I'm a Chauvinist?

Options

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    People spend too much time generalizing and glorifying previous generations. Times change. Social norms and mores change as well. Embrace it and focus on the positives rather than holding onto "the good ol' days" and "back when I was a kid..."

This is the other part of it I hate as well. People chalking it up to, because modernism.

That's disgusting to act like it's ok to be an utter db just because time has elapsed.
  • Cali_Chica
    Cali_Chica Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    People spend too much time generalizing and glorifying previous generations. Times change. Social norms and mores change as well. Embrace it and focus on the positives rather than holding onto "the good ol' days" and "back when I was a kid..."

As for opening doors, I think you're generalizing. From my experience men still do this for women. Some don't but most do that i have expeienced. And it's not chauvinistic, its courteous. My opinion.

Me thinks nice boobs = more opened doors.

So chauvinistic but touché :tongue:
  • kronos36m
    Options
    I think it goes the other way to. Last night I was leaving a restaurant and held the door for 2 women so they could enter. Both were so wrapped up in their conversation that neither one said Thank you. This happens a lot and makes me wonder why I'm being nice and holding the door for people that are unappreciative.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    One of many reasons I moved back to the South.
  • AZ_Gato
    AZ_Gato Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    I think it goes the other way to. Last night I was leaving a restaurant and held the door for 2 women so they could enter. Both were so wrapped up in their conversation that neither one said Thank you. This happens a lot and makes me wonder why I'm being nice and holding the door for people that are unappreciative.

I agree, but it doesn't bother me. I don't do it so that they can gush over my gentlemanly ways. I do it because it's just common decency.
  • Tiernan1212
    Tiernan1212 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    Unless my own hands are full I will always hold the door open for someone (and even if they are I can still prop the door open with my hip lol), regardless if it's a man or a woman. I teach my children to do the same thing. Like a few other people have said, I also help if someone drops something, let the person with 2 items go ahead of me when I have a full cart at the store, and always thank someone for their help.

To me it just comes down to common courtesy for humanity :smile:

Edited since I can't seem to type this morning
  • da1128
    da1128 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Geez. Maybe the kid didn't see her or had someplace to be. He's a college student not a doorman.

He may not be a doorman, but he's a total asshat and a rude one at that! Maybe he 'did' have someplace to be, but what? He couldn't spare five seconds of his precious time to be courteous? Bah.
  • dbmata
    Options

I see that a lot too. I generally just say you're welcome. They usually get it.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options

As for opening doors, I think you're generalizing. From my experience men still do this for women. Some don't but most do that i have expeienced. And it's not chauvinistic, its courteous. My opinion.

Me thinks nice boobs = more opened doors.

So chauvinistic but touché :tongue:

not really chauvinistic if it's a true observation.
  • VeroniqueBoilard
    VeroniqueBoilard Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Depending on the flavor of feminist, yes, you're an oppressive **** for holding a door open. Depending on the flavor of normal person you're talking to, they'll say that it's a kindness, and a way to acknowledge the humanity of another without cost or effort.

I'm pretty sure I'm a feminist AND a normal person and will say please and thank you if someone show me kindness. I'm also pretty sure that, with my vagina and all, I still hold door open for anyone who his behind me or seems to need it, offer help to women with baby stroller on the subway, let my place for elderly people...

I also do not believe it is a generational problem at all. Maybe college kid in general hold door less often then older person, but I'm pretty sure that if that is true, it was also true 10-20-30 years ago... and those college kids are now you.

I'm sorry you met spiteful woman, but do not make the mistake of saying spiteful woman = feminist...
  • KarmaKills
    KarmaKills Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Geez. Maybe the kid didn't see her or had someplace to be. He's a college student not a doorman.

Yep...this is a perfect example of a rude comment made by the younger generation...altho you're 26 y/o and should know better. The jerk PASSED her. She was carrying 2 HUGE items so I highly doubt he didn't notice her. Did he have somewhere to go? I'm sure he did. Was he in a hurry? Probably. But it would've been a common courtesy to stop for 10 seconds and hold the door open. A lot of youth today are rude, self absorbed and think the world owes them everything.
  • dbmata
    Options
    I'm sorry you met spiteful woman, but do not make the mistake of saying spiteful woman = feminist...

You've never been to Berkeley or SF have you?

:laugh:
  • AZ_Gato
    AZ_Gato Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    Depending on the flavor of feminist, yes, you're an oppressive **** for holding a door open. Depending on the flavor of normal person you're talking to, they'll say that it's a kindness, and a way to acknowledge the humanity of another without cost or effort.

I'm pretty sure I'm a feminist AND a normal person and will say please and thank you if someone show me kindness. I'm also pretty sure that, with my vagina and all, I still hold door open for anyone who his behind me or seems to need it, offer help to women with baby stroller on the subway, let my place for elderly people...

I also do not believe it is a generational problem at all. Maybe college kid in general hold door less often then older person, but I'm pretty sure that if that is true, it was also true 10-20-30 years ago... and those college kids are now you.

You can hold a door open with your vagina? WHOA...

mind = blown
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I just finished my masters and spent a lot of time on a college campus that is 75% male and 90% nerd, not in the south. Those boys hold doors open too much. I often felt the need to hurry to the door so he wasn't standing there for 10 minutes as I was 100ft way.

So you can't generalize an entire generation on one less than courteous kid.
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    Honey, if that's chauvinism, then I love chauvinists. In my part of the lower 48, they are everywhere and for that I am thankful.

I taught all three of my girls that if someone holds a door for them, THANK THE FELLA. That door didn't open itself.
  • ekz13
    ekz13 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    regarless of hands full or not, its just good manners to take a 1/2 second and see if anyone is passing through the door right behind you and hold it and not let it shut in their face.. I see WAY too much of this lately ..

pisses me off.. if people took a second to see how their actions impacted the people around them and have some manners, it'd be a much better place.
  • bigphatcat
    bigphatcat Posts: 7,843 Member
    Options
    What happened to manners? Opening doors for other people? Giving up your seat to a woman or an older person? Standing when a woman enters the room?
    Went to pot with the first iphone. Kids these days... no I kid. When I lived in SF, I've had women tell me to **** myself for opening the door for them. When I was in Boston no one opened the door for women, particularly in the dingbat hell known as Cambridge. Here in Spokane, where there is a higher percentage of rednecks, and dudes with spines, there are more people that hold doors open for each other.
    These are just common courtesies that we were raised to practice. Does showing courtesy and/or deference make me a Chauvinist?

Sadly, today's parents have utterly failed when it comes to training their children to at least acknowledge the humanity of others. They've allowed unfettered consumption of technology, leading to functional (or marginally so) people who are socially idiots at worse, and deep on the path of sociopathy at worse. I would say though, the population skews more towards worse case than best case.

I am so offended! Stop making sense and good rational points
  • missdibs1
    missdibs1 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I have noticed a general tendency towards this behavior (especially in the 25 and under crowd).
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    Was he raised in a barn or under a rock? He should have held the door for her. That is common courtesy and common sense. I don't know if it's a regional thing, but I really miss Southern gentlemen and Southern hospitality in general since moving to Detroit. In my opinion, those values are just normal and not being overly polite.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Remove "woman" from just about every statement and it's not chauvinism, but common courtesy.

I agree. If someone of any gender was carrying a bunch of heavy stuff, and another person of any gender happened to be going through the door, it would have been nice for that person to hold the door open. I don't see what gender has to do with it.