wear it because I thought that if I saw someone in one it would be creepy, but then it got cold and I decided I had no choice if I wanted to keep running :P
  • happycauseIride
    happycauseIride Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    All great advice. LAYERS! I find that, in addition to my body, my lungs "get cold". For me, transitioning them to warm them up helps. So when the weather dips below about 25f I wear a bandana around my neck, and start my run with it pulled up. As I get warmer I start breathing through my nose some, and about 5 minutes in I'm able to move the bandana down and go about my run.

This is the problem I have. The rest of my body is dressed warm enough, but the cold air on my lungs makes me tire quickly. I will have to try a scarf and see if that helps. Thanks.

OP, I wear running tights and a pair of wind pants over them as cold as 15 so far. The running tights alone are not warm enough for me and if my legs get cold, they get stiff and I'm done. And I have a wind jacket that I wear too. I sweat like crazy in it, not because it's too hot but because it's doesn't breath, but it keeps the wind out and I stay warm. I just wear moisture wicking shirts under it. I like warm weather much better. :) Good luck!
  • happycauseIride
    happycauseIride Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    it's 66 here today so I suggest running tights and a hoodie

lol..this is shorts and a tee running weather
    Shorts & tee for anything above 30.

30? It gets that cold?

Um, I have 8 degrees right now and the sun is shining.
  • leslisa
    leslisa Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm in FL now but I'm from IN.

1st tip: For tops: Visit Goodwill and/or garage sales for different sized sweatshirts. I used to start with two or three sweatshirts over my t and as I got 2 or 3 miles in I'd start shedding - wherever/whenever it felt right. If someone stole my $1 sweatshirt they needed it more than me. That was 30 years ago :laugh:. I still do the same, but usually just with one sweatshirt over my running bra, then t, then sweatshirt. If I get really hot (it can be 50 b-4 sun and 75 when the sun comes up during a 1 or 2 hour run) - I'll stuff the t into my waistband.

Bottoms: Don't like anything with a foot in it. My feet will sweat and then turn to Popsicles. I actually prefer my calves uncovered but my knees covered. Go Figure. Occasionally I would wear leg warmers but I'd strip those suckers off about the time the sweatshirts started coming off.

Feet: I always wore my regular running socks. Back in the day they were crap. Sweat wicking ones are awesome now.

Hands: Oh so important. I'll be warm everywhere but my fingers will be numb. Get a good fitting pair of gloves of whatever type you like. I experimented witch a few pairs until I found some I really enjoy. They are bright yellow and also act as beacons to morons who want to run me over.

Face - Scarf, mask, bandanna - anything to cover my mouth or my lungs used to burn like crazy. My fav was bandanna cause I could breath easier.

Ears - Also always cold. I prefer a band but have worn a beanie. Has to accommodate my hair being pulled back (it's down to my waist).

Shoes - if you are running where the roads are frozen you might need something with better grip than you normally wear so you don't slide and land on your tailbone (does that sound like first hand experience? - cause it is). Embarrassing and hurts for quite a while. I think if I was running in those areas now I'd wear XC cleats.

Fav places to get cheapo, quality running gear is Bealls Outlet and Ross off the clearance rack. Amazon Warehouse sometimes has some good stuff too. I always check clearance for running stuff if I'm shopping. Never know what you'll find.

Prob most of this was covered above but no time to read everything :happy:
  • tempehforever
    tempehforever Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Here's how I decide what to wear based on temperature:

60 degrees and up: shorts and tshirt/tank
    50-60: shorts, lightweight long-sleeved top
    40-50: cropped tights, long sleeves + tshirt
    30-40: long tights, long sleeves + tshirt (maybe gloves)
    20-30: long tights, long sleeved-shirt + zippered outer layer, hat and gloves
    10-20: very thick tights (or 2 pairs), 2 long-sleeved layers + zippered outer layer
    Under 10: treadmill :)

I generally don't carry water unless the temp is into the 70s.

For races, however, I wear shorts and a tshirt unless the temp is below 40. I'd generally rather be too cold than too hot.
  • bkbenda
    bkbenda Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Here is a link where you can enter weather/run conditions and it will recommend appropriate clothing.

http://www.runnersworld.com/what-to-wear
  • jannalovescoffee
    jannalovescoffee Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Here is a link where you can enter weather/run conditions and it will recommend appropriate clothing.

Great link! Thanks!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

That's very cool!
  • RunBrew
    RunBrew Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I just got back from an easy 3-mile taper-run for a Half Marathon on Saturday. It's currently 10*F with a 3mph wind.
    Race weather for Saturday's 9am gun-time is predicting between 0 and 4*F

I wore the following for the run today,
    Feet: injinji toe socks with Darn-Tough light hiker calf socks over them, Merrell Mix-Master trail runners sized up for more socks
    Legs: REI Powerflyte tights and wind-proof front runner briefs
    Top: Fila Mid-weight 3/4 zip mock-collar running shirt, Marmot "Stride" running jacket
    Hands: cheap neoprene running gloves
    Head: standard fleece beanie and sunglasses

This pile of gear is my standard go-to when under 20F.
    bewteen 20 and 30, I'll go lighter tights, same shirt but no jacket and swap for some cheap knit dollar-store gloves, and a lighter merino wool beanie.
    Above freezing I go to shorts or some thin tights and a lighter long-sleeve T, no hat, keep the gloves for warm-up.
    At 40, it's shorts and Short sleeve T.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I may sound dumb, but do you guys carry water when you are running? If so, how? I have a large nalgene and it gets heavy :p

I don't unless I'm at the gym. I drink water before I run and then again after.

Me too. I don't need water unless I'm running more than 10 miles.

ETA: This thread scares me. Where I live it rarely ever freezes. I can't imagine running in the cold. I'm such a big baby that I whine when it gets down into the low 60's!!! I :heart: warm climates!
  • tempehforever
    tempehforever Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    ETA: This thread scares me. Where I live it rarely ever freezes. I can't imagine running in the cold. I'm such a big baby that I whine when it gets down into the low 60's!!! I :heart: warm climates!

See, I have the opposite problem. I think the ideal running temp is about 35-40 degrees. I whine when it gets above 70--I hate getting overheated! :)
  • ksy1969
    ksy1969 Posts: 700 Member
    Options

See, I have the opposite problem. I think the ideal running temp is about 35-40 degrees. I whine when it gets above 70--I hate getting overheated! :)

LoL, this is my wife. She doesn't like running above 70 degrees. I love it. I love getting my sweat on. I also like running when the temp is 35 to 40 degrees. However, below 20 degrees and it is off to the treadmill at the gym. Same thing if there is ice or fresh snow.
  • happylife2014
    happylife2014 Posts: 128 Member
    Options

This is great!! Thanks much!
  • happylife2014
    happylife2014 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I may sound dumb, but do you guys carry water when you are running? If so, how? I have a large nalgene and it gets heavy :p

I don't unless I'm at the gym. I drink water before I run and then again after.

Me too. I don't need water unless I'm running more than 10 miles.

• khakstol
    khakstol Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Something to consider in cold weather is the change in the cushioning of your shoes. As the temp drops so does the cushioning effect of your runners. Ice is always a challenge as we often get Chinooks which melt the snow turing paths into ice. When this happens I add Yak Trax to my runners to make the my footing secure. Also I never try to run for pace when the conditions are cold and the footing is icy. I just set myself an amount of time to run and go as far as that is for that particular day.