Worried about the gym

Options
Sounds stupid but I was worried about going to the gym. I feel people will judge me etc. anyone else had these worries/anxieties?

No rudeness please!

Replies

• Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,181 Member
    Options
    Some people in the gym will get judge, and people will be rude to you. Its part of life.
    Just ignore it. Others will be more concerned with what they are doing..
  • jfauci
    jfauci Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    It's not stupid at all. I did in the beginning. But then I realized that I didn't really care what others thought. I did start out with one session with a trainer so I could learn to use the machines properly. After that, I plugged in my music and kept to myself. And now, about 6 months later, I am more confident.

Another idea is to go when the gym is relatively empty. I've started to work out at 4 AM (when the gym opens) and there are only 5 or 6 of us there. It's a good time to work out and build your confidence.

Either way, don't worry about what others think. You are doing this for YOU!!!
  • sandra748
    sandra748 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I think everyone feels like that at first. I admire anyone who is taking positive steps towards being healthier. Don't be embarassed, be proud!!

Good advice above. I usually go when it's not busy, too, around 7 pm. That gives all the people who are just getting off work time to clear out. And I block out the ones who are left. I am there for me, not for them.
  • Teeganv85
    Teeganv85 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I was thinking about joining the gym today and that was my second reason why I didn't join up (first being money). I kept trying to tell myself that you are all there for the same reason so it doesn't really matter what other people think - but its still hard to make the first move.
  • joannadalina
    joannadalina Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I was worried before I started going but I don't anymore. I bring my music, put on my headphones, and tune out everyone else. I don't even talk to anyone there. I go in, sweat like hell, and then leave. Don't be worried about other people, focus on yourself :)
  • doglover1984
    doglover1984 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Mostly everyone is at the gym to get fit or to stay fit. But yes I have had those feelings, my husband has an open gym membership that I used once. I don't know if it was my own lack of self confidence or what but I felt very uncomfortable. I have never been back lol. But I do get a killer workout at home, so if you are really worried about the gym buy a workout dvd and do it at home. I have only set foot in that gym once, the rest I have done at home and I am down 62pounds. Or you could also go with an all women's gym if you are really uncomfortable. But looking back at the way I was in the gym, I think I would say just put in your headphones and get er done lol. Who cares what other people think, this is something that will make you feel good about you and that's all that matters. Good luck and keep smiling :-)
  • Lennonluv2
    Lennonluv2 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    Yes! In the beginning I went with my husband and that helped a lot. It's been almost a year and now I go alone more and still have moments where I feel anxious.

My gym is almost always crowded so I have learned the times when it is better and I try to go then. Like Sundays when football is on, perfect....! All the men are home watching and it's a beautiful thing.....Good luck
  • JSE81
    JSE81 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    You'll quickly realise no one cares or is judging you and they're simply going about their business hoping you're not judging them.
  • CompressedCarbon
    CompressedCarbon Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I was worried about that too and guess what I've found? No one cares.

I walk in, put in my earbuds, turn on the music and it feels like there is an invisible wall of music between me and everyone else. And everyone else is doing the same thing. The only time I pay attention is if I'm waiting for something that is being used.

Never in my life did I imagine I would look forward to my gym time. But in a very short time, it's become my favorite time of the day. No one bugs me while I'm there. I can focus on what I'm doing and the rest of the world falls away. Try it consistently for a few months and I bet you'll feel the same way.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    There are two types of people who go the gym: the honest hard workers and the show boats.

The honest hard workers may include the larger crowd, the skinny people, the muscular, the super models, etc...
    The Show Boats may include all of these as well.

What separates the two is the work they put into being at the gym. Honest hard workers are people like the 300 lb man who walks for 30 minutes on the treadmill or rides the bike for 30 minutes. It might be slow, but you see him there day in and day out and by the time he leaves he is covered in sweat. Or they may be the new female who is just venturing out into the world of free weights. Her form might be a little off, but every day it gets better and better and the weights get heavier and heavier. If you are one of these people who go there...you won't get mocked, or judged, or made fun of. These people stand out as being honest and true and deep down, the veterains at the gyms admire their determination and persiverance.

Show boaters are the people that are mocked or made fun off. They are the obnoxious "lifters" who go in every single day, grab the 5 lbs weights and do 100 million bicep curls in front of the mirror and watch as their arms flex up and down, hoping to see the "growth" of muscle that will never happen. Or they are the drama queen females who go from machine to machine, do one or two reps, then text, then do two more reps, then text. The minute a hot guy walks in, they are pumping iron as if the empty set will impress them, when in reality all they are doing is causing a bunch of banging on the machine as the plate slams into the top of the machine.

If you go in there with a mission, it will be obvious to everyone else who is there. They will know you are there to make yourself better and to become a stronger person. No one will judge you for that.
  • carrietehbear
    carrietehbear Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    It's important to remember that the gym isn't the way Planet Fitness makes it seem on commercials. Go in with a plan and don't be afraid to ask questions. I made some life long friends at my old gym (sadly, I moved too far away from that gym to continue going).
  • plm209
    plm209 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I think it depends on the gym you are going to.

As a beginner, you're better off joining a chain type gym (LA Fitness, Planet Fitness) or something like the YMCA. If you go to a hardcore gym right from the start, you may get discouraged quickly. I started at the YMCA then Planet Fitness before moving on to my real gym. It allowed me to get some confidence, learn proper form and build a little muscle before running with the big dogs.

The gym I go to now caters to powerlifters, crossfitters, bodybuilders and fitness models. If I were to have started at this gym, I would have probably been discouraged right from the start, even if nobody was actually judging me. We all compare ourselves to others, even subconsciously. It can be very intimidating when you can barely press the bar and there's a guy next to you with six wagon wheels on a fat bar repping out sets.

Summary: Join a beginner's gym, lift/run/workout there for a year, evaluate your gains and decide wether its time to step up to the next level or not.
  • simsburyjet
    simsburyjet Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Find a class or piece of equipment you like.. Setup a routine and you will meet people with similar goals who
    will encourage you and be there for you. It is fun being around fit people who mostly just want to have fun.
  • mrsamanda86
    mrsamanda86 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    I was really intimidated when I joined my new gym because I've usually just gone to planet fitness, and they have all kinds of people. The gym I go to now, everyone definitely looks like the gym has always been their way of life LOL. But once I got over being basically paranoid about it, I realized it was like any other gym. Everyone is there to work out, a few people socialize but not about the other people. I stick to myself, other than the occasional smile of acknowledgement. Worked out just fine :smile:
  • KayleighIsGoingFatToFit
    Options
    Thank you guys and I'm not sure what you mean by a beginners gym and we don't have all female gyms where I am lol
  • JamieM8168
    JamieM8168 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Most people in the gym are too busy doing their own thing that they don't worry about other people in the gym. I give credit to anyone who steps inside the gym and would never judge anyone (except for the women just sitting there texting on the weight machines but thats a whole other story :p)

Go in there, do your thing and be proud.

Tip: Bring headphones. It helps.
  • Dame_Venus
    Options
    There is a free fitness center at my gym. I was always terrified to go because I was afraid of the same thing. I asked my mother, who is also a larger lady to come with me since she had already been there. There were people of all sizes and levels there. No one bothered me or gave me a dirty look. I got so confident that I went 5-6 times a week alone.

I haven't gone lately but a fitness center is opening closer to my home. I spoke to the manager and signed up for membership. I explained to him my fears and he had me watch a video about larger members who had joined. He pretty much explained that everyone starts from somewhere and it's the staffs job to support us without judgement.

I know people tend to just say "Oh, worry about yourself" or "You are there for you not them" but I understand the anxiety of being judged.

Maybe you could talk to someone at the gym or perhaps someone you know who goes there but I honestly think that people at fitness centers are so in the zone that they aren't focused on people around them.

I think you'll do great. Good luck!
  • Obeah1
    Obeah1 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    For most people the self consciousness exists primarily in their own minds. The reality in a gym full of strangers is that not only will they not judge you, but they are busy doing their own thing and won't even pay attention to you.
  • jennz81
    jennz81 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    No need to worry. :) Most people are more concerned about what they're doing to really pay attention to anyone else. You may get the occasional douche-nozzle, just ignore them and do your own thing.
  • plm209
    plm209 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys and I'm not sure what you mean by a beginners gym and we don't have all female gyms where I am lol

By beginner's gym I mean a gym like Planet Fitness. Just Google them and you'll see what I mean.